Why do the Angels Believe that Adam was in the Geofront?

Notable old Evangelion threads from the AnimeNation Forums are preserved here.

Moderators: Monk Ed, Ornette

Sharp-kun [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Sharp-kun [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:51 am

I see you've once again edited your post while I'm relying. Image

RahOtaku wrote:souls.

Kaworu is the 17th Angel as described by the Dead Sea Scrolls which Seele used to predict the coming of the Angels. (As stated in the RCB).

Correct.

RahOtaku wrote:Seele does not go around randomly naming objects Angels.

No, but they do when it is convieniant. See Lilith. In my last post, I proved that Angels were born of Adam. She is not, but she is called an Angel.

RahOtaku wrote:Seele states that Kaworu has Adam's soul, but never states that it's the only soul.

That proves nothing.

RahOtaku wrote:Kaworu then has both 17th Angel's and Adam's soul, since it is stated that the 17th angel will come to destroy humanity in the dead sea scrolls, and from Seele stating that Adam's soul is within Kaworu.

We've been over this several times now.

Kaworu does not need to have "the soul of the 17th Angel" in order to be the 17th Angel.

He can be the 17th Angel with just Adam's soul. Nowhere in the series is that contradicted.

Originally posted on: 27-Feb-2004, 08:44 GMT

AchtungAffen [ANF]
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby AchtungAffen [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:51 am

Now I finally seem to understand what RahOtaku is trying to say.

If I understand correctly he says that because an Angel is predicted a specifical soul for that Angel must exist. A specifical and unique soul for that Angel.

Thus as the DSC (Dead Sea Scrolls) predict a 17th Angel, then according to what I understand he's saying, there must be a 17th Angel's soul.

But I don't think this is true. The DSC predicted 17 Angels. Kaworu is an Angel. Thus the prediction is completed. If Kaworu ends up being a machination, a fabrication by the Comitte who decided to paste Adam's soul on a body, makes no difference, he's still an Angel and with Adam's soul.

The predictions said nothing about each Angel having one unique soul, thus Kaworu being an Angel possesing only the soul of Adam is still under the limits stated by that prediction.

You seem to believe that because Kaworu was predicted, his 'angel' soul must have been separated, and a machination only (Kaworu a mix who has only Adam soul) would not be able to be predicted as that soul previously belonged to the 1st Angel. Still a prediction is a prediction, it has nothing to do if the Angel was created and didn't exist before.

You seem to think that because they predicted the Angels, those who predicted had the evidence at hand that there were 17 angels, like they saw them or something. But that's only a speculation, and holds no positive truth.

But what is a positive truth is that Kaworu has Adam's soul, nothing else is said positively about him having another soul, you're just twisting something in speculation to make it look as if it has to have 2 souls. There's positive evidence that Rei has Lillith's soul, there's no positive evidence she has another soul. As there's no positive evidence Kaworu has another soul besides Adam.

You're just speculating that because 17 angels were predicted, 17 souls must have existed. Still that's a speculation without positive evidence, going beyond what positive evidence says. There were 17 Angels, and the 17th Angel had the soul of the 1st Angel, still an Angel in the end, fulfilling the predictions. Looking beyond that, as saying one more soul should have existed, is based on NO positive evidence.

Originally posted on: 26-Feb-2004, 21:00 GMT

HeWhoPostsStuff [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby HeWhoPostsStuff [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:51 am

Er, I might be treading on slightly-too-treacherous ground at this point, but there was something I noticed in one of the above posts, namely the claim that Lilith is not an Angel, though she's called one. Is there concrete evidence of that? While I'm definitely aware that Eva's got nothing to do with religion aside from superficial aspects, in the original myth, wasn't Lilith created from Adam, as Eve later was? And while I am aware that Lilith is known to be the "first angel" and Adam the "second," is it ever really clear what the numerical designations mean? I always thought that they were meant to signify in what order mankind encountered them, rather than what order they were supposed to have come into existence (assuming that it's canon that Lilith was discovered before Adam, I think it is...). In any case, I'm curious to know what the basis is for the belief that Lilith is not "technically" an Angel, in the "born of Adam" sense, anyway...

