FINAL VERSION of ep01 commentary.

For Eva-related fan projects: fanfiction, fanart, AMVs, and other creations. Share your work and discuss others' here.

Moderator: Board Staff

slothen
First Ancestral Sloth
First Ancestral Sloth

FINAL VERSION of ep01 commentary.

•      
  •      

Postby slothen » Sun Nov 11, 2007 5:01 am

Play alongside episode 1, adjust volume as you see fit. Discuss here.

Final Version right here.

http://rapidshare.com/files/70938430/ep01.mp3
Last edited by slothen on Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
God, Apparently you all have been discussing Q since November. Catching up on the discussion is harrowing.

MAL Profile

Indigo Arcangel
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Indigo Arcangel » Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:34 am

Just listening to it now. Sound is a bit messed up, but I guess that is to be expected.

Is it possible to have the video included in the file? All the audio for my applications is linked. If I reduce the volume of the video, I reduce the volume of the commentary, and vice versa. Maybe some subtitles would be good too.
Normality is overrated

Kaworu/Asuka - give it a chance!
(Clarification - I still like Asuka/Shinji)

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:43 am

Indigo Arcangel wrote:Is it possible to have the video included in the file?
Absolutely not. From what I gather, that's one of the things that could sick ADV on our asses.

Indigo Arcangel wrote: All the audio for my applications is linked. If I reduce the volume of the video, I reduce the volume of the commentary, and vice versa.
What are you using to watch the commentary/episode? If you have multiple media players, each usually has an individual volume control. Even Youtube has its own volume control.

Indigo Arcangel wrote: Maybe some subtitles would be good too.
Subtitles of what we're saying? I wouldn't have a clue how to do that or if it's even possible...
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

Indigo Arcangel
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Indigo Arcangel » Sun Nov 11, 2007 8:36 am

What are you using to watch the commentary/episode? If you have multiple media players, each usually has an individual volume control. Even Youtube has its own volume control.

I use realplayer to watch the dvd, and listen to the commentary on VLC.
They do have separate volume controls, but they seem to interfere with each other. I turn it down on one, it does the same to the other. I turn one up, it does the same to the other.

Why does it do this? Probably just because I have a really fucked up computer. :cry:
Normality is overrated

Kaworu/Asuka - give it a chance!
(Clarification - I still like Asuka/Shinji)

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:22 am

I have no idea why that would happen, but perhaps someone here will...
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:27 am

I just listened to it. Good job guys. Can I make one suggestion? If you do decide to re-record it, seeing as how it's a test run, I have a comment that would be awesome to hear.

When the LCL first showed up, slothen said, "This is ripped off straight from James Camerons' The Abyss."

That's true (maybe), but also, this breathable liquid is a real thing. Maybe you could make a comment like, "This exists in real life and is called perfluorocarbon. However, it can't be implemented in real life because it causes lung and kidney damage."

Of course, that's neither here nor there. Just a suggestion if you ever go back.

P.S. In the opening credits, it lists the writer of "Fly me to the moon."

P.P.S. Best line was from Slothen (I think): "This is a scene that bandage festishists will hold dear to their hearts until the end of time." lol
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

slothen
First Ancestral Sloth
First Ancestral Sloth

•      
  •      

Postby slothen » Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:50 am

BrikHaus wrote:P.P.S. Best line was from Slothen (I think): "This is a scene that bandage festishists will hold dear to their hearts until the end of time." lol

:lol:

I just tested VLC player and Windows Media Player Classic. It can work that way. Besides, VLC is something you want anyway because it gives you the option to actually take screen shots.
God, Apparently you all have been discussing Q since November. Catching up on the discussion is harrowing.

MAL Profile

Trigger's Elysium
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Trigger's Elysium » Sun Nov 11, 2007 5:26 pm

So what did you use to record all this? Ventrilo or something?
He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man. There is no measuring Muad'Dib's motives by ordinary standards. In the moment of his triumph, he saw the death prepared for him, yet he accepted the treachery. Can you say he did this out of a sense of justice? Whose justice, then? Remember, we speak now of the Muad'Dib who ordered battle drums made from his enemies' skins, the Muad'Dib who denied the conventions of his ducal past with a wave of the hand, saying merely: "I am the Kwisatz Haderach. That is reason enough."

Shiro
Scribe
Scribe

•      
  •      

Postby Shiro » Sun Nov 11, 2007 5:33 pm

Ventrillo.

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:08 pm

BrikHaus wrote:Just a suggestion if you ever go back.

We can still put that in somewhere else. The topic of LCL will come up again, surely.

What did everyone think of the sound quality? I realize that it's not professional level, but was it good enough to not make listening to it a pain in the ear?

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Sun Nov 11, 2007 8:14 pm

Eva Yojimbo wrote:What did everyone think of the sound quality? I realize that it's not professional level, but was it good enough to not make listening to it a pain in the ear?

Sound quality was fairly good, but I noticed two things. First, Yoyimbo, the volume of your voice sounded lower, like it was farther away than everyone else. Second, man in black's quality was distorted and garbled, and had a lot of "hard p's" which was kind of distracting. Hopefully, those things can be improved.
Awesomely Shitty
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Sun Nov 11, 2007 8:24 pm

*Intentional Double Post*

Sorry, but I wanted to bump this so I could relay the thoughts of some impartial folk I showed it to.

1) The biggest complaint was on Themaninblack's sound (mic). Sorry about this, but I think you really need a better mic because the breathing and crackling is a bit annoying and rather loud compared to the rest of the commentary. I got my mic up at a big Walmart for $15 and it seems to work well enough (just a bit short for my fat head).

2) Another complaint was a lot of talking over each other because they said certain things were lost, like the "entry plug = tampon" joke and apparently nobody caught that I said it was Rei in the closing sequence spinning (everyone asked "who is that?").

3) There were some complaints about things mentioned and not explained. For instance one of us said "EoE" without mentioning what it stood for. I definitely think we need to be more explanatory with things. Especially those things we take for granted that everyone knows; newbies (the aim of this commentary) tend not to.

4) They also suggested a balancing of audio (left, right, mid-left, mid-right).

What they liked:

1) Information like Shito/Angel, the torn up paper (though someone asked about its significance), info on the Geo-Front, the Rei bandage joke, the "conversational" quality, the noting of motifs like the hand.

I'll post some more thoughts as I remember them. Overall it was positive, but I think we definitely have room for improvements. Whether we re-do it or not is a matter for discussion. I'm not definite one way or the other yet, so I'll see what others think, though right now I think it might be a good idea to re-do it.

I'd also suggest some more translation notes because the Shito/Angel bit was received well. There was a mention of a joke in the elevator that didn't translate but we forgot to mention what it was.

BrikHaus wrote:Hopefully, those things can be improved.
I will play with mine later to see what I can do. I noticed that too. The EQ is definitely off.

EDIT: Okay, I fixed the sound on mine. The levels were way low. It sounds about perfect now, though I want to do a quick test recording with the commentators to see how it's mixed with theirs.

Themaninblack
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Themaninblack » Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:34 pm

Eva Yojimbo wrote:*Intentional Double Post*

Sorry, but I wanted to bump this so I could relay the thoughts of some impartial folk I showed it to.

1) The biggest complaint was on Themaninblack's sound (mic). Sorry about this, but I think you really need a better mic because the breathing and crackling is a bit annoying and rather loud compared to the rest of the commentary. I got my mic up at a big Walmart for $15 and it seems to work well enough (just a bit short for my fat head).

2) Another complaint was a lot of talking over each other because they said certain things were lost, like the "entry plug = tampon" joke and apparently nobody caught that I said it was Rei in the closing sequence spinning (everyone asked "who is that?").

I can have a better mic by next week
3) There were some complaints about things mentioned and not explained. For instance one of us said "EoE" without mentioning what it stood for. I definitely think we need to be more explanatory with things. Especially those things we take for granted that everyone knows; newbies (the aim of this commentary) tend not to.

4) They also suggested a balancing of audio (left, right, mid-left, mid-right).

What they liked:

1) Information like Shito/Angel, the torn up paper (though someone asked about its significance), info on the Geo-Front, the Rei bandage joke, the "conversational" quality, the noting of motifs like the hand.

I'll post some more thoughts as I remember them. Overall it was positive, but I think we definitely have room for improvements. Whether we re-do it or not is a matter for discussion. I'm not definite one way or the other yet, so I'll see what others think, though right now I think it might be a good idea to re-do it.

I'd also suggest some more translation notes because the Shito/Angel bit was received well. There was a mention of a joke in the elevator that didn't translate but we forgot to mention what it was.

BrikHaus wrote:Hopefully, those things can be improved.
I will play with mine later to see what I can do. I noticed that too. The EQ is definitely off.

EDIT: Okay, I fixed the sound on mine. The levels were way low. It sounds about perfect now, though I want to do a quick test recording with the commentators to see how it's mixed with theirs.

I think we should do a re-do...I'm getting a btter mic next week...I might even get it tomorrow. :oops:

Damn and I was the one too mention the tampon joke too...rats.
I won.

slothen
First Ancestral Sloth
First Ancestral Sloth

•      
  •      

Postby slothen » Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:34 pm

about the shito/angel thing, send me a PM explaining it, because even though I was right there, I didn't get it.

MAL Profile

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:41 pm

I guess we got 3 votes for a redo, that seems to be enough. Hurry up and get a mic theman, pretty please.

Slothen: Shito = Messenger in Japanese, Tenshi = Angel, and they call the Angels "Shito" in the series, but it's translated as Angel.

slothen
First Ancestral Sloth
First Ancestral Sloth

•      
  •      

Postby slothen » Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:11 pm

Oh, duh. Its just because I usually watch the dub. I know, I've already gotten a lot of flak over it.

MAL Profile

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:32 pm

Shito was said wrong. Dunno how to explain it, but you're right about what means what though.

And yes, you're right about the original script.

Anyway the commentary was great, I loved it. The only problem is it was kinda scratchy with hearing things. >_<

I'd like to be able to help with this but I dunno where to get Ventrillo, is this an online thing or what? I don't have a mic on my computer or anything...though I do have a recorder from my crappy little ilo.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:34 pm

A lot of stuff was pronounced wrong. Like Anno's name, for example. Personally, I could give a crap about that, however, it would lend a great deal of credibility if those things were pronounced correctly.
Awesomely Shitty

Themaninblack
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Themaninblack » Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:39 pm

Sailor Star Dust wrote:Shito was said wrong. Dunno how to explain it, but you're right about what means what though.

And yes, you're right about the original script.

Anyway the commentary was great, I loved it. The only problem is it was kinda scratchy with hearing things. >_<

I'd like to be able to help with this but I dunno where to get Ventrillo, is this an online thing or what? I don't have a mic on my computer or anything...though I do have a recorder from my crappy little ilo.

here http://www.ventrilo.com/download.php download client version SSD
I won.

slothen
First Ancestral Sloth
First Ancestral Sloth

•      
  •      

Postby slothen » Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:45 pm

yeah, before we recorded, we discussed pronunciation ahead of time, but we're bound to mess up here and there.

Anno = ah-no, like Japanese "ano" for "um?"

Shito-> "Shto?"

I'm only in introductory level moonspeak class.

MAL Profile

Return to “Fan Works”