Operation: Yashima Question

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Rave_Epic
Embryo

Operation: Yashima Question

•      
  •      

Postby Rave_Epic » Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:27 pm

Alright, so, everyone knows there are a few cam-rip clips of Operation Yashima going around.

I happened to notice that when Rei blocks the incoming attack with the new shield, Misato says "How much longer?" and Hyuuga replies with "20 seconds." Is this is an error? In the original series(Atleast with the subtitles that I have seen) he says 10 seconds.

Obviously I'm asking because I don't know if the subs I've seen(of the original series) are correct.

It only makes sense that it would be 10 seconds because don't they state that the shield only lasts 20? Unless in Rebuild it can last 30.

JP
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby JP » Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:06 pm

Rebuild doesnt contain every second of the show, I wouldn't worry too much about it.
The pregnancy is now absolute.

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:58 pm

it's a plothole

and there are a-plenty the universe of Evangelion
- TEH Fabulous Hal E. Burton 9000

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:24 pm

THE Hal E. Burton 9000 wrote:it's a plothole
So it does indeed still only last twenty seconds in Rebuild?
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

Rave_Epic
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Rave_Epic » Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:59 am

NAveryW wrote:
THE Hal E. Burton 9000 wrote:it's a plothole
So it does indeed still only last twenty seconds in Rebuild?

I'm glad you asked that, NAveryW. The two above posters didn't answer it.

If I wasn't worried about it, I wouldn't ask it.

Edit: It can't be a plot hole if it's in the original series. He said 10 seconds for a reason in the series. That's how long the shield had left. Shinji beat the clock.

If it's 20 in Rebuild, Shinji wouldn't need to be so hasty like he is. The scene in Rebuild is more epic, more intense and if it was indeed a subtitle mishap, no harm done. It SOUNDS like he's saying the exact same thing in both editions. The problem is subtitles have been known to be wrong(rly? I've heard ADV bombed a lot of the series) and that's why I need conformation

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:29 am

If someone who understands Japanese and has that mp3 wants to, they can grab my timestamps and do a quick verification. Other than that, maybe one of the handful of people here who has seen Rebuild and remembers this particular detail can clear it up, I don't remember what was said.

CtHuLhU
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby CtHuLhU » Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:48 pm

@Ornette maybe also you have a full timestamps? after translation of subs i'm so laaaazy for doing it =)
あやなみ ☆ すきだよ

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:51 pm

CtHuLhU wrote:@Ornette maybe also you have a full timestamps? after translation of subs for me to do it so laaaazy =)

I don't have anything more detailed than those. It was hard enough writing that much down in the theatre.

AchtungAffen
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby AchtungAffen » Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:40 pm

Weva 1.0 script (Japanese)
Part 1

Part 2
"Oh, Constantine! To how many evils origin was given, not by your conversion to Christianity, but by the dowry which from you received the first Pope that was rich!" - Dante
How can you expect to live in a Republic when you don't care about the res-publica?
"The gun, in all its forms, was the epochal tool of white male supremacy, which is why it continues to have irrational appeal. As much as the jack-booted hate Jews and blacks, that much they love their guns." - James Carrol
My List @ AniDB

- Original activist against the lockers-that-be -

Wevangeliwon
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Wevangeliwon » Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:14 pm

From what I can see, it is actually twenty seconds. They didn't mistranslate. Everything doesn't have to be the exact same thing in Rebuild.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:12 pm

*head-desk* I think Youtube DELETED!! those film festival clips, because I can't find 'em. >_<

Looking thru the Script, however... *giggles at Shinji's nervousness during the ZOMG Rei'S NAKED scene*

Rebuild Script part 2 wrote:「まだなの?!
「あと20秒!」
「はやく……はやく……!!」

Misato: How much longer?!
Hyuga(?): 20 more seconds!
Shinji: Hurry....Hurry....!!

Anyway, I don't see the big deal about the script change. Shinji STILL has to fire that shot at a certain time or else it's all over, after all.

EDIT: Holy crap, the film DOES have an Eyecatch? Is it the tv series/EoE Style? ;__;
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:33 pm

Yep, he did use the word "Ni-ju", or twenty. Rei was being cooked even when something was left of the shield, so if it had lasted a few seconds longer, she'd have been killed outright. I don't see anything big in this...although I wonder what the shield is made of. What kind of material can take a beam like that for so long? Any mention of "anti-electromagnetic coatings" or anything that could explain the shield's unique resilience?
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:32 pm

I think the real question was whether the total time was thirty seconds here, as it was originally just twenty.
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

Rave_Epic
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Rave_Epic » Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:50 pm

NAveryW wrote:I think the real question was whether the total time was thirty seconds here, as it was originally just twenty.

