Evangelion Unit 01 - A Clone of Adam?

Notable old Evangelion threads from the AnimeNation Forums are preserved here.

Moderators: Monk Ed, Ornette

Sharp-kun [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Sharp-kun [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:50 pm

This has been put together after discussions with Reichu, many points here were originally brought up by her. I say this so she doesn't feel I stole her idea. Image

Conventional thinking is that EVA-01 is a clone of Lilith, with the soul of Yui Ikari. The soul aspect cannot really be disproved, as we see it often enough in the series.
However, of late, the clone aspect has been challenged, mostly over the fact that EVA-01 does not look anything like Lilith (It should be pointed out that this is not proof EVA-01 is not a clone – clones do not have to be genetically identical to the original. It should also be noted that clone is not the only possible translation of bunshin).

This is where an interesting alternative comes up.

The Idea:

EVA-01 is genetically Adam, but born from Lilith (as shown in Ep 23' (Non Renewal version), and in the Extended Opening on the Evangelion 01 Test Type DVD).

Possible Evidence:It accounts for the physical discrepancies between the 2.
Its fits with Ritsuko's statement on what Eva is in EP 23':
Episode 23' – “Rei III”

“It was Adam. A human was made from Adam to be close to the god. That is Eva.

….

Eva, which originally didn't have a soul, now has a human soul”

She cannot be referring to EVA-00, which we know to be made from Adam, as EVA-00 was destroyed earlier in the episode, and Ritsuko clearly talks about this “Eva”, in the present tense when referring to its soul. The other possibilities are EVA-02, and the EVA-Series. It is unlikely she is referring to 02, as that's of little relevance to Shinji, who is present, and the EVA-Series for the same reason. It is not unreasonable to assume she is referring to EVA-01.
What Kaworu says in the descent to Terminal Dogma is also interesting:
Episode 24' - “The Beginning and the End, or Knockin' on Heaven's Door"

“The Eva series, born of Adam, and a loathsome existence to humans. Why the Lilim would use 'that' in order to survive - I can't understand.”

Quite what he is referring to here is debatable. On the one hand. The EVA-Series are EVA-05 – 13. On the other, why he would talk about them, when 01 and 02 are locked in combat right in front of him is a mystery, especially since NERV are using EVA-01 in order to survive. By "Eva Series", is he perhaps simply meaning all Eva's?However, this leads to a dilemma. SEELE state, that with complementation with Lilith now impossible, they will use EVA-01. First off, I should probably repeat my views on what 3rd Impact is actually caused by, as it's in reference to this that we hear most about what the EVA-01 – Lilith connection entails. Most people here have probably seen me post this before:

Instrumentality, is at its fundamental level, the coming together of the 2 Fruits (Life and Knowledge), every method has this, its the 1 constant:

SEELE Method 1:

Lilith - Fruit of Knowledge
Lance of Longinus - Adam's S2 - Fruit of Life

SEELE Method 2:

EVA-01 with Human soul - Fruit of Knowledge
EVA-Series - Lots of Adam clones with S2's - Fruit of Life

Gendo's Way:

Lilith with Soul (Rei) - Fruit of Knowledge
Adam - Fruit of Life

Now, clearly, it's a bit more than that, though that is the basic premise. If however, a human soul was all that was required for the “Fruit of Knowledge” part of SEELE's Eva plan, then they wouldn't need EVA-01 at all. They could simply make one more Eva, and use the human soul in that. It would be far simpler, and would be the logical thing to do. It appears something more is needed than simply a human soul to satisfy the “Fruit of Knowledge” requirement. That is where Lilith comes in.
Now, if EVA-01 is a clone of Lilith, then its reasonable to assume that any inbuilt property of her that is needed, will be passed on to EVA-01 through the procedure.
However, if EVA-01 is genetically Adam, and simply grown from Lilith, then any inbuilt property of Lilith would presumably be lacking from the product. This brings up an interesting question.
If a clone of Adam was artificially spawned from Lilith, would it possess the same trait? If EVA-01 growing off Lilith is enough to give it this mysterious ability that other Eva's seem to lack, then there is no problem. If not, then it's a problem.

Also of minor note, is that in EP 26', when EVA-01 spreads its wings, they bear a good resemblance to Adam's wings during 2nd Impact (The wings change in style later, but I'm ignoring this, as everything gets rather messed up later on, with the combination of various processes etc ^^;Image

Remaining Problem:

1) If EVA-01 is genetically Adam, but born from Lilith, then what actually happened to Lilith's legs? With this idea, its less likely that they became part of 01, as then she would be part Lilith (the legs), and part Adam (everything that was grown).

