Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

Manga Recommendations.

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:43 am

Since there's an Anime Recomendation thread, I thought we needed a Manga Recommendation thread. So how about it? Anybody have any manga they'd like to share?

1st off I'd like to put up Kuro Gane. It's an interesting tale of a young Toseinin named Jintetsu, who is a homeless drifter who is often hired as an Assassin, in Feudal Japan.

You should definitely check it out.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

BEsERk EVA01
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby BEsERk EVA01 » Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:06 am

Yeah, I've read that, it's really addictive.

I recommend Ranma 1/2. You might as well call it comedy martial arts. There's 36 volumes, in English, and 38 volumes in Japanese due to the English writing style to be smaller.

The main character is a 16 year old black belt martial artist called Ranma Saotome. He is put through some tough challenges, most of them are ridiculous and funny. His father and another friend's father decided that his son and their daughter should marry. :P They're still in high school, and despite Ranma and Akane Tendo stated she hates Ranma, they both end up having feelings for each near the end. In the end, it is inevitable they will marry.
>>My User Profile On EvaPedia<<
>>Per Ardua ad Astra, Through Struggle To The Stars<<
>>Nothing<<

the_seventh_child
radio gaga
radio gaga

•      
  •      

Postby the_seventh_child » Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:27 am

A few of my favorites:

CLAMP's X or X/1999 --though it's still on hiatus-- and Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle.

Angel Sanctuary --Kaori Yuki's masterpiece--

For romance/fantasy Yuu Watase is a safe choice! --her latest work Fushigi Yugi:Genbu Kaiden is a lot better than the original--

Monster --mystery, drama, horror, psychological in its best--

Anime and manga unite us all. Much better than the Olympics. - Carl Horn |11.30.2004.
"As of this moment, we are changing from soldiers to pirates!" - Captain Jeffrey Wilder (Macross Frontier #22)

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:54 am

I think this deserves to be a Sticky.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:27 am

My number one recommendation would be Planetes -- though the last volume is a bit sub-par, as a whole it is much better than the anime.

As a blast-from the past, Masamune Shirow's Appleseed is still worth the recommendation, even though he's never going to finish volume 5, having been put off his stride by the Kobe earthquake damaging his studio (and finding a steady market for shiny girls with torpedo tits instead). Do not be put off by the Appleseed movies (which are dire) or be misled by the fact that the GitS anime was (unusually) better than the manga.

I have fond memories of some of the older CLAMP material (Chobits, Magic Knight Rayearth).

Also as a bit of self-plugging

Mohiro Kitoh's NaruTaru (part published in the US in redacted form as ShadowStar) is his dark look at the Pokemon genre. The first half is available from Dark Horse in collection form -- 7 volumes covering the first 6 Japanese tanks; the next 2 1/2 volumes were serialised in Super Manga Blast but not collected, but the last part of volume 9, and 10-12 were never translated -- until now. I managed to be in the right place at the right time to be the polisher of scripts for a scanlation

click for full size

The End of NaruTaru

I'd also recommend Kitoh's Bokurano (his take on the super robot genre) as being far superior to the rather trivialised anime, though the scanlation effort on that seems to have stalled.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Tokpile Quohog
Marquis Tokpile de Boîtes
Marquis Tokpile de Boîtes

•      
  •      

Postby Tokpile Quohog » Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:51 pm

The greatest hero mankind has ever seen.

20th Century Boys.

READ IT NAU!!!
TheEvaMonkey: I HATE BEING A FAT CHICK

fadingreminder
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby fadingreminder » Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:00 pm

The Great Catsby is a manhwa, but that's close enough, right? One of the most beautiful, sad, and romantic things I've ever seen/read.

Read most it free at the official webhosting site while you can!
http://www.netcomics.com/comic/thegreatcatsby.htm

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:58 pm

Almost forgot, courtesy of /a/...

Jojo's Bizarre Adventures -- after seeing this manga endlessly talked about in /a/, I gave it a try over the New Year. So far I've only read the 1880s and 1930s arcs, but they were like the very best (non-Eagle) comics from my youth, only far more violent and ten thousand times as FABULOUS.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

chee
EGF Hate Machine
EGF Hate Machine

•      
  •      

Postby chee » Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:24 pm

Katsuhiro Otomo's Akira- Possibly the best manga I've ever read so far. The author outdoes his own film adaption in terms of grandiosity and scope.

Hayao Miyazaki's Nausicaa of the Valley of the Winds- Another case of the author outdoing his own film adaptation. Gets much darker than the film later on, as well as more thematically complex.

Osamu Tezuka's Ode to Kirihito- A great medical thriller period. Just don't expect anything like Astro Boy.