As for the current "multi-soul" debate, I definitely haven't been around long enough to even scratch the surface of this one, so methinks I'd best keep my mouth shut. Image One possible thing, though...in EoE, when Gendo's attempting to fuse the embryonic Adam in his hand with Rei, is Adam supposed to have somehow gotten his soul back (from Kaworu, who carried it previously) at that point? If he did, then when Rei absorbs Adam from Gendo, then she would have both Lilith's soul and Adam's soul in her...however, I'm really not aware of any proof that Adam's soul is a part of that whole equation. Maybe someone could enlighten me on it...

Originally posted on: 26-Feb-2004, 21:05 GMT

Sharp-kun [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

AchtungAffen wrote:Now I finally seem to understand what RahOtaku is trying to say.

If I understand correctly he says that because an Angel is predicted a specifical soul for that Angel must exist. A specifical and unique soul for that Angel.

That falls apart when looked at logically though.

SEELE obviously made Kaworu as the DSS's told them to. He wasn't "predicted" as such, they knew what was going to happen with him - they made him having read the scrolls.
Its perfectly reasonable to assume the scrolls said that the final angel would be a being of man's own creation, created from Adam, with Adam's soul. SEELE followed the scrolls, Kaworu was part of the plan.

Everything about Kaworu implies that he was made artificially. As such, he doesn't need a "natural" soul, the same way Rei doesn't need a "soul of Rei".

Originally posted on: 26-Feb-2004, 21:06 GMT

Sharp-kun [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

HeWhoPostsStuff wrote:Er, I might be treading on slightly-too-treacherous ground at this point, but there was something I noticed in one of the above posts, namely the claim that Lilith is not an Angel, though she's called one. Is there concrete evidence of that?

A few things:

1) The RCB says that Angels are beings born from Adam (actually it says Lilith, but thats been confirmed as a mistake - Adam is the correct way). Lilith is not born of Adam, as said by Gainax.

2) SEELE say they will not use Adam or the Angels to achieve their goals. However, we know they were originally planning to use Lilith. If she is a true Angel, they wouldn't have.

HeWhoPostsStuff wrote:in the original myth, wasn't Lilith created from Adam, as Eve later was?

Don't think so. As I recall, she was made from the same stuff as Adam - hence equal, unlike Eve.

HeWhoPostsStuff wrote:And while I am aware that Lilith is known to be the "first angel" and Adam the "second," is it ever really clear what the numerical designations mean? I always thought that they were meant to signify in what order mankind encountered them, rather than what order they were supposed to have come into existence

Never really made clear. As I've said, NERV seemed to be very vague about what they gave the title to - Lilith, EVA-03, Kaworu, yet not Rei, who is as much an Angel as those others.

HeWhoPostsStuff wrote:(assuming that it's canon that Lilith was discovered before Adam, I think it is...).

Adam was found first is the general belief.

HeWhoPostsStuff wrote:In any case, I'm curious to know what the basis is for the belief that Lilith is not "technically" an Angel, in the "born of Adam" sense, anyway...

Manga entertainment translated a scene wrongly that said Adam was born from Lilith. As a result of this, it was confirmed by Gainax that they are 2 seperate sources of life, and are not related in such a way.

HeWhoPostsStuff wrote:One possible thing, though...in EoE, when Gendo's attempting to fuse the embryonic Adam in his hand with Rei, is Adam supposed to have somehow gotten his soul back (from Kaworu, who carried it previously) at that point? If he did, then when Rei absorbs Adam from Gendo, then she would have both Lilith's soul and Adam's soul in her...however, I'm really not aware of any proof that Adam's soul is a part of that whole equation. Maybe someone could enlighten me on it...

Its not really known how they merged, so it can't really be said. For all we know, the Adam embryo remained as "normal", inside Rei/Lilith, as a seperate, but joined body.