Originally posted on: 27-Feb-2004, 15:10 GMT

SoulfulFX [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby SoulfulFX [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:51 pm

I thought they said the EVAs are "more than just copies of the first angel..."

I was under the impression that EVA-01, it's angel parts, were offspring of Lillith.

Originally posted on: 27-Feb-2004, 15:23 GMT

Sharp-kun [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Sharp-kun [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:51 pm

WrestleSFX wrote:I was under the impression that EVA-01, it's angel parts, were offspring of Lillith.

Covered in there. EVA-01 clearly is born of Lilith, as shown in this picture:

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2002...th-eva01_23.jpg

However, this does not necessarilly mean she is genetically Lilith.

Originally posted on: 27-Feb-2004, 15:27 GMT

AchtungAffen [ANF]
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby AchtungAffen [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:51 pm

I still don't understand how EVA-01 could be genetically Adam but spawned off Lillith's legs.

I always thought that when Ritsuko said that stuff about the Eva and Adam, she meant it in a general sense. Although the picture shown there in ep23' DC differs, as it shows Lillith and EVA-01. Could that discrepancy be the cause for that scene to be removed from Renewal?

Originally posted on: 28-Feb-2004, 08:07 GMT

NakedEYE666 [ANF]
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby NakedEYE666 [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:51 pm

Maybe Evangelion 01 is an Adam (-like being) born from Lilith, and that is proof that Adam himself was actually born from Lilith. Maybe Lilith can bare beings unlike herself, and gave birth to Adam long ago. (or maybe not, whatever Image )

Originally posted on: 28-Feb-2004, 01:13 GMT

thekillingmantra [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby thekillingmantra [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:53 pm

If EVA-01 is genetically Adam, but born from Lilith, then what actually happened to Lilith's legs? With this idea, it's less likely that they became part of 01, as then she would be part Lilith (the legs), and part Adam (everything that was grown).

I'm guessing that Lilith's legs were used as the initial material that was then genetically modified to be physically similar to Adam, and obviously Eva-00, so that the technology gained from Eva-00's development could be directly implemented into Eva-01's construction.

Originally posted on: 28-Feb-2004, 02:24 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:53 pm

Why, exactly, are Lilith's legs missing? IMO, for the same reason that her right arm is almost completely gone and the left arm is undergoing atrophication. Here is the image that shows what is happening to Lilith's arms, in case anyone missed it:

EVA-01 is growing directly out of Lilith, which seems to have resulted in a "biomass transfer", as Shin-seiki once put it. The finished EVA-01 is the same size as Lilith was before the process began, so there's some biomass that had to come from somewhere else. Lilith may have been capable of producing it in the beginning of the process, but later on she "ran out of juice", resulting in the atrophication of her limbs as the biomass was invested into Shogouki.

If this "biomass transfer" is the case, that means that Lilith once had her legs while EVA-01 was connected to her. And that paints a somewhat grotesque image (here is a sketch I made of what Lilith/EVA-01 theoretically might have looked like, earlier in the process -- needs some updating, but you get the idea). EVA-01's point of attachment to Lilith could well be... er... the place where babies normally come out of their mothers. (Certain anatomical terminology might be blocked 'round these parts, so I won't bother. Image) That assumption takes a bit of a risk, since we don't really know if Lilith is literally a "she", but sometimes I have to wonder:

The menstrual overtones of Lilith's perpetual bleeding are pretty blatant, IMO. Of course, we don't actually see the LCL coming out of her no-no place -- but NGE's animators don't give anyone else pelvic definition, so why should Lilith be any different?

So let me offer up a possible explanation for EVA-01's origins, just to get it out there. (I've mentioned it before, but this thread is just screaming for me to post it again. And maybe folks will actually notice it this way. -o-Image

There is a possibility (however remote!) that Lilith possesses reproductive faculties. And GEHIRN, after deciding that they'd use Lilith to grow one of their Adam clones, chose to put these faculties to use. At the risk of sounding like a total nut (it wouldn't be the first time), here's how I envision them going about such a thing.

1) After FINALLY getting a Zerogouki that doesn't need to be trashed, Yui and company prepare a happy little egg cell of the next Eva they want to grow. (If Lilith actually has eggs in there, they might've put their prepared Adam clone DNA into that. Isn't something similar done in some bioengineering these days?) They then implant this into Lilith's womb (or whatever she's got in there) and get it to start growing.

2) Lilith gets a nice big beer gut (kind of like she has here) as EVA-01's growth progresses. The folks at GEHIRN couldn't be more pleased. For whatever reason, Lilith is initially able to contribute mass to EVA-01 without any loss to herself.

