What are the "Adams"?

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

[Spoilers] What are the "Adams"?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:35 am

First six posts originally from this thread and split-merged long after the fact. -Reichu

Okay, I could be reading into this too much (lol Eva) but due to playing Evangelion 2 on Friday, I suddenly noticed something rather...interesting.
Considering that in the Eva2 game, the characters sorta have a Rebuild look to them, maybe I'm not so off with this potential connection after all...

Just please note my camera's a piece of crap and doesn't do these pics/scenes from the game justice but at least you'll get the general idea of what I'm saying.

A sudden Bad End that can happen during gameplay/if you fail in battle is an Angel making their way to Terminal Dogma and of course, causing Third Impact.

Here, Rei is embracing the Angel as they enter Lilith together....

(For those curious, Rei is saying "Let's go home, everyone... And, let's all meet again.")

I know the second pic is hard to make out, my camera's a piece of crap. The white Angel blob is on the left, Lilith (Rei) is on the right, still embracing it. (You can see it much more clearly in the acutal game.) The words which I intentionally left in here, say "Angel (Shito) and Rei".

Does they remind you of anything? This is the fanmade Next-time Preview pic, btw.

I'm starting to wonder if those "Adams" in the Preview are simply what the Angels look like with just their souls and not necessarily anything else that's going to be "new". Basically, this theory as opposed to there being more Angels that happen to look like how they do in the Preview.

Sudden thought: Perhaps "Adams" is just the another word to describe the Angels, similar to the term "Lilin"?
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:00 am

Sailor Star Dust wrote:Sudden thought: Perhaps "Adams" is just the another word to describe the Angels, similar to the term "Lilin"?

I've thought the same thing. They should definitely be swatted across the wrists for such a wretched perversion of Hebrew, in any case.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:36 am

No more a slap on the wrist than those American kids who watch some anime and feel like popping random words of Japanese in their speech is cool.

It's not.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:09 pm

The inverse problem might be considered a chronic disease of the Japanese people as a whole.

They could have at least done "Adamim", which probably isn't strictly correct, but it's far better than "Adams". (Unless we're talking about multiple First Angels or something, in which case it would be "permissible".)
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Sceleris
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Sceleris » Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:19 pm

Reichu wrote:Unless we're talking about multiple First Angels or something, in which case it would be "permissible".

That just might be the case. Look at the ADAMS picture. Maybe the different cores stand for "different Adams": The first core has a ring around it, the second has six dots around it, the third is plain vanilla and the fourth is in the head (third eye?).

So, maybe the Moon Giant is a being unrelated to both Adam and Lilith, excavated from a third seed found on the moon? Maybe the new Dogma Giant is also an unrelated being? (And thinking of the masks, maybe Lilith on the cross is really an "Adam type" while the one on the moon is a "Lilith type"? Wild stuff!)

Then again, it may be just a bad image (bad camrip), or just not important.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:20 pm

I still think it's going to wind up simply being how the Angels look with only their souls, but I guess we'll find out.

What would suck though, is half of the stuff in the 2.0 preview not being so important after all. If Anno were to do that....... :evil:
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Anti-Goth
Clockiel
Clockiel

What are the "Adams"?

•      
  •      

Postby Anti-Goth » Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:38 am

An idea that's been kicking around in my head after seeing Rebuild screenshots showing the entities referred to as Adams.

I think the idea that they're meant to represent the souls of Angels has been brought up, but I think I've realized another possibility. Yes, I am suggesting that the Adams are the FAR.

If I remember correctly, Reichu and several other members once remarked that the FAR would look like smaller versions of Adam. Well...

Take away the pylons used to restrain Adam, shrink her, and add a halo; she'd look a lot like the other 'Adams'. If the FAR resemble Adam, then perhaps they are appearing in Rebuild in the form of the Adams.
"you ever had tempura ice cream
SHIT IS KAWAII UGUU AS FUCK, SON
AS FUCK" -damage

Szmitten
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

Re: The 'Adams'=FAR?

•      
  •      

Postby Szmitten » Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:42 pm

Anti-Goth wrote:If I remember correctly, Reichu and several other members once remarked that the FAR would look like smaller versions of Adam.

