Mysteries of the Reiquarium!

Notable old Evangelion threads from the AnimeNation Forums are preserved here.

Moderators: Monk Ed, Ornette

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:25 pm

EDIT: Important Resource

----------------------------------

Ah, one of the unsolved mysteries of NGE: Just what the hell ARE all those pictures that are superimposed over the Reiquarium in episode #23' (pre-Renewal)? Some have been ID'ed, but hardly all, and, dammit, I'm curious! After Magami and AA managed to decipher one of them over here, I figured I'd make a thread specifically for the purpose.

Let's start at the beginning and pay close attention to what Ritsuko is saying while the images go by -- because, hey, there's gotta be at least SOME connection, right? ...right?

Ritsuko: "Humanity found a god (kami-sama) and, in their joy, tried to make it theirs. And so they were punished."

- Image #1: Adam on Ice, Close-up
- Image #2: Adam on Ice

We know this one well: Adam being uncovered by the Katsuragi Expedition, found with the Spear of Longinus in ... ver back. C-234 of the FULL OP provides a clearer look.

Ritsuko: "That was fifteen years ago. The god they had gone to such lengths to find also vanished completely."

- Image #3: Giant of Light

Obviously based on the photograph from the 2I report, except somehow they managed to make Adam an even vaguer-looking fuzzy white blob. Where'd the black eyes and core go?

Aside: Just sharing this because I thought it was interesting. This is the storyboard for the cut in #12 where we briefly see Adam. Instead of pylons, as in the final, ve has what are apparently WINGS sticking out of ver back. Is it just me, or does this make more sense than the final product?

<Link>

- Image #4: Wings of Light

Adam's wings extending into the stratosphere. (No, I actually didn't make the "stratosphere" part up. Image ) Based on #12, but specifically the DEATH version, since we can see the souls floating around.

- Image #5: Satellite Image of Second Impact

From the OP and #21. We see an "Adam wings" version in #12 and a "clean" version in DEATH.

Ritsuko: "But then they tried to resurrect the god on their own."

Uhhh, wait a second... Isn't "resurrecting the god" what caused all that "divine retribution" in the first place? Or is she talking about something else?

- Image #6: Newspaper on Second Impact

From #21. Here's a composite, lazily created in "Panorama Maker" (hence the warping). Are those real people in the photograph?

- Image #7: Newspaper photograph

According to the script, this fellow is apparently the head honcho of the United Nations. We see the less vague version in #21, where Gendo and Keel can be seen in the background.

- Image #8: UNIDENTIFIED

Looks like a bunch of old farts standing behind a table or something (checking out the Dead Sea Scrolls, maybe?). The one on the far right (who is plainly visible) reminds me of the American committeeman -- or maybe I'm just seeing things. Alternatively, this looks to me like it could be a photo of <gasp> real people!

- Image #9: UNIDENTIFIED

Bubbles? Molecules?

Ritsuko: "That was Adam. And, imitating God, humans were made from Adam. That was Eva."

- Image #10: Lilith Closeup

Lilith's head with the mask, upside-down. Clearer view in the FULL OP.

- Image #11: Lilith & EVA-01

And if you want to make heads or tails of what the hell is going on there, you can always try my wonky "Birth of EVA-01" theory. "When maternity goes wrong. Very, very, VERY wrong!" Also available sans Rei in the FULL OP although, oddly, it is easier to make out certain details here!

Rather confusing how Ritsuko is talking about Adam and Evas being made from ver, but they show you Lilith giving birth to EVA-01. (Oh well -- if I'm not totally full of crap, EVA-01 is still technically being made "from Adam", but through Lilith.)

Shinji: "People? They're humans?"

- Image #12: EVA-01 closeup

A tricky one to make out, but this is EVA-01 from the prior image, shown from a funky angle. The chest is covered by a large cloth, a square-shaped cut exposing the core. Her face is also covered by a cloth (strangely like the Adam from "Nadia"). Clean version in the FULL OP.

Ritsuko: "Yes, they're human."

- Image #13: "Secret" Dead Sea Scrolls

You may remember this as the final cut of the OP. I was able to confirm my pet theory that this represented the SDSS with "Eva tomo no kai".