Originally posted on: 26-Feb-2004, 21:14 GMT

Shin-seiki [ANF]
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby Shin-seiki [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:51 am

HeWhoPostsStuff wrote:Er, I might be treading on slightly-too-treacherous ground at this point, but there was something I noticed in one of the above posts, namely the claim that Lilith is not an Angel, though she's called one. Is there concrete evidence of that? While I'm definitely aware that Eva's got nothing to do with religion aside from superficial aspects, in the original myth, wasn't Lilith created from Adam, as Eve later was? And while I am aware that Lilith is known to be the "first angel" and Adam the "second," is it ever really clear what the numerical designations mean? I always thought that they were meant to signify in what order mankind encountered them, rather than what order they were supposed to have come into existence (assuming that it's canon that Lilith was discovered before Adam, I think it is...). In any case, I'm curious to know what the basis is for the belief that Lilith is not "technically" an Angel, in the "born of Adam" sense, anyway...

As for the current "multi-soul" debate, I definitely haven't been around long enough to even scratch the surface of this one, so methinks I'd best keep my mouth shut. Image One possible thing, though...in EoE, when Gendo's attempting to fuse the embryonic Adam in his hand with Rei, is Adam supposed to have somehow gotten his soul back (from Kaworu, who carried it previously) at that point? If he did, then when Rei absorbs Adam from Gendo, then she would have both Lilith's soul and Adam's soul in her...however, I'm really not aware of any proof that Adam's soul is a part of that whole equation. Maybe someone could enlighten me on it...
The mechanics of how Adam/Kaworu's soul ends up as a component of GNR are not spelled out; tho Dr. Nick has proposed that Gendou fished Kaworu's head out of the LCL, and transfered his soul into the Adam embryo in his hand. I dunno if that's what actually happened, but it's as good an explanation as any...

As for proof that Adam/Kaworu does end up in GNR, well come on, we see him (in the form of Kaworu, just as Lilith is in the form of Rei) with our own eyes, both as half of the Amazing Two-in-One SOL that appears before Shinji in EVA-01, and as a separate self in the Instrumentality scenes.

Originally posted on: 26-Feb-2004, 21:24 GMT

Fuzzy Chickens [ANF]
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Fuzzy Chickens [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:51 am

I must admit, long ago, I also believed that for Kaworu to be the 17th angel, he'd need to have a separate soul... but I don't believe that anymore.

AchtungAffen wrote:There's positive evidence that Rei has Lillith's soul

No, there's just a vague implication.

Originally posted on: 27-Feb-2004, 06:02 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:51 am

AchtungAffen wrote:I don't know if you noticed, but t'seems you keep asking questions wich have no answers. Did you know that's the easiest way towards insanity? Asking unanswerable questions, while trying to figure out their answers? Be careful...

Well, I'm aware that I have a bad habit of asking "unanswerables"... But I figure if I can't get an explanation that's grounded in anything, we can at least have fun trying to make up answers! What's wrong with that? Image

Is he covered with ice? The pic is black and white, so there's no much of a way to know, methinks.

I guess you've got a point there. I thought it looked kind of "icy", but whatever.

While everybody's talking about RahOtaku's wonderful logic, we still haven't really answered the topic of this thread! C'mon, people! Image

Fuzzy Chickens wrote:No, there's just a vague implication.

I still don't know why you have such a hard time accepting this. Most people who watch the series (most of the ones I know, anyway) follow that Rei has Lilith's soul (even if they don't follow all of the other crazy $#it that's going on -- but that's okay, that's what forums are for). AchtungAffen, at one point, was in doubt after the Lilith-soul stuff, but we were able to turn him with the same evidence we've thrown at you. :shrug: You don't have to believe what you don't want to believe, of course, but realize that you're just making people groan in exasperation with your bizarre persistence in this area.

Originally posted on: 27-Feb-2004, 12:44 GMT

Sharp-kun [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Reichu wrote:While everybody's talking about RahOtaku's wonderful logic, we still haven't really answered the topic of this thread! C'mon, people! Image

I quite like the "Mask of Adam" idea, though until I can be bothered to dive into the ML archives to confirm that it really is what the mask is called, its up for debate. If its true though, then it works quite well.

