Eva's Cockpits

Over time, notable threads from ANF will be preserved here for the Benefit of All.

Moderators: Ornette, Monk Ed

Seele08 [ANF]
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Seele08 [ANF] » Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:13 pm

Hey I don't give a flying crap about the plugs as long as no one suggests they are made out of fruit or something outlandish. I think that the guys plugs were just made that way to avoid having to draw....Shinji's "toothpick" and balls.

Originally posted on: 02-Feb-2006, 08:43 GMT

Treize X [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Treize X [ANF] » Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:13 pm

I just realized something. There isn't an explanation at the moment aside from what's been posted for what the equipment's for, but I think I've figured out why Shinji only has certain stuff in his plug and vice versa and crap.

They use the same plugs, regardless of EVAs, perhaps? I don't recall ever seeing a pilot's plug being loaded into another's EVA, so I can't be sure.

Originally posted on: 02-Feb-2006, 08:58 GMT

HeWhoPostsStuff [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby HeWhoPostsStuff [ANF] » Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:13 pm

Treize X wrote:They use the same plugs, regardless of EVAs, perhaps? I don't recall ever seeing a pilot's plug being loaded into another's EVA, so I can't be sure.

I actually thought about that too, but as you say, offhand I'm unaware of anything in the series that can prove or disprove that. It's at least a possibility though.

Originally posted on: 01-Feb-2006, 21:03 GMT

OMF [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby OMF [ANF] » Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:13 pm

They don't use the same plugs. In episode #14, both Shinji and Rei comment that the other's plug "smells" like its primary occupant.

Originally posted on: 01-Feb-2006, 21:06 GMT

Mr. Tines [ANF]
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines [ANF] » Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:13 pm

OMF wrote:They don't use the same plugs. In episode #14, both Shinji and Rei comment that the other's plug "smells" like its primary occupant.

Is that the plug, or its context, though? - something imprinted in the LCL at low synch ratios that leads in a continuous evolution to the whole pilot being thus imprinted at 400+% synch.

Originally posted on: 01-Feb-2006, 21:25 GMT

OMF [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

In support of the above explanation that Shinji might have a compulsion about seatbelts, consider the following.

There's ample evidence to suggest that Misato, the motor fan with a modified hotrod, drives like a lunatic. But what about when it comes to road safety? I would say that Misato is rather negligent when it comes to her seatbelt usage, and is likely "remined" by Shinji to buckle up.

In their first encounter, Misato is beltless on thier first meeting. Later we see her buckled up, but as soon as they are in the traincar she is once again unbuckled.
Again in episode #12, we see Misato driving with Shinji, and the pair buckled up.
But later on in episode #23, we see Misato driving alone to HQ, she is once again beltless.

Perhaps Shinji feels strongly enough on the subject to be able to mention it to the more lax Misato. Or perhaps simply his buckling is enough to remind her. In either case, it's clear that the complusion to wear the seatbelt comes from Shinji, not Misato. The seatbelt as a symbol of his insecurity?

My current copys of episodes #20 and #24' leave much to be desired. Can anyone tell if Misato is wearing a seatbelt in the car with Ritsuko or Hyuuga in these episodes?

Mr. Tines wrote:Is that the plug, or its context, though? - something imprinted in the LCL at low synch ratios that leads in a continuous evolution to the whole pilot being thus imprinted at 400+% synch.

I would say the plugs have been switched. Not only is the LCL washed out after each usage, if there was an imprint, the odor of the current pilot would quickly dominate the plug here. I would say that trapped odors in the materials of the plug are causing the smell, and that the plugs are not moved from Eva to Eva.

The only remaining mystery here is how the pilots know what the other smells like?!

Originally posted on: 01-Feb-2006, 21:35 GMT

Mr. Tines [ANF]
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines [ANF] » Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:13 pm

OMF wrote:The only remaining mystery here is how the pilots know what the other smells like?!

That's why I feel that it's more plausible to assume a psychic spoor of some sort, perhaps one that engages first with various bits of hind-brain, than a literal physical scent.

Originally posted on: 01-Feb-2006, 21:40 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:13 pm

OMF wrote:Going by the most obvious difference, it could be that Shinji's sex somehow requires certain ajustments to the cockpit in some way.

