What Makes Something Canon?

Notable old Evangelion threads from the AnimeNation Forums are preserved here.

Moderators: Monk Ed, Ornette

HeWhoPostsStuff [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby HeWhoPostsStuff [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:34 pm

This debate's come up in a few other threads and has sort of distracted from the original topics on them, so I thought it might be a good idea to just make a thread for it. Hope that's not pretentious of me or anything like that.

Anyways, the main conflict of ideas here seems to be at the point of Anno's involvement in any sort of Eva-related project: some say that so long as it's an "official" release (as in, Gainax somehow either approves it or is affiliated with it...fan stuff wouldn't apply) and doesn't outright contradict anything in the original series or movies (the core "canon" material), then it can be accepted as canon as well. Others, however, think that even if Gainax creates and releases it, or officially "approves" the object in question, if Anno himself wasn't the guy in charge and oversaw the process the end product cannot be considered canon. This debate extends to the movie program books, the manga, the video games, and even the New Production Cuts (happy, Reichu? Image). Then, of course, there's the thoughts about different "tiers" or canonicity...obviously, most everyone has different thoughts about it.

Personally, I would classify myself in with the "first" group mentioned in the paragraph above: methinks that so long as something is either approved by or affiliated with Gainax and doesn't contradict anything too vital in the original "canon," that it can be considered trustworthy until proven otherwise. Others, of course, disagree: if you have thoughts on either end of the debate, or someplace in between, toss 'em in here. I'd like to see some of the different thoughts that people here have on this matter.

Originally posted on: 03-Mar-2004, 23:43 GMT

Dr. Nick [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:34 pm

Wouldn't the first approach method make GOS and GOS2 canon works as well (what a nightmare fuel! :scaredImage? GOS2 happens in the alternate universe which was briefly shown in the original series, and doesn't seem to be breaking the estabilished laws of that universe...

Originally posted on: 04-Mar-2004, 00:09 GMT

NakedEYE666 [ANF]
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby NakedEYE666 [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:34 pm

a good idea for a thread indeed

For me... if it's in the series (EoE included) then it is canon. If it is not, then it's subject to scrutiny (more so than the series). But I'm not really looking for whatever is the most accurate definition.

Originally posted on: 04-Mar-2004, 00:12 GMT

CuteAnimeGirl [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby CuteAnimeGirl [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:34 pm

Anno's a CANON~!

I mean What Anno says is canon!

~_~

:liplick:

Originally posted on: 04-Mar-2004, 19:48 GMT

Sharp-kun [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Sharp-kun [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:34 pm

CuteAnimeGirl wrote:Anno's a CANON~!

I mean What Anno says is canon!

~_~

So the Red Cross Book is non-canon?

Originally posted on: 04-Mar-2004, 19:50 GMT

CuteAnimeGirl [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

The RCB was made from what Anno said~!

gawd~! do I have to explain everything?

~_~

Originally posted on: 04-Mar-2004, 19:57 GMT

Sharp-kun [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Sharp-kun [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:34 pm

CuteAnimeGirl wrote:The RCB was made from what Anno said~!

gawd~! do I have to explain everything?

~_~

No, Anno as far as I recall had no involvement. All the RCB has is Gainax's approval. Anno wrote none of it (hence the small number of errors and contradictions).

Originally posted on: 05-Mar-2004, 08:04 GMT

CuteAnimeGirl [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Error???~! what error?

And ANNO NEVER TOLD GAINAX WHAT WAS GOING TO BE IN THE "END OF EVANGELION PROGRAMBOOK?""

GAinax just made up everything? OR did Gainax USE ANNO's directions and notes?

Gainax used what ANNO SAID... or do you wanna play? come on prove me wrong~!

~_~

Originally posted on: 05-Mar-2004, 08:11 GMT

Sharp-kun [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Sharp-kun [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:35 pm

CuteAnimeGirl wrote:Error???~! what error?

