EGF Con Panel get-together??

For discussion of and submissions for the EvaGeeks Wiki and Commentary. Open to all posters.

Moderators: UrsusArctos, Board Staff

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

EGF Con Panel get-together??

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:21 pm

Recently, V PMed me in letting me know about either the definite or potential possibly (I'm not sure which, to be honest ^^; ) of an EGF panel at one of the East Coast Cons this coming year. (Summer, I'm assuming.)

Since I'm long overdue for a visit to the Mothership, I might be able to swing by if I beg and plead Mommy Dearest and along with possibly-needed begging from my Dad & Stepmom enough (ala Cartman, in a sweet voice: "Mam...?"), but the main thing I'm curious about is the details.

eg: Would it be at Otakon '08 or somewhere, when exactly would this be, would there actually be a EGF Panel instead of just the two Clarks, or would the Con be more of a fun excuse to get together and hang out in RL since the Wiki project is probably quite sometimes from being finished?

Discuss.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:10 pm

I'd go, but be warned, I'm a very boring person in person, unless I've been drinking.

BobBQ
Dyskolos
Dyskolos

•      
  •      

Postby BobBQ » Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:27 pm

I'd recommend doing it at Otakon, since there will be plenty of people.

And me, probably.

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:48 am

I only ever go to I-CON on Long Island (NY), a I am a neophyte to "organized fandom"

I don't know if anyone else could come to that.

My hope was that Rebuild of Eva comes out in Japan on DVD in February (right?) so we could get the Japanese DVD then fansub it and then show it around the convention circuit, as a devious way to cross-promote EvaGeeks.org

Of course I'd LIKE to show Rebuild at my local con (where all my "peeps" are) but that depends on the plausibility of that

Meanwhile, I knew that Rachel and Aaron host panels at Otakon, so I kind of theorized "what if we have "Rebuild of Eva fansubbed, presented by EvaGeeks.org, at Otakon" (as a devious cross-promotion) and while we're at it everyone in that general region of the USA should show up.

Er, Baltimore is actually kind of in the mid-Atlantic so it's not "northeast" but people from both northeast and florida could come at a stretch.

I don't know.

Nonetheless I really wanted to go to Otakon and I'm really interested in say, hosting or co-hosting a panel on Eva at I-CON as well or something.

I dunno, it's just that the video of "Tiffany Grant and Matt Greenfield talk live action eva and rebuild at tekkoshocon" looked really kick-ass, and Rachel and Aaron's descriptions of their panel at Otakon (featureing, er, the vagina imagery of EVa (dude, it's EVERYWHERE)) looked pretty cool.

Of course, the ultimate goal is that when Live Action Eva comes out, we're already hosting "EvaGeeks fan panels" at conventions, directly paralleling what TheOneRing.net did for Lord of the Rings movies, culminating in them hosting the "O.R.C." conventions which even cast members would come to.

My stated goal as of last June was for us to forge the ultimate, comprehensive multi-platform Evangelion fansite directly paralleling TheOneRing.net's scope, scale, and success; uniting the online Eva encyclopedia and commentary project of Reichu with the established forums, information resources, and news outlet of EvaMonkey (by and large I think the EvaMonkey forums were the biggest remaining english-language Eva messageboard).

Next....Rebuild of Eva is a godsend, and I think that Gainax may have-seriously think that an added bonus is that it will renew interest in a live-action Eva project. On our end at least, it allows a new Eva mega-site to "gain steam" as it were. Think about it; if there were no new Eva material coming out, building a fully-operational set of fan resources for a live-action film which might not even happen would be pretty difficult.

The idea is that EvaGeeks will be a self-fulfilling prophesy: LOTR became a movie largely because it ALWAYS had a large fanbase, due to the constant popularity of the books, so there were already a good number of LOTR sites out; they did grow when the movies came, but there was still something there.

Online Eva fandom, however, has seen better days; we're not in the glory-days of 5 years ago; fansubbing new DVDs which come out at cons (everyone just steals them off the Internet these days).

Anyway, the idea is that we develop the ultimate Evangelion fan community AND information site, the ultimate guide to Eva. LOTR fans had years upon years of scholarly analysis to back up LOTR, so when the filming began....by and large the film-makers knew what they were doing.

That's our goal here.

That's the goal of the "self-fulfilling prophesy": with LOTR, the online fans, TheOneRing.net in particular, were essentially a free, independent promotional department for the films which just came out of the woodwork; agressively promoting not only the development of the project but its financial, critical, and popular success. In short, organized fandom ins the Fifth Estate (more on that later, I've got a whole essay....)

