Aliens vs. Predator: Requiem

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

Aliens vs. Predator: Requiem

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Tue Dec 25, 2007 1:42 am

I'm seeing this movie tomo---... Oh, wait. It's already 12:40 AM.

I'm seeing this movie later today, and I expect it to be good. I've read some advance reviews. About half the reviewers said it was good, half said 'twas bad, but all of them said it was better than the first one. I thought the first one was actually an okay film, so my expectations are that it will at least be enjoyable.

I'll post my actual opinion after I see it. Discuss stuff here (or don't).
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

fadingreminder
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby fadingreminder » Tue Dec 25, 2007 7:41 am

I love the AvP comics and games (ESPECIALLY the PC games, so amazing...), but I hated the first movie. Hopefully this one will be better, but I have my doubts... let me know how it is.

Anti-Goth
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Anti-Goth » Tue Dec 25, 2007 11:43 am

I wikied it, since I'm prolly not gonna see it.

Lemme just say this...HUEG ENEMY PLOTHOLES! WTF were Facehuggers doing on a Yautjan ship...seriously...that's just ASKING for disaster.

Wow. The fact that I have an AvP fanfic makes this even more pathetic. ;___; *an hero*
"you ever had tempura ice cream
SHIT IS KAWAII UGUU AS FUCK, SON
AS FUCK" -damage

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Tue Dec 25, 2007 7:00 pm

I didn't see it today, as the designated time I had allocated to see it was sold out. :( I saw I Am Legend instead, and will probably see AVPR this upcoming Thursday.

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

•      
  •      

Postby Defectron » Tue Dec 25, 2007 9:38 pm

Well it was better then the first AVP but there were still a lot of little things that bothered me. Like why the predator ship stayed around earth long enough for the pred alien to reach maturity and why the predator sent to clean up the mess bothered skinning that one guy. I mean there are multiple reasons why this predator should not have done that.

1. He wasn't here on a hunt, he was sent to clean up the mess fromt he ship
2. This guy wasn't a thread, hardly suitable trophy material.
3. He was trying to eliminate evidence so why create more?

And what was the deal with the pred alien impregnating people like that? Did it get that from the predators? We don't know how predators reproduce so its conceivable. But even if that was the case that'd be a bit inconsistant since human born aliens don't reproduce like humans do.

Other then little things like that, the one big thing I didn't like was that dude who worked at the pizza place and his girlfreind. They were such typical teenager movie characters I just wanted them both to die. I did get half my wish on that and oh we were so close when pizza guy got impaled! If only the pred alien had aimed a bit more towards his chest!

On the other hand this movie did do some good things too, when the movie did best I think was the last 25% of it. I particularly liked all the fights in the hospital area and that nuke was pretty fun too. It was also cool that we got to see Yutani, though you gotta wonder why they never managed to reverse engineerd the plasma casters by the time aliens came around.[/quote]
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon

BobBQ
Dyskolos
Dyskolos

•      
  •      

Postby BobBQ » Wed Dec 26, 2007 12:27 pm

I'm not watching it unless it has pulse rifles.

TriLink
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby TriLink » Wed Dec 26, 2007 12:30 pm

Predator is sooo freaking cool.

Alien; not so much.
" Just one question America...WHO IS FUCKING OUR PING PONG BALLS!?" -Dr.Stephen T Colbert DFA

Anti-Goth
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Anti-Goth » Wed Dec 26, 2007 1:09 pm

Defectron wrote:And what was the deal with the pred alien impregnating people like that? Did it get that from the predators? We don't know how predators reproduce so its conceivable. But even if that was the case that'd be a bit inconsistant since human born aliens don't reproduce like humans do.

Defectron wrote:you gotta wonder why they never managed to reverse engineerd the plasma casters by the time aliens came around.

Plotholes are HUUUUUUUEEEEEEEEG liek X-box.
AS FUCK" -damage

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Wed Dec 26, 2007 9:27 pm

Lemme just say this...HUEG ENEMY PLOTHOLES! WTF were Facehuggers doing on a Yautjan ship...seriously...that's just ASKING for disaster.

(they're just "Predators", "Yautja" is no more official than a Star Trek spin off book.

The idea is that the Predators think the Aliens are the "ultimate prey" (they are quite impressive) so they breed them to hunt them; like how humans hunt lions. That's not to say the Predators CREATED the Xenomorphs; they just found them on a planet somewhere (like Ripley did in Aliens 1 and 2). But of course, being the Predators, their reaction was "wow, what a challenging thing to hunt; we should breed this as the ultimate challenge for our hunters to prove themselves by killing". So they grabbed some Aliens Queens and have them make FaceHugger eggs so they can hunt them; they carry a few facehuggers on their ships IN STASIS, then turn 'em loose on a planet so they can make mature aliens to hunt. Made sense to me. Been implied since Predator 2.

Defectron wrote:
And what was the deal with the pred alien impregnating people like that? Did it get that from the predators? We don't know how predators reproduce so its conceivable. But even if that was the case that'd be a bit inconsistant since human born aliens don't reproduce like humans do.

They said they made up a new stage of the mythos, but it DOES make sense:

They explain that the PredAlien also just happens to be a Queen (it's got nothing to do with being part Predator)

Basically, they said that logically, a young i.e. Newborn Queen does not instantly have a fully developed egg sac, right? (the giant thing we saw in Aliens)

so what the fledgling Queen can do to rapidly develop a set of Worker Aliens so it can quickly set up a new Nest is directly implant mature Alien embryos into hosts, without the need for FaceHuggers. Over time as it matures into a full adult Queen it will develop the normal egg sac with Facehugger eggs ability.