Reichu wrote:I still don't know why you have such a hard time accepting this. Most people who watch the series (most of the ones I know, anyway) follow that Rei has Lilith's soul (even if they don't follow all of the other crazy $#it that's going on -- but that's okay, that's what forums are for). AchtungAffen, at one point, was in doubt after the Lilith-soul stuff, but we were able to turn him with the same evidence we've thrown at you. :shrug: You don't have to believe what you don't want to believe, of course, but realize that you're just making people groan in exasperation with your bizarre persistence in this area.

The problem comes in that he refuses to accept canon. He doesn't like the Program Book's, so they don't count, he doesn't like the Redone Episodes, so they don't count either. You cannot convince someone who only looks at evidence they approve of, regardless of its official status.

Originally posted on: 27-Feb-2004, 13:03 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:51 am

Sharp-kun wrote:I quite like the "Mask of Adam" idea, though until I can be bothered to dive into the ML archives to confirm that it really is what the mask is called, its up for debate. If its true though, then it works quite well.

Well, I don't really see how it "works well". The mask is an inanimate object, regardless of who was originally wearing it. Unless the angels are acting like police dogs tracking down the scent of a missing person's garments of something, how does the mask idea make an iota of sense?

Originally posted on: 27-Feb-2004, 13:06 GMT

Sharp-kun [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Reichu wrote:Well, I don't really see how it "works well". The mask is an inanimate object, regardless of who was originally wearing it. Unless the angels are acting like police dogs tracking down the scent of a missing person's garments of something, how does the mask idea make an iota of sense?

It gives of some kind of mystical homing signal Image

Originally posted on: 27-Feb-2004, 13:14 GMT

AchtungAffen [ANF]
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby AchtungAffen [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:51 am

On topic again, I'll keep saying, now that the "Angels where after Lillith" theory got a fist on mouth, that the Angels where after the black moon because that was the most similar object to the white moon in existance by the time of their arrival. Its a matter of logic. Let's say, you know there's your last joint inside Marlboro cigarrete box (the red ones), but t'seems your momma was messing around your room, and when you come back the only box you see is a Marlboro light one (the green one). So, you probably will look, as in a last resort, inside that box, will ya?

Originally posted on: 27-Feb-2004, 17:27 GMT

HeWhoPostsStuff [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby HeWhoPostsStuff [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:52 am

Thanks to Sharp-Kun and Shin-Seiki for the insights...all these incorrect translations and inconsistencies and such...yeesh, a newbie like me doesn't have a snowball's chance of knowing what the heck is going on. Image A few loose ends to tie up though, if you'll suffer me anyways...

As far as Rei not being labeled an Angel, if it's Nerv who determines what gets labeled an "angel" and what doesn't, then methinks it's understandable that they wouldn't put her on the "roster," seeing as Gendo wanted to keep Rei's true nature secret from Seele, in order to keep his personal scenario a secret...that's about the best idea I can come up with for that. As for whether Adam or Lilith was found first, I was always under the impression that Lilith was the first one discovered, for some reason...if she came after Adam, then she would have to have been found sometime between 2000 and 2004, when Yui vanished into Unit-01...I just find it a tad unlikely that Nerv was able to make such rapid advances in understanding exactly what the nature of the angels are (to the point of being able to clone them anyways) without some prior discovery before that...I could be wrong though, I guess that the official bit that Adam was the "second" angel just won't get itself outta my head very easily...

