Kaworu's Purpose/Nature...

Notable old Evangelion threads from the AnimeNation Forums are preserved here.

Moderators: Monk Ed, Ornette

HeWhoPostsStuff [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby HeWhoPostsStuff [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:37 pm

After going off on a mini-tangent about everyone's favorite "(Semi-)Human Pez Dispenser" in another thread, Reichu suggested that I create a topic about it, since the subject apparently hasn't come up in awhile...so, er, here it is. And don't worry, this has nothing to do with the endless arguments about "Who's Gay in Tokyo-3?"

In any case, the core of the debate was exactly why Seele created Kaworu, and exactly what they sent him out to do. At first I always thought that it was pretty obvious, they'd sent him to try to set off third impact, but of course, after being around here for awhile, there are no certainties left. Image But anyways, here are a few points about him that I thought it might be enlightening to hear thoughts on from you guys...for one thing, I wonder whether he was sent by Seele simply as a response to the defeat of the 16th Angel, or rather as a response to their discovery of the nature of Rei Ayanami.

To address the first possibility, Seele, of course, bases their plans off of the Dead Sea Scrolls, which predict the coming of 17 "Angels," which mankind must overcome to avoid being wiped out: thus, Seele could have simply sent Kaworu to Nerv on a veritable suicide mission to cpmplete the equation. However, there are possible problems with this...first of all, of course, if an Angel making contact with Lilith is all that's needed to set 3I off, Kaworu could have easily done it...if Seele had only sent him there to die, it was very lucky that he decided not to go through with pulling the "trigger." To throw even more of a monkey wrench into the gears, according to the New Production Cuts, Seele explained to Kaworu exactly where Adam was, and as such he should not have been especially surprised when the being that he was (apparently) drawn to was not Adam, but Lilith instead. In any case, if Seele didn't actually intend for Kaworu to set 3I off, then they must have been banking on his emotional makeup, or lack thereof, to cause him to hold back in the end, much as Gendo hopes that Rei has been conditioned enough to follow his orders to the finish. Of course, Rei has a nasty little surprise for him in the end, which leads me into the second possibility...

The other possibility is that Kaworu was created as a foil for Rei, whom Gendo planned to use as his "trump card" to give him at least some control over how 3I would progress, the same type of ability, perhaps, that Shinji ends up getting in the end. As such, Kaworu would not have been sent by Seele to die, but rather to, indeed, initiate 3I right then and there, in whatever manner Seele might have wished. Of course, this would have to mean that Kaworu setting off 3I via Lilith would have a different effect than that of another Angel doing it, seeing as Seele has been supporting Nerv's fight against the Angels up until that point. This calls into question what Kaworu means when he tells Shinji "erase me, or you will all be erased": does he mean "erased" simply by losing his individuality, as 3I does to humanity in EoE, or something completely different? For the idea of Seele sending Kaworu with the intention of setting off 3I to work, methinks it'd have to be the former...and if that's the case, then in the end Kaworu chose to betray Seele for Shinji's sake, in much the same manner as Rei ended up doing to Gendo. However, either way Seele still "wins," since the defeat of the final "Angel" gives them the go-ahead to invade Nerv and initiate 3I via the Eva series instead.

I would suppose that the basic questions here are, in light of the above, 1) Was Kaworu created as a response to Armisael's defeat, or Rei's resurrection? 2) Did Seele intend for him to go through with starting Third Impact? and 3) Depending on the answer to the previous question, did Kaworu betray Seele in the end, or play right into their hands? Other details present themselves, of course, but methink that those are the main things that I've been wondering about...any insight from anyone else would be interesting to hear, methinks.

Also, to go WAY the heck out on a limb, I've also had a nagging thought in the back of my head about Kaworu's origins...if, as he claims, he's "just like" Rei, insofar as he is an artificial body with the soul of another being implanted in him, the series, as far as I know, is silent on whose body, if any, he's based on (as Rei is based on Yui). I had a wacky idea about that though...has anyone ever had the idea that his physical body could be based off of Kaji? There really isn't any evidence to support such a notion, but I figured that it could be a possibility, that Seele decided to utilize Kaji's remains for their own ends after he was disposed of...I just sort of drew a parallel with the easygoing manner that both Kaji and Kaworu carry, the same lazy, amiable look that they usually have in their faces, not to mention their affinity with Shinji. It's probably a silly idea, but I figured that one of you might as well tell me so officially. Image

In any case, that's about all I have to spew forth at this point in time, if anyone has anything to add, by all means toss it on up here.

