Human Instrumentality = Mass Nirvana?

Notable old Evangelion threads from the AnimeNation Forums are preserved here.

Moderators: Monk Ed, Ornette

CapsuleCorpJX [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby CapsuleCorpJX [ANF] » Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:47 am

Doesn't it appear that way? There is your Buddhist (maybe Hindu) religious theme there.

After all, after complementation, everyone has no desires, and are content for all eternity. There is no pain or sorrow.

Or maybe I'm not understanding the idea of nirvana.

But if I'm right, then the Seele council is a group of radical Buddhists (who whoulda thought buddhist would end the world?)

Originally posted on: 16-Sep-2003, 19:02 GMT

tv33 [ANF]
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby tv33 [ANF] » Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:47 am

Almost all religions have an idea of paradise. I dont see any reason to conect Instrumentality to Buddhism, especially when there are so many connections to Christanity.

Originally posted on: 16-Sep-2003, 19:42 GMT

Dr. Nick [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick [ANF] » Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:47 am

CapsuleCorpJX wrote:But if I'm right, then the Seele council is a group of radical Buddhists (who whoulda thought buddhist would end the world?)

I don't think radical buddhists would (over)use judeo-christian symbols the way SEELE does. In my opinion SEELE is just a group of rich, powerful and messed up corporate CEOs who accidentally found a way to turn humanity into jolly hive-mind (didn't they originally plan just kill everybody?).

When Keel was a child he probably had an evil nanny who dropped him on his head one too many times, and thus made him believe that humanity is trash and needs to be killed / evolved. Maybe that's why his lower body is paralyzed (though I do have an another humorous theory about the reasons of that).

Originally posted on: 16-Sep-2003, 19:53 GMT

otakumau [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby otakumau [ANF] » Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:47 am

I guess it´s more related to Gnostism (spelling?).

Originally posted on: 17-Sep-2003, 08:10 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:47 am

Dr. Nick wrote:Maybe that's why his lower body is paralyzed (though I do have an another humorous theory about the reasons of that).

Actually, I think one theatrical program or another implies that Keel's entire body from the neck down is artificial. (Either that or I misread something. I'm too lazy to trek over the EvaOtaku's page right now. Image) Methinks he had some bad accident or another between his episode 21 incarnation and the robed cultist version. Still, I like your theories -- let's hear it!

Originally posted on: 16-Sep-2003, 21:52 GMT

Crazy Penguin [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Crazy Penguin [ANF] » Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:47 am

It was all a huge Irn Bru promotion.

Originally posted on: 16-Sep-2003, 21:54 GMT

saiyajin prince [ANF]
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby saiyajin prince [ANF] » Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:47 am

Reichu wrote:Actually, I think one theatrical program or another implies that Keel's entire body from the neck down is artificial. (Either that or I misread something. I'm too lazy to trek over the EvaOtaku's page right now. Image) Methinks he had some bad accident or another between his episode 21 incarnation and the robed cultist version. Still, I like your theories -- let's hear it!

That maybe why they wanyed Instrumentality...

You see it when she turned into LCL.....all the artificial things...

Originally posted on: 16-Sep-2003, 23:38 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:47 am

saiyajin prince wrote:You see it when she turned into LCL.....all the artificial things...

Either that's a very amusing/disturbing typo, or there's something about Keel Lorenz that I don't know... Image

You can see all of Herr Lorenz's artificial parts very well in "Groundwork of Evangelion the Movie 2". I've wondered how all that stuff fit underneath his cultist uniform to begin with; it's kind of disturbing in that icky "KANEDAaaaa! MY BODY WON'T LISTEN!!" way. But, hey, whatever works for German cybernetic (and potentially homosexual) geezers...

Originally posted on: 17-Sep-2003, 01:24 GMT

Dr. Nick [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick [ANF] » Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:47 am

Reichu wrote:let's hear it!

Since you asked... :blush:

It was actually just a one stupid thought that led to another: There was this discussion about what really happened during the Second Impact, and I started to wonder how in the name of Jebus they got Adam back from Antarctica afterwards. Think about it, he was shrinked into a true pocket monster and ended up on the bottom of a gigantic explosion crater filled with water and LCL and whatnot. SEELE must have had hard time finding him!

And almost instantly I got this vision: The old cultist-dudes have rented a fishing boat, and Keel, being the youngest and greenest of the members, must do the diving...

*Keel tries to climb back to the boat*
Keel: "I don't want to! The water is too cold! And it smells like blood!"
older SEELE member: "Whining, whining, always whining. Pick yourself up and show us that you're not just a useless brat!"
*he kicks Keel over the railing*
*SPLASH!*
Keel: "Aaargh! I'm freezing! I can't feel my legs!!!"
*older SEELE member throws him with an empty beer can, and Keel has to dive*
older SEELE member: "What a wuss."
*other members nod agreeingly*

(But of course in the end Keel finds Adam, and after that he quickly becomes the leader of the whole bunch, because with his new mechanical legs he can kick other member's asses so badly that no-one dares to oppose him. An inspiring story about willpower and determination, don't you think?)

