Non-Eva Anime and Manga discussion

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

bap_120790
Adam

What are your other favorite anime?

•      
  •      

Postby bap_120790 » Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:35 pm

Not sure if a discussion about this was already made. Anyway, I was wondering about other animes that stirred you aside from Evangelion?

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:40 pm

Well, nothing has stirred me as much as NGE, but those that have come closest are:

Akira
Ghost in the Shell
Princess Mononoke
Grave of the Fireflies
Texhnolyze
Haibane Renmei

For pure fun and entertainment I find Bebop, FlCl and Escaflowne hard to beat too.
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

chee
EGF Hate Machine
EGF Hate Machine

•      
  •      

Postby chee » Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:44 pm

Eva Yojimbo wrote:Akira
Ghost in the Shell
Princess Mononoke
Grave of the Fireflies
Bebop
FlCl

Win, win, win, win, win, and win.

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:50 pm

chee wrote:
Win, win, win, win, win, and win.
Didn't you like the other ones or haven't you seen them?

Oh, and Paranoia Agent is another good mention. Just finished it today and I already want to watch it again...
Last edited by Eva Yojimbo on Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

TriLink
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby TriLink » Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:52 pm

The ones that made the biggest impression me are probably...

*Berserk
    *Chrono Crusade
    *Dragonball Z
    *Bleach
    *Blood +
    *Full Metal Alchemist
I'm not saying these are the best shows I've seen, but their the ones that stick in my head the most.

I know it's a really generic list with mostly mainstream shows on it. Lately, I just haven't had the time or the energy to dive into the darker regions of Japanimation. Having the worlds worst internet router doesn't help either.
" Just one question America...WHO IS FUCKING OUR PING PONG BALLS!?" -Dr.Stephen T Colbert DFA

Themaninblack
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Themaninblack » Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:58 pm

Akira

Beserk

Blood +

Cowboy Bebop

FLCL

Excel Saga

All the Ghost in the Shell series

Golden Boy

Gundam 0800 War in the Pocket

Trigun

Fist of the North Star
I won.

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:29 pm

I'm positive there are other threads exactly like this one on this forum.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Jay911
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Jay911 » Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:40 pm

Favorites of the past while and ones that caught my attention...

Akira
Area 88
Azumanga Daioh
Black Lagoon
Cat's Eye
Denno Coil
Full Metal*Panic!/Fumoffu/Second Raid
Ghost in the Shell SAC/2nd GiG
Gunsmith Cats
Gunbuster
Irresponsible Captain Tylor
Love Hina
Lucky*Star
Macross 7
Macross Zero
Mai HiME
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
Robotech
Spirited Away
You're Under Arrest/Full Throttle

I know there's others, but I can't recall them off the top of my head.

If I had to pick one favorite out of all that, I'd be hard-pressed to. There'll always be a special place for me for Robotech, because it's what started it all for me. Evangelion is my favorite; Love Hina a close second. Right now (because I've recently watched them) I'm liking FMP and Lucky*Star a bunch.
--j.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat Nov 24, 2007 3:48 am

BrikHaus wrote:I'm positive there are other threads exactly like this one on this forum.

There's a "what are you watching" and the "Anime recommendations" sticky; neither of which quite fit the bill.

I'd also say, if you can't add anything positive, then don't say it at all. There is little value in posting just to be a wet blanket.

@Topic
Avoiding titles that are too recent or are current (e.g. Dennou Coil), so have that bias, and going for ones where I don't just think in an abstract manner "this is well crafted story and animation, you should watch it", but have some warm feelings for, even if the title wouldn't fall into the "you should watch it" list (the ones that do are in bold)

Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha (I want to be the little girl :D )
Simoun
Kashimashi
Dirty Pair (incl Flash)
Gakuen Utopia Manabi Straight

The "this is well crafted story and animation, you should watch it" list would also include the usual (and not so usual) suspects like Akagi, Mushishi, GitS, Marimite, Kemonozume, Gankutsuou, much of ABe, Miyazaki, Oishii and Kon's oeuvres -- none of which have quite such a special place in my heart.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

the_seventh_child
radio gaga
radio gaga

•      
  •      

Postby the_seventh_child » Sat Nov 24, 2007 8:03 am

Eva Yojimbo wrote:Ghost in the Shell
Princess Mononoke
Grave of the Fireflies

^ Monster and X comes in the top of my head right now.
Anime and manga unite us all. Much better than the Olympics. - Carl Horn |11.30.2004.
"As of this moment, we are changing from soldiers to pirates!" - Captain Jeffrey Wilder (Macross Frontier #22)

Zuggy
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Zuggy » Sat Nov 24, 2007 9:32 am

