Mushishi
Mind Game
Tatami Galaxy
Monster
Welcome to N.H.K
Princess Tutu

probably more...

and of course: Inferno Cop
Teenage girl trapped in a man's body, or vice versa. Nuff said.

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:28 pm

In no particular order...

1) Serial Experiments Lain
2)Mononoke (not Princess Mononoke, the anime series Mononoke)
3)Puella Magi Madoka Magica
4)Fate/Zero
5)Texhnolyze
6)Gurren Lagann
7)Kill la Kill
8)Haibane Renmei
9)RahXephon
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

StarShaper7
Arael
Arael

•      
  •      

Postby StarShaper7 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:45 pm

Other anime that I feel like I could say are my all-time favorites at the moment are:
Cowboy Bebop
Revolutionary Girl Utena
The Book of Bantorra
Mind Game
Tamala 2010: A Punk Cat in Space
The Tatami Galaxy
Baccano
Darker Than Black
Shin Mazinger Shougeki! Z-hen
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure (2012)
Redline

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Gob Hobblin » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:19 pm

Lists, huh...man, I can't make a list. I like what I like and don't watch what I don't.

I can say that right now, I'm working through Usagi Drop and loving it. My wife and I are also working through the Count of Monte Cristo (the Japanese name eludes me...Ganukutsuou? I think?). We love it. The design is amazing and unique, the cast is a who's who of the best of Japanese voice acting, and it's just...so...damn...good...LOOKING.

If I had to try, though:

1) Cowboy Bebop
2) Gosick
3) FMA: Brotherhood
4) Reign: The Conqueror
5) Aeon Flux (that's anime...right?)
6) GITS...all of it
7) Toradora
8) Anything from that weird point in the nineties that was trying to be edgy and violent a la Ninja Scrolls
9) Anything...I missed. Because I did, I know I did.
Though, Gob still might look good in a cocktail dress.
-Sorrow

Rei wanted to know what waffles tasted like.
-Literary Eagle

We have to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, and work. Or waffles, friends, and work. But work has to come in third.
-Leslie Knope

Come read EVA Sessions! This place has it, too! There'll be pizza! Not really! There are other things, too! Not EVA Sessions! Did I mention the pizza!?

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:29 pm

View Original PostGob Hobblin wrote:
I can say that right now, I'm working through Usagi Drop and loving it. My wife and I are also working through the Count of Monte Cristo (the Japanese name eludes me...Ganukutsuou? I think?). We love it. The design is amazing and unique, the cast is a who's who of the best of Japanese voice acting, and it's just...so...damn...good...LOOKING.

Name's Gankutsuou, yeah. It's great and Maeda's eye for visuals is stunning as ever but really, as much as I like it I'd never describes Gonzo's awkward CG as damn good looking. :lol:

View Original PostGob Hobblin wrote:5) Aeon Flux (that's anime...right?)

Nahh, it's american.

View Original PostGob Hobblin wrote:8) Anything from that weird point in the nineties that was trying to be edgy and violent a la Ninja Scrolls

Oh boy, I can tell you haven't made yourself familiar with the bottom barrel material from late-80s-90s OVA boom. If you want idea just how terrible the "Ninja Scrollesque" stuff from the era could be look out Sword for Truth, Apocalypse Zero, Dark Cat or Suikoden Demon Century... :lol:

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Gob Hobblin » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:43 pm

^

Are you kidding me, man? That's part of the fun! I'll throw on that stuff and just snicker all the way through it (or savor the nostalgia of watching this stuff before I knew good anime...).

I give Aeon Flux a pass because, while it was American...it just does not follow American animation convention. It's a French-science fiction cartoon directed by Peter Chung with Japanese story-telling convention and European sensibility. I'd give it an anime pass, just because it deserves the group setting.

And...you're right, the CG is awkward in Gankutsuou, but the character designs are gorgeous, I like the effect they have of the multiple stable backdrops used for character clothing, and the world design is fascinating (when you look past the CG, the design for Paris with it's foreboding airships is gorgeous, and the area beyond Paris looks like something out of a Pink Floyd album). Plus, the story-telling is nicely paced and well-handled, and there's plenty of fun Easter eggs for readers of the original book.
-Sorrow

-Literary Eagle

We have to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, and work. Or waffles, friends, and work. But work has to come in third.
-Leslie Knope

Come read EVA Sessions! This place has it, too! There'll be pizza! Not really! There are other things, too! Not EVA Sessions! Did I mention the pizza!?

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:53 pm

View Original PostGob Hobblin wrote:^

Are you kidding me, man? That's part of the fun! I'll throw on that stuff and just snicker all the way through it (or savor the nostalgia of watching this stuff before I knew good anime...).

I'm great afficiando of the whole so bad it's good and B-film watching philosophy but something as bad as Apocalypse Zero is just too much for even me in its trashyness. If you can fully enjoy even likes of those series I mentioned you're more able man than I. :lol:

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Gob Hobblin » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:04 pm

No, just a more depraved one.

:devil:
-Sorrow

-Literary Eagle

-Leslie Knope

StarShaper7
Arael
Arael

•      
  •      

Postby StarShaper7 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:13 am

Apocalypse Zero ended abruptly, but I really liked the first two episodes. Couldn't be bothered to read the manga though.

View Original PostGob Hobblin wrote:I give Aeon Flux a pass because, while it was American...it just does not follow American animation convention. It's a French-science fiction cartoon directed by Peter Chung with Japanese story-telling convention and European sensibility. I'd give it an anime pass, just because it deserves the group setting.

I LOVE Aeon Flux.

I actually did think it was a French production the first time I saw it. I'm pretty sure Chung drew influenced from French animation (and cinema) when making it. But I count it as Western because it was an MTV show. It seems too different from most other anime to be grouped together with anime. It's a pretty unique work, yeah, but what I've seen of French animation (which, admittedly, isn't much) seems more similar to AF than anime does. I don't really understand what you mean by Japanese story-telling convention though. Direct but gnomic? :huh:

H-MangaEnthusiast
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby H-MangaEnthusiast » Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:37 am

View Original PostStarShaper7 wrote:Apocalypse Zero ended abruptly, but I really liked the first two episodes. Couldn't be bothered to read the manga though.

Oh I remember that one. Is that one where that hobo demon used saliva blade? And his special attack was his penis transforming into a three-headed dragon?

Gold.
Teenage girl trapped in a man's body, or vice versa. Nuff said.

Squigsquasher
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Squigsquasher » Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:35 am

View Original PostH-MangaEnthusiast wrote:Oh I remember that one. Is that one where that hobo demon used saliva blade? And his special attack was his penis transforming into a three-headed dragon?

Gold.

Why have I not watched this yet?
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:24 pm

View Original PostStarShaper7 wrote:I LOVE Aeon Flux.

I actually did think it was a French production the first time I saw it. I'm pretty sure Chung drew influenced from French animation (and cinema) when making it. But I count it as Western because it was an MTV show. It seems too different from most other anime to be grouped together with anime. It's a pretty unique work, yeah, but what I've seen of French animation (which, admittedly, isn't much) seems more similar to AF than anime does. I don't really understand what you mean by Japanese story-telling convention though. Direct but gnomic? :huh:

Likewise! I don't really see the Japanese story-telling connection either; it's certainly not like any anime I've watched and the plot of each episode is mostly independent from the one before so it's not like there's an overarching plot; each episode deals with a different topic or theme. For example, Chronophasia deals heavily with time (amongst other things) while The Demiurge had a strong religious subtext. The early short episodes are entirely independent of each other, and often detail a short sequence of events rather than having an actual plotline.

The art style definitely isn't reminiscent of anime. Character designs and anatomy are very, very different, for one thing, and the movements of the characters (particularly some of Aeon's acrobatic maneuvers) are very different from typical anime fare. It's much more like Western animation than Eastern.

I don't really understand what Gob means by European sensibility either. As far as I know the distortions of the story, characters, environment and plot that can and often do occur are far beyond most European work I've seen. It reminds me more of some early American sci-fi novels such as PKD's work.

The show also does a good deal to deconstruct typical action cartoons, through its unusual main character and the grey morality of most of the characters presented. I certainly enjoyed several of the stories, as well as the cyberpunk décor.

And I'm nothing like you

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:08 pm

Yeah, the CG in Gankutsuou is beyond terrible. But I love the rest of the art style. It just seems to fit the story so perfectly.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Reiggae
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Reiggae » Tue May 13, 2014 6:07 pm

Serial Experiments Lain
Akira
Kaiba

I like really abstract crap.
We are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively. There is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.

ZapX
Guided by the New Era
Guided by the New Era

•      
  •      

Postby ZapX » Tue May 13, 2014 8:19 pm

View Original PostReiggae wrote:Serial Experiments Lain

Never would have guessed this. I'm shocked.
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ"Stop watching anime. it makes you think all girls are incredibly hot and shy, and there are 10 that all want your boner which just isn't true." -Brik-aniki

"I CAN'T HELP IT THAT I WANT TO EAT MY OWN VULVA AND SHARE IT WITH A LOVED ONE!"-Reichu

"I have a fetish for naked women with stigmata playing ping pong in the mud. Is there a name for that?" -Kaiser O-Ornette-dono-sama

“Don’t do that; that was probably hooker money.” -SSD on me holding money with my mouth

ChaddyManPrime
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Tue May 13, 2014 8:32 pm

Pokemon ( I honestly wish they would have ended it after the first movie, cause at least Misty and Ash would have lived happily ever after :sniffle:)

Rock Lee and His Ninja Pals

RahXephon

Reiggae
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Reiggae » Tue May 13, 2014 8:45 pm

View Original PostZapX wrote:Never would have guessed this. I'm shocked.

I also like this show called Evangelion, you probably never heard of it.
We are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively. There is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Tue May 13, 2014 8:50 pm

View Original PostReiggae wrote:Serial Experiments Lain
Akira
Kaiba

I like really abstract crap.

Have you seen Texhnolyze and Haibane Renmei? They're by the same team as SEL, but Texhnolyze is much darker while Haibane Renmei is much lighter.

And I'm nothing like you

Reiggae
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Reiggae » Tue May 13, 2014 8:55 pm

^
Nope, I'll look into them once I'm done with the show I'm watching now.

DocAzure
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby DocAzure » Fri May 16, 2014 6:56 pm

I feel like gushing about the masterpiece that is Cowboy Bebop. That show is perfect, perfect for anyone. Works as a gateway into anime, or just as a one-off look in. I actually watched the whole of Bebop with my Dad the last time I was at my parents, just as an attempt to get him a bit more...interested in some things. It worked, and he loved it. He's currently looking into a few other things, as per my suggestion, such as Akira and Ghost in the Shell. So yeah, I think Bebop cured my Dad of general anime ignorance.

Bebop is astoundingly good though, and at the very least, if you can enjoy it, you have to appreciate it. Art. That's what it is. Everything to do with it, the music, the animation, the writing. Art. Bebop sparked my entry into anime, and I love it for that.

Anyway, that should do for me right now, just had to fill my daily "gush about bebop" quota.
Vanguard, a fiction set in the Evangelion world.
post/738119/Vanguard-CH2-UP/

Return to “Anime and Manga”