Unit 00 and Naoko Akagi

Notable old Evangelion threads from the AnimeNation Forums are preserved here.

Moderators: Monk Ed, Ornette

BLACKANGEL32076 [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby BLACKANGEL32076 [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:46 pm

Okay, let's get this issue over and done with once and for all. Ritsuko's mother is said have her soul inside of Unit 00. This is based on the times that 00 goes berzerk with Rei in it. I have a bit of a problem with this.

Your thoughts and opinions?

Originally posted on: 15-Oct-2003, 04:38 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:46 pm

So, er, are you arguing FOR or AGAINST the EVA-00/Naoko argument? I really can't tell, from your original post.

Originally posted on: 15-Oct-2003, 04:44 GMT

Shin-seiki [ANF]
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby Shin-seiki [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:46 pm

BLACKANGEL32076 wrote:Okay, let's get this issue over and done with once and for all. Ritsuko's mother is said have her soul inside of Unit 00. This is based on the times that 00 goes berzerk with Rei in it. I have a bit of a problem with this.

Your thoughts and opinions?

That idea is thoroughly discredited, for numerous reasons, for one thing, why would any one put Naoko's soul in an EVA, unless they were planning on using Ritsuko as a pilot?! Hmmm???

Originally posted on: 15-Oct-2003, 04:45 GMT

BLACKANGEL32076 [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby BLACKANGEL32076 [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:46 pm

Personally I'm against the notion, but it's come up so many times in various other sorces, I wanted to clear the air.

As I said one reason for this is due to 00 going berzerk, but this doesn't hold a lot of water for me. I for one think that this had more to do with the Evas just being unstable.

One question does bug me though. Whose soul IS in 00? The best answer to that I've found is its Adam's, but I'm not exactly sure about that one. Can anyone back that up? If not, who IS in there? Also, what sites do you use as sources?

Originally posted on: 15-Oct-2003, 04:56 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:47 pm

Shin-seiki wrote:That idea is thoroughly discredited, for numerous reasons, for one thing, why would any one put Naoko's soul in an EVA, unless they were planning on using Ritsuko as a pilot?! Hmmm???

For the same reason they would use quantum magic to "copy" the soul of a little clone-girl into the poor Eva, I suppose. Image

Just link to that post you made at that other forum on the EVA-00 soul issue, S.S. -- you managed to convert ME with that one, and I'm as stubborn as they get when it comes to changing my ideas on the Evas. (That was a VERY painful conversion to make, but I manage to keep myself happy with my doujinshi fantasy world... Ahh, the Eva yuri couple of Akagi Naoko and Barbara Caraway -- they don't get any cuter. Felineki will back me up on this. :LOL: )

[Blackangel: Psst, her soul is really Rei-001, in case you didn't know... But I still don't think it makes any sense. Damn you, Anno.]

Originally posted on: 15-Oct-2003, 04:58 GMT

Shin-seiki [ANF]
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby Shin-seiki [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:47 pm

BLACKANGEL32076 wrote:One question does bug me though. Whose soul IS in 00? The best answer to that I've found is its Adam's, but I'm not exactly sure about that one. Can anyone back that up? If not, who IS in there? Also, what sites do you use as sources?

Read and learn

Originally posted on: 15-Oct-2003, 05:00 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Shin-seiki wrote:Read and learn

And then... look at these.

--> http://avians.net/rkc/14daughters/fishbowl-zero(dai-pinchi!).jpg
(or http://avians.net/rkc/14daughters/fishbowl-zero.jpg if the above is too disturbing)
--> http://avians.net/rkc/14daughters/mittsu-no-rei.jpg

Originally posted on: 15-Oct-2003, 05:03 GMT

Shin-seiki [ANF]
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Reichu wrote:And then... look at these.

--> http://avians.net/rkc/14daughters/fishbowl-zero(dai-pinchi!).jpg
(or http://avians.net/rkc/14daughters/fishbowl-zero.jpg if the above is too disturbing)
--> http://avians.net/rkc/14daughters/mittsu-no-rei.jpg

You're trying to really mess with the noob's head, aren't you? :boom:

Originally posted on: 15-Oct-2003, 05:10 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Shin-seiki wrote:You're trying to really mess with the noob's head, aren't you? :boom:

Naw -- just emphasizing the point of Today's Lesson. Image (If I wanted to just plain mess with his head, I would have linked to some of my lemon-scented EVA-00/EVA-03 drawings.)

Originally posted on: 15-Oct-2003, 05:13 GMT

BLACKANGEL32076 [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby BLACKANGEL32076 [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:47 pm

Son of a *****!!! Thanks all, especially Shin-seiki. That link you posted was a BIG help, (BTW, noob? Not quite my man). I have yet to see any of the Director's Cut episodes, so I never saw Unit-00 turn into Rei! As for the multiple souls issue, that probably was what threw me the most. Figures Anno would pull somthing like that out of his *** for ***** and giggles.