Serial Experiments: Lain
Sign of the Stars (haven't seen the prequel OVA yet)
Galaxy Express 999
Ah! My Goddess (OVA and the TV series - haven't seen the second season yet - didn't think much of the movie)
Battle Angel Alita
Gasaraki
Captain Harlock
Dirty Pair Flash
Haibane Renmei
Kino's Journey
Azumanga Daioh (have to be in the right mood for this)
Abenobashi Shopping Arcade
Iczer 1/3
StarBlazers
Martian Successor Nadesico
Bubblegum Crisis (not that awful Tokyo 2024 series however!)
Patlabor movies

Arc: The Lad and New Gall Force I remember being fun, but that's all I remember about them >_>

Guilty pleasures -
Project A-Ko
Mahoromatic: Automatic Maiden
Magic Knight Rayearth
Cleopatra DC
Burn Up W
Burn Up XS
Cardcaptor Sakura
Musashi Gundoh (oh yes!)
Cutey Honey (and New, EDIT: must get around to seeing the live action movie for this as mentioned recently on ANF)

Watching Knight d'Eon on DVD, which is quite good so far. Currently enjoying Planetes whenever I catch it on Anime Central, but it's not holding my interest enough for me to set aside time for it or buy it. I'm interested in seeing Brain Powered and Blue Submarine #6 but heard mixed things about both of them. Also interested in seeing Requiem from the Darkness, is it as psychedelic as the trailer for it implies?
Last edited by Zuggy on Sat Nov 24, 2007 9:53 am, edited 2 times in total.

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Sat Nov 24, 2007 9:46 am

I saw Blue Sub #6 years ago on TV and thought it was pretty but pointless.
Requiem From the Darkness looks interesting and I'd like to hear opinions on it too.

Zuggy
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Zuggy » Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:04 am

Sometimes I like to leave my brain at the door and enjoy pretty but pointless movies (like the original Hellsing series)! I could be mean here and say 2001 is such a movie 'cause I know you luvvit...

If anyone has suggestions for balls to the wall anime, i.e. shit blowing up and fanservice all over the shop like the Iczer OVAs I'd be interested to know (I'm thinking about watching Burst Angel in the future, but that seems a bit bland) most of the anime I've seen has been far too serious and it can get a bit monotonous after awhile, so I want to spice things up...!

ThroneofDravaris
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby ThroneofDravaris » Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:53 am

Kare Kano, Azumanga Daioh, Martian Successor Nadesico and Cowboy Bebop would probably top the list.
BEWAREOBLIVIONISATHAND

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Sat Nov 24, 2007 12:15 pm

Mr. Tines wrote:There's a "what are you watching" and the "Anime recommendations" sticky; neither of which quite fit the bill.

This is the thread I was thinking of. They both have the same basic idea.
https://forum.evageeks.org/thread/3018/If-You-Were-to-Make-a-Best-Anime-of-All-Time-Lis/
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

DatDude
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby DatDude » Sat Nov 24, 2007 12:39 pm

right now

Avatar ( yes I class this as anime )

FLCL

GITS SAC

Cowboy Bebop

HELLSING ( OVA's )

Fullmetal Alchemist

Kikaider

thats all I can thinnk of ATM
There was an EVA Nerd here, but now he's gone.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat Nov 24, 2007 1:30 pm

I'd say that was a substantially different slant on things -- the "best of all time" is not necessarily the same as one's favourites. I wouldn't put Manabi Lesbian on any "best of all time" list, for one thing. :lol:
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

slothen
First Ancestral Sloth
First Ancestral Sloth

•      
  •      

Postby slothen » Sat Nov 24, 2007 5:04 pm

Texhnolyze had its moments, but was ultimately a waste of my time. I can't stand stuff thats so abstract. I fear ergo proxy (6 months and its not done yet) is going the same way.

For me, I'd say:

NGE
GitS SAC 1st season
Full metal alchemist
Simoun (thanks to Tines!)
Ouran Host Club (for being so goddamn funny)
(death note will probably make this list once i finish it)

and since this list is "favorite" and not "the greatest," I'd like to add:

Naruto episodes 1 to around episode 136.

datdude wrote:HELLSING ( OVA's )

OVA's = original voice actors? I saw a short Hellsing series that deviated significantly from the manga. I thought it was pretty terrible. :?
God, Apparently you all have been discussing Q since November. Catching up on the discussion is harrowing.

MAL Profile

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Sat Nov 24, 2007 5:31 pm

OVA=Original Video Animation. Or something released directly to video (DVD).

My favorites are in my anime list in my sig.

Zkh
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Zkh » Sat Nov 24, 2007 6:50 pm

Gunbuster is probably my favorite anime of all time. My other favorites are (in no order):

The original Mobile Suit Gundam
G Gundam (Yes, it has a shitty plot etc. but damn it was fun to watch)
GaoGaiGar (same reasons as G Gundam)
Sailor Moon
Bebop
Big-O
Getter Robo series
Dai-Guard
Azumanga Daioh
FLCL (nice little coming of age story)

There's more I don't feel like typing.

Return to “Anime and Manga”