Non-Eva Anime and Manga discussion

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

oOoOoOo
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby oOoOoOo » Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:18 am

You're supposed to watch the film in the middle of the series. It's just really like a long episode. I found it satisfying to watch it that way. You are supposed to watch it between episodes 22 and 23 if you're interested in being chronological. ^_^
~ O-chan is soooo 2D right now.

Eva 02
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Eva 02 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:55 pm

I remember waiting for that movie to come out. I had already seen the show 4 or so times through and it was a battle royal to finally get it released in america. if it were a two-parter episode in the show It'd definitely be in my top 4 fav eps of anything.

I also remember this from back in '04. I had to go back to one of my old Anime forums (RIP, Tamarasanime.com) and grab this, I don't think the original webpage I got it from exists anymore:

TvToMe.com wrote:
May 18, 2004
New Bebop On Cartoon Network In Talks

This is big news, straight out of Japan.
As of this morning, CN Manager Mike Lazzo is in talks with Mr. Hajime about bringing Bebop back in full production!!! No joke here ladies and gents. With Family Guy being renewed, and Futurama looking to follow behind it, the network has pitched out an idea for at least a second season of the show. A working title at the moment is being referred to as "The Lost Logs" with no real insight as to what they fully intends. At a glance, it would suggest looking back on old stories, probably between the time they found and lost Ed. Nothing has been official yet, just in talks at the moment. But it's a sign that the future of bebop may not be so dead.
Mikoroshi Tou Kara Zutto

BeoX2
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby BeoX2 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:45 pm

View Original PostEva 02 wrote:I remember waiting for that movie to come out. I had already seen the show 4 or so times through and it was a battle royal to finally get it released in america. if it were a two-parter episode in the show It'd definitely be in my top 4 fav eps of anything.

I also remember this from back in '04. I had to go back to one of my old Anime forums (RIP, Tamarasanime.com) and grab this, I don't think the original webpage I got it from exists anymore:

Oh no no no no no. No continuation for Bebop, or OVA's, or whatever. Don't fix what isn't broke. The fact that a live action one is even coming out soon disturbs (and excites) me.

Besides, that was 6 years ago. Nothing is gonna happen with that.
"Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with his experience."

Eva 02
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Eva 02 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:08 pm

its not happening, unless Anno is very successful in Rebuild and thus inspires the anime legends to necromancy. But I remember when I first read that, I said the same thing. Leaving things the way they are is what keeps the anime strong over the years - if you must do a backstory, turn it into manga (though the 3 volumes of crappy-ness were virtually useless)
Mikoroshi Tou Kara Zutto

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:40 pm

That's a pretty interesting snippet. Hajime Yatate isn't even a real person, that name gets attached to pretty much everything Sunrise has done (as Original Creator/Original Concept/Planning). While I'm sure, in 2004, Sunrise wouldn't of have minded doing more Bebop (and that CN wanted them to do more, Sunrise did produce Big O whose second season aired on CN a year before), they've got quite a large library that they could dip from that would be guarantee profit, like Gundam. Also, at that point, Watanabe had already moved on working on Champloo, so it might not have been possible to have him direct.

Merridian
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Merridian » Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:09 am

continued tangent from around here

View Original PostShinji wrote:But that's not the main plot of the story is it? Spike isn't looking for Julia constantly throughout the series. Well, maybe he is but he certainly does a lot of other stuff too. The main plot of Cowboy Bebop is the misadventures of all 4 bounty hunters on the ship Bebop and each episode usually has its own small storyline that ends with the end of the episode or a second episode.
I guess you're right in that you wouldn't watch Bebop solely for the story of Spike & the Syndicate, but to me the story was more about the lives of the crew members onboard the Bebop. Spike's history takes center stage toward the end, but otherwise each character's backstory is pretty well developed in between otherwise IMO flawlessly executed episodic adventures and misadventures. To say that the overarching plot is limited to a handful of episodes dealing with Spike is to ignore everything else Bebop presents the audience with; namely that this plot is only one of many in the series. The themes of belonging & camaraderie and of one's capacity for trust are pretty integral to the show, and they manifest themselves in each of the cast's plot threads that pop up in almost every episode. Spike is just one part of this whole, which is why I think it's kinda silly to say that Bebop is little more than Spike's flashbacks and the last two or three episodes.

Those last two episodes (especially ep 24, for that matter) wouldn't have had nearly the impact that they do if it weren't for all of the foundation laid over the course of the series.

