Evangelion/Gunbuster Comparisons & Preference

Notable old Evangelion threads from the AnimeNation Forums are preserved here.

Moderators: Monk Ed, Ornette

Sharp-kun [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Sharp-kun [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:38 am

Eva and Gunbuster are Anno's 2 most famous works. I'm curious to see just which fans prefer. I've always found myself rather torn between the 2, though at the moment I find Gunbuster edging out Eva.

Also, as Anno's earlier work, you can see quite a few similarities between the 2, mostly in style (like between Ota and Gendo in some scenes). Too lazy to list others just now, but has nyone noticed any more?

Originally posted on: 08-Mar-2004, 08:13 GMT

Dr. Nick [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:38 am

Gunbuster is like Babylon 5 on acid. Eva is like acid on acid. :dizzy:

There are almost too many visual similarities to count. For example the descent into the black hole bomb was largely repeated in Magma Diver; Gunbuster tears its enemies' force-fields in quite a familiar way; and if I recall correctly, the surface of the black hole bomb had a curious octahedronal pattern on it...
There was also some gratuitous Gainax self-advertising and a brief Totoro-cameo...

I also think Shinji would have made an excellent Gunbuster pilot (I'm not as sure though who should have been his pair...): As far as I know it, the effectiveness of Gunbuster's attacks is based on how loud the name of the attack is yelled by the pilot. And we all know that Shinji can scream like a roomful of panicked schoolgirls when given a chance. If he could control his hysterical vocalizations a little better and articulate for example "AAAAA-BUSTERRRRBEAMMMM-RRRRGGGHHHH!!!!!" he'd be a true killing machine, let me tell you. Image

Now that I think of it, the other pilot should be Asuka. Rei's calm piloting style doesn't really go together with Gunbuster - just try to imagine her yelling something like "Super Buster Collider!!1!" on top of her lungs, while the most insane, hyperactive j-pop ever is roaring on the background. No, I can't do it either.

Originally posted on: 07-Mar-2004, 21:46 GMT

Sharp-kun [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Sharp-kun [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:39 am

Dr. Nick wrote:and if I recall correctly, the surface of the black hole bomb had a curious octahedronal pattern on it...

Yep Image

Dr. Nick wrote:I also think Shinji would have made an excellent Gunbuster pilot (I'm not as sure though who should have been his pair...):

No, as part of the greatness of Gunbusters pilots is their clothes. I do not want to see Shinji in them.

Dr. Nick wrote:As far as I know it, the effectiveness of Gunbuster's attacks is based on how loud the name of the attack is yelled by the pilot.

The Food Court needs to come back, there was a great "Star Trek vs Gunbuster" thing there Image

Dr. Nick wrote:just try to imagine her yelling something like "Super Buster Collider!!1!" on top of her lungs, while the most insane, hyperactive j-pop ever is roaring on the background. No, I can't do it either.

Double Buster Collider Image

Originally posted on: 07-Mar-2004, 21:55 GMT

thx3876 [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby thx3876 [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:39 am

I had to go with Evangelion.

I've only seen Gunbuster once and I ended up loving it, but it's hard for me to vote for anything over good old EVA.

Originally posted on: 07-Mar-2004, 22:12 GMT

GandalfsWhisper [ANF]
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby GandalfsWhisper [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:39 am

Never seen Gunbuster.

so, Eva.

Originally posted on: 07-Mar-2004, 23:28 GMT

NakedEYE666 [ANF]
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby NakedEYE666 [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:39 am

Never seen Gunbuster... should I?

Speaking of which, was Kare Kano anime made before or after Evangelion?

Originally posted on: 07-Mar-2004, 23:34 GMT

Sharp-kun [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

NakedEYE666 wrote:Never seen Gunbuster... should I?

Yes. Its just as good as, if not better than Eva. There really is very little between the two. Its consistantly great, unlike Eva which had its low points. The ending is also brilliantly done.

NakedEYE666 wrote:Speaking of which, was Kare Kano anime made before or after Evangelion?

After. 1998 as I recall.

Originally posted on: 07-Mar-2004, 23:36 GMT

NakedEYE666 [ANF]
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Sharp-kun wrote:Yes. Its just as good as, if not better than Eva. There really is very little between the two. Its consistantly great, unlike Eva which had its low points. The ending is also brilliantly done.

After. 1998 as I recall.

Evangelion definetly has no low points, as far as I'm concerned. But Gunbuster sounds good, I'll get my hands on it if I ever get the chance.

Thanks about Kare Kano, I was wondering since I'm fairly certain this one image from End of Evangelion (I assume... I only remember it from AMVs) was in a Kare Kano episode once.

Originally posted on: 07-Mar-2004, 23:41 GMT

Sharp-kun [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

NakedEYE666 wrote:Evangelion definetly has no low points, as far as I'm concerned.

It does, despite its high quality in other parts. One aspect is some of the attempted comedy in early episodes. A lot of it is done rather poorly, and comes across as such.

Originally posted on: 07-Mar-2004, 23:43 GMT

NakedEYE666 [ANF]
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Sharp-kun wrote:It does, despite its high quality in other parts. One aspect is some of the attempted comedy in early episodes. A lot of it is done rather poorly, and comes across as such.

I disagree. The part of Evangelion I enjoy the least are the 2 Asuka introduction episodes, but even they have very funny comedy and provide worthwhile character data for analysis. Evangelion isn't perfect, but it's relatively close. I don't know what comedy you are noting as poor, because I can't think of any.