3) Then the big day comes! Lilith breaks water (so to speak), convulses a lot (like the time she regrows her legs, I suppose), and out comes a cute little Eva baby! Except there's one "problem" -- the baby's still attached, not by an umbilical cord but by a lot of weird white taffy stuff. Not what GEHIRN expected, so they wait and see what happens.

4) Well, what do you know? EVA-01 just gets bigger and bigger -- growing from a cute little chibi-Eva into a lean, mean badass in a matter of months. Eventually, though, Lilith's body can't handle it anymore, and she starts to shrivel up, starting with her legs.

5) Soon enough, there's nothing left to Lil's legs except wrinkly dark patches on the sides of her pelvis. But EVA-01's still growing! So the arms start to go, as well: First the right one, then the left one before the other is completely gone. Fortunately, before things get any worse EVA-01 reaches full adult size -- although her legs are still covered in the stuff connecting her to Lilith.

6) Around this point, SEELE starts to hear about some of the mischief Yui has been up to, and they don't like it one bit. Yui, fortunately, is "in" on the fact that she's been blacklisted, and she makes the best of a bad situation:

"The way things are going, I'm just waiting around to get shot in the back. I can't do anything for Shinji and the human race if my body's lying in a gutter! I know this won't do anything good for my dear Gen-chan, but..." (glances fondly at the green-eyed monstrosity she and Lilith have brought into the world)

7) Yui has her Contact Experiment -- the rest of THAT is history. Sometime after that, GEHIRN -finally- figures out to separate EVA-01 from Lilith. Lilith has had a little time to recover her bearings, so she manages to regenerate her arms, but she doesn't do quite as well on the leg front. "I think I can... I think I can... I think I can...! Oh crap, I can't." And so her pelvic area, all bubbled up in her attempt to regenerate, sprouts lots of tiny legs and becomes the brunt of a certain Python-esque joke. GEHIRN's method of separating daughter from mother must have been rather unpleasant, because Lilith starts bleeding out of her reproductive tract without end (and once GEHIRN finds a practical use for the stuff, they make sure that she doesn't stop).

So there you have it... I think it explains an awful lot, though the credibility of my theory is, naturally, up for grabs.

Originally posted on: 28-Feb-2004, 03:16 GMT

tv33 [ANF]
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby tv33 [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:53 pm

^ That is almost disturbingly convincing.

So Unit-01 has Adam DNA (Which is why she looks like Adam), but is made of Lilith biomass? And because of this Lilith aspect of Unit-01, she is Lilith enough to get the job done for instrumentality? Interesting….

Originally posted on: 28-Feb-2004, 03:32 GMT

NakedEYE666 [ANF]
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby NakedEYE666 [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:53 pm

When reading something like 'it's a very grotesque thought...' I don't usually assume that the next thing said will be 'here's a drawing I made of it!' Image

Your theory makes a lot of sense. It takes a much more biologically-centric view on the creation of Evangelion 01, but since it's clearly a biological being, that's hardly an illogical step to take. It also says a lot about Nerv technology, which also is a pretty logical assumption to make. But, if they can make an Adam sperm thing, what other abilities do they have?

Originally posted on: 28-Feb-2004, 03:33 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:53 pm

NakedEYE666 wrote:It also says a lot about Nerv technology, which also is a pretty logical assumption to make. But, if they can make an Adam sperm thing, what other abilities do they have?

Well, actually, I think the ability to manipulate egg cells like I mentioned is with us right now.* I've read about how egg cells can have their DNA knocked out of them, replaced with DNA from something else, and then injected into the uterus that carries it to term. So GEHIRN (remember, it didn't become NERV until Naoko went splat) wouldn't need Adam "sperm" or anything like that -- they'd just need the DNA of their Adam-spinoff entity, which was prepared in the process of manipulating Adam's genes to their liking. Knock out whatever DNA was in Lilith's egg (ovum, I'm talking here), plunk in the EVA-01 genome, and hope it grows into something.

* Perhaps someone more knowledgeable about genetic technology than I can elaborate on this?

Originally posted on: 28-Feb-2004, 03:46 GMT

tv33 [ANF]
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby tv33 [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:54 pm

Reichu wrote:Well, actually, I think the ability to manipulate egg cells like I mentioned is with us right now.* I've read about how egg cells can have their DNA knocked out of them, replaced with DNA from something else, and then injected into the uterus that carries it to term.

Indeed, I remember seeing a special on the Discovery channel (Perhaps some of you saw it, it was entitled "Rising the Mammoth") It was about a frozen Woolly Mammoth that they fond in Siberia. They were going to takes it preserved frozen DNA and put it into its closest relative in the animal kingdom (The African Elephant) and have the mother give birth to the Mammoth baby, thus producing a full breed Mammoth.

