i am legend

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Matt_Colly
Embryo

i am legend

•      
  •      

Postby Matt_Colly » Sat Dec 15, 2007 7:16 am

the movie = epic fail on all accounts. terrible.

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:53 am

I was thinking about seeing it over the next week or so, along with the National Treasure sequel
- TEH Fabulous Hal E. Burton 9000

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

The Bastard King
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby The Bastard King » Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:39 pm

I believe, as the people in IRC can account for, that the movie was epic, and Will Smith was successful in one of his most emotional roles.
16:26 <BastardKing> KICK REASON TO THE CURB
16:26 <Fuyutsuki> BastardKing fires the kick cannon and it EXPLODES IN HIS FACE

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

•      
  •      

Postby Defectron » Sat Dec 15, 2007 3:22 pm

I'm going to see this just because I'm a big fan of the book and also kind of liked last man on earth & omega man even though those were flawed. So even if it stinks I gotta see this one.
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon

Matt_Colly
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Matt_Colly » Sat Dec 15, 2007 4:48 pm

The Bastard King wrote:I believe, as the people in IRC can account for, that the movie was epic, and Will Smith was successful in one of his most emotional roles.

are you serious?...did we watch the same film?

The Bastard King
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby The Bastard King » Sat Dec 15, 2007 4:57 pm

I dunno. If you can point out the flaws you saw, I might be able to tell you.

Matt_Colly
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Matt_Colly » Sat Dec 15, 2007 6:38 pm

the continuity problem associated with the darkseeker's strength (i.e they can single handedly sideswipe a truck, bash through steel blast doors, etc. but when one bites will smiths neck, picks him up, and slams him on a table will smith is perfectly fine.) The fact that the drug somehow unhinges the darkseekers jaws (or how else would they be able to yell with a mouth wide enough to fit a damn melon in). I can not stand movies that cop out using special effects. Where are the actors in darkseeker suits with fake slime and ooze on them? I understand these weren't zombies...but honestly, they were laughable as merely computerized grayscale humanoid figures. The darkseeker dogs were retarded. the bit about Bob Marley infusing the world with anti-racism and love and shit was unneeded, speculative, and preachy. All in all, the movie hype was to great, the movie started with promise, and just finished limper than a wet noodle.

the best part of the movie were the trailers for 'John Rambo', 'dark knight', and 'Ironman'

Kyle
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Kyle » Sat Dec 15, 2007 9:15 pm

Crap,I had high hope's for I am legend.
The trailer looked awesome though...
"It's good to have team mates...it gives them other people to shoot at."-Unknown.

"Who dare's,wins"-SAS motto

The Bastard King
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby The Bastard King » Sat Dec 15, 2007 9:57 pm

The drug gave the darkseekers enough strength to slam a van over, bust through laminated glass/metal doors, and sustain oneself on a ceiling while ripping it apart with no apparent effort. You shouldn't really be shocked by the ability to rag doll a Will Smith purely with the muscles of the neck and upper body. And with the virus changing the muscle material of the body that much, whose to say that it couldn't change the skeletal structure and muscle length slightly in regards to the jaw? And the part about Bob Marley was meant to support Will Smith's character's ideals, in regards to his belief that the world could still be saved.

What you're doing is speculating, not pointing out faults with the movie. Now if you really want to over analyze, take a look at the Shrek scenes. Notice something strange? Shrek and Donkey don't appear to breath. What the fuck's up with that?

Matt_Colly
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Matt_Colly » Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:47 pm

The Bastard King wrote:The drug gave the darkseekers enough strength to slam a van over, bust through laminated glass/metal doors, and sustain oneself on a ceiling while ripping it apart with no apparent effort. You shouldn't really be shocked by the ability to rag doll a Will Smith purely with the muscles of the neck and upper body. And with the virus changing the muscle material of the body that much, whose to say that it couldn't change the skeletal structure and muscle length slightly in regards to the jaw? And the part about Bob Marley was meant to support Will Smith's character's ideals, in regards to his belief that the world could still be saved.

What you're doing is speculating, not pointing out faults with the movie. Now if you really want to over analyze, take a look at the Shrek scenes. Notice something strange? Shrek and Donkey don't appear to breath. What the fuck's up with that?

with the notion that there was a colony up north in the mountains i am sure that anyone who heard of this would attempt to go. Considering that the girl and little boy lived in maryland and heard the DR.s am freq and went to visit, there is NO WAY that the two of them made it to new york before it got dark. If you looked at NYC, the streets were flooded with abandoned cars the will must have somehow moved to make hunting paths for himself. using the logic that the best route from maryland north is I-95 and people were panicing to get up there, i am more than positive when the airborn virus hit these people were stuck in traffic, thus making a complex assortment of cars, trucks, military vehicles, rigs, etc that would make her direct passage there IMPOSSIBLE.

you're right, maybe i am looking to far into it. but the story was set up as such that the action wasnt as intriguing as i hope it would be from the awesome (and over hyped) trailer, so i was left with a wandering mind.
(not to mention when he made his little recording and said the darkseekers had lost all of their human cultural qualities and when he went into the building after sam they were huddled together, used group tactics and strategy when attacking him on the doc and outside of his "stronghold"...) i just think for a thriller that is supposed to make you think it had a lot of "leaps of faith" and lapses in fact, that's all.