Originally posted on: 07-Mar-2004, 23:50 GMT

Stylus Of Chaos [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Stylus Of Chaos [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:39 am

I believe he means the scene in the car where it swerves while Misato is yelling, and when Shinji inches into the bathroom. Things like that. They bothered me too.

Originally posted on: 08-Mar-2004, 00:26 GMT

NakedEYE666 [ANF]
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

I see... Just curios, but why would something like that matter? I supose it could detract from the atmosphere. (BTW - if you want atmosphere watch Noir, just a suggestion)

Originally posted on: 08-Mar-2004, 00:38 GMT

madoka odeko [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby madoka odeko [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:40 am

Sharp-kun wrote:No, as part of the greatness of Gunbusters pilots is their clothes. I do not want to see Shinji in them.

There are pilots outfits for boys. Remember Smith Toren.

Then again, maybe yaoi fans wanna see Shin-chan dressed like Noriko.

Originally posted on: 08-Mar-2004, 02:17 GMT

thx3876 [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby thx3876 [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:40 am

Sharp-kun wrote:Its consistantly great, unlike Eva which had its low points. The ending is also brilliantly done.

I tend to disagree with you on that. I didn't like the first couple parts of Gunbuster at all untill the second half of the story drew me in. And the ending just clinches it.

On the other hand, I thought the first half of EVA was good and that it just kept getting better.

also posted by Sharp-kun
[b]No, as part of the greatness of Gunbusters pilots is their clothes. I do not want to see Shinji in them.

I'm 100% with you on that one. Image

Originally posted on: 08-Mar-2004, 03:32 GMT

HeWhoPostsStuff [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby HeWhoPostsStuff [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:40 am

I haven't seen Gunbusters so I can't really comment on the comparison between the two series, but I will say that I agree with the opinion that Eva is flawed, and fairly obviously so, in spite of all its good qualities...the main faults I have with it are the "budget" sequences (Rei/Asuka elevator scene, Kaworu in Unit-01's hand), the gratuitous fan service (which in my opinion somewhat undermines the image of Eva's female cast as worthy, fully-developed characters), and quite simply the fact that it's just asking to be taken too seriously, due to all of its obscure and ambiguous themes and such, not to mention all of the stuff that Gainax doesn't reveal, to tempt us into buying all the merchandise that'll give us the info we hunger for. Others may disagree, but while I do like Eva (it's one of the few bits o' anime that I've grown to like), I'm definitely not one to call it something life-altering or the best animated work ever...it just ain't.

Originally posted on: 08-Mar-2004, 04:47 GMT

Quiddity [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Quiddity [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:40 am

Both are pretty good, Gunbuster doesn't have any big flaws (outside of lack of a proper US DVD release Image) while Eva has a boatload, but Eva's a lot more in depth and has more to talk about. Gunbuster's got much more likeable characters and an ending infinitely times better than Eva(TV)'s. In the end, I'm gonna have to give the crown to...

Fooly Cooly! as the best Gainax production though Image

Originally posted on: 08-Mar-2004, 04:52 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:40 am

HeWhoPostsStuff wrote:...the gratuitous fan service (which in my opinion somewhat undermines the image of Eva's female cast as worthy, fully-developed characters)

OMG... You and Incisivis have GOT to get together! Image (Check out her webpage and you'll see what I mean.)

I saw "TOP o nerae!" (what's this "Gunbuster" all you folks are talking about? Image) a couple of years ago. It was cool, but it didn't strike me the way that NGE did. I do need to see it again, though... (Hey, HWPS, want to come over sometime? We can watch [cough]"Gunbuster"[/cough] AND "ReDeath"!)

Originally posted on: 08-Mar-2004, 14:56 GMT

Sharp-kun [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Sharp-kun [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:40 am

Reichu wrote:I saw "TOP o nerae!" (what's this "Gunbuster" all you folks are talking about? Image)

Look at the title on the LD's Image

Originally posted on: 08-Mar-2004, 18:30 GMT

tv33 [ANF]
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby tv33 [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:40 am

HeWhoPostsStuff wrote:the gratuitous fan service (which in my opinion somewhat undermines the image of Eva's female cast as worthy, fully-developed characters)

No to pick on you specifically, but I never understood people who say that. Evangelion is a Shinji-centric show, so the emotions he feels for the female cast are expressed. And as for fan serves directed at the fans (That for example Shinji might never see), there is hardly anything at all, the characters are in no way cheapened because there is virtually none to speak of in my opinion.

Originally posted on: 08-Mar-2004, 18:32 GMT

Incisivis [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Incisivis [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:40 am

tv33 wrote:No to pick on you specifically, but I never understood people who say that. Evangelion is a Shinji-centric show, so the emotions he feels for the female cast are expressed. And as for fan serves directed at the fans (That for example Shinji might never see), there is hardly anything at all, the characters are in no way cheapened because there is virtually none to speak of in my opinion.

*shrug* I tend to think fanservice does not by itself cheapen the characters, but that some think fanservice = fun, sexy, happy women characters, which is obviously not the case. I've heard some say that EVA's fanservice is far less than other anime, so I'll take their word for it.

@ Reichu: Yes, yes, we should get together. Image

Originally posted on: 08-Mar-2004, 18:58 GMT

Return to “AnimeNation Archive”