Forum Feedback

Important site and forum news, announcements, and feedback goes here.

Moderator: Board Staff

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

Forum Feedback

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Mon Jun 21, 2004 1:13 am

I figured I ought to make a topic concerning feedback. If you have any suggestions about the board's layout and structure, please feel free to make them here. I'm interested in hearing what people have to say, so I can refine the forum layout a bit better. As of now, it may just suit my own personal taste, but I'd like to hear what the casual member has to say, and take it into consideration as I polish the forums in the near future.

wildarmsheero
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby wildarmsheero » Mon Jun 21, 2004 7:45 am

Well, um, I think the board's layout is really well done. So, yeah... yeah. I still wouldn't mind a general off topic forum... for talking about current events and such. If this community is intelligent enough, an off topic forum should be able to make some decent conversation.
Last edited by wildarmsheero on Mon Jun 21, 2004 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Comic | Art | Music | Blog | Anime | DVDs
The Galaxy Express 999 will take you on a journey, a never-ending journey. The Galaxy Express 999 will take you on a journey into the stars!

DatDude
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby DatDude » Mon Jun 21, 2004 9:10 am

So far i've only got one complain I can't seem to post polls. Other wise every thing perfect monkey man.

DD
There was an EVA Nerd here, but now he's gone.

EVA-01X
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby EVA-01X » Mon Jun 21, 2004 11:21 am

I agree with WildArmsHeero, the forums is laid out really well, but an off-topic place would be nice as well
The demon returns after a long slumber....
http://www.evamade.org/user.php?id.161
New Signature Image Policy
^Clicky for Evamade!

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Mon Jun 21, 2004 2:29 pm

"The how and why, monkey style"

Polls.

I decided I didn't want polls to be a part of the forum. In general I find that they don't really serve a significant purpose. Polls do have their legitimacy, but in general, I find most Polls can do without being polls, and simply be a question to be answered.

I'm sorry, but this is one thing I'm fairly much set on.

Off Topic Forum/Discussion

This is another thing which I have decided against. This is a site dedicated to the promotion of Evangelion and closely related topics. I intend for this forum to excel at Eva discussion. This is not a community, this is a forum. I want to create a place of strong discussion, and keeping people on track and on topic will aid in that. Community aspects are something I am not against, but have no intention of incorporating or nurturing. I also have to consider the eventuality of a large forum database, and the fewer topics not pertaining to Eva there are, the more efficient and viable this place will be as a place of discussion.

I hope I don't sound like an asshole concerning this, this is the first time I have seriously administered a forum, so this is largely experimental. And in time I may accomadate people's wishes for more off topic stuff. But for now, I would like to stick to the reason you're all here... Eva.

Maverick
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Maverick » Mon Jun 21, 2004 10:06 pm

I think, in case you haven't thought about it yet, you should come with some rules about the size of images that are placed in the signature field. I personally think that mine is a little bit big for the forum's standards, but I couldn't find any rule about the size in order to edit my pic.

Some rules about it (like the avatar's rules) would be nice to keep the forum's load in an acceptable level.
Boo!

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Mon Jun 21, 2004 11:11 pm

Rules and guidelines are still being drafted. They will be along shortly.

MDWigs
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby MDWigs » Tue Jun 22, 2004 6:39 pm

An option to turn of the display of Signatures and Avatars would also be nice. Most other forums offer that ability (AB and AN to name just two) and it benifits both those who have low bandwidth, and those who just don't care to see them.

Other than that it's a pretty nice forum.
"Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen- year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time." --Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Tue Jun 22, 2004 7:00 pm

Unfortunately, phpbb doesn't allow users to disable sigs and avatars. But as of now, its not so bad. I'm on dial-up, and the forum loads quicker than the main site does. If I can find a mod for phpbb that allows users to disable seeing other people's sigs, I'll implement it.

Thanks for the comments, I hope you'll stick around. After all, you are a fixture of the online Eva community. What would a forum be without you? :)

MongolSquad
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby MongolSquad » Tue Jun 22, 2004 7:31 pm

will the newbie tags under our names ever be removed?

EVA-01X
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby EVA-01X » Tue Jun 22, 2004 7:39 pm

get twenty post and you'll be a "Newcomer" Like me :wink:
The demon returns after a long slumber....
http://www.evamade.org/user.php?id.161
New Signature Image Policy
^Clicky for Evamade!

MDWigs
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby MDWigs » Wed Jun 23, 2004 3:57 am

The Eva Monkey Posted:

Unfortunately, phpbb doesn't allow users to disable sigs and avatars. But as of now, its not so bad. I'm on dial-up, and the forum loads quicker than the main site does. If I can find a mod for phpbb that allows users to disable seeing other people's sigs, I'll implement it.

Try emailing Scuzzy, the admin of the www.ausanime.com boards. Ausanime uses phpBB and he has modded it to allow the deactivation of signatures and avatars. I used to co-admin the www.evangelion.com forums with Scuzzy back in the days when it still existed, he is a good guy and should be able to help you else. The other phpBB forum I can think of off the top of my head that has that ability is www.anime-forums.com so you could try asking the webmaster there.

