Why did Asuka reincarnate on that beach?

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only.

Moderator: Board Staff

BEsERk EVA01
Lilin
Lilin
User avatar
Posts: 1342
Joined: Oct 05, 2007
Location: Australia

Why did Asuka reincarnate on that beach?

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby BEsERk EVA01 » Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:04 am

We all saw EoE, and Shinji rejected Instrumentality, for known reasons that we all know. Well, why did Asuka reject it as well? To be with Shinji?

Give your opinions and ideas on why Asuka rejected Instrumentality.

Does anyone know about Asuka's reasons for rejection, and why everyone else preferred their state in LCL?
>>My User Profile On EvaPedia<<
>>Per Ardua ad Astra, Through Struggle To The Stars<<
>>Nothing<<

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard
User avatar
Age: 32
Posts: 8005
Joined: Feb 17, 2007
Location: Somewhere Over the Rainbo
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:29 am

Asuka never seemed to like people much, I can only imagine how she liked being a part of EVERYONE (someone post the "DO NOT WANT" pic).
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator
User avatar
Age: 43
Posts: 11731
Joined: Dec 26, 2005
Location: Pittsburgh/New York City
Gender: Male
Contact:

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Ornette » Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:59 am

Specifically, Asuka didn't "reject" instrumentality. Shinji ended instrumentality, it was over, everyone wasn't a single being anymore. It was up to each individual to choose to live. Asuka had to "Imagine herself in her own heart".

EoE wrote:YUI:
All living things have the ability to return to their original form...
and the heart to go on living.


Why did she want to live? I'd say for a number of reasons. Maybe she saw something in instrumentality that made her want to come back. Maybe it was her mother (who's soul theoretically would be part of Instrumentality since it was freed with Eva-02's core was destroyed) or her Father. Maybe it was because the last thing she remembered was her rebirth in Eva-02 and fight with the MPEs.
Paganini's 14th Caprice in Eb Maj - recordings from 2004 -Vinyl collection at Discogs.
I have a haiku,
Okay, Okay, here it is,
damn, I forgot it

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard
User avatar
Age: 32
Posts: 8005
Joined: Feb 17, 2007
Location: Somewhere Over the Rainbo
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:06 am

Even out of instrumentality in the sea of LCL, I've always imagined it kind of like being back in the womb. IOW, in order to come back, it's literally like being reborn - and it's not a fun thing leaving comfort, warmth, and protection for harsh, cold, and dangerous. I've also always liked that reason (the leaving the warmth of the LCL sea for the harshness of reality) for being part of the "Kimochi Warui" line.
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

BEsERk EVA01
Lilin
Lilin
User avatar
Posts: 1342
Joined: Oct 05, 2007
Location: Australia

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby BEsERk EVA01 » Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:11 am

I don't think anybody's remembered being in their mother's womb. But, yeah, it would be pretty warm and cosy. :D But, THIS IS REALITY PEOPLES!
Anyways, I've always thought that Asuska had an enormous will to live, but I've always wondered WHY!? She hated the fact that she loved Shinji, and I don't get the hell of it.
>>My User Profile On EvaPedia<<
>>Per Ardua ad Astra, Through Struggle To The Stars<<
>>Nothing<<

fadingreminder
Sandalphon
Sandalphon
User avatar
Age: 32
Posts: 524
Joined: Nov 14, 2005

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby fadingreminder » Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:33 am

Ornette wrote:Maybe it was her mother (who's soul theoretically would be part of Instrumentality since it was freed with Eva-02's core was destroyed)
Hey, back up a little bit. Is this true? I never even considered something like this. It makes sense; I suppose it's like thinking if I took multiple spears to the chest, my soul would leave me too. Still, this ties in to something else, the question of whether the dead are part of Instrumentality and whether or not they would be able to return from the Sea.

I'm pretty certain that Asuka was dead before 3I, or at the least she was dying when it happened. This has always been confusing to me in that I always believed she was dead before 3I and the dead could not return from the Sea, but clearly she did. So, theoretically, her mother could return from the Sea as well?

Sorry about getting WAY the hell off topic, I didn't mean to hijack the thread here. Point me to another thread if it's more applicable to ask there.