And ANNO NEVER TOLD GAINAX WHAT WAS GOING TO BE IN THE "END OF EVANGELION PROGRAMBOOK?""

As far as I can tell, no. If he had we wouldn't have contradictions like Angels being born from Lilith in it (which contradicts the series), or stuff about Kaworu being a captured Angel, which oontradicts SEELE's comments on him, and Him talking about himself.

CuteAnimeGirl wrote:GAinax just made up everything? OR did Gainax USE ANNO's directions and notes?

It was approved by them, not sure how mcuh was written by them.
Both. Some of it no doubt did come from Anno. Other stuff did not, though it fits nicely with the series..

Originally posted on: 05-Mar-2004, 08:18 GMT

CuteAnimeGirl [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby CuteAnimeGirl [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:35 pm

Kaworu being a captured Angel, which oontradicts SEELE's comments on him, and Him talking about himself.~DullKun~

Oh does it............... So when does Kaworu say he wasn't captured by Seele??

You must have a different version of Eva~!

If he had we wouldn't have contradictions like Angels being born from Lilith in it (which contradicts the series), ~Not the sharpest Kun in the drawer.~

Contradict? HOW? It makes perfect sense.......

Those who come from ADAM and Liltih are Angels....

IT makes perfect sense...

~_~

Originally posted on: 05-Mar-2004, 08:23 GMT

HeWhoPostsStuff [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby HeWhoPostsStuff [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:35 pm

Heh heh, the Eva video games are indeed a nasty little pratfall for those who argue for "Group One" canonicity...while the events of those games are obviously not part of the series, I have seen the games and their characters referred to as "semi-canon" in one or two places, which brings up the whole "tier" debate I mentioned earlier. I don't know the layout of the games very well, seeing as I've never had the opportunity to play them, but if I recall right Gainax actually made it clear at what point in the anime series the first "GoS" game took place, and just sort of said that the events would have happened squished in between the action of a pair of TV episodes (I forget which ones offhand). Thus, they at least made something of an attempt to reconcile it with the TV series, although they obviously couldn't make the TV series reconcile with it...in any case, they obviously weren't trying to put that game into an alternate timeline or universe, so I doubt they would have changed anything too in-depth from the original anime. Of course, I'd need to actually play the game to confirm any of that, but till then methinks that the term "semi-canon" works as a decent definition: obviously not quite in line with the original, but it probably could have been if it had been thought of earlier.

If, as you say, GoS2 (heck, I didn't even know they made a sequel to it...only other Eva games in that vein that I can think of are the "First Impression" and "Second Impression" titles, which I know next to nothing about) takes place in the "alternate universe," then methinks there's not much left to argue in relation to it. Image Keep the points of contention coming.

Originally posted on: 05-Mar-2004, 08:26 GMT

Sharp-kun [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

CuteAnimeGirl wrote:Oh does it............... So when does Kaworu say he wasn't captured by Seele??

You must have a different version of Eva~!

Lets see, here's the short version:

Ep 24': The Final Messenger
[b] Kaworu:
So you're the First Children - Ayanami... Rei.
You're the same as me...
We've both taken the lilim's form as our body to live on this planet.

“You're the same as me” – Self explanatory

Ep 24': The Beginning and the End, or “Knockin' on Heavens Door”
[b]SEELE:
And in Adam, progenitor of Angels - the true successors from the lost White Moon.

SEELE:
And whose salvaged soul resides only within you...

This one states, that Adams soul was salvaged, which would presumably would have been by SEELE (Unless somehow, a soulless angel was to come across it, and somehow absorb it, which I don't really consider likely)

Ep 25: The World Ending
[b]Rei:
Even though he was as human as me?

Rei, states that Kaworu was as human as she was, supporting his earlier statement that they are the same, and thus that Kaworu is indeed a clone, and not a captured angel. It could be argued that Kaworu and Rei are both referring to their souls, and not their body. I find this unlikely, as while both have the souls of a Source of Life (Adam and Lilith respectively), Kaworu refers to their physical form in their meeting, and never even refers to their souls, and I consider the souls of Adam and Lilith to be too different to believe that they were referring to them.

