Rei was in love with Gendou???

Over time, notable threads from ANF will be preserved here for the Benefit of All.

Moderators: Ornette, Monk Ed

GandalfsWhisper [ANF]
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby GandalfsWhisper [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:05 am

BTW: I was refering to Rei's apearance in ep 1.

I think it being Yui in ep 1 makes a lot of sense. Almost like she wanted to see her son, so she apears in the form of the being most similar to her that has a pysical presence.

Originally posted on: 11-Aug-2003, 04:22 GMT

Ikari_Shinji [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Ikari_Shinji [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:05 am

we'd love our creator, wouldn't we? of course. whether or not Rei actually loved Gendo is, I think, undetermined and somewhat irrelevant because it all has to do with Shinji.

Maybe she did but later she learned to hate Gendo because he created her for one sole purpose and brought her into a world a loneliness. that's what she hated and what we should hate our parents for Image

Originally posted on: 11-Aug-2003, 07:01 GMT

saiyajin prince [ANF]
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby saiyajin prince [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:05 am

UberDirector wrote:ACK! You have seen evangelion right? I know you have! So how can you say that the physical body is all that defines what we are?

OK let me rephrase. Technically she has everything that defines a normal human being...

I've never bought the idea that Rei's appearance at the beginning of ep01 and the end of ep26' are purely symbolic, if by that you mean that she isn't 'really' there. Especially with regard to her appearance at the end of ep26', I can think of a dozen different reasons for her to be there, and I think it's plainly obvious that she really is there...

Well can you give any possible explanations how it is possible for her to appear. I could understand that she could've been there in the end, after all that's happen, it hold ssome credability but what about in Eps 1. Not everything in Eva is meant to have a whole deeper meaning than what's just shown to the viewer and it is as is.

Originally posted on: 12-Aug-2003, 00:40 GMT

Shin-seiki [ANF]
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby Shin-seiki [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:05 am

saiyajin prince wrote:OK let me rephrase. Technically she has everything that defines a normal human being...

Well can you give any possible explanations how it is possible for her to appear. I could understand that she could've been there in the end, after all that's happen, it hold ssome credability but what about in Eps 1. Not everything in Eva is meant to have a whole deeper meaning than what's just shown to the viewer and it is as is.
Well, as I've said before, my default position with regard to interpreting and understanding EVA is to, as much as possible, take what is presented onscreen at face value. I have a strong conviction that Anno's basic technique as a storyteller is to simply show what is happening[/u]. I don't think he ever resorts to fooling or mis-directing the audience, he presents the story, and leaves it up to the audience to figure it out. Even the most cryptic and enigmatic scenes and images are decipherable, if you take the time to think about them; it's usually a matter of 'connecting the dots'.
Now, as for Rei in ep01, it's hard to to say what exactly she is doing there; I think the simplest explanation is that Anno was trying to instill the notion right from the get-go, with a quick, enigmatic shot, that there's something mysterious and uncanny about her character. Does that mean she wasn't 'really' there? I don't think it does, because on those few occasions when Anno shows something that is to be taken as unreal, e.g. the sandbox sequence in ep26', or the way Hyuuga 'sees' Misato and Fuyutsuki 'sees' Yui, etc, it's made perfectly clear by the way the scenes are presented that they aren't real (the obviously surreal imagery of the sandbox scene, or the fact that we see Rei turn into Misato and Yui...) In the case of Rei's appearance at the beginning of ep01 and at the end of ep26', there is no such indication of unreality; Shinji is wide awake, and looking at her with his eyes wide open. (In the case of ep26', he hears her before he sees her.)

Originally posted on: 12-Aug-2003, 13:57 GMT

tv33 [ANF]
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby tv33 [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:05 am

Shin-seiki wrote:I don't think he ever resorts to fooling or mis-directing the audience

There were a few times. Such as Kaji saying it was Adam on the cross (We as a audience were forced to belive him). And in the frist episode the Eva's were called "All-purpose Humanoid Fighting Machine - Android Evangelion" but we later learn they are not andriods.

But your right, there are few instances.

Originally posted on: 12-Aug-2003, 14:55 GMT

Shin-seiki [ANF]
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

tv33 wrote:There were a few times. Such as Kaji saying it was Adam on the cross (We as a audience were forced to belive him).
In that case, I would say that Misato is being mis-informed, as a plot point (presumably Kaji didn't know better at that point), and we in the audience identify with her, and find out the truth as she does.