BEsERk EVA01
Lilin
Lilin
User avatar
Posts: 1342
Joined: Oct 05, 2007
Location: Australia

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby BEsERk EVA01 » Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:35 am

It's a start, it's a start. Nothing wrong with that! In fact, that makes a good point out. Tee. Hee.

ORNETTE!

Sir, yes sir, commander EVA01!

EVA01: GET ME 1,000 OMELETTES HERE NOW! STAT! I'M HUNGRY! DAMN IT! THAT ANGEL TASTED UGH! GET ME IT NOW! MEDIUM RARE OMELETTE! NOW!

Yes sir! Commander EVA01!

Sorry, about that, but I just had to post that. No offence mate, no offence. It;s funny, but is it alright to bag the admins once or twice? If it's bad and will get me banned, then I'm sorry and I will never do it again in my life!

No, siree! :(

I'm going to do some research now. On Asuska and Shinji plus Instrumentality. More in-depth stuff.

Well, BUH-BYE!

Sorry, it's just that I'm so exaggerated and anxious and desperate for RoE! I've gone crazy these past days! I want Rebuild!!!!!
>>My User Profile On EvaPedia<<
>>Per Ardua ad Astra, Through Struggle To The Stars<<
>>Nothing<<

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!
User avatar
Age: 24
Posts: 9768
Joined: Aug 29, 2006
Location: Hollywoo
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Sachi » Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:48 am

hm..., i always thought that when Shinji rejected Instrumentality he fucked it up for everybody else too.
"Chaos is merely a human construct. The world only knows its own natural law of harmony and order."
"So you are saying it's the human heart that throws the world into confusion."

BEsERk EVA01
Lilin
Lilin
User avatar
Posts: 1342
Joined: Oct 05, 2007
Location: Australia

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby BEsERk EVA01 » Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:51 am

Yeah, Shinji just wanted to be alone with Asuska if you know what I mean...have the whole world to them just two. He he he. And everyone else just had to leave Mother Earth. 8) I'm not surprised if he and Asuska mucked it up the Earth in the WAY.
>>My User Profile On EvaPedia<<
>>Per Ardua ad Astra, Through Struggle To The Stars<<
>>Nothing<<

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!
User avatar
Age: 24
Posts: 9768
Joined: Aug 29, 2006
Location: Hollywoo
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Sachi » Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:54 am

that would be funny if he brought her back for that reason. then when he tries somthing, she totally rejects him. so much for the Human Race
"Chaos is merely a human construct. The world only knows its own natural law of harmony and order."
"So you are saying it's the human heart that throws the world into confusion."

BEsERk EVA01
Lilin
Lilin
User avatar
Posts: 1342
Joined: Oct 05, 2007
Location: Australia

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby BEsERk EVA01 » Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:58 am

Nah, man, it's like,

"Hey, um...Asuska...we're alone, and nobody's here. Wanna?"
"?"
"You know what I mean..."
"Uhhhh..."
"Ugh"
"What the hell are you saying"
"I don't want to say it, especially when I'm typing in front of Eva Monkey!"
"I thought you said we were alone"
"Well, yes, but let's just say The Eva Monkey, is all-knowing, all-powerful!"
"And?"
"Well, do you want to do it? Like, nobody's watching, cept' perhaps Sachiel 13, but he's too busy playing N64."
"Eww"
"Awww...come on!"
"REJECTED!"
"WAAAAAAAAAAA! I WANT MUMMY!"

TEE HEE HEE!
>>My User Profile On EvaPedia<<
>>Per Ardua ad Astra, Through Struggle To The Stars<<
>>Nothing<<

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!
User avatar
Age: 24
Posts: 9768
Joined: Aug 29, 2006
Location: Hollywoo
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Sachi » Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:00 am

Shinji: damn, it was either get laid, or instrumentality, and i got nothing!
"Chaos is merely a human construct. The world only knows its own natural law of harmony and order."
"So you are saying it's the human heart that throws the world into confusion."

