[LAEM] Matt Greenfingers

The place for all of the old Live Action Evangelion Movie threads.

Moderator: Board Staff

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

Postby BrikHaus » Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:57 pm

CitizenGeek wrote:Matt Greenfield is very definitely wrong about this, but I don't think he's going to design anything in Eva live action movie to resemble a penis.

How can you say Matt Greenfield is wrong? He invented Evangelion. Anno's only purpose was to translate stuff into Japanese, and play with model trains. Matt Greenfield said so.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

CitizenGeek
Ireul
Ireul

Postby CitizenGeek » Sat Nov 03, 2007 2:14 pm

BrikHaus wrote:
CitizenGeek wrote:Matt Greenfield is very definitely wrong about this, but I don't think he's going to design anything in Eva live action movie to resemble a penis.

How can you say Matt Greenfield is wrong? He invented Evangelion. Anno's only purpose was to translate stuff into Japanese, and play with model trains. Matt Greenfield said so.

I know this is a joke, but Matt Greenfield really doesn't act like he owns, or created, Evangelion.
I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf mutes.

EvaCub
Ireul
Ireul

Postby EvaCub » Sat Nov 03, 2007 8:07 pm

Maybe we should just assassinate greenyfingers and move on to the next director...
My Anime List
Apjak:"Basically, to make an A.T. field gun, you'd have to make a gun that fires Evangelions. Not a very efficient use.
SailorStarDust:"No, everything has SOME meaning to it in Eva!"
Reichu on Sequel Theory:lights bandwagon on fire again:

CitizenGeek
Ireul
Ireul

Postby CitizenGeek » Sun Nov 04, 2007 7:16 am

EvaCub wrote:Maybe we should just assassinate greenyfingers and move on to the next director...

I very much doubt Greenfield will be the director of this movie. He has no experience directing live-action movies, and he knows this.

Apathetic Piggy
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby Apathetic Piggy » Sun Nov 04, 2007 3:11 pm

CitizenGeek wrote:
EvaCub wrote:Maybe we should just assassinate greenyfingers and move on to the next director...

I very much doubt Greenfield will be the director of this movie. He has no experience directing live-action movies, and he knows this.

Which is why he'd want to pop his directing Cherry by making the Eva film. Or who knows, he may actually get another guy to direct it.

"Uwe Boll's Neon Genesis Evangelion, a Matt Greenfield production."

... I'm glad he seems to stick to video games.

CitizenGeek
Ireul
Ireul

Postby CitizenGeek » Sun Nov 04, 2007 3:23 pm

Apathetic Piggy wrote:"Uwe Boll's Neon Genesis Evangelion, a Matt Greenfield production."

I'd prefer to risk seeing how Greenfield would get on, than letting Uwe Boll direct it!

However, a recurring theme here seems to be that Matt Greenfield is somehow egotistical (to the point of stamping his own name across the Eva movie). I've actually seen nothing that suggests he's got any kind of ego - he even assumed an alias for his role as Hyuga so that his name wouldn't be showing up so much on the credits reel for Eva.

Apathetic Piggy
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby Apathetic Piggy » Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:43 pm

CitizenGeek wrote:
Apathetic Piggy wrote:"Uwe Boll's Neon Genesis Evangelion, a Matt Greenfield production."

I'd prefer to risk seeing how Greenfield would get on, than letting Uwe Boll direct it!

However, a recurring theme here seems to be that Matt Greenfield is somehow egotistical (to the point of stamping his own name across the Eva movie). I've actually seen nothing that suggests he's got any kind of ego - he even assumed an alias for his role as Hyuga so that his name wouldn't be showing up so much on the credits reel for Eva.

It's called humor. Maybe you should indulge in it sometime.

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

Postby BrikHaus » Sun Nov 04, 2007 7:42 pm

Hey, wasn't I the one that copyrighted that title?
Awesomely Shitty
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Apathetic Piggy
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby Apathetic Piggy » Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:10 pm

BrikHaus wrote:

Hey, wasn't I the one that copyrighted that title?

I wouldn't know, but if you did, then just keep in mind I had no idea. In any case, my point is that a live action film would be horrible to begin with. No matter who is attached to it, it wouldn't work. Too many things would be changed to make profit on it and in all, a lot would have to be toned down or cut for length. To put it simply: bad idea.

CitizenGeek
Ireul
Ireul

Postby CitizenGeek » Mon Nov 05, 2007 2:42 pm

Apathetic Piggy wrote:It's called humor. Maybe you should indulge in it sometime.

It's not a joke. The very reason this thread exists is because I said something mildly positive about Matt Greenfield. Sure, it's funny, but it's not a joke.