In terms of the Kaworu thing, methinks it's more or less confirmed that he (more specifically, Adam's soul) are in the Complementation equation someplace, but oy, the vagueness here has led to some nasty debates, from what I've seen...I was actually a little skeptical that the "GNK" that we see in EoE is "real" in the sense that "GNR" is...I saw him sort of as part of the equation that during 3I "Kaworu is to Shinji what Ritsuko is to Maya": neither are "actually" there, but they're the images that appear to ease the subject's transition into the singular entity that Lilith/Rei embodies. I guess I just wondered why he only appears for that short amount of time (after which, incidentally, Shinji's ego border vanishes and he enters complementation, as far as I've been able to tell), and then is not seen again until near the very end, as Shinji's on his way out of Complementation. One could easily shoot that theory full of holes, but I was always under the impression that if Adam's soul wasn't in Complementation, then Kaworu wouldn't have been either...and I can't think of evidence that Adam's soul gets into the act in any other way that through the embryo...though there's not much evidence that it does so that way either.

Hope I'm not too far off the beaten path here...if you'd rather I take this elsewhere, I could start a new topic, I suppose...

Originally posted on: 27-Feb-2004, 18:44 GMT

RahOtaku [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby RahOtaku [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:52 am

Kaworu does not need to have "the soul of the 17th Angel" in order to be the 17th Angel.-Sharpkun-

As you wish, I'm not here to invade your beliefs. You do have cognitive autonomy and believe what you want.

However, the sources of Life themselves are also called Angels. As Evident with Adam being Called the 1st Angel.

Adam is a Source of life and did not come from Adam. That is positive proof, confirmed by all sources.

Adam: The 1st Angel. The giant of light discovered in Antarctica. -Red Cross Book-

Lilith is a Source of life and so like Adam is also named an Angel by the RCB.

Now I've proven that Sources of Life are also called Angels, thus your arguement that Seele randomly names objects Angels becomes effectively misinformation.

Thank you for this conversation Sharpkun, I now know what you believe in and you know what I believe in.

<To> I'll give you a hint. To counter my proof all you have to do is prove how Adam can be an Angel and not come from Adam. Which my theory explains clearly that Sources of Life are also Angels, since Adam is an Angel.

^_^

Originally posted on: 27-Feb-2004, 19:44 GMT

Sharp-kun [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Sharp-kun [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:52 am

RahOtaku wrote:
However, the sources of Life themselves are also called Angels. As Evident with Adam being Called the 1st Angel.

Adam is a Source of life and did not come from Adam. That is positive proof, confirmed by all sources.

Lilith is a Source of life and so like Adam is also named an Angel by the RCB.

Now I've proven that Sources of Life are also called Angels, thus your arguement that Seele randomly names objects Angels becomes effectively misinformation.

Thank you for this conversation Sharpkun, I now know what you believe in and you know what I believe in.

Once again, you have ignored my argument.

I said, and I'll say again, there appear to be 2 designations of "Angel":

1) Beings born of Adam. This is stated in the RCB.

2) What NERV use as convienience. This applies to Lilith and Adam, as well as EVA-03.

RahOtaku wrote:To help your arguement:> I'll give you a hint. To counter my proof all you have to do is prove how Adam can be an Angel and not come from Adam. Which my theory explains clearly that Sources of Life are also Angels, since Adam is an Angel.

Simple. He's called it as part of NERV's great tactic of disinformation.

If Kaworu and Adam are "angels", and Lilith is, then why is Rei not called the "Eleventeenth Angel" or something similar? Afterall, it is said in the series that she is the same as Kaworu. Simple answer is that it would be very hard for NERV to explain to their staff, who are kept in the dark.

The RCB states that Angels are born from Adam. Better yet, SEELE say so themselves

"We will not use Adam or the Angels"

Isn't it interesting though, that they were prepared to use Lilith. Clearly, Lilith is not an angel in the true sense of the word. Also, by your argument, Eva is an Angel, as EVA-03 was called one. Yet they went ahead and used EVA-01 and the EVA-Series. Clearly Lilith and Eva are not Angels
If you can disprove SEELE on this, please do.

Also have you got your proof for 2 souls yet?

Originally posted on: 27-Feb-2004, 22:23 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:52 am

RahOtaku wrote:[[b]Adam is a Source of life and did not come from Adam. That is positive proof, confirmed by all sources.