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator
User avatar
Age: 43
Posts: 11731
Joined: Dec 26, 2005
Location: Pittsburgh/New York City
Gender: Male
Contact:

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Ornette » Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:14 am

This isn't the caption contest thread. One more and I'm pruning.
Paganini's 14th Caprice in Eb Maj - recordings from 2004 -Vinyl collection at Discogs.
I have a haiku,
Okay, Okay, here it is,
damn, I forgot it

DatDude
Test Subject
Test Subject
User avatar
Posts: 2784
Joined: Jun 21, 2004
Location: Jersey arm-pit of the eas
Contact:

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby DatDude » Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:25 am

I guess she made the same choice Shinji did to take the risk of being hurt in order to have a chance at a real life
The Dark scribes are looking for new blood, having spilled all available. If interested we are taking applications for faceless minions, sacrifices, and of course writers. If interested please apply at www.darkscribes.org

chee
EGF Hate Machine
EGF Hate Machine
User avatar
Age: 29
Posts: 3337
Joined: Jul 16, 2007

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby chee » Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:39 am

Asuka in 25' wrote:I DON'T WANNA DIIIIIEEEEEEEEE!!!


I think that sets a precedent.
"-and for your special entertainment
we have turned you into a TV guided bomb"

- Nick "True Edgemaster" Land

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator
User avatar
Age: 60
Posts: 19767
Joined: Nov 23, 2004
Location: This sceptered isle.
Gender: Male
Contact:

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:26 pm

I still hold to my belief that whatever crawled out of the red seas was broken, much as she had been back at the start of episode 24, if not more, else she would not have been so supine. Rejecting as being completely beyond the bounds of taste, the notion that this was intended as any sort of rehash of The Taming of the Shrew, one is led inexorably to the conclusion that she took the only way out of the LCL sea because she wanted to take the way out of the game completely.

Thus she accepts Shinji's gift fondly, and shows weary disgust when he fails in reality to carry through what was so effortless in Complementation.

DatDude
Test Subject
Test Subject
User avatar
Posts: 2784
Joined: Jun 21, 2004
Location: Jersey arm-pit of the eas
Contact:

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby DatDude » Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:30 pm

this touches on what it really means to imagin yourself within your own heart.

I figured she made the same choice Shinji did as I mentioned before
The Dark scribes are looking for new blood, having spilled all available. If interested we are taking applications for faceless minions, sacrifices, and of course writers. If interested please apply at www.darkscribes.org

TriLink
Lilin
Lilin
User avatar
Posts: 1294
Joined: Aug 02, 2006
Location: Cleveland, Ohio

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby TriLink » Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:59 pm

It's doubtful (at least to me) that Asuka rejected complementation just so she could be with Shinji. Although I think her stance towards him has softened considerably since their last encounter, I don't think their best pals or anything (though I do think there's a chance for them yet).

I find it more likely that Asuka found a non-Shinji reason to return, and it probably has something to do with her mother (perhaps Kyoko gave a "You must live" type speech to her like Yui did for Shinji, who knows).
" Just one question America...WHO IS FUCKING OUR PING PONG BALLS!?" -Dr.Stephen T Colbert DFA

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?
User avatar
Age: 31
Posts: 22563
Joined: Aug 13, 2006
Location: Living in Houston, TX
Gender: Female
Contact:

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue Oct 23, 2007 1:00 pm

Why Asuka wanted to live on: A strong will to live, but not in the way you'd think. (It was because of her fear of death more than anything else.)

First off, during Pre-Instrumentality, she didn't like the fact Shinji wasn't giving her a choice. During the "Do you want to become one with me?" sequence (remember, Instrumentality=sex, even more intimate than that because souls are being joined).

Asuka, Episode 26': wrote: But, if I have to be with you, I'd rather die!


Implying that she'd rather be dead in Instrumentality than being a living hivemind, I think. (Also, it's interesting how she uses "anata" instead of "anta" when talking to Shinji. This also is heard in EoTV.)

Also, in BOTH episodes 25 and 25':

Asuka, Episode 25' wrote:I DON'T WANT TO DIE!


Asuka, Episode 25 wrote:I don't want to die. I don't want to disappear.
<snip>
That's why I'm going to live by myself.
But I don't want to! It's hard!
I don't want to be alone!
I don't want to be alone!
I don't want to be alone!
<snip>
Don't kill me.


And keeping in mind what Yui, Rei and Kaworu said:

Episode 26' wrote:KAWORU (OFF): Human souls create their own body.


Episode 26' wrote:Rei (OFF): If their hearts can create their own image...they will be able to restore their human bodies.


Episode 26' wrote: YUI (OFF): It will be alright. All lifeforms have the power to restore themselves...and the wish to live. If you decide to live, anywhere can be heaven...because you're alive. There will be chances to be happy everywhere. As long as the Sun, Moon and Earth exist...it will be alright.


