"Hating" endings

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

"Hating" endings

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Wed Oct 27, 2004 6:38 am

This is stemming from a post on an Eva LiveJournal Community.

Essentially, someone posted that they "hated" End of Evangelion, and thought that it went against what Evangelion was.

The question is this, what do you think when someone says that they actually "Hate" The End of Evangelion? I can understand prefering the TV ending, or being dissapointed with the ending, but "hating" it? Both endings get right to the core of what Eva is, and if you "hate" either of these, you might as well just "hate" Evangelion in its entirety.

Thoughts?

LJ Post: http://www.livejournal.com/community/ng ... 36324.html

MAGI
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby MAGI » Wed Oct 27, 2004 6:52 am

They just "hate" it because everyone else loves it so much, generally, I guess. (Group polarization)

Anyway.
I guess they don't really like the ending because they haven't got over the fact that they don't get it. Perhaps they didn't want it to end at all. They liked Evangelion because of the outside wrapping stuff that it had, and when they open it to see what it was all about; they didn't like it, because they misunderstood it from the very beginning. Perhaps it's because they want to show how tough they are.
In the end, it's probably just that they don't get it, or understand the importance of it.

I'd like to know what others think, though. :)
ココにいても、いいの?
Is it okay for me to be here?

the_seventh_child
radio gaga
radio gaga

•      
  •      

Postby the_seventh_child » Wed Oct 27, 2004 7:01 am

Hate End of Evangelion?I don't believe that if you like something you can hate it,even if this is a part of something..then like you EM said you hate the whole thing..
"hate"is not a word that is being used easily..it means that you don't wanna see,hear,read this something you 'hate"..the word that would be more appropriate could be "dislike,or not prefer" End of Evangelion..

and i can see that more people see EoE as a different part of Eva..i never understood why this happen..
Anime and manga unite us all. Much better than the Olympics. - Carl Horn |11.30.2004.
"As of this moment, we are changing from soldiers to pirates!" - Captain Jeffrey Wilder (Macross Frontier #22)

sadsadshinji
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby sadsadshinji » Wed Oct 27, 2004 8:56 am

the ending for EoE is a lot harder to understand and requires a lot more interpretation than the ending for the episodes, which was, in comparison rather clear cut...
that may be why, as he might not be able to understand...
and the allegory was hilarious...

DatDude
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby DatDude » Wed Oct 27, 2004 10:12 am

EoE is a rough movie to watch and even ruogher to understand. I can see how that can make someone dislike a movie. My first time watching EoE I really did understand it as well as I do ( or think i do ) now.

The TV ending for all its strangeness and confusion came off as a happier ending then EoE and that IMHO is why some people like it better, rather then the bloody death of most of the cast in the movie.

In short I can see why some one could " hate " EoE even if i like it a lot.
There was an EVA Nerd here, but now he's gone.

thewayneiac
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby thewayneiac » Wed Oct 27, 2004 12:42 pm

I think the problem is that some people leave the TV. series with notions of what the show is about, and then get upset when some of their theories turn out to be wrong. Instead of rethinking their ideas and saying, "Oh! So that's what they were getting at!", they proceed to denounce EOE for, "changing", the ending of their beloved show.
Rejoice, glory is ours. Our young men have not died in vain. Their graves need no flowers. The tapes have recorded their names.
I am all there is.
Negative! Primative! Limited! I let you live.
But I gave you life.
What else could you do?
To do what was right.
I'm perfect, are you?

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Wed Oct 27, 2004 1:08 pm

thewayneiac wrote:I think the problem is that some people leave the TV. series with notions of what the show is about, and then get upset when some of their theories turn out to be wrong.

Yeah, some people still refuse to acknowledge Gendo's "retribution".

Olin of Xephon
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Olin of Xephon » Wed Oct 27, 2004 1:53 pm

To this day I can't understnad why so many people hate the thins I find so special.
I don't know why people hated Matrix revolutions. It was one of the best Sci-fi movies ever made in America even if it was anime inspired.

I don't know why people all started hating Mettalica because they cut their hair.

I can't understand why people think the Spawn comic "lost it" when it started into a deeper mythology complete with moral struggles, deeper thoughts of the nature oh Hell or heaven on earth, and deeper sense of art.

I don't see how somebody can claim Night Of The Living Dead was the greatest zombie movie of all time and at the same time hate 28 Days Later. A far superior film.

And I WILL NEVER understand how somebody can calim to love the Evangelion series and "hate" End of Eva.

If I had to hazard a guess, It has to do with expectations.
People go in to any of the above expecting "something" if what they get does not mirror their expectations, they rail against it. Screaming it's a "knock off" or they "sold out" or it "lost it's edge."

Even if their expectaions are exceeded they are angry because they just wanted this picture they had in their head, and god help you if you don't give it to them.

Personally, if something merely meets my expectations, I'm, dissapointed.
I want things to surprise me, shock me, scare me, and make me think.
I want things to blow my mind, most people want the mental equivilent of beef jerky.

That is to say something salty to chew on for awhile. They don't want to change their expectations, or think too hard about something.

Upon leaving Matrix revalations I heard somebody behind me say "god, I thought it would have more closoure then that."
That is one of the saddest things I ever heard.

People build boxes. If something comes along and refuses to fit into one of these boxes, like End of Eva, the revile it.
I asked "And where would you take me?"
At this the beast laughed, tears made of my mother's blood leaked from his eyes.
"I will take you to every place you never wanted to be, and you will hate it."
"Then I will take you to every place you've already been, and you will hate that also."
"Last I will take you to the places you have always dreamed of, and that you'll hate worst of all."

coff
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby coff » Wed Oct 27, 2004 2:05 pm

Well this guy is entitled to his opinion I guess. I don't think he really "hates" EoE. He probably just had his own ideas about what it should be, and then was disappointed when it was different.

Dave
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Dave » Wed Oct 27, 2004 4:26 pm

Olin of Xephon wrote:Even if their expectaions are exceeded they are angry because they just wanted this picture they had in their head, and god help you if you don't give it to them.

I think that's your anger talking Olin. I seriously doubt ANYONE would be mad because a movie was better than they thought it would be.
Beatus vir qui suffert tentationem.

Ayanami
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Ayanami » Wed Oct 27, 2004 4:49 pm

Shinji, Rei, Asuka, Gendou are all complex personalities in the series. In EoE they are all one-dimensional, rather pointless figures.

This was something the guy wrote in his entry. I strongly disagree with this, and as a result, I think this dude has a really hard time seeing the obvious.

In my opinion, EoE was made with the mindset that everyone watching was familiar with all that characters and their personalities, and the movie was just like an additional episode (but in movie format). During the movie, everything just comes to the surface, and the most extreme emotions of these characters just come rushing out at you. It's definitely NOT a one-dimensional experience, but pretty much the opposite.

Guy, I respect your opinion and everything, and I don't like to put people down for their beliefs, but... you suck.
Close your eyes and listen hard

Phaze
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Phaze » Wed Oct 27, 2004 5:34 pm

When word of End of Evangelion came out, people were expecting more of what characterized episodes 25 and 26. If you were to watch Air, without watching the rest, it would be hard to even comprehend the original ending to what is shown in Air. Death, destruction, and action, completely devoid of almost any of what you would expect. I'm not surprised some people were dissapointed in what they saw.

I too, was a bit dissapointed directly after having seen Air. Then part 2 began (you can tell I'm avoiding calling it by name, I forgot), and everything that had already happened was put into retrospect, which is why I was able to appreciate the movie.

Those who claim to have hated the ending, simply missed that second step.
Last edited by Phaze on Sat Nov 06, 2004 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!

Dark FireStar
Arael
Arael

•      
  •      

Postby Dark FireStar » Wed Oct 27, 2004 5:37 pm

There are just certain people that hate endings. Like me for example I hate all endings every stinking one. If the ending is a book, movie, game ect. The ending haters and I are just sad to see it end.(sob)
Don't ban me for a limited time! Either ban me for good or let me be. (I only hold grudges for a few years lol)

sadsadshinji
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby sadsadshinji » Wed Oct 27, 2004 10:06 pm

i suppose they didnt like how EoE didnt "fit in" but i still think that he rather dislikes the ambiguity and space for interpretation....

the_seventh_child
radio gaga
radio gaga

•      
  •      

Postby the_seventh_child » Mon Nov 01, 2004 7:45 am

Dark FireStar wrote:There are just certain people that hate endings. Like me for example I hate all endings every stinking one. If the ending is a book, movie, game ect. The ending haters and I are just sad to see it end.(sob)

people that hate endings?this doesn't make sense..
Anime and manga unite us all. Much better than the Olympics. - Carl Horn |11.30.2004.
"As of this moment, we are changing from soldiers to pirates!" - Captain Jeffrey Wilder (Macross Frontier #22)

max3000
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby max3000 » Mon Nov 01, 2004 10:37 am

I, frankly couldn't give a damn if someone hated eoe...

Different people, different opinions.
Last edited by max3000 on Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dark FireStar
Arael
Arael

•      
  •      

Postby Dark FireStar » Mon Nov 01, 2004 3:47 pm

max3000 wrote:Different people, different opinions.

Thats what make you human.
Don't ban me for a limited time! Either ban me for good or let me be. (I only hold grudges for a few years lol)

the_seventh_child
radio gaga
radio gaga

•      
  •      

Postby the_seventh_child » Mon Nov 01, 2004 4:04 pm

Dark FireStar wrote:
max3000 wrote:Different people, different opinions.

Thats what make you human.

i'd prefer the word "personality"..

sadsadshinji
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby sadsadshinji » Mon Nov 01, 2004 7:34 pm

as opposed to opinions?
and that was what caused Shinji to reject instrumentality... he realized that to be human, we could not all be a single entity...that and the fact that he found it somewhat boring...

Dark FireStar
Arael
Arael

•      
  •      

Postby Dark FireStar » Tue Nov 02, 2004 3:13 pm

I guess he is like me!lol. (doesent like big crowds)

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”