Also, in Ep 25', we see the EVA-Series use Kaworu dummy plugs, this also adds to the evidence that Kaworu is the same as Rei. We also have the dialogue at 2nd Impact suggesting that Kaworu was being created then.

CuteAnimeGirl wrote:Contradict? HOW? It makes perfect sense.......

Those who come from ADAM and Liltih are Angels....

IT makes perfect sense...

~_~

No, SEELE say Angels are born of Adam, Eva2 says the same. It is a typo, and has been confirmed with Gainax as such,

Originally posted on: 05-Mar-2004, 08:28 GMT

HeWhoPostsStuff [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Sort of ironic that this topic, originally intended to keep other threads on-topic, has gone so far off-topic in such a short time itself, heh. Ah well, guess that's my "retribution" for not doing this sooner. :goof:

Originally posted on: 04-Mar-2004, 21:38 GMT

Sharp-kun [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

HeWhoPostsStuff wrote:Sort of ironic that this topic, originally intended to keep other threads on-topic, has gone so far off-topic in such a short time itself, heh. Ah well, guess that's my "retribution" for not doing this sooner. :goof:

Most threads here go ot Image

Originally posted on: 04-Mar-2004, 21:44 GMT

HeWhoPostsStuff [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Well, that much I noticed. Image Figured I'd try to fight the trend though...guess this one'll serve to put me back in my place. Image And I STILL say that the original intention of this thread makes it even more ironic, heh.

Originally posted on: 04-Mar-2004, 21:47 GMT

Dr. Nick [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:35 pm

HeWhoPostsStuff wrote:I have seen the games and their characters referred to as "semi-canon" in one or two places

By whom, exactly? Image

Believe me, I have played GOS through (all three possible endings) and there is no way in hell it could be mixed together character development -wise with the original series. Play it and see for yourself.

But I think we need some sort of system of canonicity (is that a word?), since these things never appear to be as simple as they ideally should be: I remember AchtungAffen mentioning in another thread that he was working with something like that:
The series itself and any direct explanations, comments etc. given by Anno himself are first level canon material; stuff that Anno has only supervised and comments made by Anno's minions like Tsurumaki are lower level canon material.

What Sharp said about the RCB has made me wonder its place in this system. Could the lowest level of canon material be "official, non-alternate universe Gainax-approved material with which Anno has not worked with"? The RCB would then fit this category, because it's not AU in any way - it's explanations are supposed to go with the original series. NGE-games (excluding Eva2) and the manga on the other hand wouldn't be canon, because they obviously contain alternate elements.

Just throwing ideas around in a glass house...

Originally posted on: 04-Mar-2004, 22:03 GMT

Sharp-kun [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Dr. Nick wrote:But I think we need some sort of system of canonicity (is that a word?), since these things never appear to be as simple as they ideally should be: I remember AchtungAffen mentioning in another thread that he was working with something like that:
The series itself and any direct explanations, comments etc. given by Anno himself are first level canon material; stuff that Anno has only supervised and comments made by Anno's minions like Tsurumaki are lower level canon material.

http://www.theforce.net/swtc/continuity.html

^ Thats how its done for Star Wars

Basically:

1)The Movies are Ultimate Canon
2)Movie Based Source (the novelisations, radio dramas etc, where they do not conflict)
3)Other official sources, again, where they do not conflict.

Originally posted on: 04-Mar-2004, 22:15 GMT

Dr. Nick [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:35 pm

Oooh, now I understand the Star Wars canon system...
IMO in Evangelion canonical system we must stress Anno's importance, because the story universe he created is so batsh*t crazy that I don't believe anyone else could even remotely handle all of its different, bizarre aspects.

