Blood/AT Field Patterns

Notable old Evangelion threads from the AnimeNation Forums are preserved here.

Moderators: Monk Ed, Ornette

Sharp-kun [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Sharp-kun [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:29 am

As it was brought up in another thread, I thought I'd post this again.

Note: This still has quite a few flaws, but I think its going along the right lines Image

Blue: Pattern asscociated with the Angels, but not the Eva's (EVA-02 is Pattern Orange in Ep 24/24') The angels and Eva's are very similar, yet the Angels have one thing which the Eva's do not. The S2 (Fruit of Life). I think the S2 is what gives the Angels their "Pattern Blue". This is sort of supported in Ep 16, in which the sphere gives off an Orange pattern, when the Angel itself isn't there. Likewise in Ep 23/23', the angel as it rotates switches between a double Helix (Solenoid) and a solid ring, in turn, its pattern switches between Blue and Orange.

Orange: Pattern asscociated with Eva's. Basically I think this refers to beings that posess the "Fruit of Knowlege" ie: the Eva's, which have a human soul. Its also possible a human would give off an orange pattern, though we don't see this in the series.

Red: Pattern reported when EVA-01 recieved the Lance in Ep 26'. I think this is when a being has both the "Fruit of Life" and the "Fruit of Knowlege", as it is when EVA-01 recieves them both this pattern comes up, which also suggests that the pattern is caused, at least in part, by the fruit the being posesses.

Makoto:[/b]
AT Field shifting to pattern red!

Fuyutsuki:
The Fruit of Life possessed by Angels,
And the Fruit of Wisdom possessed by humans...

The real problem is why the 12th and 16th Angel's would give off an Orange pattern at all.

Any thoughts?

Originally posted on: 16-Nov-2003, 12:32 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:29 am

Sharp-kun wrote:Likewise in Ep 23/23', the angel as it rotates switches between a double Helix (Solenoid) and a solid ring, in turn, its pattern switches between Blue and Orange.

You're allowed to call the angels by name, you know. Image

Where do you get the impression that Armisael is switching from one form to another while she is rotating? Until Armi prepares to attack Zerogouki, she is maintaining her double-helix form and only fuses into a solid ring right before she breaks off into a serpentine state.

Originally posted on: 16-Nov-2003, 12:56 GMT

Sharp-kun [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Reichu wrote:Where do you get the impression that Armisael is switching from one form to another while she is rotating? Until Armi prepares to attack Zerogouki, she is maintaining her double-helix form and only fuses into a solid ring right before she breaks off into a serpentine state.

Oops, thats a mistake carried over. I just copy pasted most of this from an old thread. It was based on a scene in which we see the angel on a NERV screen, in which it appears solid. Looking at it later though, it was more likely that it just appeared solid from a distance.

Originally posted on: 16-Nov-2003, 13:01 GMT

MDWigs [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby MDWigs [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:29 am

Just a couple of points (becuase this question has always puzzled me and I've never been able to come up with something satisfying).

In episode 16, they say "Pattern Orange, no AT Field detected.", which prompts a number of questions.

Also regarding the blue pattern, in EoE this following is said when Lilith appears.

Makoto:[/b] AT Field verified! Analysis pattern blue!!

Maya: It's not... an Angel!?

Makoto: No! It's... a person!? It's human!

Which also poses a lot of questions.

There are so many different usages in the series and movies, which is one of the biggest reasons why I've never decided on anything I particularly like which explains it.

Originally posted on: 16-Nov-2003, 13:22 GMT

Sharp-kun [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

MDWigs wrote:Also regarding the blue pattern, in EoE this following is said when Lilith appears.

I've always put that down to the fact that Lilith-Rei had the Adam embryo, which perhaps had a regrown S2 in tt.

Originally posted on: 16-Nov-2003, 13:27 GMT

Sharp-kun [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Oops, thought of that before. It would be pattern Red then, not blue -o-;

Originally posted on: 16-Nov-2003, 15:05 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:29 am

I'm also especially curious how the NERV staff is able to detect this pattern stuff to begin with.