At any rate, UNLIKE Lord of the Rings, there isn't really quite as coherent an organization for Eva facts; ask people "whose soul is in Eva 00" and you'll still get a dozen answers. Casual fans, without the support of scholarly books on Eva stuff (like with LOTR and "what is the nature of Balrogs?") often rely on the poor ADV films commentary (that's why the "Asuka Conglomerate at end of EoE" theory is so widespread, despite being baseless)

My fear is that a live action film, without the benefit of an independent fansite serving as a repository of information, would for example actually use ADV's misinterpreted "Asuka conglomerate theory"

With LOTR, we ALREADY had an army of fans and fansites, clearly explaining the "do Balrogs have wings"? question, so the writers and producers of the films knew EXACTLY what they were doing (i.e. in the DVD commentary, they explain the Balrogs have wings debate, proving that they FULLY understand the debate, but that they weighed the evidence and chose to go with "yes they have wings" (many fans including myself hold with this position))

At any rate, we first need to develop an Evapedia and EvaCommentary fully explaining all things Eva, making one convenient, COMPREHENSIVE, and DEFINATIVE guide to all things EVa. It will be idiot-proof and more importantly, geared to not only explaining things to the hardcore fan who has been watching the show for a decade, but to educate the total noobies.

I'm intentionally writing everything I write on Evapedia with an eye towards "the live action people and Weta are going to be reading this one day, and we have to explain it to them without usage of 133T speek and internet slang but explain it gradually as one might a total newbie.

After we get that settled, we then need to mobilize a global fan-army, centered around conventions (exactly what LOTR did).....to unify everything and make the disparate groups one united whole, to smash our way into the major box office, and, dare I dream?, the major awards.

(just like what LOTR did)

Some would call this a "mad dream". Well,

"Codename V is not merely considered insane, he *is* insane" -- Detective Finch, V for Vendetta graphic novel

Yeah, by next August all of this should be in place, by my reckoning.

But the hope is that 2-3 years from now, just as TheOneRing.net's folks did things to help out the LOTR and Weta Digital people, so will we (Aaron himself expressed the thing about that people with video skills kind of always hope to work with Weta on the project).--->More importantly for all concerned, the goal is that we become the driving fandom force that TORN was, and get to host our own conventions (or at least, host major panels devoted to Eva at cons, possibly even Comic-Con if it truly is "the next LOTR") and that the cast and crew of the live action films come to our stuff. Just like TORN had LOTR cast members at their conventions, I dream of getting Live Action Eva cast and crew to come to EvaGeeks conventions.

That's the dream, though.

But hey, Step 1 of merging EvaCommentary(+Evapedia) with EvaMonkey is already complete.....
Who is "Codename V"?....
I'm pleased to meet you and I hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game...so catch me if you can!! (0:50)
"Superior ability breeds superior ambition" -- Spock, Star Trek TOS episode 1.24 "Space Seed"
You say you say you want a REvolution?...
-->It was only after I lost everything, that I realized: I was free to do anything...

Szmitten
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Szmitten » Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:09 pm

It would be nearly impossible for me, not that you'd be missing much anyway.

EDIT: In other words, crossing an ocean is somewhat out of the question.
Last edited by Szmitten on Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:45 pm

It's difficult to have a IRL get together when you consider that we have people all over the world.

I'll be at Otakon 08. I'm serving as a lieutenant in the Panels department, so the likelihood of an Eva panel is pretty freaking good, and I'm toying with creative ideas to necessitate it being a 2 hour event.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:50 pm

Sucks to hear that Szmitten.

So does this mean I'd get to see and hear the drunken antics of both Smith(??) and Ornette-kun? Fun! :lol:

@ V: I understand about wanting to make Eva Geeks THE Eva site, but I though Reichu and some others actually didn't WANT this to be a site that ADV/Weta/whoever would see it/get involved since it's for fans, by fans?
(My current stance is I'm somewhat indifferent, I guess I wouldn't really care if both occur provided ADV/whoever wouldn't stick their nose in.)

In terms of Rebuild 1.0 fansubbed, that would be kick-ass, but I was under the impression that fansubs and the like are NOT allowed at Cons? (Which is kinda stupid due to the nature of fansubs, but...)

That's a good point about Baltimore not being Northeast in regards to everything else but, uh.... Anybody know just how far away it is from Albany? -_- (...Come hell or high water! I *must* pass all my classes so I can graduate this year and not worry about any Summer Classes in August!)

And Fail for Otakon of having some stupid rule of "No-sign wearing allowed"! My secret dream of all of you solely IDing me by the "Fem-Kaworu: Truth" sign around my neck has been shattered! :cry: (What's sad is I'm serious about this.)