...I don't think you remember correctly. It doesn't make sense for the FAR to look like Adam instead of normal humans, or vice versa.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: The 'Adams'=FAR?

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:48 pm

Szmitten wrote:It doesn't make sense for the FAR to look like Adam instead of normal humans, or vice versa.

No, she remembers the proposal correctly. (See e.g. here.)

The "Adams" don't really resemble Adam any more than they resemble Lilin, though, aside from having a "Giant of Light"-like thing going on, which was never Adam's natural state anyway.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

The Goose
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby The Goose » Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:42 pm

I agree that it could be the FAR, but, from what was in the trailer, I think that the FAR don't even have actual bodies. They seemed to look like ghosts, so they couldn't have bodies.

Szmitten
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Szmitten » Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:51 pm

Meh.

Either way, I don't think there's much evidence in regards to the form of the FAR. "Making God in their own image" doesn't do it enough for me.

Sceleris
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Sceleris » Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:47 pm

Probably just imagery, but do you think the halos may be of some importance? Even though Rebuild of and Old Century Evangelion are different beasts, might it be related to the halo Rei-00 gets in episode 23'? (That's the only other halo I remember.)

universalperson
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby universalperson » Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:52 pm

Armisael was a halo. Before it turned into the snake thing...
Avatar courtesy of RetroRainbow, and the Eva art book.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:55 pm

universalperson wrote:Armisael was a halo. Before it turned into the snake thing...

I always associated that with the imagery of ophanim, a type of angel described as "wheels of fire".
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:59 pm

Sceleris wrote:might it be related to the halo Rei-00 gets in episode 23'? (That's the only other halo I remember.)

WTF! That's not in mine version of the episode, is this also part of the directors cut? :x

Also If the FAR were to resemble humans more...well Adam is the first human, so they would look like Adam. So maybe that is a definite possiblity that Adam is part of the FAR.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:04 pm

Sachiel_13 wrote:
Sceleris wrote:might it be related to the halo Rei-00 gets in episode 23'? (That's the only other halo I remember.)

WTF! That's not in mine version of the episode, is this also part of the directors cut? :x

Yes, in the DC version of 23.

universalperson
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby universalperson » Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:11 am

Reichu wrote:
universalperson wrote:Armisael was a halo. Before it turned into the snake thing...

I always associated that with the imagery of ophanim, a type of angel described as "wheels of fire".

Well, that could work too. And its also sentinent DNA!
Avatar courtesy of RetroRainbow, and the Eva art book.

Anti-Goth
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Anti-Goth » Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:48 pm

The thing is, the scene with the Adams always reminded me of those alien abuction accounts. The UFO occupants usually appear in a similar manner. And the shot that shows the eyes strengthened the connection for me.

Since the FAR are aliens, and this seemed to be a combination of Adam and abuduction imagery...well, you do the math. Most likely I'm totally fan-wanking, though.
"you ever had tempura ice cream
SHIT IS KAWAII UGUU AS FUCK, SON
AS FUCK" -damage

Cogboy
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Cogboy » Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:09 am

the fact that Rei and these light beings all share halos just further cements the theory that they are/represent the white giants (Adam, Lilith, moon giant, others?)
"My point? "Sick and Depraved" is a banana." - Soluzar.

"I have those frameless glasses and shit. And emo glasses, but I broke them 'cause I got angry. :( " - Shnooks.

"Old quotes are old" - Cogboy

Phantom_Blitz
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Phantom_Blitz » Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:00 pm

Has anyone notices that each one of the "ADAMS" have a different looking core? The one on the far left has a circle around its core. The one next to it has a small dot on top of it. The one in the center is probably the one most familiar with. And the one on the right has a dot above its eyes. The different arrangement of cores probably depict what kind of "Fruit" was given to them. The center one probably possesing the "Fruit of Life" and the one on the right possesing the ""Fruit of Wisdom" (Since the dot on its head might symbolize its brain)

The other two may posses unknown fruits.

Also a bit off topic, Why is the FAR planting life throughout the universe? Are they bored? Feeling lonely? Gonna harvest our souls to further their own life?

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”