Originally posted on: 12-Aug-2003, 15:07 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:05 am

They were actually running with the "chikai no kyojin ['Underground Giant', as opposed to hikari no kyojin, 'Giant of Light'] = Adam" nonsense all the way up to episode 23'. Watch the Mysterious Superimposed Images as Ritsuko babbles, and (at least if I'm recalling this properly) when she talks about Eva being made "from Adam", they show the panning shot of Shogouki attached to Lilith. Thanks for being confusing, Anno-san.

Originally posted on: 12-Aug-2003, 17:11 GMT

otakumau [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby otakumau [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:05 am

Personally i think she wasn´t, because Gendou treated her like an instrument, or something like that,...... uhh Image

Originally posted on: 13-Aug-2003, 08:18 GMT

saiyajin prince [ANF]
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby saiyajin prince [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:05 am

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Shin-seiki
Well, as I've said before, my default position with regard to interpreting and understanding EVA is to, as much as possible, take what is presented onscreen at face value. I have a strong conviction that Anno's basic technique as a storyteller is to simply show what is happening[/u]. I don't think he ever resorts to fooling or mis-directing the audience, he presents the story, and leaves it up to the audience to figure it out. Even the most cryptic and enigmatic scenes and images are decipherable, if you take the time to think about them; it's usually a matter of 'connecting the dots'.

Just out of curiosity, what are the other works of Anno's did you see?

Now, as for Rei in ep01, it's hard to to say what exactly she is doing there; I think the simplest explanation is that Anno was trying to instill the notion right from the get-go, with a quick, enigmatic shot, that there's something mysterious and uncanny about her character. Does that mean she wasn't 'really' there? I don't think it does, because on those few occasions when Anno shows something that is to be taken as unreal, e.g. the sandbox sequence in ep26', or the way Hyuuga 'sees' Misato and Fuyutsuki 'sees' Yui, etc, it's made perfectly clear by the way the scenes are presented that they aren't real (the obviously surreal imagery of the sandbox scene, or the fact that we see Rei turn into Misato and Yui...) In the case of Rei's appearance at the beginning of ep01 and at the end of ep26', there is no such indication of unreality; Shinji is wide awake, and looking at her with his eyes wide open. (In the case of ep26', he hears her before he sees her.)

I know why she appeared in Eps. 1, he was trying to set the mood but that doesn't answer the question of how was it possible for her to be there. Maybe we're arguing two different things...I already know why she was there, I'm asking how/if she was really here? If you think about it, like I said before, she appeared right after the first angel emerged in 15 years after 2nd Impact and then again in the in the end when everything was done with and over. I don't think there's really more to it.

Originally posted on: 13-Aug-2003, 00:29 GMT

Shin-seiki [ANF]
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

saiyajin prince wrote:Just out of curiosity, what are the other works of Anno's did you see?
Nadia, Wings of Honeymayonaise, a couple of eps of KareKano. However, my comments about his storytelling technique were really only about EVA.
I know why she appeared in Eps. 1, he was trying to set the mood but that doesn't answer the question of how was it possible for her to be there. Maybe we're arguing two different things...I already know why she was there, I'm asking how/if she was really here? If you think about it, like I said before, she appeared right after the first angel emerged in 15 years after 2nd Impact and then again in the in the end when everything was done with and over. I don't think there's really more to it.
There is a very subtle clue offered that pretty much 'explains' all the otherwise magical paradoxes connected with Rei, Lilith, and the behavior of souls in NGE generally. It came up in a thread a while back, and you yourself came close to the truth, but failed to make the connection, when you asked "But what does quantum physics have to do with Rei?". The answer, as it turns out, is 'everything'.

Originally posted on: 13-Aug-2003, 13:41 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:06 am

Shin-seiki wrote:The answer, as it turns out, is 'everything'.

Oooo... Tell us more.

Addendum: Actually, after the "Evangelion Q&A" panel at Otakon last weekend, I got into a conversation with another Eva fan [he actually approached me because I "seemed to know a lot" -- hah, hah -- and he was interested in finding out the model of Misato's car, of all things]. He mentioned that some of the stuff written on the walls of Rei's room in episode 23 are, in fact, related to quantum physics and his website goes into more detail about it. I've been too lazy [i.e., I'm occupying myself transcribing the appendix of "Die Sterne" when I have much better things to do] to check the page out myself -- yet, anyway. It's on my "to do" list. ::p

Originally posted on: 13-Aug-2003, 21:35 GMT

saiyajin prince [ANF]
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby saiyajin prince [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:06 am

Shin-seiki wrote:It came up in a thread a while back, and you yourself came close to the truth, but failed to make the connection, when you asked "But what does quantum physics have to do with Rei?". The answer, as it turns out, is 'everything'.

I remember that thread but sorry, like back then, no go, have no idea what kinda connection you're reffering to.

Originally posted on: 14-Aug-2003, 00:04 GMT

Shin-seiki [ANF]
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby Shin-seiki [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:06 am

saiyajin prince wrote:I remember that thread but sorry, like back then, no go, have no idea what kinda connection you're reffering to.
This is a big enough subject to deserve its own thread, plus it would be getting a bit off topic for this one. Give me some time (to do screencaps etc.), and I'll try to put together a presentation to illustrate what I'm talking about.

Originally posted on: 14-Aug-2003, 01:48 GMT

saiyajin prince [ANF]
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby saiyajin prince [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:06 am

Aight...This ought to be interesting!!Image

Originally posted on: 15-Aug-2003, 23:19 GMT

thewayneiac [ANF]
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby thewayneiac [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:06 am

Another all time classic for the newbies to ponder.

Originally posted on: 03-Mar-2004, 21:24 GMT

NakedEYE666 [ANF]
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby NakedEYE666 [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:06 am

An interesting thread...

I only read the first 2 pages (and not even that) But uh, here are my thoughts on the subject (that I will now, as is customary, make up as I go along)

I think the key to everything... well, most things, is that scene quite near the start, where Rei is talking to Gendou happily. Now, Rei smiles at other points in the series, but I'm pretty sure she never looks like that again. Now, what kind of joy was that? (And... what on earth could they have been talking about? Gendou doesn't seem like the talkative type to me...)

I'm doing nothing more than implanting feelings that I comprehend into this situation, but my guess would be that this joy is the enjoyment of making some kind of human connection that you don't often make. Does Rei love Gendou? Probably, he raised her after all. Does she love him? Maybe, it's quite possible I supose. But the question is, as vastly normal as Rei is, can someone like her experience "love" as the same feeling we assign to that word? If Rei's deprived of one thing, it's proper human contact. It's likely that she would love anyone who gives her some kind of true connection, as she loved Shinji. Does she love Gendou in a sexual way? Why would she? The human part of her soul is what, 10 years old or so? Do 10 year old girls have aspirations of doing the men who raised them? Sure, she wants to be touched, but considering her age, does she consider sex in any context? She doesn't quite care if anyone sees her naked, if that's any indication.

Anyway, I don't have anything else to say... for now. My mind's gotten off track, talking of other things.

Originally posted on: 03-Mar-2004, 22:52 GMT

Stylus Of Chaos [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Stylus Of Chaos [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:06 am

I agree with nakedeye, in that Rei's feelings of love are not sexual, but more genuine. It seems too that her feelings of sexual love are more juvenile than a normal girl of her physical age. She just wants to be touched, loved, and to share her love with somebody. Being touched is her rudementary understanding of sexual feeling. In some part, it seems as if Rei does exactly what others want, but she is definitely an individual. Some people she thinks of just as objects in the world, while with others she connects so deeply and lovingly, that nobody posting on this site can understand.

Originally posted on: 04-Mar-2004, 22:15 GMT

NakedEYE666 [ANF]
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby NakedEYE666 [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:06 am

Stylus Of Chaos wrote:that nobody posting on this site can understand.

I wouldn't be at all suprised if there was a young, Evangelion piloting, artificially aged clone that was raised by Gendou somewhere on this site... Image

Originally posted on: 04-Mar-2004, 22:31 GMT

Stylus Of Chaos [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Stylus Of Chaos [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:06 am

Oh no, of course there is. How could I overlook such a possibility. Apologies to the artificially ages gendou-raised clone who pilots an Eva.

Originally posted on: 04-Mar-2004, 22:34 GMT

Kakarotto [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Kakarotto [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:07 am

Stylus Of Chaos wrote:Oh no, of course there is. How could I overlook such a possibility. Apologies to the artificially ages gendou-raised clone who pilots an Eva.

Thanks. Atleast you acknowledged your mistake. Image

Originally posted on: 04-Mar-2004, 22:53 GMT

Return to “AnimeNation Archive”