You win again.

I'm curious as to why everyone keeps saying I shouldn't worry about it or it's not a big deal. You guys forget that this is EvaGeeks. If something isn't right and I know about, I want to find the correct answer!

Thanks for lurking through the script and stuff. So, Hyuuga DOES say 20 in the movie...hmm...

I just checked the ADV's Renewal dub and Hyuuga says 10 seconds. I'm curious as to why Rebuild has more scenes(Land being removed, the shield cracking multiple times) AND has more time before the shield gets destroyed. You would think it would be the opposite.

Again, I appreciate the replies. I'm not trying to be rude or anything like that, but I'm a pretty hardcore fan of this damn good series.

cat42
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby cat42 » Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:17 pm

Rave_Epic wrote:I just checked the ADV's Renewal dub and Hyuuga says 10 seconds. I'm curious as to why Rebuild has more scenes(Land being removed, the shield cracking multiple times) AND has more time before the shield gets destroyed. You would think it would be the opposite.

Because remaking Operation Yashima is what Anno claims was a big motivation in making Rebuild.
"...I follow you both online and offline, and I am a 4-dimensional manifestation of absolute evil..." - Reichu-tachi
"In all cases, eventually it becomes necessary to decide to 'deliberately betray the fans.'" - Yoji Enokido
I believe in the director of Eva 1.11.

Rave_Epic
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Rave_Epic » Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:27 pm

cat42 wrote:
Rave_Epic wrote:I just checked the ADV's Renewal dub and Hyuuga says 10 seconds. I'm curious as to why Rebuild has more scenes(Land being removed, the shield cracking multiple times) AND has more time before the shield gets destroyed. You would think it would be the opposite.

Because remaking Operation Yashima is what Anno claims was a big motivation in making Rebuild.

You misread or maybe I wasn't clear enough..either way.

What I meant was, more scenes = more time elapsed before Hyuuga says 20 seconds left. 10 seconds would make more sense. This is weird, indeed.

Wevangeliwon
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Wevangeliwon » Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:56 am

cat42 wrote:

Quote or article? I am curious. I know he said that he wanted to make it more epic, but apart from that.

Anno has changed stuff around in Rebuild. They also do that with stuff all the time. They say a minute remains on something, and it is shorter or longer in actual on screen time. Hyuuga definitely says 'ni-jyu', which is twenty. I have no doubt it is just something Anno just decided upon to change. It's not a mistranslation and it is definitely changed. From looking at the script and my limited Japanese along with subs, he has change the phrasing of some things, so I would not find it unbelievable he put a new time limit on, maybe to give Shinji more time to fire. Maybe he thought it was unrealistic Shinji could re-fire in ten seconds and the fact the shield would be so weak it couldn't take more time.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:59 am

It's possible that they never mentioned how long the shield can withstand Ramiel's beam. Also, after the first blast from Ramiel, the positron emplacement was destroyed, so Shinji had to hold the gun up using the Eva instead of using the emplacement, which may have something to do with why it took 20 seconds for him to aim although it seemed to be shorter than that. All hell was breaking loose and there was a lot going on during those 20 seconds.

Rave_Epic
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Rave_Epic » Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:27 am

"They say a minute remains on something, and it is shorter or longer in actual on screen time."

I have to agree with you there. DragonBall Z anyone? However, don't you find it weird that there are more scenes going on after Ramiel shoots Rei in the movie as opposed to the series, but the time is extended? That's the only part that doesn't make sense to me. Hmm..but this is Anno we're talking about here.

"Maybe he thought it was unrealistic Shinji could re-fire in ten seconds and the fact the shield would be so weak it couldn't take more time."

Heh, before we question it being unrealistic for Shinji to fire that shot, I gotta go look at the huge transforming-hedron-ish creature shooting beams at two gigantic humanized robots...who is being shot at by one of the robots with the biggest sniper rifle in the world..

...with positron beams.

Unrealistic doesn't fit in Eva. :|

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:43 am

Rave_Epic wrote:However, don't you find it weird that there are more scenes going on after Ramiel shoots Rei in the movie as opposed to the series, but the time is extended?

I'm not sure if I'm following you here. Wouldn't inserting more scenes between A and B imply that it lasts longer? (A=when Ramiel fires and Rei blocks, B=when Shinji returns fire for the second time, after the 20 seconds).

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”