In any case, my point is that a live action film would be horrible to begin with. No matter who is attached to it, it wouldn't work. Too many things would be changed to make profit on it and in all, a lot would have to be toned down or cut for length. To put it simply: bad idea.

But, how do you know this? Can you give me some examples of when that's happenend to an anime's live action adaptation in the West?

cat42
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

Postby cat42 » Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:02 pm

CitizenGeek wrote:
In any case, my point is that a live action film would be horrible to begin with. No matter who is attached to it, it wouldn't work. Too many things would be changed to make profit on it and in all, a lot would have to be toned down or cut for length. To put it simply: bad idea.

But, how do you know this? Can you give me some examples of when that's happenend to an anime's live action adaptation in the West?

We don't have to go to all the way to bastardized Anime for the answer. Let's say for example, the movie adaptations of "V for Vendetta", and "The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen", "The Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy", etc. etc.

I believe it is possible to do a decent live action Eva trilogy, I just don't believe it WILL be done right. I think we'll maybe get a kick-ass special effects action flick, lot's of explosions, and fighting robots and aliens, however, I don't see us getting near the psychological depth of Anno's work. What ever "deep meanings" we'll get are basically the ones Matt Greenfield claims are in Eva.

I also have trouble believing that we'll have a predominantly Asian cast (I have no hopes for a predominately Japanese one), especially since Tiffany Grant has implied that, for example, Shinji's race may change.
"...I follow you both online and offline, and I am a 4-dimensional manifestation of absolute evil..." - Reichu-tachi
"In all cases, eventually it becomes necessary to decide to 'deliberately betray the fans.'" - Yoji Enokido
I believe in the director of Eva 1.11.

Themaninblack
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

Postby Themaninblack » Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:38 am

cat42 wrote:
CitizenGeek wrote:

We don't have to go to all the way to bastardized Anime for the answer. Let's say for example, the movie adaptations of "V for Vendetta", and "The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen", "The Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy", etc. etc.

I believe it is possible to do a decent live action Eva trilogy, I just don't believe it WILL be done right. I think we'll maybe get a kick-ass special effects action flick, lot's of explosions, and fighting robots and aliens, however, I don't see us getting near the psychological depth of Anno's work. What ever "deep meanings" we'll get are basically the ones Matt Greenfield claims are in Eva.

I also have trouble believing that we'll have a predominantly Asian cast (I have no hopes for a predominately Japanese one), especially since Tiffany Grant has implied that, for example, Shinji's race may change.

"V for Vendetta was actually good...not great but good. 300 and Sin City are fine examples that if you actually follow the plot and style of the source material you can succeed. Well that and a green screen.
I won.

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

Postby BrikHaus » Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:56 am

Themaninblack wrote:Well that and a green screen.

You don't even need story or substance. All you need to make great cinema is a green screen. Haven't you seen the Star Wars Prequel Trilogy?
Awesomely Shitty

Themaninblack
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

Postby Themaninblack » Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:09 am

BrikHaus wrote:
Themaninblack wrote:Well that and a green screen.

You don't even need story or substance. All you need to make great cinema is a green screen. Haven't you seen the Star Wars Prequel Trilogy?

...Or Sky Captain and The World of Tomrow
I won.

Apathetic Piggy
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby Apathetic Piggy » Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:06 am

CitizenGeek wrote:
Apathetic Piggy wrote:It's called humor. Maybe you should indulge in it sometime.

It's not a joke. The very reason this thread exists is because I said something mildly positive about Matt Greenfield. Sure, it's funny, but it's not a joke.

I was actually typing in regards to the immediate comment rather than being a Greenfield fan. Sure, you are entitled to your opinion and I'm glad you voice it despite the mass of posters who oppose the idea. Kudos for that. But it's like when one of your buddies likes Barbie dolls. Sure, he's your friend, but you're going to rip them a new asshole for it regardless.

CitizenGeek
Ireul
Ireul

Postby CitizenGeek » Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:54 pm

cat42 wrote:We don't have to go to all the way to bastardized Anime for the answer. Let's say for example, the movie adaptations of "V for Vendetta", and "The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen", "The Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy", etc. etc.

Most people liked those films, myself included. It was only the fans that were disappointed and that's to be expected with any adaptation.

Greenfield might have silly ideas about what certain Angel's shapes represent, but I haven't seen him comment on the psychological aspect of Eva and been wrong. Besides, the booklet that came with the Eva platinum set seemed to know all about the psychology stuff.