>Reichu
Eva-00/Eva03 pics? Ugh! Also, your "dai-pinchi" link doesn't work.

Originally posted on: 15-Oct-2003, 05:26 GMT

Shin-seiki [ANF]
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

BLACKANGEL32076 wrote:(BTW, noob? Not quite my man).

No offence intended Image

Originally posted on: 15-Oct-2003, 05:31 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

BLACKANGEL32076 wrote:Eva-00/Eva03 pics? Ugh!

"Ugh"? Not at all! The two are ADORABLE together! Image

Also, your "dai-pinchi" link doesn't work.

Well, that's because ANF was stupid and didn't link to the full filename. ::p Try this.

Originally posted on: 15-Oct-2003, 05:34 GMT

thekillingmantra [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby thekillingmantra [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:47 pm

I've answered all these questions, and more, in my up-coming "Soul of Unit-00" essay, which is nearly finished. I still have to write the rebuttal, and consequent disproval, of the Naoko theory. Can anyone remind me of why people actually believe the Naoko theory? Do they have any substantial evidence to back-up their claims?

Originally posted on: 15-Oct-2003, 10:59 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:48 pm

mantra wrote:I've answered all these questions, and more, in my up-coming "Soul of Unit-00" essay, which is nearly finished. I still have to write the rebuttal, and consequent disproval, of the Naoko theory. Can anyone remind me of why people actually believe the Naoko theory? Do they have any substantial evidence to back-up their claims?

(Aw, do you have to use that awful word, "unit"?)

Anyway, about your questions, I suppose because Naoko is the only alternative -- and some of Zero's behavior seems to make more sense if Naoko's in there. Either way, though, I still don't think a lot of the stuff dealing with poor Zero-chan makes any sense.

Originally posted on: 15-Oct-2003, 13:07 GMT

MDWigs [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby MDWigs [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:48 pm

Well if anything could get me out of my personal world and interested in discussing Eva again then it would have to be an Eva-00 soul query.

The Naoko theory has been around on the net for as long as I have been discussing Eva. I've always had this thought in the back of my mind that it was spawned from one of the video covers (I just love bagging ADV) but I don't think that is the case now.

I was going to actually post my reasoning as to why I don't believe Naoko is a credible candidate, but Shin-seiki has already linked to a good explanation, so I guess I'll just say "I'm back" and leave it at that.

Originally posted on: 15-Oct-2003, 13:33 GMT

Shin-seiki [ANF]
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby Shin-seiki [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:48 pm

Here is that post by Kyrakasa on AnimeBoards that I refered to on another thread. I think she has an interesting take on what Unit 00 might have against Ritsuko: (Of course, Unit 00's target is Ritsuko, not Rei or Gendo)
It's not Naoko... It makes no sense of saying it's Naoko...

Winged Zaku accurately tells you where it lets you know for sure it is Rei's soul...

Shinji: "This smells like Rei"

Asuka: "What?!? Perverted Idiot!!!"

It's Rei's soul... WHY would Naoko Want to kill her daughter... Ritsuko??? Ritsuko says that Eva-00 wanted to kill her for a reason... Anno didn't make Ritsuko say that for no reason. What Anno does has a meaning... And this was to tell us that Rei's soul is in Eva-00

A thing to notice is that Rei's soul is also partly Yui...

Anno ventured into the thoughts of the separation of mind and body... When Yui was cloned... Her body was made anew...

Yet her mind was also in Rei... She kept experiencing motherly affections for Shinji...

So If Rei's soul as you call it is in Eva-00 then Yui's soul is in there as well... You can not separate completely Yui's and Rei's souls... Same as separating the Rei's consciousness...

Think of Jung's Collective unconsciousness... All Rei's are Yui in nature... They all have Yui's original intent to save her son...

So Shinji can surely synch with Eva-00 since Yui allows it... Until Yui saw Ritsuko... And got mad... She got mad because Ritsuko was SCREWING her husband.

That's why Eva-00 atttacked Ritsuko...

That's why Rei-01 was enjoying herself while repeating "That old hag is no use anymore......"

It's the unconscious intent that Rei-01 had from Yui that made her smile while calling Naoko a hag... I mean that would be the least that she would call a woman who's Screwing her husband.

I hope you understand why It is Rei/Yui's soul inside Eva-01.

1. Yui and Rei are connected. They will always be there to protect Shinji. Rei will never forget what Yui has in her mind. Other Rei's will always remember what Prior Rei's have experienced.