I'd say another reason she returned could be because she wanted to be with Shinji , even though they weren't on great terms at that point. Either way, she did lay down next to him (Upon returning and kicking down her gravemarker. And yes, she did kick down her gravemarker. Since Last A shows she did that, it's safe to assume the actual ending implies she did that, too.) and caressed his cheek as the way to get him to stop choking her, so make of that what you will.

Keep in mind that even when Asuka did return, it was sometime after Shinji was already back. The fact that it took her awhile to return to begin with makes me think that she simply had a lot to think about, as it were, deciding to live on. Since it took her awhile, I'd say that's why the rest of humanity isn't back yet (from what Anno showed us, anyway): people have their issues that they have to come to terms with, first. (I worded this better in another thread, but I can't recall where. >_< Maybe it was the Passage of Time one.)

@ Trilink12: I actually wrote all this before I noticed your reply, just so you know.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus
User avatar
Posts: 4815
Joined: Oct 08, 2007
Location: The Land Up Over
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Alaska Slim » Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:05 pm

BEsERk EVA01 wrote:Yeah, Shinji just wanted to be alone with Asuska if you know what I mean...have the whole world to them just two. He he he. And everyone else just had to leave Mother Earth. 8) I'm not surprised if he and Asuska mucked it up the Earth in the WAY.

Please keep your cheap perversions of Shinji's intentions to yourself, KawrouXShinji and Manga Shinji shippers are annoying enough as it is...

Also, learn how to spell Asuka's name.

TriLink12 wrote:It's doubtful (at least to me) that Asuka rejected complementation just so she could be with Shinji. Although I think her stance towards him has softened considerably since their last encounter, I don't think their best pals or anything (though I do think there's a chance for them yet).

Indeed, if Rebuild expands the ending as we know it, then I hope it will show Asuka and Shinji's relationship to be much like how you say, not "friendly" but at least on slightly better terms then status quo that existed before the 12th Angel, and perhaps with a chance of being something more.

TriLink12 wrote:I find it more likely that Asuka found a non-Shinji reason to return, and it probably has something to do with her mother (perhaps Kyoko gave a "You must live" type speech to her like Yui did for Shinji, who knows.

If she loved Asuka just as much by comparison (and considering Asuka's speech when she first discovered her presence, I think it's safe to assume she does), then she would of at least implied that intention to her daughter, otherwise why bother "protecting" her all this time?

Sailor Star Dust wrote:Why Asuka wanted to live on: A strong will to live, but not in the way you'd think. (It was because of her fear of death more than anything else.)
First off, during Pre-Instrumentality, she didn't like the fact Shinji wasn't giving her a choice. During the "Do you want to become one with me?" sequence (remember, Instrumentality=sex, even more intimate than that because souls are being joined).

Asuka, Episode 26': wrote: But, if I have to be with you, I'd rather die!


For a while, that line actually defined what I believed about the final scene, Asuka said that she'd rather die then be with him, and so Shinji decided to kill her, out of some sick, twisted act of "love".

Asuka then rubbed his cheek in thanking him for fulfilling her wish, which in turn instead caused him to stop, either because he was overwhelmed over thoughts of his mother, or he couldn't bear being alone. Asuka then stated "disgusting" to vocalize what she then felt about him, disgusted, that he couldn't even work up the nerve to do this one final act for her.

Naturally, once I heard about what Mr. Anno had stated about the scene, and what the voice actress for Asuka had been told in delivering the final line, my interpretation of it became far less certain.

Sailor Star Dust wrote:I'd say another reason she returned could be because she wanted to be with Shinji , even though they weren't on great terms at that point. Either way, she did lay down next to him (Upon returning and kicking down her gravemarker. And yes, she did kick down her gravemarker. Since Last A shows she did that, it's safe to assume the actual ending implies she did that, too.) and caressed his cheek as the way to get him to stop choking her, so make of that what you will.

Sorry, what is "The Last A"? One of the alternate/unused storyboards? 8)
"It's all fun and games till one of you gets my foot up your ass." - FofR, TrivialBeing.net Webmaster

"I blame teenage girls for everything." - Dr. Dave

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute


Return to “Evangelion Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests