S2 Engine expirement. Pilot?

Notable old Evangelion threads from the AnimeNation Forums are preserved here.

Moderators: Monk Ed, Ornette

Palm Tree [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Palm Tree [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:36 am

The accident with the American Eva, was there a pilot in it? I'm writing up some fanfic and want to have it kinda fit in with teh series.
-Palm Tree

Originally posted on: 10-Sep-2004, 23:14 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:36 am

The Eva pilots are all given "Children" designations.

Both Touji and Kaworu are designated the "Fourth" and "Fifth", respectively, after EVA-04's incident. Five "Children" total, all accounted for.

It stands to reason that EVA-04 had neither been given a soul nor a pilot at the time of the S2 incident.

Of course, the very nature of fanfics means that you can change details to comply with your own evil scheme. (I'm incredibly guilty of doing this, myself...) Just write a disclaimer so that people don't e-mail you telling you that you're a dumbass n00b. Image

Originally posted on: 11-Sep-2004, 01:00 GMT

Palm Tree [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Palm Tree [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:36 am

Thanks Chu that helps. A little setback but I should get through it fine.

Originally posted on: 11-Sep-2004, 01:03 GMT

Keisuke-kun [ANF]
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Keisuke-kun [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:36 am

I think they used a dummy plug in the test....Maybe.

Originally posted on: 11-Sep-2004, 09:09 GMT

Fuzzy Chickens [ANF]
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Fuzzy Chickens [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:36 am

Well, the flashbacks from Episode 5 would seem to indicate that a pilot is required for an activation test... however, the accident might have happened prior to the actual activation, or they could have tried to do a partial activation.

But there's no 6th Child (except in roughly 3/4 of the fanfics out there), so deal.

Originally posted on: 11-Sep-2004, 09:15 GMT

The Eva Monkey [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:36 am

Well, it is stated that the accident occured when they were scheduled to install the restored S2 engine. In theory, had it been a success, it would have been sent to Japan and a child would have been selected, similar to the case with Eva Unit 03.

But such is the beauty (implied sarcasm) of fan fiction, you can take whatever licenses you want.

Originally posted on: 11-Sep-2004, 22:53 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

The Eva Monkey wrote:Well, it is stated that the accident occured when they were scheduled to install the restored S2 engine.

"Restored"? From what? One of the Angels that didn't go kaboom? How do we know that they didn't grow it from scratch?

Originally posted on: 12-Sep-2004, 03:12 GMT

Sharp-kun [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Sharp-kun [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:36 am

Palm Tree wrote:The accident with the American Eva, was there a pilot in it? I'm writing up some fanfic and want to have it kinda fit in with teh series.
-Palm Tree

No, it was during the construction phase. I highly doubt it was even near the stage where it could have been activated.

The "restored S2" was something I argued with MDWigs about over a year ago. Can't remember where we got to -o-;

Originally posted on: 12-Sep-2004, 16:26 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Sharp-kun wrote:No, it was during the construction phase. I highly doubt it was even near the stage where it could have been activated.

I think that depends on whether "construction" implies growing an adult Eva piece by piece and somehow putting it together, or simply growing an entire Eva from an embryo the good old-fashioned way... In any case, why would they try "installing" an energy source into something that wasn't near "completion"?

The "restored S2" was something I argued with MDWigs about over a year ago. Can't remember where we got to -o-;

I'm still wondering where this "restored" bit even comes from....

Originally posted on: 12-Sep-2004, 19:55 GMT

Sharp-kun [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Reichu wrote:In any case, why would they try "installing" an energy source into something that wasn't near "completion"?

Easier than cutting an Eva open and sticking it in later?

Reichu wrote:I'm still wondering where this "restored" bit even comes from....

It was in a line at some point. I'll dig it up tomorow.

Originally posted on: 12-Sep-2004, 22:08 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Sharp-kun wrote:Easier than cutting an Eva open and sticking it in later?