And I'm also boring and quiet IRL but I don't give a shit. I want to due something exiciting and nerdy; it's been far too long! (Plus being a part of a panel would be interesting.)

@ Monkey: I doubt we could get every single person (eg: Unless Ojichan and Dr. Nick among others feels like visiting the States) but I think having a few people represent our site would work.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:42 pm

Sailor Star Dust wrote:And Fail for Otakon of having some stupid rule of "No-sign wearing allowed"! My secret dream of all of you solely IDing me by the "Fem-Kaworu: Truth" sign around my neck has been shattered! :cry: (What's sad is I'm serious about this.)

As an Otakon staffer, I'd like to say that it's very easy to criticize the no-sign policy from the outside, but it's an escalating problem of people creating traffic and safety issues. Just be glad Otakon hasn't gone to the point of confiscating cameras. That's the one problem they've been unable to come up with a creative and reasonable solution to.

Sailor Star Dust wrote:@ Monkey: I doubt we could get every single person (eg: Unless Ojichan and Dr. Nick among others feels like visiting the States) but I think having a few people represent our site would work.

I'll certainly be representing EvaGeeks, just don't expect me to do something informative and promotional. I'd rather use the time to have fun and geek out.

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:43 pm

@ V: I understand about wanting to make Eva Geeks THE Eva site, but I though Reichu and some others actually didn't WANT this to be a site that ADV/Weta/whoever would see it/get involved since it's for fans, by fans?
(My current stance is I'm somewhat indifferent, I guess I wouldn't really care if both occur provided ADV/whoever wouldn't stick their nose in.)

"The is our chance. We cannot make time run backwards, but we can spur its course forward with our own hands." --Gendo, Episode 22

Again paralleling Theonering.net; just because they were "polite" to the movie producers didn't mean they were their lapdogs; indeed, they disagreed with them quite strongly at times. Make no mistake, WE THE GEEKY ONLINE FANS will be the ones holding the reigns. If we don't make the push to do so, then ADV will be holding the reigns, or Hollywood will be, or the (gasp) "mainstream audience" will be "holding the reigns"; imagine if LOTR had been "hollywood" films with mostly-hollywood "A-list actors". Or the wikipedia-addicts will try to muscle in.

No, "stated goal is to immitate what TORN did" means doing specifically what TORN did: making sure that the hardcore fans of the source material (the books in LOTR's case, the original series in Eva's case) will have a VICE GRIP on the throat of the next fandom.

The Eva Monkey wrote:It's difficult to have a IRL get together when you consider that we have people all over the world.

I'll be at Otakon 08. I'm serving as a lieutenant in the Panels department, so the likelihood of an Eva panel is pretty freaking good, and I'm toying with creative ideas to necessitate it being a 2 hour event.

my hopes were along the lines of "grab the Rebuild DVD straight from Japan, which should be out in February?, then fansub it and show it around at conventions, host pre- and post-movie Eva panels, and use it as a sly way to cross-promote EvaGeeks"

Question: what is Otakon's costume policy, re a full V for Vendetta costume with cape and mask?
Who is "Codename V"?....
I'm pleased to meet you and I hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game...so catch me if you can!! (0:50)
"Superior ability breeds superior ambition" -- Spock, Star Trek TOS episode 1.24 "Space Seed"
-->It was only after I lost everything, that I realized: I was free to do anything...

drinian
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby drinian » Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:22 pm

Question: what is Otakon's costume policy, re a full V for Vendetta costume with cape and mask?

As far as I know, the only restrictions on costumes relate to weapons that are or appear dangerous (no metal swords at all, no guns that look real), so you should be fine. (And, of course, your usual standards of public decency).

My secret dream of all of you solely IDing me by the "Fem-Kaworu: Truth" sign around my neck has been shattered!

The work-around is, of course, tshirts with lettering.

And, for the record, I have had a sign at Otakon (reading "Eva Monkey Forums") personally destroyed by Aaron. But he's right -- not only are the "free hugs/glomps" signs dangerously close to solicitation, what with all the kids around, but there's already enough traffic problems with photography.

In any case, I should be there. May be somewhat jetlagged, as I'm headed over to England the week before that to go see David Tennant and Patrick Stewart in Hamlet. Maybe I should look up Tines.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:41 pm

drinian wrote:Maybe I should look up Tines.

Well, we do now once again have a functional guest bedroom, after a couple of years' interruption for building works.

What dates would this be? I can't spot anything obvious in the thread.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

BobBQ
Dyskolos
Dyskolos

•      
  •      

Postby BobBQ » Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:58 pm

The convention is 8/08 to 8/10. You do the math.