And, hmm... So what are the implications of GNR showing up as Pattern Blue rather than Pattern Red?

Originally posted on: 16-Nov-2003, 15:05 GMT

Sharp-kun [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Sharp-kun [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:30 am

Reichu wrote:And, hmm... So what are the implications of GNR showing up as Pattern Blue rather than Pattern Red?

By my idea it means she doesn't have the Fruit of Knowlege, an obvious flaw

Originally posted on: 16-Nov-2003, 15:09 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:30 am

Sharp-kun wrote:By my idea it means she doesn't have the Fruit of Knowlege, an obvious flaw

MWA HAH HAH! I knew the Fruit of Life/Fruit of Knowledge dichotomy couldn't be taken so seriously!

Originally posted on: 16-Nov-2003, 15:15 GMT

Sharp-kun [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Reichu wrote:MWA HAH HAH! I knew the Fruit of Life/Fruit of Knowledge dichotomy couldn't be taken so seriously!

More likely its just my idea being wrong Image

The patterns are linked to the fruits, as when EVA-01 gets both, we get the change to Red, so there's some connection. There's just flaws when thinking about it.

Originally posted on: 16-Nov-2003, 19:53 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Sharp-kun wrote:The patterns are linked to the fruits, as when EVA-01 gets both, we get the change to Red, so there's some connection. There's just flaws when thinking about it.

Kind of funny how solenoids have nothing to do with botanical reproductive structures. ::p

Okay, by that logic, EVA-01 should have been pattern red ever since the end of episode #19. As I've brought up in the past, though... Fuyutsuki somehow decides that the assimilation of Zeruel's super-solenoid isn't good enough to start spouting pretentious-sounding dialogue over. Why is this?

Yui is a god, in the loosely applied terminology of SEELE, at the beginning of episode #20 as a result of having obtained the Fruit of Life from one of Adam's spawn. And in #26', she becomes god all over again for getting Adam's very own proverbial Apple stuck in her sacred spot. (She should've screamed "Rape!!") Okay, so it gives Fuyutsuki a chance to babble cryptic dialogue in place of Ritsuko, but it kind of makes the groundbreaking end of Episode #19 absolutely pointless. I still haven't heard a convincing explanation for this particular bit of NGE nonsense.

If this "pattern" stuff has fruity connotations as you claim, Sharp-kun, why was GNR not Pattern Red, as well? The Adam embryo supposedly had a Lancea Longini nouveau in it, right? If not, Lilith would be pulling a LOT of stunts using the same mysterious tricks employed by Yui on three infamous occasions, except on a much larger (erm, literally) scale. And, on another note, what "pattern" was Lilith originally?

Here's another thing to consider, just for the heck of it... Perhaps "Fruit of Life" does not directly equate to Super Solenoid AFTER all, and is just a metaphysical concept like Fruit of Knowledge. (Though it sure makes me wonder about how so much in the NGE universe seems to revolve around who is in possession of which metaphysical concept... Smells rather fishy to me, how about you?)

Originally posted on: 16-Nov-2003, 21:19 GMT

Sharp-kun [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Reichu wrote:Kind of funny how solenoids have nothing to do with botanical reproductive structures. ::p

Okay, by that logic, EVA-01 should have been pattern red ever since the end of episode #19. As I've brought up in the past, though... Fuyutsuki somehow decides that the assimilation of Zeruel's super-solenoid isn't good enough to start spouting pretentious-sounding dialogue over. Why is this?

It's not Adam's.

For some reason, Adam's S2 is special, otherwise SEELE wouldnt have needed all those copy lances.

Reichu wrote:If this "pattern" stuff has fruity connotations as you claim, Sharp-kun, why was GNR not Pattern Red, as well? The Adam embryo supposedly had a Lancea Longini nouveau in it, right? If not, Lilith would be pulling a LOT of stunts using the same mysterious tricks employed by Yui on three infamous occasions, except on a much larger (erm, literally) scale. And, on another note, what "pattern" was Lilith originally?