If they grow Evas the good ol' organic way, they'd probably want to wait until the Eva's full-grown before putting a (presumably) full-size S^2 into her. In any case, the show seems to imply that the S^2 resides in the core anyway (which really makes me wonder how Yui-sama was able to get at Zer's using nothing but her teeth, but nevermind that), so... I'm not even sure where I was taking that one. I blame the fact that I've been sculpting a chicken for the past few hours.

Originally posted on: 13-Sep-2004, 00:21 GMT

Keisuke-kun [ANF]
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Keisuke-kun [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:36 am

Is it edible? Anyway they were able to salvage parts of Shamshels core and they did keep it. Maybe they shipped it to america and they attempted to restore the S2 in the core.....then shamshel's ghost went kablooey.

Originally posted on: 13-Sep-2004, 02:07 GMT

Sharp-kun [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Reichu wrote:I'm still wondering where this "restored" bit even comes from....

ADV translation of Ep 17:

The Literal Translation doesn't have it as that though:

Misato: Then, the S2 engine has also...

I'm not sure which to trust, as the Literal Translation has at least one slight error in that scene:

Maya: Ten minits, Eighto, Seben, Shix, Fibe, Sree, Tsoo, Wan, Contacto.
# This must be "Ten seconds" but Maya clearly says "Ten Minits"

She clearly says seconds on my DVD.

Reichu wrote:If they grow Evas the good ol' organic way, they'd probably want to wait until the Eva's full-grown before putting a (presumably) full-size S^2 into her.

Perhaps, but this is all speculation.

The Eva being fully grown doesn't mean construction is complete though, the bindings and entry plug stuff are likely added last.

Reichu wrote:In any case, the show seems to imply that the S^2 resides in the core anyway

In what way?

Reichu wrote:I blame the fact that I've been sculpting a chicken for the past few hours.

*Edges away...*

Originally posted on: 13-Sep-2004, 23:11 GMT

Knives [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Knives [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:36 am

Sharp-kun wrote:Quote: Originally Posted by Reichu In any case, the show seems to imply that the S^2 resides in the core anyway

In what way?

Well ... you didn't say it, Sharp, but Keisuke put it out there that the restored S^2 came from the 4th Angel's undamaged core.

Personally, I've always seen it that way to some degree as well. Clearly .. we understand the S^2 to be the "power" source for Evas and Angel's alike, yes? And when the core is destroyed, so is the vessel which carries it. Therefore it's likely to assume that the S^2 organ resides within the most well defended location, that of the core.

Originally posted on: 14-Sep-2004, 01:29 GMT

Sharp-kun [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Knives wrote:Well ... you didn't say it, Sharp, but Keisuke put it out there that the restored S^2 came from the 4th Angel's undamaged core.

Undamaged? It got a prog knife in it and cracked rather badly.

Knives wrote:Personally, I've always seen it that way to some degree as well. Clearly .. we understand the S^2 to be the "power" source for Evas and Angel's alike, yes?

Power source for all Angels and some Eva's.

Knives wrote:Therefore it's likely to assume that the S^2 organ resides within the most well defended location, that of the core.

The core isn't that well defended though, on many angels it stuck right out of their chest, it might as well have had a bullseye on it. ^^;;

I would personally imagine that it would vary from angel to angel.

Originally posted on: 14-Sep-2004, 01:36 GMT

Knives [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Knives [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:37 am

Knives wrote:Well ... you didn't say it, Sharp, but Keisuke put it out there that the restored S^2 came from the 4th Angel's undamaged core.

Undamaged? It got a prog knife in it and cracked rather badly.

Would you rather I say nearly undamaged? If you recall, Ritsuko was amazed and glad regarding how much they recovered and how intact it was. So yes ... it probably came from that S^2.