Katsuhiro Otomo's Domu: A Child's Dream- More Otomo, this time a relatively short (Only 300+ pages) early work. Carries the seeds of his recurring themes and motifs.

Masamune Shirow's Ghost in the Shell- The anime adaptations by Mamoru Oshii (the 2 theatrical films) and Kenji Kamiyama (Stand Alone Complex) outdo their source material by leaps and bounds, but the manga on its own has a special charm, as well as more humor.

Hunter21
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hunter21 » Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:27 pm

The only manga I have ever bothered to collect to completion have been Genshiken and Love Hina The Love Hina manga is much better than the anime and even if you slightly liked the anime you should really read it. Much more satisfying ending to boot. The Genshiken Manga is surprisingly similar to the anime on most points. There are some minor differences but nothing all that important. The real point to getting the manga is that you get to see how the series ends. There is still one whole story arc after the end of the last anime season.

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

•      
  •      

Postby Defectron » Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:42 pm

20th Century Boys.

Ah my second favorite manga, gotta finish tracking down 21st century boys as well when I have time.

My favorite manga series is Alien 9, it's pretty awsome. My favorite one shot manga is Orion which is by Masamune shirow.

Parasyte and Battle angel are also really good.
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon

The Imperialist
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby The Imperialist » Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:43 pm

Well, if you like Mr. Akamatsu, you should read Negima. I also recommend CHinmoku no kantai (interesting political drama) Zipang and Golgo 13 if you are one of those serious manga readers.
For lighter ones, kochikame would do nicely, and Mr. Clice by the same author.
More should come, as this is what i can think on top of my head.
I feel old

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:29 pm

Haha Sweet. I made a Sticky! 8)
- Sachi

birdyofthemoongoddess
Arael
Arael

•      
  •      

Postby birdyofthemoongoddess » Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:12 am

GodChild by Kaori Yuki

God Child is the story of the beautiful Lord Cain and his father's evil group Delilah. Pain and misfortune are what is read in Cain's destiny. He is set to prove his father wrong. (Slight BL, mature, gore?)

ES by Fuyumi Soryo

Extremely unique art style mixed with the story of man who is immortal and can manipulate human minds. His name is Shuro. All is fine for him until he meets Mine Kujyou...
(Minor gore, minor nudity)

Hot Gimmick by Miki Aihara

The difficulties of love and growing up. Revolves around Hatsumi, a high school girl. Her plain life goes haywire when she gets caught buying a pregnancy test by the only son of the landlord who own's the company apartments she lives in. Agreeing to be the boy's girlfriend/sex slave (in a way) so that he won't tell his mother what happened, her life plunges into one problem after another from having her elder "brother" *cough**cough* fall in love with her (
SPOILER wrote:He's adopted... but she doesn't know that until later in the series.
) and her first crush (Azusa) come back only to accuse Hatsumi's father of having cheated on his wife with Azusa's mom.
(Minor nudity)[/quote]
Last edited by birdyofthemoongoddess on Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:35 am, edited 3 times in total.
Birdy is a girl.
hannah's handprints.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:59 am

@birdy
Presumably these are all BL of some degree -- but beyond that a few words of recommendation would not go amiss; why these particular titles, as opposed to others.

jenova7
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby jenova7 » Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:19 am

the deathnote manga has always been a favourite of mine. it's dark plot and execution give it a different feel to whats out there.

Battle angel Alita is a great hardcore action series with awesome character development to boot

those are just off the top of my head- more 2 come[/url:3g6lrz4p]

chee
EGF Hate Machine
EGF Hate Machine

•      
  •      

Postby chee » Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:46 pm

I second Death Note. Definitely a favorite.

The Imperialist
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby The Imperialist » Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:59 pm

Alright. What is good about Death Note? I have read it, but, it just isn't a cup of tea for me. Anything to point out, that might actually seem interesting?
I feel old

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:12 pm

The Imperialist wrote:Alright. What is good about Death Note? I have read it, but, it just isn't a cup of tea for me. Anything to point out, that might actually seem interesting?

You write somebody's name and they DIE! What's cooler than that! 8)

I 3rd Death Note
- Sachi

BobBQ
Dyskolos
Dyskolos

•      
  •      

Postby BobBQ » Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:47 pm

Sachiel_13 wrote:You write somebody's name and they DIE! What's cooler than that!

That's about as cool as killing people by piloting a Predator drone. Cool killing is all about dusters and shades.

Anyway, I recommend Gunsmith Cats, Strawberry Shake Sweet and Iono-sama Fanatics. The first is action and the other two are silly yuri.

Return to “Anime and Manga”