Gunbuster Question (Spoilers)

Notable old Evangelion threads from the AnimeNation Forums are preserved here.

Moderators: Monk Ed, Ornette

gunofgendo [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby gunofgendo [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:02 am

Due to the horrible subtitles, I have a question. In the last episode, what was the purpose of the black hole bomb? Thanks ahead of time.

Originally posted on: 02-Nov-2004, 16:31 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:02 am

Quick 'n' easy way to suck up all of the aliens headed to obliterate life on Earth (since, you know, that's what aliens do...). What I want to know is, how the hell did they get Jupiter in there?

Originally posted on: 02-Nov-2004, 19:20 GMT

gunofgendo [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby gunofgendo [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:02 am

yeah that also confused me...

Originally posted on: 03-Nov-2004, 08:59 GMT

thx3876 [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby thx3876 [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:02 am

Reichu wrote:Quick 'n' easy way to suck up all of the aliens headed to obliterate life on Earth (since, you know, that's what aliens do...). What I want to know is, how the hell did they get Jupiter in there?

So they actualy had the planet Jupiter in there? Image

I didn't get that impression when I watched it. Hmm, good excuse to watch it again (as if I needed one).

Originally posted on: 08-Nov-2004, 14:12 GMT

Soluzar [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Soluzar [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:02 am

Am I just being slow, because for the life of me I can't see why this thread is in the NGE sub-forum? Image

Then again, I know nothing of Gunbuster, so there's bound to be an explanation.

Originally posted on: 08-Nov-2004, 16:32 GMT

Rabid Monkey [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Rabid Monkey [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:02 am

Soluzar wrote:Am I just being slow, because for the life of me I can't see why this thread is in the NGE sub-forum? Image

Then again, I know nothing of Gunbuster, so there's bound to be an explanation.

Both were made by Anno, Gunbuster first, as Evangelion borrowed from it in certain area's. Still dont see why it's here though :???:

Originally posted on: 08-Nov-2004, 18:09 GMT

Soluzar [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Anon. wrote:Both were made by Anno, Gunbuster first, as Evangelion borrowed from it in certain area's. Still dont see why it's here though :???:

I suspected as much, but I agree with you that it does not seem like a reason for it to be posted here. If that were enough of a reason, then we'd be debating FLCL, Kare Kano, and the rest here too. Mind you, it would scarcely be as if we were any more off-topic than usual if we did! Image

Originally posted on: 08-Nov-2004, 18:26 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:02 am

FuriKuri has its own forum on AN. Gunbuster does not, and it's inherently more logical to post a GB thread in here than in the FLCL forum, since GB is Anno's. Far as I know, Anno was completely uninvolved in FLCL, but I could be mistaken...

Originally posted on: 08-Nov-2004, 21:39 GMT

Soluzar [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Reichu wrote:FuriKuri has its own forum on AN. Gunbuster does not, and it's inherently more logical to post a GB thread in here than in the FLCL forum, since GB is Anno's. Far as I know, Anno was completely uninvolved in FLCL, but I could be mistaken...

Eep... I... didn's say that. It was someone else, who thought that he was involved in it... What am I thinking of? Oops. Image

Originally posted on: 09-Nov-2004, 01:30 GMT

TheBystander [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby TheBystander [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:03 am

Anno was 'involed' with FLCL...
He was the voice of Miyu-Miyu the cat (the big one). It says so in the director's commentary, right at the end of the last episode.

Originally posted on: 09-Nov-2004, 02:23 GMT

Soluzar [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Soluzar [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:03 am

TheBystander wrote:Anno was 'involed' with FLCL...
He was the voice of Miyu-Miyu the cat (the big one). It says so in the director's commentary, right at the end of the last episode.

I was somehow under the misapprehension that he was more 'involved' in it than that. I was under the impression (having never seen it, and knowing little about it) that he was involved in an actual creative capacity.