Image"Uh, huh huh huh, you said--"

Sorry. Image

Also my deepest apologies for this.

Originally posted on: 01-Feb-2006, 21:43 GMT

Z Metalla [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Z Metalla [ANF] » Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:13 pm

That comic never ceases to crack me up no matter how many times I see it. Image

Originally posted on: 01-Feb-2006, 23:10 GMT

The Eva Monkey [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey [ANF] » Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:13 pm

If you compare this shot from Episode 22, you'll see Rei with a "seatbelt".

And if you compare it with this shot from episode 16, you'll see that Rei is wearing the very same "seatbelt" that Shinji ordinarily wears.

Why? Who knows?

As for the visor that Shinji uses in episode 6, and both Asuka and Rei use in episode 22, judging from the diagrams found in the NewType 100% book, it is a standard component of the plug. Which makes me curious. Though Asuka and Rei both uses positron rifles to snipe Arael, only Rei uses the "seatbelt". Which makes me question whether or not this supposed "seatbelt" has anything to do with the actual process of long distance firing.

There are some diagrams and notes about the plug and possibly the "seatbelt" in the NewType 100% book. Shame I can't read Nihongo very well.

Originally posted on: 01-Feb-2006, 23:44 GMT

Fuzzy Chickens [ANF]
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Fuzzy Chickens [ANF] » Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:13 pm

Colossus wrote:I usually like to think that Shinji is "The Chosen One" that is why he has sometimes abnormal readings in the Eva.Even more so than Rei at times.

And that has jack-what-all to do with metallic seatbelts...?

HeWhoPostsStuff wrote:I might as well pop in and add my usual "continuity error" suggestion. Image

Hey! That's the Eva Monkey's job!

Reichu wrote:Reichu proposes that Kaworu be officially referred to as "ve" until the Apocalypse arrives.

The Chickens officially reject that proposal.

HeWhoPostsStuff wrote:thanks for your noble efforts to bail me out, o fluffy one

HEY! That title is reserved for ME!

Reichu wrote:Isn't it hard to talk if your mouth has been shot up with novocaine

No, it just made half of my tongue feel all swollen and stuff.

Reichu wrote:The so-called "clips" are held in place by the... whatever you'd call it that wraps around the back of the head and is hidden beneath the hair.

You mean the CLIP?

Reichu wrote:(2) The plugsuit plays some function in synchronization. Not sure how exactly that works yet. Still researching.

It "interferes" according to Ritsuko (not that she's a perfectly reliable source of information).

Reichu wrote:(3) The LCL itself, when electrified

The word is "electrolyzed".

OMF wrote:Interesting. Several thought come to mind.

Going by the most obvious difference, it could be that Shinji's sex somehow requires certain ajustments to the cockpit in some way. By the Reichu interpretation of the Evas being female, perhaps extra neurological engineering is required to "accommidate" Shinji's interface. This doesn't seem very likely.

I would then have said "service", but something else has come to mind.

It would appear to be the case that the cockpit configuration is adjustable. Not only do we see the same plugs in different configurations in episode #14, "It smells like Ikari-kun", we also see that Rei's plug is in this "seatbelt" mode in episode #22.

The first time Shinji is placed into the entry plug, and for every outing thereafter, this seatbelt mode is also in place.

It would seem likely that this "seatbelt" mode is for added stability, hence its use both in Rei's firing of the particle cannon and of course in Shinji's very first outing in the plug. So why does Shinji have it permanantly on?

Consider this. The ever insecure, meticulous, obedient Shinji always wears his seatbelt while piloting his Evangelion. A simple matter of protocol? Then why would the others go without?

It would seem that pilot synchronisation is a tricky business, and it's likely that pilot comfort is a factor. The haughty Asuka would likely feel better without a seatbelt, and thus goes without. Perhaps the same goes for Rei. Shinji on the other hand, probably wouldn't either feel right or safe without his seatbelt securing him. The pilot's mental state is a consideration for synchronisation. Why else have one in the dummy bodies?

