Dr Akagi's suicide

Notable old Evangelion threads from the AnimeNation Forums are preserved here.

Moderators: Monk Ed, Ornette

Ark [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Ark [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:17 pm

How have people interpreted the scene when Rei starts calling Dr Akagi an old hag?

Is that totally an hallucination or is it part Rei's words and part hallucination?

Originally posted on: 26-Jul-2005, 00:44 GMT

Death's Realm [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Death's Realm [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:19 pm

I think it was a hallucination, at that point she had pretty much gone off the deep end.

Originally posted on: 26-Jul-2005, 00:45 GMT

thewayneiac [ANF]
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby thewayneiac [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:19 pm

I'm not sure I completely understand the question. It's plainly not an hallucination that that Dr. Akagi killed Rei I who was sometime later replaced by Rei II.

Could you clarify your question?

If you mean the shot where Rei seems to transform into Yui, I think that's just emphasizing that Naoko has noticed the resemblance, not an hallucination.

Originally posted on: 26-Jul-2005, 01:17 GMT

OMF [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby OMF [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:19 pm

I suppose it could be taken as the halluncinations of Naoko's jealous mind.

Just on another point, are we sure this was a suicide? Did she jump, or was she pushed?

Originally posted on: 26-Jul-2005, 01:20 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:19 pm

There goes Mr. Conspiracy Theory again! You should change your avatar to Kensuke.

For some reason, I feel tempted to dig out Fuzzy Chickens' infamous "Rei didn't die, she just passed out" theorem. Image

Originally posted on: 26-Jul-2005, 01:24 GMT

Death's Realm [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Death's Realm [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:19 pm

OMF wrote:I suppose it could be taken as the halluncinations of Naoko's jealous mind.

Just on another point, are we sure this was a suicide? Did she jump, or was she pushed?

When I first saw that episode, I began to wonder if after Gendo found Rei I's dead body, did he kill Akagi himself? It's possible

Originally posted on: 26-Jul-2005, 01:29 GMT

Ark [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Ark [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:19 pm

What I was really asking was is Rei actually calling Dr Akagi an "old hag".

The aggression with which she does seems rather uncharacteristic of Rei.

Originally posted on: 26-Jul-2005, 01:34 GMT

Soluzar [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Soluzar [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:19 pm

Ark wrote:What I was really asking was is Rei actually calling Dr Akagi an "old hag".

Because she had heard Gendo say the same.

Originally posted on: 26-Jul-2005, 01:35 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:20 pm

And because Rei 1 is not the same as Rei 2. In fact, she is eViL. Children may look innocent, but in truth they are cruel, evil little imps.

Originally posted on: 26-Jul-2005, 01:38 GMT

Ark [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Ark [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:20 pm

Soluzar wrote:Because she had heard Gendo say the same.

Gendo says lots of things to her like "stick the lance of longinus in Lilith". However she shows no interest in mentioning these things to others most of the time. In this case if it isn't a hallucination then why is she being so aggressive?

Originally posted on: 26-Jul-2005, 01:45 GMT

Soluzar [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Soluzar [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:20 pm

Ark wrote:Gendo says lots of things to her like "stick the lance of longinus in Lilith". However she shows no interest in mentioning these things to others most of the time. In this case if it isn't a hallucination then why is she being so aggressive?

You'll notice that although she did not make it explicit, Reichu appears to be in agreement with me. Look, if you want to understand why she said it, I suggest you go hand around with kids. Kids repeat only the most embarrassing things they hear their elders say.

Originally posted on: 26-Jul-2005, 02:10 GMT

OMF [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby OMF [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:20 pm

Ark wrote:Gendo says lots of things to her like "stick the lance of longinus in Lilith". However she shows no interest in mentioning these things to others most of the time. In this case if it isn't a hallucination then why is she being so aggressive?

As Reichu mentioned, there's definitely something different about Rei I, when compared to the later versions. I'll restate a previous assumption that it's down to something in the water!

Originally posted on: 26-Jul-2005, 02:10 GMT

Magami No ER [ANF]
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Magami No ER [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:20 pm

The Akagi's mind was the conection between the image of Rei and Yui's face, telling her she's an old hag Gendo's using.

Rei I and Kaworu both are similar in that they seem to have a much greater understanding of humans(like on ewould expect, having souls of Lilith and Adam. Image) then Rei II and III. This has led me to believe that Kaworu is "the first" (why not?), and that constant reusing of the soul may screw up the body and mind(a la Rei.) You didn't see any medication with Kaworu, now.

Originally posted on: 26-Jul-2005, 02:12 GMT

Headcrab [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Headcrab [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:20 pm

Rei 1 is totally dependent on Gendo so I forgive her for being a little satan baby, other than that, the fact that Akagi wished for Yui's disappearance, "pushed her over the edge"

Originally posted on: 26-Jul-2005, 02:24 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:20 pm

You know Kaworu was chugging pills every time he was off-screen.

I think we are meant to assume that the interchange between Rei and Naoko is very real. When we see Rei 'turn into' Yui, that's shouldn't be taken as really happening -- it was a visual reinforcement of Naoko's earlier observation ("She looks like someone...") and set off the chain of thought that made Naoko snap... She 'saw' Yui mocking her... Yui, the one who remains in Gendo's heart (regardless of where his member goes), telling her of how lowly Gendo thinks of her and how she's just been used this entire time.

Originally posted on: 26-Jul-2005, 02:26 GMT

Magami No ER [ANF]
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Magami No ER [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:20 pm

Even if Kaworu did, it's obvious those pills don't get you high(More like keep you alive as well as your emotions deadened), unless Seele's were somehow...different...for whatever reason. Image

Originally posted on: 26-Jul-2005, 02:31 GMT

Goldarmy [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Goldarmy [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:20 pm

Ark wrote:What I was really asking was is Rei actually calling Dr Akagi an "old hag".

The aggression with which she does seems rather uncharacteristic of Rei.

Because Gendo had ordered her to say that, to eliminate the dear doctor.

Originally posted on: 26-Jul-2005, 15:34 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:21 pm

Yeah, sure. Naoko committing suicide because a little kid called her a baasan is just SUCH an impeccable plan. I mean, 100% guarantee of working!!!

If Gendo wanted to off her, he could have without using a method that lacked any logic whatsoever. I mean, who on Earth believes ve can get someone to commit suicide by sending a kid to call her names? What's even worse is that fans actually believe Gendo would come up with such a scheme or that the creators actually expect the viewers to buy something that silly.

Originally posted on: 26-Jul-2005, 17:11 GMT

Magami No ER [ANF]
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Magami No ER [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:21 pm

How would he know she would kill Rei and then herself? If he did, maybe he wasn't so direct. aybe Rei was in on more of the human mind(like Kaworu) the her next incarnations, and did this herself, based on an order, If we had seen incident Gendo's reaction to this, we mght've known better.

Originally posted on: 26-Jul-2005, 17:13 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:21 pm

For whatever reason, my instinct would be not to read so deeply into this scene...

Although it seems a little curious how Rei takes a sick pleasure in Naoko's reaction.

Originally posted on: 26-Jul-2005, 17:34 GMT

Return to “AnimeNation Archive”