Originally posted on: 04-Mar-2004, 22:30 GMT

HeWhoPostsStuff [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby HeWhoPostsStuff [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:36 pm

Hmm, so you've actually played GoS? Heck, I wasn't even aware that there were translations of the dialogue out there...or do you know Japanese? Well, I have no way to refute your claim about it, seeing as I've never gotten ahold of the bugger, so methinks I can assume that you know what you're talking about when you mention it. When you say that it can't be reconciled with the series in terms of character development, though, do you refer to (among other things) whatever effect on Shinji that Mana might have? Obviously that sort of thing could never be completely reconciled with the TV series, seeing as the game was made a while after the anime aired, and Gainax hadn't even thought up any the stuff in the game yet...you're definitely not gonna see Mana pop up in Shinji's complementation sequence or anything like that.

Still, that really isn't my point when I refer to such items of debatable canonicity as this: what I mean is, if something more "behind the scenes" appears in a "pseudo-canon" bit of material, and doesn't conflict with anything in the anime, are we automatically to assume that it isn't compatible? The best examples I can think of offa the top of my head are two scenes from the manga: first, Kaji's death sequence (which may hint at the nature of who's "applicable" for complementation) and a short scene where we see Kaworu floating around in a cylindrical tube similar to Rei's (which might reveal something about his true nature that the series doesn't). Granted, I have no idea what sort of stuff along those lines any of the games have in them, but regardless, when it comes to information like that, especially if it comes straight from Gainax (though not Anno specifically), I still really haven't seen any real reason to distrust it. Some events and characterizations in these things, obviously, shouldn't be taken as canon, but I don't think that everything should automatically be assumed to be as out of the loop as everything else, seeing as they're all rooted back to Anno's original vision.

Granted, drawing the line between what "stuff" could possibly be "canon" and what couldn't will definitely be debated upon as long as Eva has fans, but I really don't like to assume "absolutes" when it comes to this kind of thing without some really hard evidence...of course, seeing as this is Eva we're talking about here, there quite likely isn't any. Image You have some very good points though, and I'm sure you've probably got other evidence to support your views stashed away someplace...whatever you think's worth showing, by all means toss it out here, I'm glad to hear it. Image

To tie up a few loose ends, I forget exactly where I heard the games referred to as "semi-canon," but I know that it wasn't anyplace "official" (bang, ya got me, heh heh Image), I just sort of thought that the term applied decently to the situation, so I borrowed it. I also find it interesting that, while you say that any sort of "alternate universe" product shouldn't be considered canon, that you count Eva2 as canon, though it has the potential for tons of stuff to occur that could never reconcile with the series...I suppose this means that, so long as Anno's directly involved, you'd be willing to consider even "AU" stuff as canon? If I'm wrong in that assumption, please clarify that for me. And as far as what you said about Anno being the only one able to "handle" all of the insanely complicated background stuff in Eva, in all honesty sometimes I just wonder whether he just tosses stuff out there to confuse us helpless fans. Image I know that's probably not true, but I still find it an amusing thought anyways, that he's off someplace laughing his head off at all of us right now. Image

Originally posted on: 05-Mar-2004, 05:18 GMT

Fuzzy Chickens [ANF]
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Fuzzy Chickens [ANF] » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:36 pm

Canon is, IMO:

1) The original episodes and EoE;
2) Whatever new footage was in the original cut of Death that was later incorporated into the DCs;
3) Whatever new footage was in Death that was NOT incorporated into the DCs (yes, I believe Rei and Kaworu learned to play violin...);
4) Concept art and scripted-but-never-animated scenes;
5) Director's Cut scenes that were later incorporated into recuts of Death;
6) Director's Cut scenes that were NOT incorporated into recuts of Death;

with each item only being valid as long as it doesn't contradict those above it.

And anything else is beryllium baloney.

EDIT: Put "Comments made by Anno" in between 1 and 2.

Originally posted on: 05-Mar-2004, 09:14 GMT

Return to “AnimeNation Archive”