Also, think Jurassic Park.

Originally posted on: 28-Feb-2004, 03:56 GMT

NakedEYE666 [ANF]
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby NakedEYE666 [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:54 pm

tv33 wrote:Indeed, I remember seeing a special on the Discovery channel (Perhaps some of you saw it, it was entitled "Rising the Mammoth") It was about a frozen Woolly Mammoth that they fond in Siberia. They were going to takes it preserved frozen DNA and put it into its closest relative in the animal kingdom (The African Elephant) and have the mother give birth to the Mammoth baby, thus producing a full breed Mammoth.

Also, think Jurassic Park.

Yep you people are right. I had a different agenda. Anyway, that Mammoth transplant was years ago, wasn't it? Whatever happened to the mammoth? And oh man I wish they would make some Compys, even though they would be a plague upon mankind, they're cool!

Originally posted on: 28-Feb-2004, 03:59 GMT

Crazy Penguin [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Crazy Penguin [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:54 pm

NakedEYE666 wrote:When reading something like 'it's a very grotesque thought...' I don't usually assume that the next thing said will be 'here's a drawing I made of it!' Image

Actually, that's exactly what I assume will be said next - when it comes to Reichu anyway. Image

Originally posted on: 28-Feb-2004, 04:33 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:54 pm

Gehhhh!?! This thread is too ground-breaking to be heading towards the second page so soon!

But this isn't a bump for bumping's sake! Over here, Shin-seiki came up with yet another ingenious idea -- that maybe Anno-san makes thematic connections not only visually, but sonically as well. Of course, evil thoughts on the EVA-01/Adam front started to surface in my twisted brain...

When Adam go kablooey in #12, a rather distinctive "screaming" (???) sound accompanies him:

#12 - Adam SE
DEATH - Adam SE

Where's the only other place (AFAIK) in NGE that we hear this? In #19, inside EVA-01's entry plug when she rejects Rei. (Thanks for reminding me about this, Sharp-kun!)

#19 - EVA-01 Entry Plug SE

The circumstances during which this sound emerges have nothing in common (not that I can see, anyway). Regardless, this seems to buttress my at-one-point-heretical "EVA-01 from Adam" idea... don't it?

A vaguely similar "scream" noise occurs in #25', when EVA-01 does her best (but not quite as impressive) Adam impersonation -- i.e., when she sprouts wings and makes all Hell break loose!

#25' - EVA-01 SE

Guess this means another step in the right direction! :evil:

BTW, Sharp-kun, you haven't commented on my "Birth of Shogouki" idea yet... :bawling:

Originally posted on: 01-Mar-2004, 08:27 GMT

Sharp-kun [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Sharp-kun [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:54 pm

Reichu wrote:(Thanks for reminding me about this, Sharp-kun!)

I fiirst made the connection between the 2 a couple of years ago, I'd always dismissed it as just Gaianx recycling sounds, as I think its been in at least one other work -o-;

Reichu wrote:BTW, Sharp-kun, you haven't commented on my "Birth of Shogouki" idea yet... :bawling:

Nothing I really take issue with in it. Its basically what I was thinking, though in far more detail Image

Originally posted on: 01-Mar-2004, 08:30 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:54 pm

Sharp-kun wrote:Nothing I really take issue with in it. Its basically what I was thinking, though in far more detail Image

–{“–‚Å‚·‚©ƒb?H?I?H ‚·‚²‚§‚§‚§‚Á?I?I

Woops, wrong language... :flips switch on side of braincase:

Really?!? Image That's so... cool!! :cries happily:

As far as the key item that could pop my theory, whether or not being made out of Lilith's body (but being genetically derived from someone else) and having the Fruit of Life makes one eligible to take her place in Instrumentality... Unfortunately, there's no way to answer this conclusively. Considering the evidence that ties EVA-01 to Adam, I'm taking it as a matter of faith that being born from Lilith is "good enough". Image

Originally posted on: 01-Mar-2004, 08:51 GMT

Sharp-kun [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Sharp-kun [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:54 pm

Reichu wrote:Really?!? Image That's so... cool!! :cries happily:

It's only me, no need to get emotional Image

Originally posted on: 01-Mar-2004, 00:55 GMT

Karybdis [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Karybdis [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:55 pm

Well. that's actually a nice and very sound theory of how it happened Reichu. Although I indeed find it very disturbing.