As I've said, that is a problem Image

Reichu wrote:Here's another thing to consider, just for the heck of it... Perhaps "Fruit of Life" does not directly equate to Super Solenoid AFTER all, and is just a metaphysical concept like Fruit of Knowledge. (Though it sure makes me wonder about how so much in the NGE universe seems to revolve around who is in possession of which metaphysical concept... Smells rather fishy to me, how about you?)

Don't think so. Fuyutsuki and SEELE always talk about "God's" and recieving both Fruits whenever Unit 1 takes an S2.

Originally posted on: 16-Nov-2003, 21:21 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Sharp-kun wrote:For some reason, Adam's S2 is special, otherwise SEELE wouldnt have needed all those copy lances.

That's another thing... Why the heck DID they "need" those? They weren't used for anything worthwhile in the grand scheme of things. (Just, you know, slaughtering my beloved Kyoko-sama, piercing Yui's palms, and eventually, well, suicidal self gratification ::cough::.)

Oh yeah, and while I'm at it, the mighty morphin' properties of the fake Lances is just about as pointless and inexplicable as the harpies' fake wings (not only do they not need such structures to "fly", there is no way in Helad those things would be able to retract the way they do). Seems to be the only "reason" for them to be "disguised" as overweighted ken in the first place is (A) so that they can gratuitously employed in the uber-bitch fight and (B) so that Asuka can melodramatically gasp "Longinus no yari!?!?" when the one that mysteriously drops from the sky is hovering in front of Kyoko's face.

Don't think so. Fuyutsuki and SEELE always talk about "God's" and recieving both Fruits whenever Unit 1 takes an S2.

I don't recall any fruity talk in episode #19 or #20. And vague dialogue concerning "gods" and double-spiral thingamabobs doesn't really explain in the SLIGHTEST bit why Old Testament symbolism encompassing abstract concepts seems to be the very crux of the fate of Earth's sentient life in NGE's f*cked-up mythos. Image

Originally posted on: 16-Nov-2003, 21:45 GMT

Sharp-kun [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Reichu wrote:That's another thing... Why the heck DID they "need" those? They weren't used for anything worthwhile in the grand scheme of things. (Just, you know, slaughtering my beloved Kyoko-sama, piercing Yui's palms, and eventually, well, suicidal self gratification ::cough::.)

Its generally believed that Adam's S2 is more powerful than the normal S2's. Thus, as they couldn't get Adam's, they needed more.

Reichu wrote:I don't recall any fruity talk in episode #19 or #20. And vague dialogue concerning "gods" and double-spiral thingamabobs doesn't really explain in the SLIGHTEST bit why Old Testament symbolism encompassing abstract concepts seems to be the very crux of the fate of Earth's sentient life in NGE's f*cked-up mythos. Image

When the 2 Fruits meet in EoE (when the S2 enters EVA-01) this makes EVA-01 a "god". The S2 is obviously one Fruit here.

When a similar thing happens in Ep 19. We hear SEELE begin all their "a god we created" stuff.

The S2 is very likely the Fruit of Life.

Originally posted on: 16-Nov-2003, 21:49 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Sharp-kun wrote:Its generally believed that Adam's S2 is more powerful than the normal S2's. Thus, as they couldn't get Adam's, they needed more.

Okay, but they didn't DO anything! They were good for absolutely nothing in the 3I that eventually occurred. Would they have theoretically been useful if Adam's Apple hadn't mYsTeRiOuSLy been magnetized to Yui-sama? (That's another phenomenon I'd like a good explanation for. ::p)

When the 2 Fruits meet in EoE (when the S2 enters EVA-01) this makes EVA-01 a "god". The S2 is obviously one Fruit here.

So are you proposing that one Fruit makes a "god", and two fruits makes a ... "god", as well? Image I still haven't seen any explanation for how episode #19 maintains any signficance whatsoever after the formation of that so-called "Tree of Life".

BTW, I edited my post prior to this, but we both seem in such an incredibly avid rush to argue with one another even more... ;;p

"I want ANSWERS!"

