Since I wanted to make a post stating something that I came with about the Adams, I thought I'd read the entire thread to make sure it wasn't mentioned beforehand. And, unsurprisingly, it was Reichu that mentioned it... for the most part. I wrote down some comments as I was reading, so I'll post those before I get into my own idea. Some of these are in response to posts that are about 3 years old, so I apologize in advance if they seem to come out of left field.
- All of the Angels in Rebuild generate a halo (or halos) at some point in their appearances. Some may not be readily apparent - especially Ramiel's - and Zeruel may only have used his in an attempt to squash Unit-02, but I'm pretty sure they're all accounted for.
- Eva-01 was stopped in the process of evolving during Near-3I. If you look at it just before the end of the film, it looks like a cross between its original bound form and the three-eyed Adam, energy wings and all. If the process had been allowed to continue, I'm fairly sure Eva-01 would have ended up looking just like that Adam.
- When someone mentioned the blood-covered hillside we see in the beginning of 1.0 with the giant crucified silhouette, the thought of Golgotha popped into my head. I know that Golgotha Base is where the Dummy System was made, but I'm not sure if its location was ever mentioned.
- Isn't it at all possible that Eva-01 is in itself the giant whose silhoutte is left on the hillside?
- When Reichu proposed the "Super Adam's" original spear splitting into the four that we see during 2I, I got an image of the two interwoven tines of the spear unraveling and then splitting multiple times and reweaving together to form four spears.
- The theory of the Four Adams representing the Four Adams made me think of the "winged creatures" that are symbols of each Evangelist: Matthew = winged man, Mark = winged lion, Luke = winged ox, John = eagle. I just thought it had a neat connection with the "Wings of Light" that the Adams have.
Okay, now that's over with, here's what I noticed.
In the 2.0 image of the Four Adams, it's almost as if the right side of the image has been cut off. If we take Eva-01's appearance during the climax as a reference to the rightmost Adam, then we know that the third eye is not
this figure's core, as some have suggested. So why would the image display the cores of the other three Adams so openly while concealing that of the fourth? Maybe it's because this fourth Adam actually has a dual core, just like Eva-01 did when it absorbed the core of Eva-00. (If anyone was uncertain, that was NOT the core of Zeruel - his cracks and explodes after Eva-01 pulls the smaller core out of it.) If the animators had shown the dual-core during the 2I flashback, the connection between Eva-01 and the Adams would have been blatant.
It would seem that Eva-01 requires two cores to start its Pseudo-Evolution, since it was immediately shut down once the Spear thrown by Mark.06 pierced one of them. Whether or not it was specifically Eva-00's sphere that was needed is not clear. If it was, that may imply that both Eva-01 and Eva-00 were derived from the same Adam, his dual core being split up between the two.
Well, that's my wall of text for today. Comments and hole-punching alike would be greatly appreciated!