It's confirmed by logic, actually. Adam most likely was not responsible for his own creation. Unless Adam is like the Christian God and can somehow have three emanations, one of which he was personally responsible for... But I'm not going to touch that dogma with a 50-meter long stick. (I'll just poke it a little with a somewhat longer one.)

Of course, you could have just made a typo and I'm babbling nonsense.

I don't recall any of us suggesting that SEELE's naming of the angels is at all "random". There is a very big difference between "random" and "being based on a scenario they found on tattered old pieces of paper somewhere in the vicinity of the Dead Sea". At least, I thought there was. If you're going to have such a big bone to pick with what we're advocating, you could at least not put stuff into our proverbial mouths.

Sharp-kun wrote:If Kaworu and Adam are "angels", and Lilith is, then why is Rei not called the "Eleventeenth Angel" or something similar?

They would have if not for Pikachu. Image

Originally posted on: 28-Feb-2004, 05:17 GMT

Shin-seiki [ANF]
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby Shin-seiki [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:52 am

HeWhoPostsStuff wrote:Thanks to Sharp-Kun and Shin-Seiki for the insights...all these incorrect translations and inconsistencies and such...yeesh, a newbie like me doesn't have a snowball's chance of knowing what the heck is going on. Image A few loose ends to tie up though, if you'll suffer me anyways...

As far as Rei not being labeled an Angel, if it's Nerv who determines what gets labeled an "angel" and what doesn't, then methinks it's understandable that they wouldn't put her on the "roster," seeing as Gendo wanted to keep Rei's true nature secret from Seele, in order to keep his personal scenario a secret...that's about the best idea I can come up with for that. As for whether Adam or Lilith was found first, I was always under the impression that Lilith was the first one discovered, for some reason...if she came after Adam, then she would have to have been found sometime between 2000 and 2004, when Yui vanished into Unit-01...I just find it a tad unlikely that Nerv was able to make such rapid advances in understanding exactly what the nature of the angels are (to the point of being able to clone them anyways) without some prior discovery before that...I could be wrong though, I guess that the official bit that Adam was the "second" angel just won't get itself outta my head very easily...

In terms of the Kaworu thing, methinks it's more or less confirmed that he (more specifically, Adam's soul) are in the Complementation equation someplace, but oy, the vagueness here has led to some nasty debates, from what I've seen...I was actually a little skeptical that the "GNK" that we see in EoE is "real" in the sense that "GNR" is...I saw him sort of as part of the equation that during 3I "Kaworu is to Shinji what Ritsuko is to Maya": neither are "actually" there, but they're the images that appear to ease the subject's transition into the singular entity that Lilith/Rei embodies. I guess I just wondered why he only appears for that short amount of time (after which, incidentally, Shinji's ego border vanishes and he enters complementation, as far as I've been able to tell), and then is not seen again until near the very end, as Shinji's on his way out of Complementation. One could easily shoot that theory full of holes, but I was always under the impression that if Adam's soul wasn't in Complementation, then Kaworu wouldn't have been either...and I can't think of evidence that Adam's soul gets into the act in any other way that through the embryo...though there's not much evidence that it does so that way either.

Hope I'm not too far off the beaten path here...if you'd rather I take this elsewhere, I could start a new topic, I suppose...
I put together a little montage of images from D&R and Ep26' to illustrate (again) a favorite theme of mine, which is Anno's technique of using visual concurrences to establish a thematic connection between scenes, as a subtle hint to the audience to 'connect the dots' and grasp certain ideas that aren't necessarily spelled out otherwise. In this case, the idea is, essentially, "Adam = Kaworu".

The shot of Adam's hands from the 2I sequence in D&R, the shot of Gendou's hand in Ep26', and the shot of Kaworu's hands a bit later in Ep26', are all three similar in the way the hand(s) glide ponderously across the screen with a sort of slo-mo effect, and the connection between the Adam/D&R shot, and the Kaworu/Ep26' shot is especially obvious in that there is a similar 'whoosh' effect in the soundtrack (sort of like Darth Vader breathing). If you watch all three scenes one after the other the connection is pretty obvious, IMO; moreso than might be apparent from just looking at the screencaps...

