Evangelion References and Homages

A forum for discussion of other Gainax works, people belonging or related to Gainax and the non-Eva projects they've worked on, media that reference or have distinct parallels to Eva, etc.

Moderator: Board Staff

Reichu
Alien Sex Meddler
Alien Sex Meddler

Re: Evangelion References and Homages

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:44 am

View Original PostRay wrote:Shinji pulling the spears and fucking the world over AGAIN.

You could have just said something boring and straightforward like "skewered Lilith corpse in Central Dogma", you know...

Anyway, I was pretty much drunk/high/otherwise affected (unexpected drug interactions will do that) when I initially responded, and yet I did not readily make the association that pwhodges was going for. Doing so required actual mental effort. So I'm going to go out on a limb and say that any possible connection here is so tenuous that it might as well not exist. However, this conclusion in and of itself might require recreating my full-body stupor and then systematically testing my responses to various stimuli and *faints onto keyboard*
Avatar: Oh Boy! Dr. Sam Beckett, Reimagined as a Cloyingly Adorable Chibi Unicorn (Osamu Tezuka's Unico)
Crying Man (Or, How Misato's Dad Found God): Read at AO3 & Discuss Here.
"Fighting idiocy is like fighting a hydra. Cut off one head, two more grow back and need to tell you their uninformed opinion." - PeeJee, Something*Positive

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:54 pm

Flip Flappers. The early episodes are all Trigger-inspired, but starting with episode 10 the Eva references are all over the place. And it's weird, because this is not an Eva show; it's not a deconstruction of a genre, and the tone and themes are wildly different. But even so, the character beats and the thematic elements and the visuals evoke Eva left, right, and sideways once the shit really starts to hit the fan. And yet, despite all of that, it's nothing like Eva. It's very much its own show, and that's insane and bewildering and wonderful all at once. It's an absolutely fantastic show, and comes highly recommended.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:34 am

View Original PostBagheera wrote:Flip Flappers. The early episodes are all Trigger-inspired
Just Trigger, or Gainax in the large? The associations I got from the first episode included Papika harking back the Daicon IV girl role, as well as Trigger's Imaishi-style wackiness.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics|G+|MAL
SHE WAS ELEVEN YEARS OLD
SHE LIKED TO HELP PEOPLE

SoryuUberAlles
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby SoryuUberAlles » Fri Dec 16, 2016 6:29 am

"You're just turning this into a mixture of gibberish and fan service! That's not the Evangelion I know!" - An Asuka, one of many.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:46 am

The second reminds me more directly of the God Warriors.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: Shinji feels oddly embarrassed sharing a bath with Kaworu (details); Past avatars.
Afterwards... a post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Return to “Related Works & People”