For the dial-up issue, in the past I've found that it's generally more a problem when you are trying to view pages with many posts all with sig images and big avatars. Of course I haven't used dialup for a while now, so that particular issue doesn't really worry me. ^_

Thanks for the comments, I hope you'll stick around. After all, you are a fixture of the online Eva community. What would a forum be without you?

Thanks for the compliment! I do intend to stick around (I try to join every Eva forum I find, and will do my best to post on the active ones) however for the next couple of months at least I'll be a little quiet. I'm backpacking Europe, so it's a little difficult to keep up to date with forum developments. I'll do my best to check back from time to time though, and I hope to see lots of interesting discussion here!

Good luck! ^_^
"Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen- year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time." --Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

dennisud
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby dennisud » Wed Jun 23, 2004 10:34 am

Will there be a fanfiction discussion section in the future?
Most Eva related forums I'm on have that somewhere.
Will this one have it as well?

:?:
dennisud

History repeats itself, especially for those who don't learn from it! Hence the name "Butt head!" Hehehehehehe!!

http://www.geocities.com/dennisud2015/

MongolSquad
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby MongolSquad » Wed Jun 23, 2004 3:18 pm

i don't know what im doing wrong but when i click the quote button on posts and then type a response to it and finally submit it, the box doesn't show up, it still has the script command. please help me.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Wed Jun 23, 2004 4:23 pm

MDWigs' forum concerns

I'll look into it. I intend to add more functionality, such as Quick Reply, and disabling Signatures, Avatars, etc. I also intend to create an extremely streamlined forum layout which caters to people's desire for speed versus aesthetics.

dennisud's fan fiction concerns

Fan fiction is something I'm very much aversive to, and I'm trying very hard to break from that mold. I intend to flesh out a fan fiction guide on the site in the future. But for now I'm only one person, and I've only so much free time to go around. As this forum grows and improves, I intend to integrate it more fully, encouraging both content, and interaction. Uploading fan fiction and reviewing fan fiction may one day be a part of the site, but for now, its on the back burner. If you would like to post fan fiction, or discuss a specific piece of fan fiction, the promotional forum is fair game. If enough fan fic discussion gets stirred up, and deserves its own dedicated forum, I will create a forum for that purpose. So I would highly encourage you to initiate that conversation.

cain luppus' posting concerns

Instructions for enabling bbcode in posts is in your inbox.

MantiCore
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby MantiCore » Fri Jun 25, 2004 3:13 am

It appears i've run into a problem.

If I have the "keep me logged in" box checked, it still logs me out everytime I return to the main forum page (by clicking the top image, keeps me logged in if I click via the navigation bar). Closing the browser and returning also logs me out everytime.

Thinking it was my PC's problem I played with a few things. I tried switching browsers (use and registered using Firefox..no problems with the process), the latest version of IE also had the same problem. Tried clearing my cache, history and cookies with both browsers, but the problem still exists.

Tried logging on with another one of my PCs, to no avail. Called a friend and asked him to try it out on my account (thought my IP could be the problem), and the problem still exists.

I post on 9 other forums using varying (some similar) forum software and have never encountered a problem like this.

Any suggestions (outside of re-registering, I didn't want to cloud the memberlist with inactive accounts)?

Also: Edits be damned, I cannot create a signature of any kind.
Last edited by MantiCore on Fri Jun 25, 2004 3:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheMessiah
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby TheMessiah » Fri Jun 25, 2004 3:23 am

aside from errors with viewed and unviewed topics. i dont encounter any problems at all
monstrum in fronte, monstrum in animo

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hexon.Arq » Thu Jul 15, 2004 11:48 pm

I'm not sure if this has already been raised (I can only read so fast), but: the threads. Is it just me, or do they seem to take on a lot of posts before they break off into separate pages? They seem quite long and are taking forever to load. It could just be my imagination, but if not, what'sa deal with that? (It might just be the layout.)

Also, I've been facing a slightly annoying situation where italic, bold, and underline tags only show up at the very bottom, even when you try to insert them elsewhere. I don't know if it's the same for everyone else, but is it supposed to serve any practical purpose?

_you can't do anything, so don't even try
_get some help
_don't do what sonic does

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Fri Jul 16, 2004 12:16 am

Well, I decreased the posts per page from 50 to 30. I have a terrible dial up connection, and have never found the forum to be slow, but if you say so.

As for the text modifiers, simply clicking on them will insert them at the very end of the post. If you select text, it will place them around said text. That's simply how phpbb works.

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hexon.Arq » Fri Jul 16, 2004 12:22 am

Well, no matter how bad your connection is, mine is probably worse. :P That actually helped a lot; thanks.

_you can't do anything, so don't even try
_get some help
_don't do what sonic does

Return to “EvaGeeks News and Feedback”