Originally posted on: 17-Sep-2003, 07:36 GMT

saiyajin prince [ANF]
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby saiyajin prince [ANF] » Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:47 am

Reichu wrote:Either that's a very amusing/disturbing typo, or there's something about Keel Lorenz that I don't know... Image

Lol..I meanth, when he turns into LCL, you see all the articficial parts that was in his body....

Originally posted on: 18-Sep-2003, 02:09 GMT

NakedEYE666 [ANF]
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby NakedEYE666 [ANF] » Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:47 am

tv33 wrote:Almost all religions have an idea of paradise. I dont see any reason to conect Instrumentality to Buddhism, especially when there are so many connections to Christanity.

It's not like Chrstianity is the only religion they reffernce to, they refference to many religions. Heck, when was the last time you saw the Tree of Sephiroth in the Bible?

I don't know if this is a buhdist refference but I guess it could be. It's a form of enlightenment atleast.

Originally posted on: 20-Sep-2003, 02:25 GMT

tv33 [ANF]
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby tv33 [ANF] » Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:48 am

NakedEYE666 wrote:Heck, when was the last time you saw the Tree of Sephiroth in the Bible?

Well, lets see what the Eva God has to say about it.

A symbolic figure in Kabbalism (A esoteric sect of Judaism centring around mystical interpretations of the "Torah") representing in essence a 3-dimensional image of the spiritual realm in the form of a diagram.

http://www.everything2.com/index.pl...0of%20Sephiroth

Originally posted on: 20-Sep-2003, 02:31 GMT

saiyajin prince [ANF]
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby saiyajin prince [ANF] » Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:48 am

So I guess that the Tree of Sephiroth does not appear in the bible Image

Originally posted on: 20-Sep-2003, 02:34 GMT

Shin-seiki [ANF]
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby Shin-seiki [ANF] » Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:48 am

Nirvana = extinction of self
Human Complementation Project = extinction of self (at least as portrayed in EoE; in the TV ending, it consists of people standing around on a HS auditorium stage, jabbering away at each other...)

Originally posted on: 20-Sep-2003, 02:34 GMT

DufFuS101 [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby DufFuS101 [ANF] » Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:48 am

Shin-seiki wrote:Nirvana = extinction of self
Human Complementation Project = extinction of self (at least as portrayed in EoE; in the TV ending, it consists of people standing around on a HS auditorium stage, jabbering away at each other...)

Originally posted on: 20-Sep-2003, 02:36 GMT

saiyajin prince [ANF]
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby saiyajin prince [ANF] » Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:48 am

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Shin-seiki
Nirvana = extinction of self

Nirvana is more like becoming free of all material things and has attained disinterested wisdom and compassion.

Originally posted on: 20-Sep-2003, 02:36 GMT

tv33 [ANF]
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby tv33 [ANF] » Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:48 am

Hummmm...

Main Entry: nir·va·na
Pronunciation: nir-'vä-n&, (")n&r-
Function: noun
Usage: often capitalized
Etymology: Sanskrit nirvAna, literally, act of extinguishing, from nis- out + vAti it blows -- more at WIND
Date: 1801
1 : the final beatitude that transcends suffering, karma, and samsara and is sought especially in Buddhism through the extinction of desire and individual consciousness
2 a : a place or state of oblivion to care, pain, or external reality; also : BLISS, HEAVEN b : a goal hoped for but apparently unattainable : DREAM

Originally posted on: 20-Sep-2003, 02:38 GMT

DufFuS101 [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby DufFuS101 [ANF] » Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:48 am

That's quite interesting.

Originally posted on: 20-Sep-2003, 02:40 GMT

dragon_heart [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby dragon_heart [ANF] » Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:49 am

I agree with Shin-seiki: “Extinction of Self” is a pretty good definition of Nirvana, although some Buddhist would say that definition is a little too nihilist. I have also heard Nirvana being defined as submitting to the universal void or becoming one with the universal mind. The Vendettas (one of the six philosophical sects of the Hindus) have a similar concept of separating one's soul (Atman) from the body. In order to achieve that state, you have to renounce all material things. You are also supposed to meditate, act virtuous and do some other things.

Originally posted on: 27-Sep-2003, 04:52 GMT

NakedEYE666 [ANF]
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby NakedEYE666 [ANF] » Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:49 am

My sensei once told me, never miss a chance to post unrelated lyrics on a messege board.

"I was doing time in the universal mind,
I was feeling fine.
I was turning keys, I was setting people free,
I was doing all right.

Then you came along
With a suitcase and a song,
Turned my head along.
Now I'm so alone
Just looking for a home
In every place I see.
I'm the freedom man, I'm the freedom man.
I'm the freedom man, that's how lucky I am."

Originally posted on: 05-Oct-2003, 01:20 GMT

Return to “AnimeNation Archive”