A pet peeve of mine is the idea that, when we see Kaworu in this scene in Ep26', this is merely Rei presenting herself as Kaworu for Shinji's benefit; I think that totally misses the point of the shots that show GNR with two[/u] heads annd torsos (i.e. Rei and Kaworu). To me, this is obviously intended to communicate the idea that Rei/Lilith and Kaworu/Adam are both simultaneously present... If Anno wanted us to think that Rei was was simply appearing to Shinji as Kaworu, he would just show her morph into Kaworu (sort of like the way he shows Rei morph into 'Yui' for Fuyutsuki in the 3I scene later), without gaining a whole new head and body...

I'm gratified to see that you've grasped that Shinji does, in fact, lose physical form inside the entry plug again in Ep26'; this is a rather important point that some people seem to fail to get, which leads some to propose heretical nonsense, such as the 'theory' I've seen put forth by certain clueless individuals that Shinji (and Asuka) somehow evade 3I, and that is why they're still around at the end of EoE. Image

Originally posted on: 29-Feb-2004, 17:08 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Shin-seiki wrote:I put together a little montage of images from D&R and Ep26' to illustrate ... the idea ... "Adam = Kaworu".

Ooo... Very nice. I'd never noticed the connection between the "Adam Hands" and "GNK Hands". (HWPS is the first person I've seen to actually use 'GNK'... Congratulations! By spontaneously creating a new acronym, you've unwittingly baptised yourself into this motley crew, Huggy-Bears! Image Now there's NO turning back. :evilImage But now that you point it out... Heck, we wouldn't have even needed them to tell us that Kaworu has Adam's soul! The visual vocabulary you're so good at reading, Shin-seiki, would have more than sufficed.

there is a similar 'whoosh' effect in the soundtrack (sort of like Darth Vader breathing).

I went ahead and made recordings (from the domestic DVDs, not the Renewal rips; I can't get the movie OGMs to play on my poor comp) so that we can compare the sounds easily.

#21 - Adam SE
DEATH - Adam SE
#26' - Kaworu SE

Poy-sonally, I think the Adam SE sounds more like weird breathing than the #26' one. (Sounds kind of like the strange panting Yui-sama was doing in #19, IMO. Makes sense, given Adam and EVA-01 are -- arguably -- related. Image) Do they sound more similar in the Renewal audio?

(Though, this idea of Anno giving us clues on an audio basis has given me some evil thoughts for another thread...)

...the shots that show GNR with two[/u] heads annd torsos (i.e. Rei and Kaworu). To me, this is obviously intended to communicate the idea that Rei/Lilith and Kaworu/Adam are both simultaneously present...

The odd thing is that GNR appears only *briefly* as this "Uber-Rei-Kaworu-Lilith-Adam Conglomeration". Technically, GNR is such a conglomeration from the very beginning, but she only visually affirms this Lilith/Adam fusion for that one scene. Any idea what this signifies?

I'm gratified to see that you've grasped that Shinji does, in fact, lose physical form inside the entry plug again in Ep26'; this is a rather important point that some people seem to fail to get

Embarassingly enough, I only grasped it once you pointed it out, Shin-seiki... -o-; [HWPS, you've gotta give yourself more credit! You're not the totally perceptionless n00b you seem to think you are. Image]

Originally posted on: 29-Feb-2004, 19:59 GMT

Sharp-kun [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Sharp-kun [ANF] » Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:52 am

Reichu wrote:(Though, this idea of Anno giving us clues on an audio basis has given me some evil thoughts for another thread...)

Would it involve the sound EVA-01 makes when it refuses Rei in Ep 19? Image

Originally posted on: 01-Mar-2004, 08:03 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Sharp-kun wrote:Would it involve the sound EVA-01 makes when it refuses Rei in Ep 19? Image

Hey-yeah, I forgot about that one! :makes recording for other thread: You da man, Sharp-kun!

Originally posted on: 01-Mar-2004, 08:06 GMT

Return to “AnimeNation Archive”