Originally posted on: 16-Mar-2004, 23:26 GMT

NakedEYE666 [ANF]
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby NakedEYE666 [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:37 pm

For the Kaji idea, it makes sense but I don't think it's possible since Kaji died only shortly before Kaworu's appearence. They might be able to artificially age, but can they do it so much so quickly? It'd seem fishy to me. Maybe Kaworu was made off of Keel Lorenz... but whoever he was made from they probably fiddled with his genes to make him healthy.

As for Kaworu's mission, I'm inclined to beleive he was sent by Seele to die. I can't imagine Seele sitting around saying "Hey, guess what, Rei's got Lilith's soul! We can't be outdone by that pimp Gendou, we've got to harvest Adam's soul! Mwahaha!" It is possible that Kaworu was engineered as the instigator of the Third Impact like Rei was, but that still leaves the 17th angel. If the death of the 17th angel wasn't a requirement, I'd think Gendou might take some action upon his arrival. Ofcourse, if Kaworu is just a vessel like Rei, and doesn't have any special angelic abilities, would he need Lilith's soul. or adam's body aswell? Maybe Kaworu did mean "erased" in the Third Impact sese, it's quite possible, but I remember the Third impact always being called by two names - The "destructive 3rd Impact" and the "constructive 3rd Impact" though this isn't a canon distinction.

Originally posted on: 16-Mar-2004, 23:44 GMT

Lord Kuroishi [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Lord Kuroishi [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:37 pm

In my words, it doesn't matter what SEELE truly indended Kaworu to do. It's a win/win situation for them, anyway. But if I had to choose, I'd say they were counting on him to initiate 3I. After all, at that time their Eva series hasn't been completed yet.

As for the Kaji idea, what have they got you on and where can I get some?

Originally posted on: 16-Mar-2004, 23:54 GMT

HeWhoPostsStuff [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Good points, but that brings us back to exactly what defines an "Angel": if I remember right, Nerv is the one that decides what to label an "Angel" and what not to. After all, if Rei's just like Kaworu, why didn't she figure into the "list" someplace? Namely, because Nerv didn't want Seele to know about her, and thus kept her true identity under wraps as long as they could. I was always under the impression that the term "Angel" (or "Shito", or whatever) was rather subjective, depending on what kind of purpose the term served for the one giving it out...heck, even think about the Dead Sea Scrolls. They told mankind of Adam and Lilith and the Angels, apparently, but in the end it was mankind's decision to even set the process in motion (by seeking after Adam and utilizing him for their own purposes) in the first place. Methinks that mankind's decisions on how things play out has more of an effect on things than the "prophecies" in the Scrolls do...as Gendo remarks, after Seele panics after the disappearance of the Nevada branch, the Scrolls don't spell out everything. A lot of that is speculation, but I'm sure others have clearer evidence to offer, either for or against...

Then again, as for Kaworu's purpose, when one mentions Kaworu's "death," maybe that meant his fusing himself with Lilith after all...if I can recall Reichu's Rei thread, there's evidence that she herself was afraid of becoming one with Lilith, for after that she would, more or less, refuse to exist as an individual entity. It's the same kind of "death" that befalls mankind in EoE: no one's really "snuffed out," but individual forms no longer exist. Maybe the "death" of the Angels could mean either that, or the more "traditional" death...as for Seele's attitude on the whole thing, I see a very good reason for them to desire to have their own "catalyst" for setting off 3I, seeing as Gendo, through Rei, could toss their whole scenario out the window by taking control of the process for his own personal gain. Methinks that they could have sent Kaworu in to take care of starting 3I "their way," before Gendo had the chance to do it "his way." Even look at Gendo's attitude towards the whole thing: he doesn't immediately get Rei and try to get 3I going as soon as Kaworu expires, but only does so when Seele commences their attack: thus, now HE wants to get it done "his way" before the other side can do so.

As for what souls and relics and such are needed to get 3I started, I don't think there's ever been anything conclusive decided on that, but you do bring out a good point, that maybe Seele sent Kaworu there with the mission to initiate 3I, but they knew that he couldn't do so as he was, and thus was indeed, more or less, on a suicide mission. Then again, you'd think that if anyone would know what he was capable of as an Angel, it'd be himself, and that he wouldn't have accepted the mission in the first place...unless he had some sort of ulterior motive. There's not much evidence for that though...I always thought that he made the decision to let Shinji pop his top right at the very end...once more, though, just a guess. Not to mention that Gendo seems pretty eager to stop him, regardless...

Good points, keep 'em coming. Image

EDIT: Kuroishi: the stuff I'm on, you can't get that stuff unless you're born with it (as I was, heh) flowing through every vein in my body, whatever it is. Image

Originally posted on: 17-Mar-2004, 00:07 GMT

tv33 [ANF]
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby tv33 [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:37 pm

Kaworu says...

Kaoru: Now, please erase me.
Otherwise you will be erased.
The life that escapes the time of annihilation,
and that obtains the future, is only one.

This to me means that if Kaworu initiates 3I humanity will die. And not in the death of self way, as he said, the one who obtains the future is only one.

Also Keels says…

Kihl: Ikari, you were our good friend and brother, sharing the same
purpose; our collaborator who understood us.
This is the last job.
We hope you complete it, with Unit One.

He was planning on Gendo taking out Kaworu. Gendo's job is to destroy the angels and he says "This is your last job".

Originally posted on: 17-Mar-2004, 00:15 GMT

HeWhoPostsStuff [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Ah, now there's the hard evidence that I was hoping would pop up. Image Well spotted on the second comment especially...though I suppose it's still up for debate whether Kaworu knew that he was going to die from the beginning or not, and thus whether he "betrayed" Seele in the end, though in reality he didn't really have much say in what happened to him.

The first comment's still somewhat debatable though...when Kaworu makes reference to the "time of annihilation," I can only assume that he means 3I...I can't think of much else that he could mean. Thus, methinks that if a "regular" Angel managed to set off 3I and get the Tang flowing, then those Angels would have been the ones to "survive" that day...of course, since Kaworu's partially human, he would have somehow been assimilated into it, so he wouldn't have had they opportunity to "survive" as the other Angels might have. Thus, when he fully grasps the situation, he realizes that whatever happens he will cease to exist, and since all of the other Angels have been killed in the "classic" way, he decides to give humanity the chance to live instead, seeing as, even if he'd decided to try to make 3I happen (which might have been impossible in the first place), he, as the last Angel, would more or less spell the end of that "family." Of course, in the end mankind decides to set off 3I anyways, but hey, the ball's in their court now...

Again, I'm just speculating, but I figured I might as well at least try to keep the ball rolling. Nice interjection, though, Mr. 33. Image

Originally posted on: 17-Mar-2004, 00:43 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:37 pm

I don't think the series ever really covered how/why humanity would be extinquished if an angel made contact with Adam. Why do some of the angels even want to return to Adam in the first place? What do they gain by it? SEELE wanted to achieve divinity by using Lilith and returning to the Black Moon, but would the same work for the angels? Compared to us lowly mortals, they already ARE gods -- or in the very least, extremely god-like.

I'm currently of the opinion that Kaworu has been around for a while. Certainly, I don't think he was created when SEELE found out about Rei's nature, and there's a rather good reason for this -- he's got Adam's soul! Adam's body -- what's left of it, anyway -- hasn't been in SEELE's clutches since before episode #08; logically, his soul was "salvaged" before then. When exactly Kaworu was created is still subject to debate, I think; him being "born" on the day of Second Impact feels problematic. There was so much shiznat going on with the contact experiment between Adam's S^2 and the LoL, how the heck did the Katsuragi Team manage to spawn a human body off Adam's own and "salvage" his soul into it? I have a hard time believing that all of the stuff shouted out right before 2I has ANYTHING to do with Kaworu's genesis, but correct me if I'm wrong.

Assuming he is a clone of somebody, I don't think it really matters who, any more than the identity of Kaji's [spoilers omg!!!!] killer makes any real difference. Presumably, the donor was Japanese -- "Nagisa Kaworu" IS a Japanese name, after all. Possibly, it could have been someone from the Katsuragi Team -- maybe (gasp!) Katsuragi-hakase himself! The most you ever see of Misato's dad (his face, anyway) is his chin and mouth, so who really knows.

Just to share an inkling I had... Why bother to put the soul of the progenitor of angels into a human body and then send him to his death? Perhaps it's just SEELE's way of putting the icing on the cake. They've been systematically slaughtering (via NERV) Adam's kids because "there's only enough room on this planet for one of us, Pilgrim". As if depriving Adam of all his power by embryo-izing him wasn't bad enough, what better way to really drive the message home by making him live as one of his kind's rivals before finally taking him out? It seemed to work pretty well, since not only did Adam/Kaworu deem Lilith's spawn the worthier to live, he continued to associate himself with his false Lilim body even after he got his head popped off.

Oh well... Even though one Adam failed, there are others who don't have to worry about getting their heads handed to them by Black Moon trash. Image

Originally posted on: 17-Mar-2004, 01:14 GMT

tv33 [ANF]
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby tv33 [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:38 pm

Reichu wrote:Assuming he is a clone of somebody, I don't think it really matters who,

Didn't we already figure out that is was Keel Lorenz's dead lover? Image

It would be a nice connation, Rei being a clone of Gendo's long lost lover and all...

Originally posted on: 17-Mar-2004, 01:46 GMT

HeWhoPostsStuff [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby HeWhoPostsStuff [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:38 pm

Some more interesting thoughts here...you're probably right about Kaworu having been created some time before Seele figured out who Rei really was, seeing as they had to put Adam's soul SOMEplace...unless they kept it somewhere else before Kaworu came along, but that's pretty unlikely, methinks. As for the Katsuragi idea, methinks that now both of us are due for a "Image" or two from Sharp-Kun whenever he comes back here. Image

Your final paragraph got me thinking (or some facsimile thereof) again, though...it does seem odd for Seele to send Adam's soul right on over to Nerv, with the intention of having the carrier disposed of...almost seems like they're delivering it right into their hands on purpose (though it's still up for debate whether Gendo actually made use of Adam's soul when he tried to get 3I going). Could it be possible that they actually wanted Gendo to attempt 3I on his own, for some reason? Think about it...they've got Unit-01 floating around, surrounded by the -05 series, and then outta nowhere "GNR" crashes the party...Seele doesn't exactly seem very concerned about it. In fact, they don't seem to at all mind when she (via "GNK," incidentally) causes Shinji to lose his physical form and more or less set 3I into motion...heck, once Tang-ification begins, Keel smilingly remarks that "everything is as it should be." Maybe they were using Gendo's ambitions as fodder for their own plans the whole time, and Kaworu (and his "cargo")was almost "bait" to get him to move forward with them? Anyone else have any thoughts on that?

Originally posted on: 17-Mar-2004, 01:48 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:38 pm

tv33 wrote:Didn't we already figure out that is was Keel Lorenz's dead lover? Image

It would be a nice connation, Rei being a clone of Gendo's long lost lover and all...

Image You actually like that theory of mine? Will wonders never cease!

As far as SEELE "wanting" Gendou to carry out 3I... I'd say no. The old codgers were fully opposed to Gendou's plans, but they left him alive for so long because he was useful (why else?). When 3I started going totally bonkers (what with the intervention of GNR and all), they were just making the best of the situation. I figure from SEELE'S perspective, better Gendou's clueless son at the helm than Gendou himself.

Originally posted on: 17-Mar-2004, 03:11 GMT

HeWhoPostsStuff [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby HeWhoPostsStuff [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:38 pm

They definitely aren't a particularly excitable bunch, in that case...they seem to be handling the change of the scenario pretty darn well, all things considered.

"Umm...Lorenz, you seeing this?"

"...you mean the naked chick the size of a Hollywood divorce settlement?"

"No, the OTHER thing that could screw up the entire scenario, genius."

"Er...yeah, I was planning this all along. C'mon, make with the chanting."

"Chanting??? There wasn't ever supposed to be any chanting involved with th-"

"Shhh! Chant now! Or else everything goes kaput!...(whew, looks like they're buying it...)

Reichu wrote:I figure from SEELE'S perspective, better Gendou's clueless son at the helm than Gendou himself.

I can just hear the internal conversation afoot in the Sea o' Tang now...

"'Don't worry, the kid won't screw everything up,' you said. 'It's all good.' Thanks a friggin' lot..."

"'Ohhhh, everything's juuuuust as it should be. Yep, domo arigato, Mister Roboto."

"Yeah, nice goin' there, Lorenz. This is just peachy."

"Pfffft. 'The joy of rebirth...' I knew I shouldn't have voted for you in the office election."

Originally posted on: 17-Mar-2004, 03:48 GMT

Crazy Penguin [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Crazy Penguin [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:38 pm

I've probably missed something big and important here, but why didn't SEELE just shoot Kaworu in the head several times whilst he was sleeping?

Originally posted on: 17-Mar-2004, 04:01 GMT

tv33 [ANF]
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby tv33 [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:38 pm

Reichu wrote:Image You actually like that theory of mine? Will wonders never cease!

Like? No not really, find it interesting and amusing as a theory can be without any evidence to back it up? Indeed!

It also might explain Kaworu's , um, shall we say, unusual curiosity towards Shinji?

Crazy Penguin wrote:I've probably missed something big and important here, but why didn't SEELE just shoot Kaworu in the head several times whilst he was sleeping?

He won them over with his great personality and the old men of SEELE could not bring themselves to ice him. So they were going to make Gendo do their dirty work (As usually), but he almost won over Shinji as well! He is just that appealing.

Originally posted on: 17-Mar-2004, 04:10 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:38 pm

tv33 wrote:He won them over with his great personality and the old men of SEELE could not bring themselves to ice him. So they were going to make Gendo do their dirty work (As usually), but he almost won over Shinji as well! He is just that appealing.

Make way for more stupid dialogues!

KEEL: Alright, boys... We need a new sacrifice against Ikari.
BRITAIN: This sounds familiar... What happened to that faux-blonde chick?
KEEL: Eh, all she did was disintegrate a bunch of nude teenage chicks before she got thrown in the brig. Didn't work out quite as well as planned.
FRANCE: Indeed. You and your lame-@$$ schemes are failing us almost as much as Ikari.
KEEL: Now, Pierre... I know you're a stingy bastard, but don't even think about starting a mutiny. You wouldn't be able to run SEELE even if you wanted to, and you know why? You're not German. You're not an Ubermensch-Cyborg like me. So there.
PIERRE: The French are still better.
KEEL: Whatever. Like I was saying, we need a new sacrifice against Herr Ikari, since he never DID agree to wear that Sebastian Dior cowbell we sent him, and, well, you know how the Ritsuko thing went.
AMERICA: So who is this time?
RUSSIA: Do I get to send my penguins after 'im?
KEEL: This time, we're going for blood.
RUSSIA: So my penguins get to kill someone?
KEEL: No penguins! Forget about the penguins! If I have to hear one more thing about penguins, I'm going to call up Bruce Wayne, you got that?
RUSSIA: Pfft, fine. Though I doubt you have anything more effective than my... sphenisciforms.
KEEL: You bet I DO. :whistles: Oh, Tab-by! Come here, my pet!
(hologram of wan, naked Japanese boy appears)
KAWORU: Yes, Master?
BRITAIN: Oh geez, not your little science project... I know he's part of the scenario, but did you HAVE to make him a clone of--
KEEL: Quiet, twit! You wouldn't understand! You've never fallen in love with the most talented Japanese musician to die a premature death! (sob)
AMERICA (whispers): Can't say *I* have, either.
KEEL: Oh, what wonderful music we played together, Akira and I...!
KAWORU: Erm, excuse me, Sir?
KEEL: (snaps out of his nostalgia) Oh, right, right. Tabris! I want you... (ominous queue plays) ...to seduce Ikari's son!
(all of the SEELE members gasp in horror)
PIERRE: Don't tell me THAT'S part of the scenario...
KAWORU: With all due respect, Sir, what will THAT achieve?
KEEL: More doujinshi than I care to even think about. No one in their right mind would draw yaoi about me, but the effeminate, charismatic, 14-year-old clone of my beloved Akira? Bring it on, baby!
KAWORU: As you wish, Master. (hologram vanishes)
PIERRE: You don't wear that visor because you have a problem with your eyesight, do you, Keel?
KEEL: Mind your own business, froggy.

Erm, that's enough of THAT...

Originally posted on: 17-Mar-2004, 04:41 GMT

Fuzzy Chickens [ANF]
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Fuzzy Chickens [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:38 pm

Given that Kaworu was born on the day of Second Impact, it's nopt terribly likely that he was cooked up in response to the 16th Angel, or anything that occurs in 2015/2016.

Originally posted on: 17-Mar-2004, 09:55 GMT

Shin-seiki [ANF]
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby Shin-seiki [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:39 pm

Fuzzy Chickens wrote:Given that Kaworu was born on the day of Second Impact, it's nopt terribly likely that he was cooked up in response to the 16th Angel, or anything that occurs in 2015/2016.

What he said...(weird tho it feels to type that)
I think you're dismissing the significance of the 'Kaworu born on the day of 2I' bit a little too readily, Reichu; it's just about the only 'fact' concerning his origin that we're given to work with.

Originally posted on: 17-Mar-2004, 17:04 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:39 pm

Shin-seiki wrote:I think you're dismissing the significance of the 'Kaworu born on the day of 2I' bit a little two readily, Reichu; it's just about the only 'fact' concerning his origin that we're given to work with.

I had a feeling you were going to say that. Image I'm only "dismissing" the notion in so much as it doesn't make an iota of sense, far as I can see. Soon as I hear a theory that works, I'll change my tune.

Originally posted on: 17-Mar-2004, 17:07 GMT

Dr. Nick [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:39 pm

HeWhoPostsStuff wrote:it does seem odd for Seele to send Adam's soul right on over to Nerv, with the intention of having the carrier disposed of...almost seems like they're delivering it right into their hands on purpose

Yeah, that is quite odd. If I'm correct, Gendo needs four elements to start his version of instrumentality: Lilith's body, Lilith's soul, Adam's body and Adam's soul. And now Seele delivered the final missing element straight to him...

Seele knows that Gendo is betraying them, but do they know what he's planning to do exactly? I believe so; the old geezers know for sure that Gendo has Adam's body. They know that there's something weird going on with Rei. (Do they know she has Lilith's soul? Were they freaked out because they thought her soul was inside her original body in the basement? I need to watch the series again some time... -o-Image

To contribute something useful to this discussion, I remember hearing a theory like this a long time ago: What if Gendo doesn't need Adam's soul for his version of instrumentality? After all, Kaworu / Adam didn't really seem to have much role in the process when things started getting nude & huge.

Ok, let's assume that Gendo needs only three elements: Lilith's body, Lilith's soul and Adam's body (it supposedly has an S2-organ, and Lilith apparently lacks one). He has them all, but he can't start the instrumentality before the last angel is defeated (hey, you gotta play by the rules).

On the other hand, the geezers of Seele also have their plan B (at least almost) ready, they have the harpies and the fake lances waiting. Things are in a stalemate, because they too need the final angel destroyed before they can start the Grande Finale their way. But the problem is, if they just shoot Kaworu while he's sleeping and the last obstacle is gone, Gendo has an equal chance of starting instrumentality his way. It's a classic duel situation, there's no guarantee who will win. Actually Seele has a worse footing in this scenario, because they need time to capture Eva-01, whereas Gendo already has his elements completely ready.

So what if Seele sent Kaworu to Terminal Dogma to destroy Lilith's body? They hope that Kaworu manages to get his job done, and that he gets killed right after it. That would be a total victory for Seele, they could start the instrumentality their way and Gendo could not do a thing.
If Kaworu were to fail, as happened, it wouldn't be a total loss for Seele. It would just be a speed contest then, who could start the instrumentality first.

Why then did Gendo attach Adam's soul to his body after Kaworu was squished, if he didn't need that element in his plan (I don't believe Adam's soul just flew back to the embryo body)? Well, maybe it wasn't a necessary element, but maybe it would boost things up a bit, like when a car is tuned up by adding a pair of furry dice. Image

Originally posted on: 17-Mar-2004, 18:41 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:39 pm

Some very interesting ideas there, Dr. Nick... Destroying Lilith seems a little extreme, but I suppose by that point SEELE didn't "need" her anymore -- all because of Gendou's little stunt in #22. Though it makes me wonder about a few things.

1) SEELE was producing the harpies and presumably the LoL clones BEFORE the Lance got thrown into orbit -- why? In the event something happened to Lilith or the original Lance?

2) SEELE was originally planning to initiate 3I with Lilith and LoL... so what's the dealio with Lilith getting stuck with the Lance as early as #14? What was the true purpose of this? I'm inclined to think that her legs regrowing was a "bonus", and the Lance was stuck into her for some other reason. Since some of the angels were seeking Lilith rather than Adam, was Gendou perhaps using the "failsafe" function of the Lance, to prevent anything from happening if an angel DID make contact with her?

Still, wouldn't SEELE find it weird that Gendou had the lance put into Lil -- and nothing big and catastrophic happened? Lil's soul is doubtless one of the necessarily ingredients for SEELE's 3I, so wouldn't the fact that the Lance could be safely shoved into Lil's body completely give away, to SEELE, the fact that Lil's soul is somewhere else? Are they really THAT in the dark about Rei?

3) So if Kaworu KNEW that he was going down to roast some marshmallows, why'd he say all this stuff, when he knew no one (except the audience) could possibly be listening?

Adam, our mother being.
Those born from Adam must return to Adam,
even if it means annihilating humanity?
No! It's different.
This is Lilith.
I see. I understand, Lilim.

4) This one's a little off-topic, but... EoE starts with SEELE's "Plan B" version of Instrumentality happening. Any idea how that would have gone, had GNR never intervened? Would Yui have been the one appearing in billions of places at the same time, melting everyone down? Who would channel the souls into the Black Moon (since that's what GNR was busying herself with)?

5) Exactly what IS the deal with NERV and SEELE's penchant for creating dummy plug systems with little wan clone-children with the souls of SoLs?

6) And, er, as Dr. Nick asked, why'd Gendou bother putting Adam's soul back into his body... unless, er, he really DID need it?

Originally posted on: 17-Mar-2004, 19:06 GMT

tv33 [ANF]
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby tv33 [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:39 pm

Good questions Reichu, though I'm afraid I don't know the answers.

But to what Dr. Nick was saying, I don't think SEELE knew Gendo was going to betray them until somewhat late. In episode 20, they say.

Committee A: IKARI Gendo. I'm afraid that we are at fault for
giving him NERV.

Kiel: But, he was the only one who could achieve all our goals.
Ikari, what are you thinking?

Then in episode 21, (In 2015)

Kihl: The creation of a God is not allowed.

Some Seele: I will not allow him to have a God.
Ikari Gendou, can we trust you?

In episode 23

Seele: Ikari, are you going to betray Seele?

This even after he got rid of the Lance, they are still not sure. It was not until episode 24 that they set him up for his “last job”.

Give all of this; I don't think they were planning a way to beat Gendo, they thought he was on their side until almost the end. They might have had a contingency plan though incase of any unforeseen events, that “Plan B” Reichu talked about.

Originally posted on: 17-Mar-2004, 19:56 GMT

Return to “AnimeNation Archive”