My Eva journal or something.

Notable old Evangelion threads from the AnimeNation Forums are preserved here.

Moderators: Monk Ed, Ornette

C_U_P [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby C_U_P [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:38 pm

I'm going to watch Neon Genesis Evangelion in it's entirety. So I was thinking, i'll just out up a little journal or something and post my thoughts on each episode and stuff. The copies i'm watching are, as far as I can tell, the Japanese remastered editions with 5.1 audio and subtitles. Is this basically the same as Platinum editions? I can't find the info on the various different Japanese and English releases anywhere. I also want to make sure that I have everything. (NOT EDITED TO COVER UP MY LACK OF HAVING THE SERIES)
--------------------------

EPISODE 1 NOTES: This episode was very typical of a super-robot show. It has the usual formula of "reluctant kid gets forced by his neglecting parent to fight in a big machine to save the earth from big invincible stompy thing." Nothing was really outstanding to me, aside from the awesome first piece of BGM, the opening, and the awesome animation. I've read about how this show had no budget, and how GAINAX was taking a lot of shorcuts in the animation. This is not budget animation. Everything is detailed and fluid. I find it funny that suck a well-loved series has such a typical and average first episode. I'm sure it'll get better though.

Originally posted on: 25-Apr-2005, 15:05 GMT

OMF [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby OMF [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:38 pm

Don't be too quick to dismiss!

I recently introduced a friend to Evangelion. I had to bite my lip for a few days while he watched it, but when he was finished i just had to ask him for his first impressions on key scenes. I really interrogated him for a while, wanting to know his inital feelings about the series, characters, events etc. I really wanted to know what impressions and misconceptions he had. It was quite enlightening. I think someone's very first impressions of each scene are actually often more accurate than later interpreations. From the mouths of babes so to speak.

Have you ever watched Evangelion before C_U_P? I think reading a newbies inital thoughts could be a very illuminating expierience.

Originally posted on: 25-Apr-2005, 15:20 GMT

C_U_P [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

OMF wrote:Have you ever watched Evangelion before C_U_P? I think reading a newbies inital thoughts could be a very illuminating expierience.

Never. I'm not even much of an anime fan. I also take things completely literal. I make a habit of not writing things into shows and I don't obsess over symbolism, which a lot of fans of this show seem to do.

Originally posted on: 25-Apr-2005, 15:24 GMT

Shin-seiki [ANF]
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby Shin-seiki [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:38 pm

C_U_P wrote:I'm going to watch Neon Genesis Evangelion in it's entirety. So I was thinking, i'll just out up a little journal or something and post my thoughts on each episode and stuff. The copies i'm watching are, as far as I can tell, the Japanese remastered editions with 5.1 audio and subtitles. Is this basically the same as Platinum editions? I can't find the info on the various different Japanese and English releases anywhere. I also want to make sure that I have everything. I have the entire series, Death, Rebirth, and End of Evangelion.

Are these in Japanese only? It sounds like you have Renewal, the remastered edition released in Japan about two years ago, which is the basis for ADV's Platinum Edition that just came out over here. Renewal includes:
Vol 1: 01-04
Vol 2: 05-08
Vol 3: 09-12
Vol 4: 13-16
Vol 5: 17-20
Vol 6: On Air 21-22, Video Version (i.e. the "Directors' Cut") 21'-22'
Vol 7: On Air 23-24, Video Version 23'-24'
Vol 8: 25-26
Vol 9/10 Death (True^2); 25' (Air), 26' (Magokoro Kimi Ni) [25'+26'=End of Evangelion]

The Box Set of Renewal also includes an Extras disc.

The Platinum Edition released by ADV does not include the movies Death & Rebirth and End of Evangelion, because they were licenced to Manga Entertainment (which has not made any announcement regarding doing a "Renewal" version of the movies)

Sounds like you have it all; be sure to watch the Directors' Cut episodes (21'-24'), when you get to that part.

To answer your question, sure, we'd be interested to hear your first impression of the series as you work your way thru it... Image

Originally posted on: 25-Apr-2005, 15:33 GMT

OMF [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby OMF [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:38 pm

OK then.
Watch the series. I don''t really think there's a need to watch Death and Rebirth just yet. Watch End of Evangelion after the series. Be warned, will wreck head!

Keep a journal. I for one will be facinated to read it. If anything ever strikes you as you watch an episode then be sure to let us know. We'll keep spoilers to nothing while you post. Don't let it be a chore though. You don't have to write up after every episode.

Anything really. I think this is a good idea. Your literal mind might be better at spotting the director's initial intentions than our clouded with metaphor thoughts! Image. Remember, if anything strike you as odd, wierd, interesting, funny etc. let us know.

Most importantly! If you ever have a "Was that what I think it was?" moment, put it in!. And with that, I leave you to your noble quest.

Originally posted on: 25-Apr-2005, 15:33 GMT

C_U_P [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Well I have seen the first 3 episodes. But that was a while back, and all I remember thinking about it was what the Evas were. I saw one of the Angel's faces on the front of Eva-01's face after the armor breaks off, so as far as I can guess, the Evas are closely connected to the Angels, if not Angels themsleves.

EDIT: Episodes 22-24 are "Director's Cut," so it sounds like I have the Renewal versions from Japan. I don't know if the copies of the movies I have are or not though.

Originally posted on: 25-Apr-2005, 15:38 GMT

Gundampilotspaz [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Gundampilotspaz [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:39 pm

OMF wrote:Don't be too quick to dismiss!

I recently introduced a friend to Evangelion. I had to bite my lip for a few days while he watched it, but when he was finished i just had to ask him for his first impressions on key scenes. I really interrogated him for a while, wanting to know his inital feelings about the series, characters, events etc. I really wanted to know what impressions and misconceptions he had. It was quite enlightening. I think someone's very first impressions of each scene are actually often more accurate than later interpreations. From the mouths of babes so to speak.

I also just finished watching the series with a friend of mine. I aidded him though the parts and that allowed him to really interperate the later parts. I didn't hand everything to him but I allowed him to use his own thoughts with my aid and he understood the show well, or as well as anyone seeing it for the first time.

Originally posted on: 25-Apr-2005, 16:25 GMT

Joeshie [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Joeshie [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:39 pm

I would also enjoy reading the initial impressions of Evangelion by a newcomer. Sometimes it takes a newbies view to find the right answer, rather than resorting to closer detail.

I say go for it. Image

Originally posted on: 25-Apr-2005, 17:57 GMT

Mr. Tines [ANF]
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:39 pm

OMF wrote:Keep a journal. I for one will be facinated to read it. ... Anything really. I think this is a good idea.

Seconded. I wish I could go back and tell myself to take notes while I was watching.

Originally posted on: 25-Apr-2005, 18:09 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:39 pm

The biggest thing I can remember about my first viewing is that I didn't have a clue what was going on.

Originally posted on: 25-Apr-2005, 18:11 GMT

MagicianCamille [ANF]
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby MagicianCamille [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:39 pm

Go for it CUP, it should be interesting.

(Line deleted as post it was referring to was deleted)

Originally posted on: 25-Apr-2005, 19:12 GMT

tenaciousM [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby tenaciousM [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:39 pm

I like this idea. I wish I did something like this when I first watched Evangelion, so that I could go back and see how naive I was.

Originally posted on: 25-Apr-2005, 19:28 GMT

Treize X [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Treize X [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:39 pm

Reichu wrote:The biggest thing I can remember about my first viewing is that I didn't have a clue what was going on.

Biggest things I remember during my first time watching were:

1) The EVAs. Image
2) The battles.

I came up with this formula to determine the reason why I was obsessed with Eva...

K + H^9 = O

K- Kaworu
H- Harpies
O- Obsession

Originally posted on: 25-Apr-2005, 21:03 GMT

OMF [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby OMF [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:39 pm

Careful! No spoilers in thread!
Though admittedly, the above comments is cryptic enough to get away with it.

Originally posted on: 25-Apr-2005, 21:14 GMT

C_U_P [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby C_U_P [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:39 pm

I just finished episode 1, i'm putting the notes in the first post.

Originally posted on: 25-Apr-2005, 21:21 GMT

The Eva Monkey [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:39 pm

C_U_P wrote:I don't give jack if you read it. I just wanted somewhere to put my opinions and thoughts on the show. And I didn't feel like browsing around a spoiler-filled Eva-fanboy's website to find out this release crap.

I'm sorry, but as I've come to find, I was born without a sense of tact. Nevertheless, it was an honest question. Why should we care what you have to say? We were all new to Eva at one point too, we know what it was like the first time through. Why are you special to the point where you can come here and tell us something about Eva?

But, if you want to make this personal.... well.... you suck at life.

Originally posted on: 25-Apr-2005, 21:35 GMT

Magami No ER [ANF]
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Magami No ER [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:39 pm

How are any of US special wth are commentary? Who cares about it? Image Well, there's enough people in this world to find someone who would care, same goes for this. People have the right to post they're thoughts on something, it's just not usually done on forums.(But it is in the NGE one, mostly for the commentary)

Originally posted on: 25-Apr-2005, 21:38 GMT

C_U_P [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby C_U_P [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:39 pm

I just look at things differently than an average anime fan. It should also be mentioned that I am a practicing Christian, so I should be able to clear up many of the supposed symbols in the show. I'm not doing this for anyone else. I just thought some of you would be interested in the remarks of a totally unbiased, open-minded person who has never seen the show before and knows nothing about it.

Originally posted on: 25-Apr-2005, 21:42 GMT

Magami No ER [ANF]
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Magami No ER [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:40 pm

I would love that, as I had the displeasure of watrching the series horribly out of order.
Don't be discouraged. Image

Originally posted on: 25-Apr-2005, 21:47 GMT

MagicianCamille [ANF]
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby MagicianCamille [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:40 pm

The Eva Monkey wrote:But, if you want to make this personal.... well.... you suck at life.

Wasn't there a board game called Life?

Originally posted on: 25-Apr-2005, 21:48 GMT

Return to “AnimeNation Archive”