Though it arises the question of why they shoved the lance into lilith in weaving a story. If they were trying to regenerate her with it, it wasnt working too well since when they took it out again she immediately grew legs ^^;;

as stated the actual way the clones are made in real life is a parent egg from the mother and a parent cell from the father are taken. Using microsuction, the DNA is taken out of the father cell and inserted directly into the mother cell through an ultrasmall incision. Obviously the incision can cause problems and failure so you have to be careful there, though that's the basis of it. The only requirement is that they be fairly similar parents. IE no putting a cow in a horse. I believe the mammoth failed for this reason.

Even the mini leg bits there that you were mentioning makes sense. Scary good idea though ^^;;

Originally posted on: 01-Mar-2004, 05:20 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:55 pm

Karybdis wrote:Well. that's actually a nice and very sound theory of how it happened Reichu. Although I indeed find it very disturbing.

Well, I've had the idea rolling around in my head since last October (or possibly before), so I've become thoroughly desensitized to its inherently "disturbing" nature. I think it originally hit me when I was staring at the Lilith/EVA-01 image and thought, "You know, if Lilith actually had legs in that picture, that would mean that EVA-01 is basically coming out of her-- OH DEAR GAWD!!! Image"

Though it arises the question of why they shoved the lance into lilith in weaving a story. If they were trying to regenerate her with it, it wasnt working too well since when they took it out again she immediately grew legs ^^;;

I actually think the very reason Lilith didn't finish regenerating is twofold: (1) She lacks a super-solenoid and (2) Her soul was put into a Lilim vessel (Rei 1) shortly after EVA-01 was separated from Lilith. (In NGE, a soul by itself is enough to power an Eva for what is presumably a limited amount of time. Lilith's soul was almost certainly capable of similar feats. Presumably, Lilith, had she retained her soul longer, would have eventually finished regenerating her legs on her own.)

Skewering Lilith with the LoL was part of the "Adam Project", according to Gendou in Episode #14, though I have no idea exactly what he was trying to achieve through it. The Lance seemed to be charging Lilith's body with energy, but only once it was removed could the energy be used. As we see in #22', it immediately went towards her legs, though the retension of the mini-legs seems to indicate that the regeneration did not finish -- the required "charging period" was interrupted by the opportunity to put the Lance beyond SEELE's reach. This seems to be supported by the fact that Lilith's legs finish regenerating immediately after she gains access to Adam's S^2 in #26', before her body begins to conform to Rei's image of herself.

...as stated the actual way the clones are made in real life is a parent egg from the mother and a parent cell from the father are taken. Using microsuction, the DNA is taken out of the father cell and inserted directly into the mother cell through an ultrasmall incision. Obviously the incision can cause problems and failure so you have to be careful there, though that's the basis of it. The only requirement is that they be fairly similar parents. IE no putting a cow in a horse. I believe the mammoth failed for this reason.

Well, the Adam "clones" GEHIRN makes do not seem to follow the traditional definition -- his genome is intentionally modified, which produces the physical differences we see among the various Evas. But, indeed, the idea I suggested about GEHIRN using one of Lilith's ova, inserted with the modified Adam DNA, to create EVA-01 was "inspired" by the process you mention above.

This creates an interesting question, though... If Lilith is functionally female, what does that make Adam?

Originally posted on: 01-Mar-2004, 06:15 GMT

Karybdis [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Karybdis [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:55 pm

Well adam really has to be female too I think. I mean think about it this way. Adam is the progenator of the angels, and the angels are Eggs before they hatch and evolve (given they're pure energy beings in a physical form, but when they appear in our world they start as eggs). I dont believe men lay eggs Image

Coincidently this makes adam a bad name for the first angel, though I guess that made the most sense to seele at the time.

This makes even more sense considering Adam and lilith are basically the same thing. Life Seeds created and housed inside giant arcs called moons, which serve the purpose of creating life wherever they arrive to.

And yes, the thought of the eva coming out of there is....geh ^^;; I think your picture of it illustrates that quite well.

As for the lilith lack of generation after that point, I really hadnt thought of it like that, but your paragraph basically sums up enough info for me to be in agreement Image The bit about the lance supplying energy seems a good point too. They probably used the lance since it could supply lots of energy with its principles being at least loosely based on supersolenoid (hence the DNA shape) however it wasnt a true S2, so an impact couldnt occur and they could still repair lilith. Then gendo could use Adam to enter into lilith and take control of the impact himself since he'd be in control of adams S2. That's about the best explanation of the Adam project I can think up.

The question is, did they intentially make those modifications appear so that the evas were replicates of what was centuries ago known as the "Barons of Hell"? Was probably an inside joke of GEHIRN and SEELE to try and scare people who thought about it too much.

Originally posted on: 01-Mar-2004, 06:42 GMT

Return to “AnimeNation Archive”