Gunbuster

Notable old Evangelion threads from the AnimeNation Forums are preserved here.

Moderators: Monk Ed, Ornette

Char [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Char [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:57 am

Was looking at Wikipedia's Gunbuster page. According to Fanboys.net, the Gunbuster holds the record for most enemies killed by one mech in an anime. I always knew that Gunbuster kicked ***, but I didn't know it kicked that much ***.

Originally posted on: 05.14.2006, 09:18 PM

Soluzar [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Soluzar [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:57 am

That was over a relatively short number of battles, too. The Gunbuster has a lot of multi-directional, rapidfire weapons, and as Coach said... with Noriko and Kazumi inside it, the Gunbuster is a blazing inferno - and Gunbuster as a blazing inferno... muteki da!

Every time I watch the last two episodes, I'm even more impressed with the mechanical design of the Gunbuster. That dialogue I referenced above is probably my favourite bit in the series. Yeah, I know - how did it sneak past the "Gunbuster make stuff go boom" parts? Because it's god damned awesome, and it makes me feel hot blooded, that's why.

Originally posted on: 05.14.2006, 09:24 PM

Reflect [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Reflect [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:57 am

First of all I didnt like gunbuster, as it showed little plot, crappy animation, and hardly ANY dramatic scenes (maybe just for me?). Plus I dont think it killed the most. I mean cmon, there was what, 2 eps where it killed ANYTHING. In ep 5 it shot about 6 laser beams and sure, it took out a row of them with one shot but it didnt look to be that much. Maybe they are counting ep 6 where they used the planet jupiter and a giant nuke to make a black hole, but that was just gay (and it didnt show the enemies dying let alone if they were even there). I think thats just cheating personaly...

Originally posted on: 05.14.2006, 09:26 PM

Soluzar [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Reflect wrote:First of all I didnt like gunbuster, as it showed little plot, crappy animation, and hardly ANY dramatic scenes (maybe just for me?).

It's amazing how differently two people can see the same anime. I mean, I don't think it matters that our opinions differ, but it's surprising to me to see that you say it didn't have enough dramatic scenes. The other criticisms are just our different tastes, but that surprised me. It never fails to move me, and I just can't watch it without just... boiling inside. I wish that could have been the case for you, but of course I respect your taste.

Plus I dont think it killed the most. I mean cmon, there was what, 2 eps where it killed ANYTHING. In ep 5 it shot about 6 laser beams and sure, it took out a row of them with one shot but it didnt look to be that much.

*watches episode 5*

Hmm, I remember it blowing up a crapload of STMC with the lasers. I'll get back to you on that one.

Maybe they are counting ep 6 where they used the planet jupiter and a giant nuke to make a black hole, but that was just gay (and it didnt show the enemies dying let alone if they were even there). I think thats just cheating personaly...

Why, are the STMC any less dead? Think of it from a military perspective. The Earth was able to take out thousands of STMC assets with that operation. The Gunbuster managed to walk away from blowing up a giant nuke. That's pretty badass in my book.

Originally posted on: 05.14.2006, 09:32 PM

Reflect [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Haha, well for me it was really the delivery of the drama. I know that it had it, but it just didnt hit me. Maybe it's becuase I watched it with japaneese dialoge and english subs (all today for the first time mind you), but I dont know. I didnt feel impacted by the main characters troubles becuase I didnt like her. On top of that, the series flew by way too fast with hardly any time to get to know the main character, have her face a few problems, etc. I felt it was too short. Now FLCL which was done by the same guys was GREAT! My all time fav for the music, animation, and the last episode (best of any anime I have watched so far in my book). I guess I wasnt hooked into to.

As for ep 5, it did take out maybe a hundred. About 4 with the first shot, that line of about a hundred guys with the second, and then pretty much just firing at the head ship. It didnt seem to add up to that much...

Now ep 6 yes from a military perspective it was a good way to kill the enemy, but I wanna watch the action! I wanted some bullets flying and stuff exploding, but all I got was a black hole *cries*. I dont count that as gunbusters kills, becuase I mean the planet Jupiter deserves some credit as well as the Earth filling it with nukes. Yea, gunbuster DID set it off in the end but compared to what the other two contributed that was nothing. Also, how in the crap did it survive that blast!? haha, I thought it to be too unreal and it didnt have a huge dramatic buildup. I think the anime fell flat on its face Image

Originally posted on: 05.14.2006, 10:07 PM

Soluzar [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

I didn't really like FLCL so much. I couldn't get involved with it to any great degree. It's fun to watch, but it's sat on my shelf since I watched it. Gunbuster on the other hand, well, the more I think about it, the more I realise that it's easily my second favourite mecha anime, behind Zeta Gundam. It's probably in my top five overall.

Words just can't express how much I adore Gunbuster.

Originally posted on: 05.14.2006, 10:15 PM

Reflect [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Ha ha, its ironic becuase its about the exact opposite for me. I loved flcl. For me it had the music (GREATEST MUSIC SO FAR), I loved the animators syle, there are a crapload of jokes such as when the pigeons come out of the tv when they main char on the tv says "What are these pigeons doing here!?" and a cat jumping fro on sided of the screen and looping around to the other side, and the ends of each episode posed a new conclusion. O well, I guess to each his own?

Originally posted on: 05.14.2006, 10:20 PM

Soluzar [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Reflect wrote:O well, I guess to each his own?

Of course. We each have something we enjoy, and that's all that counts. Image

Originally posted on: 05.14.2006, 10:26 PM

Char [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Char [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:57 am

I love FLCL, but I would watch Gunbuster over it any day, anytime, anywhere.

Originally posted on: 05.14.2006, 10:44 PM

Reflect [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

*Cries while huddling in a corner clutching flcl's artbox*

Originally posted on: 05.14.2006, 11:00 PM

CrossboneGundam [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby CrossboneGundam [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:57 am

Reflect wrote:First of all I didnt like gunbuster, as it showed little plot, crappy animation, and hardly ANY dramatic scenes (maybe just for me?). Plus I dont think it killed the most. I mean cmon, there was what, 2 eps where it killed ANYTHING. In ep 5 it shot about 6 laser beams and sure, it took out a row of them with one shot but it didnt look to be that much. Maybe they are counting ep 6 where they used the planet jupiter and a giant nuke to make a black hole, but that was just gay (and it didnt show the enemies dying let alone if they were even there). I think thats just cheating personaly...

...And you expect people to respect your opinion? When it consists of "THAT WAS GAY"?

Aim for the Top/Gunbuster was and still is a masterpiece, in every sense of the word. The animation is phenomenal even today, the characters are all well developed, and there's tons of drama, especially compared to drivel like FLCL. The last episode alone is arguably unparalelled in animation in that category.

Originally posted on: 05.14.2006, 11:19 PM

Char [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Char [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:58 am

Aww, don't take it personal. I still love FLCL.

Originally posted on: 05.14.2006, 11:21 PM

Soluzar [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Soluzar [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:58 am

CrossboneGundam wrote:...And you expect people to respect your opinion? When it consists of "THAT WAS GAY"?

Well yeah, I did kinda notice that, and disaproved, but no matter how much I disagree with the way in which he expressed his opinion, it's not going to change his mind, so I thought screw it.

Aim for the Top/Gunbuster was and still is a masterpiece, in every sense of the word. The animation is phenomenal even today, the characters are all well developed, and there's tons of drama, especially compared to drivel like FLCL. The last episode alone is arguably unparalelled in animation in that category.

*experiences a warm, fuzzy feeling*

Originally posted on: 05.14.2006, 11:24 PM

Char [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Damnit, who is sitting on the Gunbuster license? I need my R1 Gunbuster.

Originally posted on: 05.14.2006, 11:33 PM

Soluzar [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Soluzar [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:58 am

Char wrote:Damnit, who is sitting on the Gunbuster license? Ineed my R1 Gunbuster.

It has been available in Europe, but that's not a great release, I assure you. The last I heard, Manga Entertainment had the license, and were planning a DVD release "real soon now". Image

This release is cut, although I don't really mind missing out on a few boob shots. It's also very badly subtitled.

Originally posted on: 05.14.2006, 11:41 PM

Char [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Manga, you suck, and you suck hard.

Originally posted on: 05.14.2006, 11:54 PM

Egyptpower [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Egyptpower [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:58 am

First of all I didnt like gunbuster, as it showed little plot, crappy animation, and hardly ANY dramatic scenes (maybe just for me?). Plus I dont think it killed the most. I mean cmon, there was what, 2 eps where it killed ANYTHING. In ep 5 it shot about 6 laser beams and sure, it took out a row of them with one shot but it didnt look to be that much. Maybe they are counting ep 6 where they used the planet jupiter and a giant nuke to make a black hole, but that was just gay (and it didnt show the enemies dying let alone if they were even there). I think thats just cheating personaly...

Wow! This is the first time, I read a negative comment for Gunbuster

Originally posted on: 05.14.2006, 11:56 PM

Grizzbob [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Grizzbob [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:58 am

Reflect wrote:As for ep 5, it did take out maybe a hundred. About 4 with the first shot, that line of about a hundred guys with the second, and then pretty much just firing at the head ship. It didnt seem to add up to that much...(

umm, actually, it was a LOT more than a hundred of those things taken out per shot, remember that they were fighting in an area that is MUCh bigger than anything in reality(for example, the Gunbuster was pretty close to the size of the Empire State building, I believe, & yet it had to deal with THOUSANDS, not hundreds of enemies that were even bigger than it was). It's the scale of the whole thing that made it work, when you saw the enemy being blown up, it wasn't close-up, they appeared tiny in our view, because that was the only way to see a large number of them, & also a way to illustrate how big an area of effect the Gunbuster's weaponry had. Trust us, it was wiping out thousands of them in a shot, & then in the final battle, it had to help hold off MILLIONS of them to protect the Black Hole Bomb(& also remember that the enemy there took up ALL of the space of an entire stellar system, about the size of our solar system, a nearly unimaginable number), that's why it had such a rep as THE baddest mech of all time. But as the ther said, to each his own.... Image

Originally posted on: 05.15.2006, 12:14 AM

shin_gyokakuran [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby shin_gyokakuran [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:58 am

crappy animation? crappy plot? dramatic scenes? It didn't killed the most?!!

grrrrr OK that's it! you've made me very angry. Taste my Inoooozoooma Kick! Image

Gunbuster is a masterpiece. High quality animation>even today's standard don't compare to it<, excellent plot, and very dramatic battles and design is superb also.

Originally posted on: 05.15.2006, 12:22 AM

Suiko Eiji [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Suiko Eiji [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:58 am

Soluzar wrote:It has been available in Europe, but that's not a great release, I assure you. The last I heard, Manga Entertainment had the license, and were planning a DVD release "real soon now". Image

Definately not going to happen now; Manga Ent. lost the Region 1 licesence earlier this year. I, for one, am upset because I never had gotten a chance to watch it on either VHS or DVD and tried to get into Gunbuster 2, hoping the original would follow.

Well, perhaps someone else will pick it up (maybe ADV, as they seem to play favorites with GAINAX) and release it on DVD here, but I cannot imagine this happening anytime in the immediate future.

Originally posted on: 05.15.2006, 12:32 AM

Return to “AnimeNation Archive”