Evangelion References and Homages

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: Tributes to Neon Genesis Evangelion in other Anime and Manga

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:13 pm

The "brain in a jar" trope has been a sci-fi staple since films were black and white, and doesn't apply to the MAGI anyway, so I'd bet the reference is to something else. The black and red monoliths are kind of Seele-ish, though.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Re: Evangelion References and Homages

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:24 pm

I thought he meant "Sagi" being reminiscent of "Magi" - it's a bit weak though.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:05 pm

This may well be chance - but are you reminded of that moment in Q?

http://gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1712
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Sep 13, 2016 3:15 pm

Which moment? :p
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Tue Sep 13, 2016 3:38 pm

Shinji pulling the spears and fucking the world over AGAIN.

Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Tue Sep 13, 2016 3:44 pm

Again?
Never let the flame that is hope burn out, for despite the length of the night, the sunrise will always come
""Trolling the audience" is the same thing as "challenging the audience" (to an audience that doesn't want to be challenged)." -Reichu

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:30 pm

View Original PostArcadia's legacy wrote:Again?

Let's not have that discussion here. I've made my opinion on the topic of Shinji in Q/3.0 more than clear enough on other threads.

Director Black
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Director Black » Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:12 pm

View Original PostRay wrote:The most recent episode of Steven Universe Referenced End Of Eva.

Fuck, now I really need to get started watching this show.
Anywhere Can Be Paradise as Long As I Have the Will to Live...

...after all, I am Alive, So I'll Always Have the Chance to Be Happy.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:44 am

View Original PostRay wrote:Shinji pulling the spears and fucking the world over AGAIN.

You could have just said something boring and straightforward like "skewered Lilith corpse in Central Dogma", you know...

Anyway, I was pretty much drunk/high/otherwise affected (unexpected drug interactions will do that) when I initially responded, and yet I did not readily make the association that pwhodges was going for. Doing so required actual mental effort. So I'm going to go out on a limb and say that any possible connection here is so tenuous that it might as well not exist. However, this conclusion in and of itself might require recreating my full-body stupor and then systematically testing my responses to various stimuli and *faints onto keyboard*
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:54 pm

Flip Flappers. The early episodes are all Trigger-inspired, but starting with episode 10 the Eva references are all over the place. And it's weird, because this is not an Eva show; it's not a deconstruction of a genre, and the tone and themes are wildly different. But even so, the character beats and the thematic elements and the visuals evoke Eva left, right, and sideways once the shit really starts to hit the fan. And yet, despite all of that, it's nothing like Eva. It's very much its own show, and that's insane and bewildering and wonderful all at once. It's an absolutely fantastic show, and comes highly recommended.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:34 am

View Original PostBagheera wrote:Flip Flappers. The early episodes are all Trigger-inspired
Just Trigger, or Gainax in the large? The associations I got from the first episode included Papika harking back the Daicon IV girl role, as well as Trigger's Imaishi-style wackiness.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

SoryuUberAlles
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby SoryuUberAlles » Fri Dec 16, 2016 6:29 am

"You're just turning this into a mixture of gibberish and fan service! That's not the Evangelion I know!" - An Asuka, one of many.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:46 am

The second reminds me more directly of the God Warriors.

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot
Location: Somewhere between the light in my heart and the darkness in my soul

NGE in Other Media

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:23 pm

Not sure if this is the right place, but I didn't find anything when I searched the forum that deals with this, at least not that I found anyway...

So, are there instances where you're watching another show or looking at something different where you see something EVA related? I was browsing the Gundam wiki tonight, looking through some pages I, and noticed this pic of someone who looks awfully familiar.

Larger Image Here
She certainly looks an awful lot like best girl contender Rei Ayanami, or am I just being paranoid? I was on this page about MS GIrls when I found the above pic.

So, has anyone else noticed any EVA characters, or character look alikes wandering around other anime, or other media in general?
Last edited by DarkBluePhoenix on Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

Snow
Lilith

Re: NGE in Other Media

•      
  •      

Postby Snow » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:28 pm

Well, Ayanami has spawned a ton of clones and inspired-characters in both appearance and personality (or the lack of it), so i wouldn't be surprised to the slightest.

And i have noted a couple of characters with heavy similarities with EVA characters. The funny thing being, my favourite example is actually pre-EVA.
Fuyutsuki did nothing wrong.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:39 am

Grey-haired bishie boys are a not uncommon reminder of Kaworu.

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:38 pm

I do believe both the Regular Show and Steven Universe had reference scenes to Evangelion, Teen Titans also did the whole dance scene from Dance Like You Want To Win.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_OC-RAm7Qs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qz2lIwKI8NA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kojpi1G1yOY
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:04 pm

Think this is the thread you're looking for.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:20 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:Think this is the thread you're looking for.

Thanks, threads have been merged.

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot
Location: Somewhere between the light in my heart and the darkness in my soul

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:26 pm

Bagheera wrote:Think this is the thread you're looking for.

Yeah, I clearly looked in the wrong place, never thought to search the word "homage"
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”