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

•      
  •      

Postby Defectron » Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:33 am

Ok I just got back from seeing this. While it wasn't completely awful there's a lot of things here that bothered me.

The first is the portrayal of the infected people as nothing more then crazed animals out for blood. In the book as well as the two previous adaptations the y retained something of their human personality even if it was in a deranged and insane way. The fact that they oversimplified the infected people reducing them to nothing more then bloodthirsty animals here I think heavily detracted from the story. It's a real shame it would have been cool to see an up to date adaptation of Ben Cortman, Nevilles infected nemisis.

Another thing that bugged me was how the new society was portrayed here. The new society originally was a group of people who had been changed by the virus so that they couldn't come out at night but still retained their human characteristics. They were also Nevilles enemies because he accidently killed many of their members in his hunts for the infected. But here their role was completely reduced to a village of normal people who lived somewhere in Maryland.

My biggest problem though was that the overall theme of the story was completely changed here. Originally the theme of the story was that Neville was a man from a different age who just couldn't adapt to the world once it changed. He became known as a sort of boogieman to the people of the new society. That's why he's legend, but that meaning got completely changed around here. Even the other two movies for all their flaws managed to keep the overall theme intact. Between this and I robot I'm beginning to think that any book adaptation starring will Smith will inevitably get mangeled into something completely different then what it was originally intended to be.
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hexon.Arq » Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:21 pm

ITT virgins.

It was okay.

_you can't do anything, so don't even try
_get some help
_don't do what sonic does

DatDude
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby DatDude » Sun Dec 16, 2007 7:50 pm

I have to say I liked the movie It was powerful and epic. Will Smith did do great job of showing us a man on the edge, and that made the movie.
There was an EVA Nerd here, but now he's gone.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:06 am

i liked it, it kinda left out him realizing that the darklings were getting smarter, so it made it seem like he was completely ignorant of it the whole time. i didnt like the whole "Signs" thing come-around where everything happens for a reason and that all the clues in the story come together at the end.
i liked it though
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Matt_Colly
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Matt_Colly » Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:52 am

anyone excited for 'the dark knight', 'ironman', 'john rambo', or the jj. abrams monster movie coded 'cloverfield'?

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:56 am

Matt_Colly wrote:anyone excited for 'the dark knight', 'ironman', 'john rambo', or the jj. abrams monster movie coded 'cloverfield'?

Dark Knight
kinda pointless that they changed the name, and Jokers' Make-up is too messy. i know he suppossed to be insane, but his make-up is just horrible now. i'll probably go see it in theaters though
Iron Man
im really looking forward to the Iron Man Adaptation, hopefully RD jr. can pull off another great move. i will definintely go see this in theaters
John Rambo
no fucking point to this movie. Rambo is how old??? a remake would probably look more interesting. i wont go see this
Cloverfield
looks interesting, i'll probably go see this just to see it. i dont really have any expectations for it.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

chee
EGF Hate Machine
EGF Hate Machine

•      
  •      

Postby chee » Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:03 am

Matt_Colly wrote:anyone excited for 'the dark knight', 'ironman', 'john rambo', or the jj. abrams monster movie coded 'cloverfield'?

Excited for The Dark Knight and Clovefield.

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:06 pm

Alright, so when does the trailer for Indiana Jones 4 come out?

/off-topic now, I sorry...
- TEH Fabulous Hal E. Burton 9000

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

Matt_Colly
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Matt_Colly » Mon Dec 17, 2007 3:07 pm

THE Hal E. Burton 9000 wrote:Alright, so when does the trailer for Indiana Jones 4 come out?

/off-topic now, I sorry...

does this board really have a topic? haha, i really liked the I.J 4 leaked poster and the website is AWESOME.

Sachiel i couldnt disagree with you more about the Rambo film. the trailer looks great, his face is always covered in blood and mud so his wrinkles and old age dont show. he didnt look terrible in balboa, and this rambo seems to be really dark(er than the first). Im psyched, and if anything it will be better in theaters due to the sounds of the explosions, surround sound bullets, and machete take-downs.

The Bastard King
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby The Bastard King » Mon Dec 17, 2007 3:30 pm

Who do you think would win in a fight between the new Rambo and the new Snake? =P

Return to “Film and Video”