The core isn't that well defended though, on many angels it stuck right out of their chest, it might as well have had a bullseye on it. ^^;;

... Not that well defended? Tell me your kidding. How many layers of NERVs defenses did Zeruel's laser blasts destroy with a single shot? Yui-sama's core took a shot from that same blast and took several beatings from the flappy arm thingies that sliced off Unit.02's arms as if they were butter. And in another instance, it took a full on shot from the Fifth Angel as well.

There's no way you could possibly defend the core as not being the strongest part of the Evas and Angels.

>EDIT
And if you're talking about location ... well ... Sachiel's was protected by a sort of rib cage ... the Fifth was protected by its entire body ... Zeruel had a protective cover for its ... Gaghliel (or however you spell it) had its deep in its mouth ... if you really think about it, many of them had very protected cores speaking in "geographical" terms — that is to say, the location — but that's not taking into account the sheer physical fortitude that I've already put forth above.

Originally posted on: 14-Sep-2004, 02:06 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:37 am

Sharp-kun wrote:I'm not sure which to trust, as the Literal Translation has at least one slight error in that scene

You're close... According to the actual script, it's just "Second". Image

In any case, looking at the original script, they seem to say something about EVA-04's prospective S^2 being "repaired" twice.

C-021
Aoba "TAIMINGU SUKEJU-RU kara suisoku shite, DOITSU de shuufuku shita S^2 kikan no tousai jikken-chuu no jigo to omowaremasu."
or
Aoba "Guessing from the timing schedule, we think that the accident occurred during the installation experiment of the S^2 engine/organ that was repaired/restored in Germany."

And

C-025
Misato "Jaa, sekkaku naoshita S^2 kikan mo."
or
Misato "So, even the S^2 engine/organ that we went through the trouble of repairing..."

Is anything else said about this throughout the course of the series, though? Such as WHOSE S^2? The Angels whose bodies are actually recovered before the EVA-04 incident are Shamshel, Ramiel, and Matarael. I suppose it is logical to assume that Shamshel would be the one, since that would give the Third Branch the most time to play with...

AchtungAffen made an argument a while back about the S^2 being intimately linked to soul (it's the Fruit of Life, after all, and by all indications its counterpart, the Fruit of Knowledge, seems to be an entirely spiritual thing...), with a related argument that the S^2 would reside within the core (where the soul is). I didn't buy this at first, but then I started noticing that the series seem to imply, with the Evas (and Adam?) at least, that they keep the S^2 in their core. The "evidence" here is a bit tenuous, and I'd need to retread the series a bit to remember where all of it is...

With the Angels, though, I suppose it does make more sense if the S^2's location differs on an individual basis, especially considering that the core isn't even a feature common to all... If Shamshel kept it in her core, there's no way they'd be able to "restore" it; for one thing, Gendou tells them to dispose of the core's remains in episode #05! So it would have to be elsewhere. ...Perhaps there is some water to my old theory that Zeruel keeps his S^2 in his neck, after all?

*Edges away...*

Really, it's not as bad as you think. Image

Originally posted on: 14-Sep-2004, 04:40 GMT

Knives [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Knives [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:37 am

It's just logical progression to think that the most vital part of a being (the part that gives it power to live) would be placed in the most protective casing, that's all ... ie: the brain protected by the skull, heart and lungs by the rib cage, etc.

Why else would destroying the core make the Angels inoperative if not for the fact that the source of its life energy were there?

Originally posted on: 14-Sep-2004, 05:04 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:37 am

Knives wrote:Why else would destroying the core make the Angels inoperative if not for the fact that the source of its life energy were there?

Not all Evas have S^2s, but destroying their cores is still the only way to truly kill them. The Destruction of Core --> Death connection exists independent of S^2 possession.

Originally posted on: 14-Sep-2004, 09:15 GMT

Keisuke-kun [ANF]
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Keisuke-kun [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:37 am

Its kinda like piercing their soul. If they have no soul they have no life. Not necessarily detroying te S^2

Originally posted on: 14-Sep-2004, 12:04 GMT

Return to “AnimeNation Archive”