Originally posted on: 09-Nov-2004, 02:28 GMT

TheBystander [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby TheBystander [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:03 am

I think he might have had some creative output in a few episodes (there was one episode in particular that was brought up in the commentary, but I can't remember which one). However, he was really just a sort of 'guest' to the FLCL staff, and not a regular part; this much, I am certain of.

Originally posted on: 09-Nov-2004, 02:39 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:29 am

Definitely do watch it, Soluzar. I imagine my first viewing of it was the closest experience I've had to tripping on psychedelic drugs. And Gunbuster's worth at least one watch, if only for the "Whoa..." ending. Just don't watch it with Stuffman in the same room. Image

Regardless of whether input Anno has had into FLCL, that animated acid trip is Tsurumaki's baby, not his.

Originally posted on: 09-Nov-2004, 03:03 GMT

Soluzar [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Soluzar [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:29 am

Reichu wrote:Definitely do watch it, Soluzar. I imagine my first viewing of it was the closest experience I've had to tripping on psychedelic drugs. And Gunbuster's worth at least one watch, if only for the "Whoa..." ending. Just don't watch it with Stuffman in the same room. Image

Aww, and I was just thinking of inviting The Stuffman over for a DVD marathon, too! What's a few thousand miles between acquaintances? Image

Seriously, I'll give it a go when I've next got anything resembling actual money. I also want to try Kare Kano at some point, I've been recomended to that...

Originally posted on: 09-Nov-2004, 03:07 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:29 am

With Gunbuster, you may want to wait for a proper overseas DVD release. Assuming that ever happens. In the meantime, though, there's always...

Shutting up, sir.

Originally posted on: 09-Nov-2004, 03:17 GMT

Soluzar [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Soluzar [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:29 am

Reichu wrote:With Gunbuster, you may want to wait for a proper overseas DVD release. Assuming that ever happens. In the meantime, though, there's always...

Almost all of my Anime is imported Region 1, so unless the American DVDs are bad in some way, I can't see any obvious reason to wait...

Reichu wrote:Shutting up, sir.

Have I come off as hideously dogmatic on this issue in the past, or are you just respecting general forum sensibilities? Image

Incidentally, what is that quote? I know it, but I'll be darned if I can place it right now.

Originally posted on: 09-Nov-2004, 03:20 GMT

Retro [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Retro [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:39 am

I'd really like to see GB1 get a domestic release, the subtitles Ive seen are laughably bad.

Originally posted on: 09-Nov-2004, 03:21 GMT

Soluzar [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Soluzar [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:39 am

Retro wrote:I'd really like to see GB1 get a domestic release, the subtitles Ive seen are laughably bad.

Do you mean it's not even had an American release yet? Oh, I must be especially slow today.. I thought Reichu was suggesting I wait for a UK release, I didn't realise it might not even be out in the US...

Originally posted on: 09-Nov-2004, 03:27 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:39 am

Soluzar wrote:Almost all of my Anime is imported Region 1, so unless the American DVDs are bad in some way, I can't see any obvious reason to wait...

From what I understand, there haven't been any proper DVD releases on any English-speaking shores at all. (Us Amerikajin sure haven't gotten anything.) Sharp-kun has DVDs, but they seem to be really crappy and with embedded subtitles. However, there is this, if you can support the region...

Have I come off as hideously dogmatic on this issue in the past, or are you just respecting general forum sensibilities? Image

I think it's just a habit of mine to allude to the Path of Evil and then abruptly shut up (or else invoke Sharp-kun's wrath). I did it long before you arrived. Image

Incidentally, what is that quote? I know it, but I'll be darned if I can place it right now.

C-3PO in "A New Hope". Image

Originally posted on: 09-Nov-2004, 03:30 GMT

KT Kore [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby KT Kore [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:39 am

The show only has a VHS release done by Manga Entertainment. They've been long discontinued. Manga said in a press release that the show would get a DVD release in 2002. We've seen nothing.

Originally posted on: 09-Nov-2004, 03:51 GMT

Return to “AnimeNation Archive”