I'll add more later.

Originally posted on: 06-Feb-2005, 14:19 GMT

Magami No ER [ANF]
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Magami No ER [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:26 pm

Image #8-That one is tricky, can I see it in color?
Image #9-Most likly bubles from the creation of Rei, her tank(not the actual one with the smiling Reis,of course.

Originally posted on: 06-Feb-2005, 14:36 GMT

Mr. Tines [ANF]
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:26 pm

Reichu wrote:Image #9: UNIDENTIFIED

Bubbles? Molecules?

Looks like a molecular model, some long chain molecule, with obvious 6-carbon rings. Context would suggest DNA, but there doesn't seem to be the obvious helical structure - it could be a protein, or even polystyrene.

Originally posted on: 06-Feb-2005, 14:41 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:26 pm

Magami No ER wrote:Image #8-That one is tricky, can I see it in color?

I added the link above. I dunno, think I should have kept them in color? I thought some of them were easier to see in B&W... Maybe I'm just mAd.

Originally posted on: 06-Feb-2005, 14:42 GMT

Magami No ER [ANF]
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

B&W distorts the image a little more, IMO. I'll look at it later when I have time. And I really think now, after Mr. Tine's comment, that it looks to be both. A molcular chain in the form of those large Rei-tank bubbles.
Edit: By ressurecting God, I thought they ment try to ressurect Adam, and therefore create the Evas. Perhaps, going by what Ritsuko says, they're showingt the processes that led to the creation attemps on Evas; First the cover up, then the attemp at creating the first Eva from Adam(sound like anything? Image ), which I think that image 9 I touched up shows. It reminds me of the "Eva graveyard." Then again, I could be way off, I don't know.^^;;;
The molocule of bubbles might have something to do with this as well.

Originally posted on: 06-Feb-2005, 14:46 GMT

Magami No ER [ANF]
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Then it goes on to show the Eva 01 creation (Yui) of our source of life, Lilith.

Originally posted on: 06-Feb-2005, 15:55 GMT

Treize X [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Treize X [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:26 pm

Very intriguing thread. I'll post my thoughts a little later on. I'll also attempt to figure out what some of the unidentified images are.

Originally posted on: 06-Feb-2005, 15:57 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:26 pm

Magami No ER wrote:First the cover up, then the attemp at creating the first Eva from Adam(sound like anything? Image ), which I think that image 9 I touched up shows.

If it's any use, here's what I see:

Originally posted on: 07-Feb-2005, 08:11 GMT

Magami No ER [ANF]
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Oh...ok, that makes more sense, I was wondering about why you said Seele was there. Image Just shows how hard these can be. What are the others?

Originally posted on: 07-Feb-2005, 08:15 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:27 pm

Here are a few more...

Ritsuko: "The Evas do not intrinsically have souls, but they have human souls embedded in them."

I have a funny feeling that these images have absolutely nothing to do with what Ritsuko is saying...

- Image #14: UNIDENTIFIED

The Shadow People tossing their dead into a hole in the ground? Cripes, your guess has got to be better than mine.

- Image #15: UNIDENTIFIED

I keep on seeing a face with a Gendo-beard in there, but something's not right. Tell me what YOU see.

- Image #16: UNIDENTIFIED

Some type of large machinery? A primitive entry plug?

- Image #17: UNIDENTIFIED

Okay, this might sound crazy, but I see Keel... with his skull cap missing. Seriously, I can see his visor and the two pieces that cover his temples. And his brain.

Then again... :scratches head and continues staring:

Originally posted on: 07-Feb-2005, 08:36 GMT

Treize X [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Treize X [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:27 pm

...Okay, the first one looks to me like a bunch of shadowy people on the ice, most likely, IMO, the Katsuragi team doing something in Antarctica.

The second...you got me. Image

Third...could either be an entry plug, or possibly Terminal Dogma's Reicubator (the thingy that looked kinda like a spinal cord).

Fourth I have no idea.