Sailor Star Dust wrote:So does this mean I'd get to see and hear the drunken antics of both Smith(??) and Ornette-kun? Fun! :lol:

I don't drink, but attending panels until ~ 3:00 AM has a similar effect.

@ Aaron: If you need to pad out the panel at all, just bring me on to talk about hardware. I might actually do a panel of my own if I can get my act together in time.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:19 pm

I don't drink (or smoke) either, so good to know I guess. ^_^

While there if we do this, perhaps we could all have lunch or dinner one day? ...No gluten and low or no sugar for me.

Even better: Watching Renewal: the Feature Films (Remastered Death(true)^2 and EoE) at somebody's hotel room or at the actual Con! XD
...Same with Webuild 1.0!

Jeez, I get excited too easily. ^^; Now I can quite literally look up to Reichu 'cause I'm such a shrimp, yay!

@ Monkey: Thanks for the headsup. I've only been to one Con (AX 04) so I don't really know all the dos and don'ts. So, what's Otakon's policy on fansubs?
Last edited by Sailor Star Dust on Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:20 pm

drinian wrote:

As far as I know, the only restrictions on costumes relate to weapons that are or appear dangerous (no metal swords at all, no guns that look real), so you should be fine.

Oh crud, they had to go and take away my shiny daggers...
Who is "Codename V"?....

BobBQ
Dyskolos
Dyskolos

•      
  •      

Postby BobBQ » Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:49 pm

drinian wrote:As far as I know, the only restrictions on costumes relate to weapons that are or appear dangerous (no metal swords at all, no guns that look real), so you should be fine.

I'm pretty sure the prop guns rules include an orange tip requirement and a no-moving-parts clause, though I saw some pretty convincing ones when I was there.

drinian
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby drinian » Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:31 pm

Sailor Star Dust wrote:So, what's Otakon's policy on fansubs?

As far as I know they will show fansubs for unlicensed series, although things have gotten more commercial of late. (I have seen them switch from dubs to subs on DVDs due to audience demand, though). I've seen a lot of things that I would have never have heard of otherwise. It's still not at all like AX, which struck me as a big advertisement for the US importers.

And don't forget, it's 9 months away, giving us about 8 months and 3 weeks to plan a meetup.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

GLABARHFOAHHA!!!!!! @_@;

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:47 pm

I know the Con (so it WOULD be Otakon 08?) is aways away, BUT....

It's just I personally need to figure things out more or less NOW since I think my folks will be going to Settle in the summer, leaving me in NY with my mom.

Plus I dunno how long that would be for (eg: July or August or both?), if I'd be able to get all my GE & AA (transfer) requirements in and pass ALL my upcoming hard classes to graduate so I have to take any Summer Classes in early July thru middle August, etc etc.

....Is anybody here good at College level Biology or Chemistry 101? I'll have to take the former in Winter Quarter and the latter possibly in my final Spring quarter...Tutors aren't always available... (Lately I've been feeling rather screwed with my interesting but hard Meteorology class due to NO TUTORS being available. Supposedly my dad can help me though.)

*ahem* Yeah. Sorry.

Also: Is Redeath: Redux shown there each year? DO WANT. If I am indeed able to go to Otakon and that's playing, then to hell with trying to get to Fanime!

drinian
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: GLABARHFOAHHA!!!!!! @_@;

•      
  •      

Postby drinian » Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:13 pm

Sailor Star Dust wrote:Also: Is Redeath: Redux shown there each year? DO WANT. If I am indeed able to go to Otakon and that's playing, then to hell with trying to get to Fanime!

The Saturday night fan parodies are pretty much the highlight of the con, and what makes it unique. As far as I know they always show Redeath -- I know it's happened every year since I started going ('04?).

V
Banned

Re: GLABARHFOAHHA!!!!!! @_@;

•      
  •      

Postby V » Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:52 pm

Sailor Star Dust wrote:
....Is anybody here good at College level Biology or Chemistry 101? I'll have to take the former in Winter Quarter and the latter possibly in my final Spring quarter...Tutors aren't always available... (Lately I've been feeling rather screwed with my interesting but hard Meteorology class due to NO TUTORS being available. Supposedly my dad can help me though.)

a lifetime ago I was a biology major; what is your class?
Who is "Codename V"?....

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Nov 15, 2007 1:53 pm

It's not happening 'till next quarter, but I'm going to be taking Biology.

I'll let you know more about that when it comes up, though I wouldn't want to bug you too much since you're probably busy with things, too.

@ drinian: Sweet! ^_^ *does a happy dance* Now I get to see what they added to the "I'M GOING TO SUCK THE LIFE OUT OF YOU!" scene! (Nobody tell me!)

Return to “Wiki Editing and Discussion”