While this is undoubtely a new element in the mythos, it kind of DOES make sense.

I use the ant hive model; a young Queen often doesn't act like an adult, i.e. practicing infanticide so it can eat without having to leave the nest, when it has too few workers to bring in new food.
Who is "Codename V"?....
I'm pleased to meet you and I hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game...so catch me if you can!! (0:50)
"Superior ability breeds superior ambition" -- Spock, Star Trek TOS episode 1.24 "Space Seed"
You say you say you want a REvolution?...
-->It was only after I lost everything, that I realized: I was free to do anything...

Anti-Goth
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Anti-Goth » Wed Dec 26, 2007 9:37 pm

V wrote:(they're just "Predators", "Yautja" is no more official than a Star Trek spin off book.

LIES! LIIIIIIES!

V wrote:being the Predators, their reaction was "wow, what a challenging thing to hunt; we should breed this as the ultimate challenge for our hunters to prove themselves by killing". So they grabbed some Aliens Queens and have them make FaceHugger eggs so they can hunt them; they carry a few facehuggers on their ships IN STASIS, then turn 'em loose on a planet so they can make mature aliens to hunt. Made sense to me. Been implied since Predator 2.

These technologically advanced alien species seem to mess with parasitic aliens quite a lot in modern sci-fi. Allegory for human arrogance much?
AS FUCK" -damage

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Wed Dec 26, 2007 11:58 pm

I saw this movie today. Even though the acting was terrible, the action scenes (as well as the entire movie) poorly directed, and the plot non-existent, it was still a better film than the first movie/shitfest directed by Paul W.S. (member of the four horsemen of the film-making apocalypse) Anderson.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:41 am

V wrote:"Yautja" is no more official than a Star Trek spin off book.
IT'S SECOND-TIER CANON AND THERE'S NOTHING THAT CONTRADICTS IT!

AVP:R's score on IMDB is, coincidentally, the same as I Am Legend's was when I saw it yesterday instead of AVP:R. I still haven't seen the intended movie yet, and it's been quite amusing seeing so many incredibly disparate opinions, ranging from fantastic to terrible, with the same reasons given for the opposite opinions.

Anti-Goth
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Anti-Goth » Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:24 pm

NAveryW wrote:IT'S SECOND-TIER CANON AND THERE'S NOTHING THAT CONTRADICTS IT!

TESTIFY!

*goes off to incubate her fanfic...fufufufu*
AS FUCK" -damage

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:37 am

I saw it earlier tonight with my father. He actually said he thought it was better than I Am Legend. I disagree, but I still liked it. The humans weren't interesting, but that's really the only flaw I can think of, minus the aforementioned plotholes. Of course, that's a rather big flaw. Still, it was exciting and definitely better than the first AvP.

I am reminded at this point that Ridley Scott mentioned a while back that he was offended that FOX didn't ask him to direct AvP, as he felt he could have made it something really special. It wouldn't have made the script any better, but the attention to detail and the acting would have been improved.

The real tragedy is that Ridley Scott and James Cameron had wanted to do Alien 5 together, and Cameron was writing a script for it when FOX told him they had a really great script for AvP they wanted to do instead. (Sadly, no. I am not kidding.) Sigourney Weaver has also said she would want to be in Alien 5. So, basically, FOX gave up what would have been fantastic for what they knew would make money (and, apparently, a script that they loved).

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:16 am

NAveryW wrote:<snip>

The real tragedy is that Ridley Scott and James Cameron had wanted to do Alien 5 together, and Cameron was writing a script for it when FOX told him they had a really great script for AvP they wanted to do instead. (Sadly, no. I am not kidding.) Sigourney Weaver has also said she would want to be in Alien 5. So, basically, FOX gave up what would have been fantastic for what they knew would make money (and, apparently, a script that they loved).
man, that might have actually worked out well :cry:

I just hope that it would have been better than Alien 3 or Resurrection
- TEH Fabulous Hal E. Burton 9000

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

BobBQ
Dyskolos
Dyskolos

•      
  •      

Postby BobBQ » Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:35 am

NAveryW wrote:The real tragedy is that Ridley Scott and James Cameron had wanted to do Alien 5 together, and Cameron was writing a script for it when FOX told him they had a really great script for AvP they wanted to do instead.

I saw what was purported to be the first few pages of Cameron's script, or at least a script with his name on it. It had Ripley waking up from cryosleep to discover that the events of A3 and AR were all a dream and that Newt, Hicks and Bishop were still very much alive.

I liked the sound of that, even though I don't see how they could have made it work given the ages of some of the actors.

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:40 am

^smart-butt^

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

BobBQ
Dyskolos
Dyskolos

•      
  •      

Postby BobBQ » Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:42 am

THE Hal E. Burton 9000 wrote:^smart-butt^

Did IQs just drop sharply while I was away?

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:46 am

Now who's the forum arse-hole?

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:41 pm

NAveryW wrote:The real tragedy is that Ridley Scott and James Cameron had wanted to do Alien 5 together, and Cameron was writing a script for it when FOX told him they had a really great script for AvP they wanted to do instead. (Sadly, no. I am not kidding.) Sigourney Weaver has also said she would want to be in Alien 5. So, basically, FOX gave up what would have been fantastic for what they knew would make money (and, apparently, a script that they loved).

I can imagine how that meetings went...

Cameron and Scott: We have this great idea for a fifth Alien movie. We are working on it together, along with Sigourney Weaver.

Movie Executive: Well, that sounds really great, guys. But we already have an Alien project we want to do. We got the same guy who directed "Resident Evil" to do it. It's sure to be awesome.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Return to “Film and Video”