Originally posted on: 07-Feb-2005, 08:55 GMT

Shin-seiki [ANF]
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby Shin-seiki [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:27 pm

Reichu wrote:Here are a few more...

Ritsuko: "The Evas do not intrinsically have souls, but they have human souls embedded in them."

I have a funny feeling that these images have absolutely nothing to do with what Ritsuko is saying...

- Image #14: UNIDENTIFIED

The Shadow People tossing their dead into a hole in the ground? Cripes, your guess has got to be better than mine.

That one is easy; it's people bundled up dragging a sled thru snow and ice. Prolly has something to do with Antartica.
- Image #15: UNIDENTIFIED

I keep on seeing a face with a Gendo-beard in there, but something's not right. Tell me what YOU see.

Nada... just a vague blob.
EDIT: I looked at this one on the Resurrection DVD, and i see a face too; some dude with facial hair and a receding hairline:

- Image #16: UNIDENTIFIED

looks like a Soyuz space vehicle to me...
- Image #17: UNIDENTIFIED

Okay, this might sound crazy, but I see Keel... with his skull cap missing. Seriously, I can see his visor and the two pieces that cover his temples. And his brain.

Then again... :scratches head and continues staring:

Some sort of brain blob...

Originally posted on: 07-Feb-2005, 08:58 GMT

AchtungAffen [ANF]
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby AchtungAffen [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:27 pm

Image 8: It shows two photographs over some surface (as if they were over a table). The pic with the old farts is over another photograph of something else. See the boundaries of both pics at right.

Originally posted on: 06-Feb-2005, 22:14 GMT

Magami No ER [ANF]
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Magami No ER [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:27 pm

Image 15 also has another face, on the bottom(It's difficult to see on the Ressurection DVD)

Originally posted on: 07-Feb-2005, 00:52 GMT

AchtungAffen [ANF]
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby AchtungAffen [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:27 pm

Doesn't that one look just like one of the committee members?

Originally posted on: 07-Feb-2005, 00:54 GMT

Magami No ER [ANF]
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Yeah, this one, IMO

Originally posted on: 07-Feb-2005, 01:23 GMT

Mr. Tines [ANF]
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:27 pm

Reichu wrote:Image #14: UNIDENTIFIED

Could be the Katsuragi expedition (or a precursor) stumbling through the snow towards the opening of the White Moon.

PS Could it have been as early as the 1930s - either the Starkweather-Moore expedition, or an even earlier one? Admittedly, Adam shows no sign of pentagonal symmetry, at least in this universe.

Reichu wrote:Image #16: UNIDENTIFIED

Looks to me like Soviet space hardware - a Soyuz-Soyuz docking or similar.

Reichu wrote:Image #17: UNIDENTIFIED

I see what you mean. Definitely a brain. Or a cauliflower. Or perhaps a cumulus cloud.

Originally posted on: 07-Feb-2005, 17:48 GMT

Magami No ER [ANF]
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

I agree with Reichu and say it's Keel, especially looking at the bottom of the image.

Originally posted on: 07-Feb-2005, 17:58 GMT

Ironfoot [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Ironfoot [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:27 pm

Shin-seiki wrote:EDIT: I looked at this one on the Resurrection DVD, and i see a face too; some dude with facial hair and a receding hairline:

Looks like this Ceimoa Nan character, found here. The hairline is very similar...and if that's a beard, then perhaps the textbook picture is a younger version of him. Gah, damn fuzzy pictures. :/

Originally posted on: 08-Feb-2005, 21:36 GMT

Mr. Tines [ANF]
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:27 pm

Reichu wrote:Image #16: UNIDENTIFIED

Applying a coarse averaging filter and then emphasizing edges, then viewing from across the room brought out the "Soyuz" quite well. And provided a revelation:-

Center, at bottom, superimposed on a Rei's hips, a figure in what looks like a parka, facing left, towards another bulkier figure with his back to us, his head just above the lower-left Rei's left shoulder, his body superposed over the Rei's torso. To their left, a platform with railings, looking about waist height.

None of the other images have provided anything new with the tools I have.

Originally posted on: 08-Feb-2005, 22:14 GMT

Return to “AnimeNation Archive”