Evangelion References and Homages

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Super Mega Ultra Deluxe
Embryo

Evangelion References and Homages

•      
  •      

Postby Super Mega Ultra Deluxe » Wed Jun 23, 2004 8:44 pm

I bleive this would go here.
I love seeing refernces and things to movies and shows I like, especially Evangelion. Here I'll list some of the ones I noticed.
Please add your own!

Invader Zim: Episode "Hamstergeddon": Possible reference or maybe a joke (see commentary, someone asked about a homage to Eva he thought was in the episode). When Ultra Pepe is fighting he does a very anime style charge (which is mocked in commentary as "taking from Evangelion")
Episode "Megadoomer": Vasquez remarks that a robot with a plug idea is very Eva-esque (but of course Dirge who came up with it never heard of it before :P)

Sgt. Frog Vol 1: (pg. 27) Mother is portrayed as Unit-01
Sgt. Frog Vol 2: (starting pg. 140) Keroro dressed up in "Sound Only" costume (pg. 92) Keroro mocking Giroro much as Gendo would mock Shinji, while standing above a frog looking Unit-01 (pg. 132) Student acting like, or at least looking like, Gendo (I'm not sure if this is intentional Eva joke or not)

Mystique Issue 4: (which I bought just because of this <:P) New Sentinel design looks awefully familiar...

FLCL: Takkun's dad, Kamon, wrote a book on the "Mysteries of Eva"
Pointed out by Dave

Super Robot Wars Scramble Commander + SRW Alpha: Features mechas, angels, and characters from Eva
Pointed out by NeonZ

Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi: "Pyramid of Anime" has Eva on third (or second) shelf
Sasshi's sister dresses up like Rei Ayanami in the wacky sequence(As I like to call it) in episode 26.
Arumi does an episode preview and she does an impression of Misato
Pointed out by RubberSoul
Episode 3 has Eva battle music
Pointed out by KaworuNagisa17

Comic Party: Ep. 2 of Vol. 2 there is a parody on Misato's fanservice gimmick
Pointed out by RubberSoul

Gah I've been bad at updating this, still have some I've found and can't recall for the life of me.
Last edited by Super Mega Ultra Deluxe on Mon Sep 13, 2004 10:50 pm, edited 8 times in total.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

Re: Evangelion References and Homages

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Wed Jun 23, 2004 8:53 pm

Super Mega Ultra Deluxe wrote:Invader Zim: Episode "Hamstergeddon": Possible reference or maybe a joke (see commentary, someone asked about a homage to Eva he thought was in the episode). When Ultra Pepe is fighting he does a very anime style charge (which is mocked in commentary as "taking from Evangelion")

If you're refferring to the DVDs.... and they have commentary, I'm so there. Invader Zim is by far one of the greatest cartoons ever made. But that's a different topic of discussion.

The episode where Zim got the robot exo-suit that could turn invisible kinda reminded me of Eva, in that they had to keep it plugged into an electrical socket to keep it powered and invisible.

Super Mega Ultra Deluxe
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Super Mega Ultra Deluxe » Wed Jun 23, 2004 9:32 pm

Yeah, it's an awesome show, and commentary has main man Vasquez himself.

Hah, I never thought of that. When I saw that episode I didn't see Eva yet, so the thought didn't occur to me. Maybe that's what the commentary guy ws reffering too? He brought up the question about an Eva refference, but I think he was joking when that particular scene I mentioned came up.

Quiddity
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Quiddity » Wed Jun 23, 2004 9:55 pm

Also of note are references and homages Eva makes itself. One I particularly like is the final line of the series, "And to the Children Congradulations!" which is a homage of "Happy Birthday Dear Children" from Ideon: Be Invoked, my second favorite anime movie after End of Eva.
"Quiddity is the sea. And in it are islands, called the Ephemeris. Three dips in the dream-sea. Any less, and we'd be insane. Any more and we wouldn't be human"

Super Mega Ultra Deluxe
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Super Mega Ultra Deluxe » Thu Jun 24, 2004 2:36 am

Yeah, most refrences Eva makes itself go over my head. Haven't seen Ideon or probably most things it might make homages to.

I wish I did though, it'd be a fun thing to look out for once if I re-watch the seires.

Phaze
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Phaze » Thu Jun 24, 2004 11:45 am

If you go here and scroll down, you'll find a list of the origins of all the characters names.
Also, in this
Megatokyo strip, Erika is wearing Misato's cross necklace.
The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!

Asuka Loves Toji
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Asuka Loves Toji » Sun Jul 04, 2004 12:04 am

Eva also makes many refrences to one of annos other anime Nadia. there used to be a site with them all it was rather cool to see, if i find it agian ill post a link.
comming soon so a siggy near you

GraveDigger
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby GraveDigger » Fri Jul 09, 2004 12:39 am

References that me and my sister found to Evangelion, was on FLCL, also known as Furi Kuri. They used to play that show on cartoon network. To me and my sister we found a lot of Evangelion references, it seems to be that if they were hintting at the last episode about second impacted, or leading up to second impacted. I don't know, if its just me and my sister.

(If any of you have seen it, you'll know what I'm talking about)
Stop pissing me off - I'm running out of places to bury the bodies.

Dave
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Dave » Fri Jul 09, 2004 12:54 am

Takkun's dad wrote a book about the mysterys of eva. :lol:
Beatus vir qui suffert tentationem.

EVA-01X
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby EVA-01X » Fri Jul 09, 2004 10:57 am

That would be a long book.....
The demon returns after a long slumber....
http://www.evamade.org/user.php?id.161
New Signature Image Policy
^Clicky for Evamade!

Phaze
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Phaze » Fri Jul 09, 2004 2:34 pm

Tsurumaki directed FLCL y'know...
The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!

GraveDigger
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby GraveDigger » Sat Jul 10, 2004 10:00 pm

I didn't know that Tsurumaki, had any thing to do with FLCL. Thats cool I love both shows.
Stop pissing me off - I'm running out of places to bury the bodies.

NeonZ
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby NeonZ » Wed Jul 14, 2004 1:05 pm

hum... does Super Robot Wars count as a cameo? It's a game with robots from many different animes.

Super Robot Wars Scramble Commander

http://www.srwmuseum.it/sc/screens1/mini-sc_357.BMP.jpg

http://www.srwmuseum.it/sc/screens1/mini-sc_348.BMP.jpg

http://www.srwmuseum.it/sc/screens1/mini-sc_332.BMP.jpg

http://www.srwmuseum.it/sc/screens1/mini-sc_291.BMP.jpg

Super Robot Wars Alpha

http://www.srwmuseum.it/alpha/screens1/SRW888.JPG

http://www.srwmuseum.it/alpha/screens1/SRW173.JPG

http://www.srwmuseum.it/alpha/screens1/SRW901.JPG

http://www.srwmuseum.it/alpha/screens1/SRW655.JPG

http://www.srwmuseum.it/alpha/screens1/SRW647.JPG

Dave
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Dave » Wed Jul 14, 2004 2:12 pm

Chibi Unit 01 and Unit 02... havn't seen that before.
Beatus vir qui suffert tentationem.

EVA-01X
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby EVA-01X » Tue Jul 20, 2004 6:26 pm

Was it here that somebody said that in Final Fantasy VII in the Golden Saucers Showroom there is a D-Type Equipment thingie? If it was here, then I just wish to confirm it. Also in FFVII, Odin's Grunge Lance attack looks very similer to Unit-00 throwing the lance... it even rips through the atmosphere the same way...
^Clicky for Evamade!

Quiddity
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Quiddity » Tue Jul 20, 2004 9:05 pm

EVA-01X wrote:Was it here that somebody said that in Final Fantasy VII in the Golden Saucers Showroom there is a D-Type Equipment thingie? If it was here, then I just wish to confirm it. Also in FFVII, Odin's Grunge Lance attack looks very similer to Unit-00 throwing the lance... it even rips through the atmosphere the same way...

What, the dark, depressing atmosphere throughout most of the game? Wow, I didn't know Evangelion invented that, especially when I saw it so present in shows like Ideon from the early 80's. :roll:

EVA-01X
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby EVA-01X » Tue Jul 20, 2004 11:25 pm

Atmosphere was ment to be taken litterly there... I ment the sky. When Unit-00 throws the lance, it tears apart the clouds over Tokyo-3, When you Summon Odin, he is accompined by a giant rainstorm. Then he throws the Grunge Lance it it rips apart the sky in the same fashion as the Lance of Longinious. I guess I should clarify things a bit more, eh?
^Clicky for Evamade!

Esion
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Esion » Tue Jul 20, 2004 11:54 pm

I knew what you ment by atmosphere right away.
Yea and God said to Abraham, "You will kill your son Issac." And Abraham said, "I can't hear you, you'll have to speak into the microphone." And God said, "Oh I'm sorry, Is this better? Check, check, check... Jerry, pull the high end out, I'm still getting some hiss back here."

RubberSoul
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby RubberSoul » Wed Jul 21, 2004 1:45 am

Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi has quite a few Evangelion references especially in episode three.
-Sasshi's sister dresses up like the Rei Ayanami in the wacky sequence(As I like to call it) in episode 26.
-Later on in the series, Arumi does an episode preview and she does a 'spot on' impression of Misato.

So far from what I've seen of Comic Party, there's only one Eva reference. In the episode preview for the second episode of the second DVD, there's a parody of Misato's 'fan service' um... (For lack of better word) 'thingy'.
Last edited by RubberSoul on Fri Jul 23, 2004 5:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
I can only take so much retarded.

Quiddity
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Quiddity » Wed Jul 21, 2004 6:50 am

EVA-01X wrote:Atmosphere was ment to be taken litterly there... I ment the sky. When Unit-00 throws the lance, it tears apart the clouds over Tokyo-3, When you Summon Odin, he is accompined by a giant rainstorm. Then he throws the Grunge Lance it it rips apart the sky in the same fashion as the Lance of Longinious. I guess I should clarify things a bit more, eh?

Doh! I thought you meant 'FF7 rips off the atmosphere of Eva the same way'. Yes, you're right about that.

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”