Gunbuster Question (Spoilers)

Notable old Evangelion threads from the AnimeNation Forums are preserved here.

Moderators: Monk Ed, Ornette

thx3876 [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby thx3876 [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:39 am

Actually, Aim For The Top! Gunbuster wasn't one of Anno's projects. He was just a staff member on it. The writer/director for that title was someone else in GAINAX (can't remember who).

Originally posted on: 10-Nov-2004, 08:14 GMT

Rabid Monkey [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Rabid Monkey [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:39 am

Reichu wrote:With Gunbuster, you may want to wait for a proper overseas DVD release. Assuming that ever happens. In the meantime, though, there's always...

Shutting up, sir.

And a good thing to! :glares at Reichu:

Gunbuster was meant to be released by MANGA Ent. a long while back, we're still waiting of course, leading to rumours of a loss of license.

A Japanese R2 is scheduled for release, although I dont know an exact date, possibility of subs highly unlikely though.

Originally posted on: 10-Nov-2004, 08:24 GMT

KT Kore [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby KT Kore [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:39 am

thx3876 wrote:Actually, Aim For The Top! Gunbuster wasn't one of Anno's projects. He was just a staff member on it. The writer/director for that title was someone else in GAINAX (can't remember who).

Anno was the director, among other positions, of Gunbuster. Are you sure you aren't confusing Aim for the Top with Aim for the Top 2, which is directed by Kazuya Tsurumaki (director of FLCL)?

Originally posted on: 10-Nov-2004, 08:31 GMT

thx3876 [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby thx3876 [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:40 am

KT Kore wrote:Anno was the director, among other positions, of Gunbuster. Are you sure you aren't confusing Aim for the Top with Aim for the Top 2, which is directed by Kazuya Tsurumaki (director of FLCL)?

I was just coming back to correct myself after having watched the opening credits. Image

Yes, Anno was the director. But, it wasn't his story in the way Evangelion was. The story [of Gunbuster] was written by someone else.

That was the point I was trying to make. Image

Originally posted on: 10-Nov-2004, 08:48 GMT

Sharp-kun [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Sharp-kun [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:40 am

thx3876 wrote:So they actualy had the planet Jupiter in there? Image

Yep, thats Jupiter at the core. As I recall, the solar system was rather messed up after Exelion's detonation, and they actually lost 2 planets. That would likely mess up Jupiter, perhaps making it easier to make such a monster.

Reichu wrote:From what I understand, there haven't been any proper DVD releases on any English-speaking shores at all.

There was a UK DVD release. A poor VHS mastered one, but a legit DVD no less.

Reichu wrote:With Gunbuster, you may want to wait for a proper overseas DVD release. Assuming that ever happens. In the meantime, though, there's always...

The very nice remastered R2 box that came out recently. I'm ordering mine this Friday Image

Soluzar wrote:Do you mean it's not even had an American release yet? Oh, I must be especially slow today.. I thought Reichu was suggesting I wait for a UK release, I didn't realise it might not even be out in the US...

There is actually a UK DVD release, though the quality is meh. Its just been mastered off the VHS tapes. Go into any Forbidden Planet and you'll likely find it. Its a crap DVD, but its lasted me, and will be shoved in a corner when my box arrives.

The VHS tapes were also on sale at Amecon.

Originally posted on: 09-Nov-2004, 21:33 GMT

Soluzar [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Soluzar [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:40 am

Sharp-kun wrote:There is actually a UK DVD release, though the quality is meh. Its just been mastered off the VHS tapes. Go into any Forbidden Planet and you'll likely find it. Its a crap DVD, but its lasted me, and will be shoved in a corner when my box arrives.

Cool, thanks Sharp-Kun. I've got a Forbidden Planet about 5 minutes away from me, so I'll check that out.

Sharp-kun wrote:The VHS tapes were also on sale at Amecon.

Never been to a convention. Thought about it. I Probably will, next year. Not Amecon, though, as I seem to recall there won't be one in 2005...

Originally posted on: 09-Nov-2004, 21:36 GMT

Sharp-kun [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Soluzar wrote:Never been to a convention. Thought about it. I Probably will, next year. Not Amecon, though, as I seem to recall there won't be one in 2005...

Next Ame is 2006.

Next year Ayacon will be running though Image

http://www.ayacon.org.uk/

Once again I'll show off what I got at Amecon:

Oh how I love it.

Originally posted on: 09-Nov-2004, 21:39 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:40 am

Oh, how I will relish parodizing it. Image

Biscuit, be warned: There will be plenty of SAABISU SAABISU!

Originally posted on: 09-Nov-2004, 21:57 GMT

thx3876 [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby thx3876 [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:40 am

Sharp-kun wrote:Next Ame is 2006.

Next year Ayacon will be running though Image

http://www.ayacon.org.uk/

Once again I'll show off what I got at Amecon:

Oh how I love it.

Sweet merciful Jebus, that's cool! Image

Originally posted on: 09-Nov-2004, 22:30 GMT

Sharp-kun [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

thx3876 wrote:Sweet merciful Jebus, that's cool! Image

Yep. I was browsing the dealers room with MDWigs when I stumbled across it. I'd seen it online but couldn't believe my luck when I saw one. Raced back to my room to get more money then dashed back. Got there just in time ^^;;;

They just need to do a Kazumi and a Jung one. Image

Originally posted on: 09-Nov-2004, 22:31 GMT

Return to “AnimeNation Archive”