Originally posted on: 16-Nov-2003, 21:56 GMT

Sharp-kun [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Reichu wrote:Okay, but they didn't DO anything! They were good for absolutely nothing in the 3I that eventually occurred. Would they have theoretically been useful if Adam's Apple hadn't mYsTeRiOuSLy been magnetized to Yui-sama? (That's another phenomenon I'd like a good explanation for. ::p)

A common theory is that an S2 is needed for an Anti-AT Field - a big one needs Adam's, or more S2's.

Reichu wrote:So are you proposing that one Fruit makes a "god", and two fruits makes a ... "god", as well? Image I still haven't seen any explanation for how episode #19 maintains any signficance whatsoever after the formation of that so-called "Tree of Life".

BTW, I edited my post prior to this, but we both seem in such an incredibly avid rush to argue with one another even more... ;;p

"I want ANSWERS!"

Why one fruit? When EVA-01 gets the S2 in Ep 19 it already has the Fruit of Knowlege.

Originally posted on: 16-Nov-2003, 21:59 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Sharp-kun wrote:A common theory is that an S2 is needed for an Anti-AT Field - a big one needs Adam's, or more S2's.

Problem is, the harpies are said to have INTERNAL super solenoids, as well. It was my impression that GNR tapped THOSE (though I have no idea how) to create the Big Bad AATF. So what were the blue candy canes for? "Two times the fun"?

Why one fruit? When EVA-01 gets the S2 in Ep 19 it already has the Fruit of Knowlege.

True, she already possessed that one Glorified Metaphysical Concept. (Cripes, some things about NGE are such nonsense... :bitch bitch bitch: :rolleyesImage Let me rephrase what I said before.

So are you proposing that one Fruit of Life makes a "god", and two Fruits of Life makes a ... "god", as well?

Rabid-fire posting sure gives an adrenaline rush, don't it?

Originally posted on: 16-Nov-2003, 22:06 GMT

Sharp-kun [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Reichu wrote:Problem is, the harpies are said to have INTERNAL super solenoids, as well. It was my impression that GNR tapped THOSE (though I have no idea how) to create the Big Bad AATF. So what were the blue candy canes for? "Two times the fun"?

What is there to say the lances weren't used as well?

Reichu wrote:True, she already possessed that one Glorified Metaphysical Concept. (Cripes, some things about NGE are such nonsense... :bitch bitch bitch: :rolleyesImage Let me rephrase what I said before.

Rabid-fire posting sure gives an adrenaline rush, don't it?

Maybe Adam's S2 makes a better god?

Originally posted on: 16-Nov-2003, 22:08 GMT

SandalpHon [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby SandalpHon [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:30 am

Reichu wrote:You're allowed to call the angels by name, you know. Image

Where do you get the impression that Armisael is switching from one form to another while she is rotating? Until Armi prepares to attack Zerogouki, she is maintaining her double-helix form and only fuses into a solid ring right before she breaks off into a serpentine state.

sorry to be obnoxious, but I just can't stand people mis-spelling the name of the great and powerful ARMASIEL.

He's my favourite angel, and he deserves more recognition that he gets. Image

Originally posted on: 26-Nov-2003, 02:23 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

SandalpHon wrote:sorry to be obnoxious, but I just can't stand people mis-spelling the name of the great and powerful ARMASIEL.

Sorry to put this to ya, but "Armisael" is the OFFICIAL spelling of that particular angel's name. I posted all of the official spellings (along with pronunciation hints) back in this thread -- just scroll down a little to get the listing.

He's my favourite angel, and he deserves more recognition that he gets. Image

If you're going to assign Armi a gender, "he" is definitely out. Watch the New Production Cut version of episode #23 is you don't believe me.

Armi's not my favorite, but she serves her own ... "special" function in my Eva/Angel doujinshi. Click the link in my signature for more details.

Originally posted on: 26-Nov-2003, 02:32 GMT

Return to “AnimeNation Archive”