What's up with The End of Evangelion?

Notable old Evangelion threads from the AnimeNation Forums are preserved here.

Moderators: Monk Ed, Ornette

Onee Chan [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Onee Chan [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:54 pm

Image Gainax had really turned me off with their final release of the movie the End of Evangelion. Sure, Death and Rebirth was enertaining, but they had to go off and kill Misato! I was hoping that no more of the characters that i'd gotten so close to would meet the fate of third impact ( which scared the heck out of me), but then they go off and nearly kill Asuka! I'm fuming!

Originally posted on: 16-Jan-2006, 08:30 GMT

MagicianCamille [ANF]
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby MagicianCamille [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:54 pm

You're right. They should have sacrificed the script and saved the lives of those characters for the sake of pleasing you. Besides, everyone who died in EoE could come back if they really wanted to anyways, so...yeah..

Originally posted on: 16-Jan-2006, 08:38 GMT

Magami No ER [ANF]
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Magami No ER [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:54 pm

Everyone dies. Now, anyone can come back to life....so..yeah. >.>; proabably save for Rei.
(My god 'm slow at posting, no one had repsonded yet when I started.)
^So...what he said.
And what they said.
V

Originally posted on: 16-Jan-2006, 08:38 GMT

Mr. Tines [ANF]
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:54 pm

Onee Chan wrote:Image Gainax had really turned me off with their final release of the movie the End of Evangelion. Sure, Death and Rebirth was enertaining, but they had to go off and kill Misato! I was hoping that no more of the characters that i'd gotten so close to would meet the fate of third impact ( which scared the heck out of me), but then they go off and nearly kill Asuka! I'm fuming!

How far into EoE have you gone? Have you made it through to the end, yet? You seem to have reached the half-way mark, at least, the end of episode 25' (Air). It's important to ask, because spoilers abound; and it sounds like you haven't yet suffered the final act.

If it looks like - if you think that - the End of the World is coming, you are right. The controversy is what comes next.

Originally posted on: 16-Jan-2006, 08:41 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:54 pm

EoE was the absolute perfect conclusion to NGE. The only things that would have made it better are (1) improved continuity for the Evas, (2) no EGK!!!!, and (3) Yui-sama's armor gets popped off when she merges with the Spear, and she is thus naked for the rest of time.

Originally posted on: 16-Jan-2006, 08:42 GMT

Mr. Tines [ANF]
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:54 pm

Reichu wrote:(2) no EGK!!!!, and (3) Yui-sama

For the newcomer - "EGK" refers to the revised look of EVA-02; and Yui-sama is acknowledging that EVA-01 is actually the incarnate form of Yui Ikari, and thus greatly worthy of our respect.

Originally posted on: 16-Jan-2006, 08:47 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

This thing exists for a reason. Image

EGK (which we need to decide the future of)
Yui-sama

Read ... and learn.

I have a ****-ton of new ones to add, don't I? (And the Gender page needs a SEVERE makeover!)

Originally posted on: 16-Jan-2006, 08:50 GMT

OMF [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby OMF [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:54 pm

The Geektionary is not so much a reference as it is an English-Reichian dictionary.

Ontopic, End of Evangelion is one of the most powerful pieces of cinema ever made.

Originally posted on: 16-Jan-2006, 08:52 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

OMF wrote:The Geektionary is not so much a reference as it is an English-Reichian dictionary.

Uhhh... Have you actually READ the Geektionary, OMF? I be offended by ye! :loads up Uzi:

Originally posted on: 16-Jan-2006, 08:57 GMT

Magami No ER [ANF]
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Magami No ER [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:55 pm

Yeah, she gives credit to those who've made up some of the terms (like EMK)
Although my first one was Bastard Manga Kaworu...>.>;

Originally posted on: 15-Jan-2006, 21:01 GMT

MagicianCamille [ANF]
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby MagicianCamille [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:55 pm

OMF wrote:Ontopic, End of Evangelion is one of the most powerful pieces of cinema ever made.