Of course the race will change. Having an Asian cast speaking English in Asia would be a horrible directorial decision. Besides, the psychological depth you just said was of utmost importance is completely unreliant on race ;]

Apathetic Piggy wrote:I was actually typing in regards to the immediate comment rather than being a Greenfield fan. Sure, you are entitled to your opinion and I'm glad you voice it despite the mass of posters who oppose the idea. Kudos for that. But it's like when one of your buddies likes Barbie dolls. Sure, he's your friend, but you're going to rip them a new asshole for it regardless.

I'm not a Greenfield fan, though. I think he done a good job on the dub, but that's about it. I just don't think the sensationalist panic that exists around him is warranted.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Ornette » Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:35 pm

CitizenGeek wrote:Greenfield might have silly ideas about what certain Angel's shapes represent, but I haven't seen him comment on the psychological aspect of Eva and been wrong. Besides, the booklet that came with the Eva platinum set seemed to know all about the psychology stuff.

Wasn't the booklet translated from the Japanese Renewal release? What does the booklet have anything to do with Greenfield?

cat42
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

Postby cat42 » Sat Nov 10, 2007 12:20 am

CitizenGeek wrote:Greenfield might have silly ideas about what certain Angel's shapes represent, but I haven't seen him comment on the psychological aspect of Eva and been wrong. Besides, the booklet that came with the Eva platinum set seemed to know all about the psychology stuff.

Matt Greenfield didn't write the Platinum Booklets. To get Greenfield's theories on Eva, please view the commentaries that are on the Platinum discs, as well as the 2 part extra where he attempts to explain Eva. I'm talking about stuff like where he makes the bizarre claim that Shinji is declaring his freedom from is parents when he is absorbed into Unit-01, and Yui awakens, and finishes the fight for him. There is a reason the next episode is called "Weaving a Story 2: Oral Stage".

CitizenGeek wrote:Of course the race will change. Having an Asian cast speaking English in Asia would be a horrible directorial decision. Besides, the psychological depth you just said was of utmost importance is completely unreliant on race ;]

While the depths of the psychological content may not rely on race, please consider this: Do you think you can truly be making a good adaptation of something if you change a major thing like people's races?
I think it's possible to have an all Asian cast speaking English in an Asian country, and we just claim it's [for example] Japanese. I feel it worked for Memoirs of a Geisha. (While it may not have been the best adaptation in the world, that is a discussion to be had elsewhere)
"...I follow you both online and offline, and I am a 4-dimensional manifestation of absolute evil..." - Reichu-tachi
"In all cases, eventually it becomes necessary to decide to 'deliberately betray the fans.'" - Yoji Enokido
I believe in the director of Eva 1.11.

slothen
First Ancestral Sloth
First Ancestral Sloth

Postby slothen » Sat Nov 10, 2007 1:36 am

CitizenGeek wrote:

I have to agree with CG here. I have developed a negative view of him as a result of the forum group-think, but I really don't express that opinion, because I've never read or seen anything involving him to make me have any sort of opinion. Specifically, I never watched the series with his commentary audio track. For me, all the hate for the dub, AWL, and Greenfield is sort of lumped together for me into a single idea, that being that watching it subbed is truer to the creator's intent.

That said, I remember the evamonkey forums having a feature that played several NGE related mp3s, and one of them was a clip of what I assume to be his voice, talking about "Neon Genesis Phallic Alien" and something about (im paraphrasing here) an adolescent character, completely pliable, willing to do whatever you want, regardless of the personal cost. Then I was like, whoever this man is, he's an idiot.
God, Apparently you all have been discussing Q since November. Catching up on the discussion is harrowing.

MAL Profile

Carl Horn
Israfel
Israfel

Postby Carl Horn » Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:14 pm

Hunter21 wrote:I still remember Greenfield trying to say Aum Shinrikyo's sarin attack was one of the main basis' for Evangelion at a con I went to.

I'm not sure about "main basis," but it would have been impossible for Eva-- a show about a violent, religious-toned apocalypse planned by a power-hungry cabal--not to be viewed by many in the Japanese audience in light of Aum Shinri Kyo. Their sarin gas attack happened while the TV show was in early production, and the media frenzy had by no means died down when Eva premiered; Katsuhiro Otomo said in November of 1995 that by that point, the media seemed crazier even than the cult itself.

At Gainax's summer convention that year, the producer of Eva satirically wore a type of robe associated with Aum to demonstrate an "automatic anime plot generator," which perhaps helped to give rise to later rumors that Gainax themselves were associated with Aum. They weren't the only people in the anime industry this happened to; Mamoru Oshii has said that the police came to interview him after the subway attacks based on the gas attack depicted in his 1993 film Patlabor 2.

Return to “Live Action Evangelion Movie”