Shinji is gay?

Over time, notable threads from ANF will be preserved here for the Benefit of All.

Moderators: Ornette, Monk Ed

Batous Eye [ANF]
Embryo
User avatar
Posts: 14
Joined: Oct 19, 2007

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Batous Eye [ANF] » Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:22 pm

Consider episode 24, where Karou invites Shinji to sleep togethor in the same bed. In the very next scene, they are naked in the shower room and Karou touches Shinji's hand. (The significance for this gesture is SEX, as one can see in the Cross-reference from ep.23 where Misato comes to Shinji in his room and says "This is all I can do for you...". She then touches his hand in the same manner.)

There is a scene that may follow at the very beginning of the next episode. Shinji is next to the lake with Misato at night with the moon gleaning on the waves. He is balling his eyes out and he says "He should have lived! Not me!". and then "I loved him!".

How are we expected to interpret this? Is the implication that Shinji and Karou were homosexual lovers? Do you see any symbolism that would indicate a sexual encounter?

Originally posted on: 20-Mar-2006, 01:11 GMT

LuigiHann [ANF]
Lilith
User avatar
Posts: 128
Joined: Oct 19, 2007

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby LuigiHann [ANF] » Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:22 pm

I don't think they have sex, no. I always interpreted Kaworu's extreme openness and over-friendliness more as a way to contrast him from the extreme closedness and unfriendliness of the other three Children.

Originally posted on: 20-Mar-2006, 01:15 GMT

kt-san [ANF]
Embryo
User avatar
Posts: 2
Joined: Oct 24, 2007

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby kt-san [ANF] » Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:31 pm

I read a thread about this but it wasn't from here I kind of stumbled onto it when I was looking for reviews for the the evangelion movies.......if I can recall I think they stated that he wasn't gay. They also talked about the shinjua and Asuka incident where he you know...........while she was in the hospital.

Originally posted on: 20-Mar-2006, 01:16 GMT

LuigiHann [ANF]
Lilith
User avatar
Posts: 128
Joined: Oct 19, 2007

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby LuigiHann [ANF] » Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:32 pm

Also, I think Shinji was confused, so to speak, about how to react to Kaworu's apparent affection. He even says that Kaworu was the first person to ever say "I love you" to him, and that's the sort of thing that would really mess Shiji up.
Also, I'm reminded of this scene (probably my favorite line in all of Eva):

Ryoji Kaji: So, can I buy you a drink? Cup o' tea?
Shinji Ikari: Kaji, I'm a boy.

Originally posted on: 20-Mar-2006, 01:24 GMT

Magami No ER [ANF]
Lilin
Lilin
User avatar
Posts: 1145
Joined: Oct 19, 2007

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Magami No ER [ANF] » Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:32 pm

^lawl
With the first post, I respond:
1.They're not in the same bed(despite that one possibly doctored image I see all over the place shows)
. Kaworu's on the floor. But, they are rather close (when they turn, they can see each other. Low, cheap futon I guess.)

2. Kaworu's ....special. ^.^

3. Shinji likes melons. Refer to....well, lotsa Asuka related epsiodes, as well as pre-Completation scene (when you see Shinji start smiling when think about...Asuka's breasts. ^^; )
As for yer parallel with the hand meaning sex (well the way they're animated is similar), I think Shinji wanted just someone who was receptive and kind to him, and wheras he knew what Misato was after, this person, Kaworu, who was just like him, yet better then him, did it, he felt a lovingness.(which imo would've been more beliveable if Kaworu had more then 13 minutes of screentime)
'Course, Kaworu loves everyone. ^^
Save for Eva-02(used her body for his purposes) and kittens (BMK.)

Originally posted on: 20-Mar-2006, 01:31 GMT

Hexon.Arq [ANF]
Lilith
User avatar
Posts: 138
Joined: Oct 19, 2007

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Hexon.Arq [ANF] » Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:32 pm

Everyone is a little bit gay.

Originally posted on: 20-Mar-2006, 01:35 GMT

kt-san [ANF]
Embryo
User avatar
Posts: 2
Joined: Oct 24, 2007

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby kt-san [ANF] » Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:32 pm

Hexon.Arq wrote:Everyone is a little bit gay.


I hope you mean happy! Image

Originally posted on: 20-Mar-2006, 01:36 GMT

PronsAmuro [ANF]
Adam
User avatar
Posts: 65
Joined: Oct 19, 2007

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby PronsAmuro [ANF] » Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:32 pm

Shinji is as queer as a two dollar bill

Originally posted on: 20-Mar-2006, 01:43 GMT

GreatNekoKoneko [ANF]
Embryo
User avatar
Posts: 13
Joined: Oct 19, 2007

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby GreatNekoKoneko [ANF] » Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:33 pm

no he's not. he's just bi. and happens to prefer guys. for now.

Originally posted on: 20-Mar-2006, 01:44 GMT

MagicianCamille [ANF]
Sachiel
User avatar
Posts: 234
Joined: Oct 19, 2007

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby MagicianCamille [ANF] » Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:33 pm

Shinji is BI, but it doesn't change his position during sex.

Receiving.