Not really. I found myself fighting the urge not to fall asleep during it. In the middle of the day. The show should have ended after 24 with on-screen text saying "And things just sort of carried on from there."

Originally posted on: 15-Jan-2006, 21:04 GMT

millinniummany3 [ANF]
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby millinniummany3 [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:55 pm

What's up with EoE? Simply put this was how Evangelion is meant to end, but ran into budget and censorship problems. It is also argueably Anno's revenge on the fans, but even saying there are elements of his revenge (perhaps the biggest sign they got to him is the hate mail that's flashed near the end) does not fly well here. Regardless, to quote many a fan here EoE is one great big motherloving mind ****, especially if you had grown attached to the characters.

Originally posted on: 15-Jan-2006, 21:04 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:55 pm

Magami No ER wrote:Yeah, she gives credit to those who've made up some of the terms (like EMK)
Although my first one was Bastard Manga Kaworu...>.>;

Yeah, but EGK needs a cohort in evil. They work together, you know. So, EMK, EGK. They go together like evil doppelgangers should.

But seriously. I just wrote the thing. (Mostly.) There are some Reichu-isms in there, but, hey, I'm part of this Geekdom, too. The Geektionary is a dictionary of NGE geekdom as we have come to know it. Reichu does things the best way she knows how.

Originally posted on: 15-Jan-2006, 21:23 GMT

OMF [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby OMF [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:55 pm

Reichu wrote:Uhhh... Have you actually READ the Geektionary, OMF? I be offended by ye! :loads up Uzi:

Rest assurred it was a joke. Though Reichian would be as good a term as any for the local forum dialect spoken on the boards.

Originally posted on: 15-Jan-2006, 21:26 GMT

Seele08 [ANF]
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Seele08 [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:55 pm

FanGeektian works well too.

Originally posted on: 15-Jan-2006, 21:28 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

...joke? :stares at Uzi and throws it over shoulder:

Well, a couple of </irony> tags here and there don't hurt none. And if my language patterns are infectious... uhhh... I can go into quarantine again, if you like... but people didn't seem to like it the last time I did, so...

I need a job.

Originally posted on: 15-Jan-2006, 21:39 GMT

Mr. Tines [ANF]
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:55 pm

OMF wrote:Rest assurred it was a joke. Though Reichian would be as good a term as any for the local forum dialect spoken on the boards.

Hey, don't diss the 'chu! Image Having taken on the post of volunteer cat-herder is enough.

Originally posted on: 15-Jan-2006, 21:43 GMT

Soluzar [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Soluzar [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:55 pm

millinniummany3 wrote:What's up with EoE? Simply put this was how Evangelion is meant to end, but ran into budget and censorship problems. It is also argueably Anno's revenge on the fans, but even saying there are elements of his revenge (perhaps the biggest sign they got to him is the hate mail that's flashed near the end) does not fly well here. Regardless, to quote many a fan here EoE is one great big motherloving mind ****, especially if you had grown attached to the characters.

I don't see how anyone with eyes can deny that it has some elements of "In your face, Fanboy!", but I think that only comes out in one or two scenes. The hospital scene and the "hate mail" scene are two examples that I'm certain are intended to serve a double-purpose. The "hate mail" scene is practically single-purpose, in fact.

Originally posted on: 15-Jan-2006, 22:22 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Since Shinji is Anno's avatar, if he's dissing the fans in that scene he's effectively dissing himself.

Originally posted on: 15-Jan-2006, 22:29 GMT

Soluzar [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Soluzar [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:55 pm

Reichu wrote:Since Shinji is Anno's avatar, if he's dissing the fans in that scene he's effectively dissing himself.

I thought you agreed with that interpretation? Image

Originally posted on: 15-Jan-2006, 22:49 GMT

Return to “AnimeNation Archive”