2. Yui and Rei hate Ritsuko and Naoko.

3. Misato says that Asuka can't synch with an Eva with Yui/Rei's soul in it... Misato didn't say that just for fun... There was a reason.

4. Naoko died and went splat... She never went through a test experiment where her ego could be absorbed... through the ego barrier...

5. This soul you talk about can also include the consciousness which is the id, Ego, SuperEgo since the barrier is called a Ego Barrier... So when the soul is transfered Anno infers that the consciousness goes with it... and is imbeded into the new vessel...

The vessels are of course Rei, Evangelion, and Kawarou...

I hope all that clears things up...
I'm not as elegant as MDwigs in writing essays but I try my best...

Originally posted on: 15-Oct-2003, 13:48 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

I still find it very hard to believe that Yui could hate anybody -- even someone as lovably loathable as Nao-chan. On the other hand, some of Yui's consciousness DID seem to get passed onto Rei, however the he11 that worked...

Originally posted on: 15-Oct-2003, 13:57 GMT

Dr. Nick [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:48 pm

Reichu wrote:I still find it very hard to believe that Yui could hate anybody -- even someone as lovably loathable as Nao-chan. On the other hand, some of Yui's consciousness DID seem to get passed onto Rei, however the he11 that worked...

Maybe it's some kind of subconscious thing. I believe Yui herself wouldn't hurt anyone - well, anyone human (that "assisted suicide by lover" -thing aside). But Yui is still a human herself, and humans have feelings and urges, both positive and negative ones. I believe she was as pissed as any woman who gets to know that her husband is banging another woman.
But we humans also have this thing called moral that inhibits our negative, destructive feelings and that is why those cheating bastards so often get away with their skulls intact. Yui quite possibly hated Ritsuko, but she didn't crush her because of it (She would have had an uncountable amount of chances to do that, think about all those times Ritz was in the Eva cage, so near, oh so near...).

But if there are just those subconsciuos feelings of hate, without any moral inhibiting them, and these feelings can manifest themselves through a huge bioengineered monster... Can you see where I'm getting at? :evil:

Originally posted on: 15-Oct-2003, 14:25 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Dr. Nick wrote:But if there are just those subconsciuos feelings of hate, without any moral inhibiting them, and these feelings can manifest themselves through a huge bioengineered monster... Can you see where I'm getting at? :evil:

Well, I suppose that might explain where a lot of the anger Yui exhibits during her so-called "berserker" incidents originally came from... Sachiel, Leliel, and Zeruel got to be the whipping boys (or, uh, girls) for the Akagi duo, eh? Image

Good food for thought, at any rate. Yui, insanely saint-like as she is, is still just as human as the rest of us (no matter how much her appearance might change), and I've often thought that EVA-01 is, in a sense, the physical embodiment of her darker side: The pure and civilized woman versus the pitiless, tortured Beast.

The two sides of her taking different form (Lilim vs. Eva) is played around with a bit more in Sadamoto's manga (and is, of course, appreciated greatly by me even though his naked Evas look stupid Image), though that much-talked-about scene in episode 26' is about the only time in the anime we get to see the two Yuis within an earshot of each other. I was going to post these screenshots as a follow-up to your great post in this thread, but, eh, whatever -- in either thread, this is equally off-topic. Image

Ah, Yui. The Yui we know and love. Looking down upon her dear, one-armed hubby with an expression of gentle pity (or, rather, with the same expression she ALWAYS seems to have -- she's kind of creepy that way).

Gendou's tone of voice doesn't change throughout the entire ordeal -- he sounds strangely at peace to me. What with his hyper-thyroid eyes, though, it's hard to tell what he might REALLY be thinking in the above image. He looks upon his wife, who has, off-screen, turned into...

... a dodgily cool-looking, uber-demonic version of her Evangelion self, complete with creepy long nails and an Alien Queen neck. Gendou doesn't seem too phased, though -- isn't this what he wanted, after all?

And maybe, just maybe, this is what YUI secretly wanted, too... The id finally comes through, and she salivates excessively at the thought of giving her unfaithful man his just desserts (errrr... no pun intended).

Who ever said life wasn't fair?

Originally posted on: 15-Oct-2003, 15:32 GMT

Shin-seiki [ANF]
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby Shin-seiki [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:48 pm

Wow, Reichu, great caps; (your screencaps always come out so clean and crisp [jealous]...) I always thought that scene indicated how Yui felt about Gendou's behavior during her 'absence', tho I thought maybe it had more to do with the way he treated Shinji than whom he was sleeping with. Oh well, he gets what coming to him, however you look at it Image

Originally posted on: 15-Oct-2003, 15:54 GMT

Return to “AnimeNation Archive”