There is another possible thematic reason for this, apart from Shinji's insecurity. Of all the pilots, he is the most "restrained" within the Eva. This could be another subtle indication of how Shinji has in a sense become bound to the role of an Eva Pilot. A thralldom requireing coercion, rather than a role accepted more freely in the cases of Asuka and Rei.

OMG TAHT MAKES TEH SENSE!!!!!!11one11eleven!!!

OMF wrote:They don't use the same plugs. In episode #14, both Shinji and Rei comment that the other's plug "smells" like its primary occupant.

Kinky.

Mr. Tines wrote:Is that the plug, or its context, though? - something imprinted in the LCL at low synch ratios that leads in a continuous evolution to the whole pilot being thus imprinted at 400+% synch.

Uuuuuuuhhhh... what? I think I like OMF's explanation better.

OMF wrote:In their first encounter, Misato is beltless on thier first meeting. Later we see her buckled up, but as soon as they are in the traincar she is once again unbuckled.

It's called an animation error. Stop looking for some deeper significance to it.

Mr. Tines wrote:That's why I feel that it's more plausible to assume a psychic spoor of some sort, perhaps one that engages first with various bits of hind-brain, than a literal physical scent.

I prefer teh m4d s3xx0rz explanation.

Originally posted on: 02-Feb-2006, 20:04 GMT

OMF [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Fuzzy Chickens wrote:It's called an animation error. Stop looking for some deeper significance to it.

I would have said that originally, but Misato's wild driving gives cause for thought. Who is the one that puts on the seatbelt first? She only ever seems to wear a seatbelt when Shinji is in the car.

Originally posted on: 02-Feb-2006, 09:21 GMT

Seele08 [ANF]
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Seele08 [ANF] » Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:13 pm

The Chickens officially reject that proposal.

And the Keel fangirl second's the Chicken's movement. However its better than calling Kaworu a "she".....

I think the lap belt deal is related to the weapons system being used. Shinji's seems to use it as the knife grip in episode 3 as he fights Samshel. (poor Samshel, she only wanted to play jump-rope.)

Originally posted on: 02-Feb-2006, 09:27 GMT

OMF [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby OMF [ANF] » Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:14 pm

The Eva Monkey wrote:As for the visor that Shinji uses in episode 6, and both Asuka and Rei use in episode 22, judging from the diagrams found in the NewType 100% book, it is a standard component of the plug. Which makes me curious. Though Asuka and Rei both uses positron rifles to snipe Arael, only Rei uses the "seatbelt". Which makes me question whether or not this supposed "seatbelt" has anything to do with the actual process of long distance firing.

Rei is firing the same weapon in episode #22 that Shinji fired in episode #06, namely the SSDF's positron cannon. Perhaps the seatbelt is simply part of the long distance firing protocol, both to stablise the pilot for firing and to brace the pilot for the recoil of this enormous weapon.

Originally posted on: 02-Feb-2006, 09:44 GMT

AsukaxSohryux [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby AsukaxSohryux [ANF] » Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:14 pm

Since the SSDF's rifle is larger, maybe it takes a better computer system to use it, hence the extra accesories in the cockpit.

Originally posted on: 02-Feb-2006, 16:20 GMT

Fuzzy Chickens [ANF]
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Fuzzy Chickens [ANF] » Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:14 pm

You all realize how completely insane this discussion is, right? I mean, will this really lead to a fuller understanding of the show? Or are we like Trekkies arguing over how Warp Drive would work in real life?

Originally posted on: 02-Feb-2006, 17:43 GMT

AsukaxSohryux [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Insane, nah its called a forum, we talk about things like this. Curious to find if this "seatbelt" thing is for a reason or another blooper.

Originally posted on: 02-Feb-2006, 17:50 GMT

Fuzzy Chickens [ANF]
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Fuzzy Chickens [ANF] » Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:14 pm

Oh, come on. You KNOW there was m4d s3xx0rs between Rei and Shinji.

Originally posted on: 02-Feb-2006, 17:57 GMT

AsukaxSohryux [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

HAHA, Image

Originally posted on: 02-Feb-2006, 18:01 GMT

OMF [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby OMF [ANF] » Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:14 pm

Only the hand of Mod can save this once noble thread.

Originally posted on: 02-Feb-2006, 18:48 GMT

Return to “AnimeNation Archive”