View Original PostOz wrote:Ever heard of the term slice of life? That's what Bebop is essentially. That doesn't mean the "plot isn't important" - it's as important as in any other series, it just lacks the conventional storytelling structures (excluding the finale).
I'd call it character-driven. Slice of life implies plot-less-ness, and Bebop definitely has a plot, it's just rooted in the development of the characters. Slice of life is 100% episodic and without much need to thoroughly develop or explore the characters, but Bebop dives into its characters pretty deeply. It's somewhat of a tough distinction since it still tosses typical narrative structuring out the window, but a slice-of-life series is more like K-On or Seinfeld.

master_lloyd
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby master_lloyd » Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:19 pm

For me Cowboy Bebop is the ultimate anime, it transcends the media in which it's delivered, there are times where I even forget it's animated. I love it so much I've actually limited myself to only watching it rarely, so it never gets boring for me. I've watched the whole series 3 times.
Neon Genesis Evangelion (from the Greek Ευανγελιον, meaning "Gigantic robots piloted by mentally ill children")
Eva Facts:
-Gendo's final silenced line to Ritsuko was "I'm going to shoot you now."
-Nagisa Kaworu kills a kitten every time you masturbate.
-Kaji's first and last name was Kaji

evaunit13
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby evaunit13 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:16 pm

i figured that i'd watch it, ~10 years after seeing the preview at the end of the first volume of gundam wing on vhs. friend lent me his copy of the perfect sessions and the movie, and it's really nice. only halfway through and plan to finish soon.
i want rebuild

liquidus118
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby liquidus118 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:45 pm

I'm sure I'm going to get some hate for this, but...
What is it that's so good about Cowboy Bebop?

I watched it quite recently and - whilst I did find the episodes generally enjoyable and the characters quite interesting - I was quite underwhelmed.
Most of the episodes felt entirely inter-changable, and I'm tempted to say that there wasn't any character development until the last few episodes.

Not that the characters weren't good, mind. I just felt that everyone remained the same - to the point that it seemed silly at times - until the last few episodes where they started to suddenly begin developing more.

I think I just didn't like how it felt that there wasn't an over-arching story tying the episodes together (I know about the whole Vicious and Julia thing, but that just felt like it was picked up and dropped whenever the writers felt like it, and most episodes had nothing to do with that anyway).

Considering all the praise it gets I'm hoping that I'm just being blind and ignorant, and someone here will change my perspective and show me that it really is awesome, but am feeling a bit doubtful.

Edit: Nevermind, it seems a post indirectly adressing people of my opinion has recently been posted:

I guess you're right in that you wouldn't watch Bebop solely for the story of Spike & the Syndicate, but to me the story was more about the lives of the crew members onboard the Bebop. Spike's history takes center stage toward the end, but otherwise each character's backstory is pretty well developed in between otherwise IMO flawlessly executed episodic adventures and misadventures. To say that the overarching plot is limited to a handful of episodes dealing with Spike is to ignore everything else Bebop presents the audience with; namely that this plot is only one of many in the series. The themes of belonging & camaraderie and of one's capacity for trust are pretty integral to the show, and they manifest themselves in each of the cast's plot threads that pop up in almost every episode. Spike is just one part of this whole, which is why I think it's kinda silly to say that Bebop is little more than Spike's flashbacks and the last two or three episodes.

Going off of this as a general response, since it's pretty much what I would write in response if I were someone else:
Fair enough. I guess I just don't like shows where most of the episodes are pretty much individual stories and others do. Now it feels kind of pointless to have made a post in this thread. Aw well.

esselfortium
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby esselfortium » Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:56 pm

Eh. If you don't like it, you don't like it. Not much that yelling at you about it would do to change that ;)

Personally I'd consider it one of the greatest things since sliced bread, mainly because of the atmosphere it sets. I love the desolate, expansive space setting of it, and the ways the music adds to it rarely fails to amaze me. The largely episodic nature doesn't bother me at all, but I can understand that it's not everyone's cup of tea.

I guess the characters didn't change a lot over the course of the series (though it's been years since I've given it a full 26-episode viewing, so I might be forgetting some subtle development moments), but it instead focused on letting us find out gradually more about the pasts that shaped them and made them who they were. I liked the way it was tied in with their eventual confrontations of their pasts, mainly in the final few episodes.

liquidus118
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby liquidus118 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:05 pm

View Original Postesselfortium wrote:Eh. If you don't like it, you don't like it. Not much that yelling at you about it would do to change that ;)

Personally I'd consider it one of the greatest things since sliced bread, mainly because of the atmosphere it sets. I love the desolate, expansive space setting of it, and the ways the music adds to it rarely fails to amaze me. The largely episodic nature doesn't bother me at all, but I can understand that it's not everyone's cup of tea.

I guess the characters didn't change a lot over the course of the series (though it's been years since I've given it a full 26-episode viewing, so I might be forgetting some subtle development moments), but it instead focused on letting us find out gradually more about the pasts that shaped them and made them who they were. I liked the way it was tied in with their eventual confrontations of their pasts, mainly in the final few episodes.

Well, looks I'll have to agree to disagree with Bebop fans (Yes, basing my view of Bebop fans on 2 posts from a non-Bebop forum is a very thorough sample).
I can see why they like it, and it looks like people can see why I don't.

Oh actually whilst we're on the topic: What was people's view on the movie? I personally thought that it really was sub-standard. It got incredibly dull at the mid-point in my opinion and we didn't really get to understand Vincent enough for the climax to carry as much weight as it really should have. Though as with the show itself the important action scenes were excellent and Spike is a very good character.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:15 pm

View Original PostoOoOoOo wrote:You're supposed to watch the film in the middle of the series. It's just really like a long episode. I found it satisfying to watch it that way. You are supposed to watch it between episodes 22 and 23 if you're interested in being chronological. ^_^

I personally think it fits in better if seen as happening between 18 and 19, as the damage the Swordfish suffers near the end of the movie nicely explains the need to take it in for a mechanical overhaul.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

evaunit13
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby evaunit13 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:46 pm

View Original PostNemZ wrote:I personally think it fits in better if seen as happening between 18 and 19, as the damage the Swordfish suffers near the end of the movie nicely explains the need to take it in for a mechanical overhaul.

does make sense, one tiny detail that makes sure that it takes place after 22 is the small cameo that andy has in the parade, but other than that, it makes sense.

i really want to get the cd boxed set (4 discs + mini disc) soundtrack, but the most tempting prices on ebay/half are outrageously low, around $20-30, leading me to believe that theyre actually bootlegs. can anyone confirm this and direct me to a place to get them for a (fairly) reasonable price?
i want rebuild

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:06 pm

View Original Postevaunit13 wrote:i really want to get the cd boxed set (4 discs + mini disc) soundtrack, but the most tempting prices on ebay/half are outrageously low, around $20-30, leading me to believe that theyre actually bootlegs. can anyone confirm this and direct me to a place to get them for a (fairly) reasonable price?

The 4 disc + mini disc has been out of print since the early 2000s. I got a copy when it was still manufactured and it was well above $20-$30. Those have got to be bootlegs.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:36 pm

View Original Postevaunit13 wrote:cameo that andy has in the parade

cowboy/samurai andy? Where?
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

evaunit13
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby evaunit13 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:56 am

would you still think that it's worth getting? apparently bootleg audio cd's are more likely to be better quality than bootleg dvd's, and even if they're not great, at ~$25 it's not a huge loss
View Original PostNemZ wrote:cowboy/samurai andy? Where?

in the scene where they're showing the various people in the parade in the streets, you can see andy for a few seconds in the background.

at 1:41 into the movie
i want rebuild

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:39 am

View Original Postevaunit13 wrote:would you still think that it's worth getting? apparently bootleg audio cd's are more likely to be better quality than bootleg dvd's, and even if they're not great, at ~$25 it's not a huge loss

Don't encourage the people who make a profit off piracy; they have no soul. If you're gonna be a pirate, download the lossless somewhere.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

drinian
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby drinian » Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:34 pm

The Onion AV Club just started doing weekly episode reviews of Cowboy Bebop. The author is revisiting the show for the first time in a few years. Good reading so far.

http://www.avclub.com/articles/asteroid-blues,56907/
[Became an administrator on July 1st, 2006.]

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:59 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:Don't encourage the people who make a profit off piracy; they have no soul. If you're gonna be a pirate, download the lossless somewhere.
agreed, this is the internet age, and high-speed/broadband is not difficult to get a hold of nor terribly expensive as it was 10 years ago

I have downloaded a TON of OOP stuff, books, music, movies, old TV shows/specials (I'm looking at you, Unsolved Mysteries, one of the greatest TV shows of all time IMO, it's the unholy union of The Twilight Zone meets America's Most Wanted, greatness), etc., sometimes it is the only way to obtain usable copies of things
- TEH Fabulous Hal E. Burton 9000

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

EvangelionFan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby EvangelionFan » Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:30 pm

So, a great bit of news just came out.

The Cowboy Bebop TV series will be recieving a Blu-Ray boxset in Japan on or around December 21. As you can expect from Japanese BD prices, it will not be cheap to import. For those who are willing to fork out for the limited editions, there will be a novel written for the boxset by script writer Keiko Nobumoto and a picture drama called 'Ein's Summer Vacation'.
Voluntary Illusion.

Return to “Anime and Manga”