Originally posted on: 20-Mar-2006, 02:25 GMT

Seele08 [ANF]
Matarael
Matarael
User avatar
Posts: 568
Joined: Oct 19, 2007

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Seele08 [ANF] » Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:33 pm

PronsAmuro wrote:Shinji is as queer as a two dollar bill


No he's as straight as a dog's hind leg. Image

Originally posted on: 20-Mar-2006, 02:49 GMT

Midoriko87 [ANF]
Embryo
Posts: 2
Joined: Oct 24, 2007

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Midoriko87 [ANF] » Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:37 pm

kt-san wrote:I hope you mean happy! Image


No, he means homosexual.

All men are homosexual, some turn straight. It must be very odd to be a straight man because your sexuality is hopelessly defensive. It's like an ideal of racial purity.
Derek Jarman. Image Ain't that the Truth.

No seriously, I'm not sure Shinji needs a title. Shinji didn't just say to himself, "I like girls, and I like boys. Now, which do I like more?" It's a non-conscious, uncontollable type of thing.

There is no such thing as a homosexual or a heterosexual person. There are only **** -- or heterosexual acts. Most people are a mixture of impulses if not practices. Gore Vidal.

Originally posted on: 20-Mar-2006, 02:51 GMT

MagicianCamille [ANF]
Sachiel
User avatar
Posts: 234
Joined: Oct 19, 2007

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby MagicianCamille [ANF] » Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:37 pm

Nah. If you don't find members of your own sex generally sexually attractive(I can name a few women I think are DOGS, and therefore I'm not attracted) you are a heterosexual. People just try to complicate things by saying everybody is at least a little bit gay. But they're wrong. Image

Shinji was hot for Kaworu's piece, so he's gay.

Camille has spoken.

Originally posted on: 20-Mar-2006, 02:58 GMT

Midoriko87 [ANF]
Embryo
Posts: 2
Joined: Oct 24, 2007

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Midoriko87 [ANF] » Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:37 pm

Derek Jarman has spoken Camille. His wisdom is infinite, so there's no denying the Truth of the matter. So, you can either accept it as a Fact of Nature or you can continue to hide behind your Shield of Lies. Break away from your conventions. If not for Me, If not for Yourself, then, at least, do it for Derek Jarman.

Of course, none of this applies to myself. So... whatever.

Originally posted on: 20-Mar-2006, 03:20 GMT

Leader Desslock [ANF]
Adam
User avatar
Posts: 60
Joined: Oct 19, 2007

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Leader Desslock [ANF] » Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:37 pm

Derek Jarman doesn't have "The content of this post is fact. If you disagree, you are wrong." in his sig, therefore I have to agree with Magician Camille. Besides... 'Jarman'? What kind of superhero name is that? He has the superhuman ability to... what? Open really difficult jar lids? The guy's obviously lame.

As for Shinji? If lameness is measured on a spectrum, with Derek Jarman at the red end and Chuck Norris at the blue end, Shinji's somewhere in the infrared, or possibly radio EM bands. But I don't think he's gay; he merely redefines the word 'lame'.

Originally posted on: 20-Mar-2006, 03:37 GMT

Samurai Drifter [ANF]
Embryo
Posts: 21
Joined: Oct 19, 2007

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Samurai Drifter [ANF] » Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:37 pm

I think the... how shall we say... "incident" with Asuka at the begininng of EoE shows that he's not gay.

As for the whole Kaworu thing, I think that was less of a sexual love and more of a "I'm a lonely little emo kid, be sympathetic for me".

Originally posted on: 20-Mar-2006, 03:43 GMT

CrossboneGundam [ANF]
Embryo
User avatar
Posts: 12
Joined: Oct 19, 2007

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby CrossboneGundam [ANF] » Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:38 pm

Whether or not Shinji's gay, the fact remains that Kaworu's got really bad taste in males.

Originally posted on: 20-Mar-2006, 03:45 GMT

LuigiHann [ANF]
Lilith
User avatar
Posts: 128
Joined: Oct 19, 2007

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby LuigiHann [ANF] » Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:38 pm

Maybe Kaworu's actually straight, and he finds Shinji attractive because Shinji's such a freakin' girl?

Originally posted on: 20-Mar-2006, 04:11 GMT

The Eva Monkey [ANF]
Lilith
User avatar
Posts: 128
Joined: Oct 19, 2007

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby The Eva Monkey [ANF] » Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:38 pm

Hexon.Arq wrote:Everyone is a little bit gay.
Some more than others. Image

Originally posted on: 20-Mar-2006, 05:47 GMT

Mr. Tines [ANF]
Bardiel
Bardiel
User avatar
Posts: 787
Joined: Oct 19, 2007

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Mr. Tines [ANF] » Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:38 pm

Another long thread on the topic (probably the one that kt-san mentioned); though that was long before the idea that Kaworu, avatar of Adam, might not be what a superficial glance would suggest.

http://www.animenation.net/forums/s...ad.php?t=160489

CrossboneGundam wrote:Whether or not Shinji's gay, the fact remains that Kaworu's got really bad taste in males.


Quoted for great justice.

@Magami
Not only Asuka's superstructure - the Hakone reservoir 2003 flashback has him grabbing for the goodies too.

However the juxtaposition in Instrumentality of "What do you wish for?" and the background image labelled as "a woman's chest" in the storyboards is also accompanied by the Shinjiquarium, and that places a whole new spin on that wish. Image

Originally posted on: 20-Mar-2006, 06:28 GMT


Return to “AnimeNation Archive”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests