Gendo in EoE

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
DatDude
Test Subject
Test Subject

Gendo in EoE

•      
  •      

Postby DatDude » Mon Nov 15, 2004 10:30 am

Gendo's death scene in EoE wear he admits why he abandoned Shinji, does it in your mind make up for what he's done to his son, and others?

If you were Shinji would you forgive him ?

My answer to follow I want to know what you people think first.
There was an EVA Nerd here, but now he's gone.

Dark FireStar
Arael
Arael

•      
  •      

Postby Dark FireStar » Mon Nov 15, 2004 3:46 pm

Hell if my dad was that kool hell yeah!
Don't ban me for a limited time! Either ban me for good or let me be. (I only hold grudges for a few years lol)

the_seventh_child
radio gaga
radio gaga

•      
  •      

Postby the_seventh_child » Mon Nov 15, 2004 4:06 pm

That's another reason why i like EoE..it shows an aspect of Gendo's personality which has not revealed in the series..

if i were Shinji and listened to what he said i'd sure forgive him..he seems to be weak-weak Gendo what a surprise!-but that's it that makes it more "touching" as he confess his feelings..and it's Shinji's father too...and it seems that in the end he truly did care afterall...
Anime and manga unite us all. Much better than the Olympics. - Carl Horn |11.30.2004.
"As of this moment, we are changing from soldiers to pirates!" - Captain Jeffrey Wilder (Macross Frontier #22)

aranami
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby aranami » Mon Nov 15, 2004 5:15 pm

After building up so much hate for his father and with all the crap he put Shinji through I think it would be very hard for any one to truly forgive him for it.
"Immortality! Take it! It's yours!"

Cogboy
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Cogboy » Mon Nov 15, 2004 6:37 pm

I would.
"My point? "Sick and Depraved" is a banana." - Soluzar.

"I have those frameless glasses and shit. And emo glasses, but I broke them 'cause I got angry. :( " - Shnooks.

"Old quotes are old" - Cogboy

MAGI
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby MAGI » Tue Nov 16, 2004 1:50 am

I did. Anno could have made the message more sharper, but I'm happy with it, since he can't accommodate for everyone and not dumb it down or slow down the movie.
Gendou's alright, in the end.
ココにいても、いいの?
Is it okay for me to be here?

houtaru
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby houtaru » Tue Nov 16, 2004 1:52 am

I doubt I'd be that kind. After all he's done to the world and Shinji...no he deserved to die alone.

sadsadshinji
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby sadsadshinji » Tue Nov 16, 2004 9:36 am

well...if he can relate to gendo (both were running away from something) perhaps he could forgive him...

DatDude
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby DatDude » Tue Nov 16, 2004 5:54 pm

Well time for me to chime in.

No, I don't feel that a deathbed confession make up for all the things Gendo did during his life. Some times " I'm sorry" just isn't enough. Gendo was a husband and parent it was his responsibility to take care of Shinji. Even if he didn't want Shinji around personally he at the very least owed it to his wife's memory to see there raised in a caring environment. Gendo may have been one of the most powerful men in the world be as a father he was a failure.

If I were Shinji I would not forgive Gendo, but I would hope he could come to understand why his father did what he did and avoid making the same mistakes in his own life.

Cogboy
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Cogboy » Tue Nov 16, 2004 7:34 pm

It may not have maken up for it, but i still would have forgiven him for it.
"My point? "Sick and Depraved" is a banana." - Soluzar.

"I have those frameless glasses and shit. And emo glasses, but I broke them 'cause I got angry. :( " - Shnooks.

"Old quotes are old" - Cogboy

Gilgamesh
Lilith

Re: Gendo in EoE

•      
  •      

Postby Gilgamesh » Tue Nov 16, 2004 10:02 pm

DatDude wrote:Gendo's death scene in EoE wear he admits why he abandoned Shinji, does it in your mind make up for what he's done to his son, and others?

If you were Shinji would you forgive him ?

My answer to follow I want to know what you people think first.

I'd prefer to believe in what Washi told Rakka in the Western Woods in Haibane Renmei-"To recognize one's own sin is to have no sin."

Now, as to whether or not Shinji would forgive him...I don't know. It's impossible to say.

If I were Shinji, I might forgive him...but are we talking the anime Shinji or the manga Shinji? If I were the manga Shinji I don't think I could because I heard that Toji dies in the manga.

*100th post, by the way*
A person...is a shadow which we can never penetrate, of which there can be no such thing as direct knowledge, with respect to which we form countless beliefs, based upon words and sometimes actions, neither of which can give us anything but inadequate and as it proves contradictory information-a shadow behind which we can alternately imagine, with equal justification, that there burns the flame of hatred and of love.
-Marcel Proust, In Search of Lost Time

MAGI
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby MAGI » Wed Nov 17, 2004 1:57 am

Think about it. This is Gendou we're talking about. :shock: To hear him appologise like that, I'd forgive him any day. And we know he's not bluffing, either. He was going to die-ish.
I'm not exactly sure of the meaning of psuedo-Unit-01 eating him, though. :? Self-inflicted penance, no? The real Unit-01 was in the sky, so I guess he must be imagining having his head bitten off.

He's explained his actions, he asked for forgiveness. He lost the best wife in the world (Yui is seriously the best mother I've ever seen aside from ditching her son to his father - if it was intentional). He goes slightly psychotic, which he disguises very well as bastardity. He got a psuedo-bitch-slap from Rei. He lost a hand. He lost two pairs of glasses. He lost his AT-Field.
It's all good. Gendou is the best father in the world if it weren't for everything he did in the past - if it was intentional.

As for Shinji, I'll think about it.
ココにいても、いいの?

houtaru
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby houtaru » Wed Nov 17, 2004 5:24 am

I always thought that Yui didn't want anything to do with Gendo during that scene. The moment he was reunited with her, she doesn't seem to care. Is it possible that she didn't want him anymore? After all, he's a bit of a sadist and a murderer too. Shinji may forgive him, but I don't believe humanity should.

MAGI
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby MAGI » Wed Nov 17, 2004 5:54 am

Yui was... I don't know. Maybe it was all happening in his head, or maybe not. If that was her, then she was enlightened, right? Yui seems to be like that a lot. :P She was smiling. She was smiling because... she is seeing Gendou coming to terms with himself, right? It didn't seem like "Oh, we haven't seen each other for years, eh? How are you?" It was like they already had the greetings and all and it's "Now let's get down to business." She was smiling because... she was happy to see him again? In any case, Yui didn't seem to not like him anymore. I know! Since her soul is still up in Unit-01, the Yui entity was just a decoy. :D You know, forget it.

Gendou was just apologising to Shinji, so there'd be no reason for humanity to forgive him. :P
ココにいても、いいの?

Dark FireStar
Arael
Arael

•      
  •      

Postby Dark FireStar » Wed Nov 17, 2004 3:49 pm

I'll have to agree with MAGI....yeah .
Don't ban me for a limited time! Either ban me for good or let me be. (I only hold grudges for a few years lol)

sadsadshinji
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby sadsadshinji » Thu Nov 18, 2004 9:56 am

why not forgive him? Shinji could easily see (gendo said it) that gendo had his problem, running away from things, because he was scared...
and i think that the yui was a fake...just part of his head going f-ed up...

DatDude
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby DatDude » Thu Nov 18, 2004 12:59 pm

It is intresting to see how many of you would have forgiven gendo.

I never could, he failed Shinji and betrayed Yui's memory by not seeing that he was at least raised in a loving envroment.

MAGI
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby MAGI » Thu Nov 18, 2004 11:52 pm

Yeah, but he appologised.
ココにいても、いいの?

Hunter21
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hunter21 » Fri Nov 19, 2004 1:51 pm

DatDude wrote:I never could, he failed Shinji and betrayed Yui's memory by not seeing that he was at least raised in a loving envroment.

This is why I could never forgive him, and I also would doubt his apology. The guy has made a life out of deceiving people, and even on his death bed you would have the nagging thought of did he really mean it or was he just acting?
EVANGERIONANIME is stupid

Come Join the Sakaki Fan Club!

Remember you're on Evageeks, where preset personal delusions outweigh reality.

Ayanami
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Ayanami » Fri Nov 19, 2004 2:23 pm

I would find it very, very, veryveryvery hard to forgive Gendou (if I were Shinji). For one thing, look at all the shit he's put his son through all throughout his life. He's been cold and detached (not just to Shinji, but to pretty much everyone), and then when the world's about to end, he finally admits that he's been a prick.

Um?! That's probably not the best time to be apologizing for your rotten behavior, just because you were afraid you'd be hurt. I mean, Shinji became practically suicidal, due in part to Gendou.

So, no. I wouldn't forgive him. Although I would give him a nice little pat on the back for, as Gilgamesh cited from Haibane Renmei (awesome anime, BTW ;)), recognizing that he had sinned, but still... I wouldn't forgive him.
Close your eyes and listen hard

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”