Common Misconceptions

Notable old Evangelion threads from the AnimeNation Forums are preserved here.

Moderators: Monk Ed, Ornette

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:25 pm

After seeing a new person arrive at another forum and regurgitate an entire string of common n00bisms (with complete conviction, might I add), I felt like making a random thread for fun. What ARE the most common n00bisms or other misconceptions?

For the commentary, anyway, these are actually things that we might want to create appendix pages for early on, before we reach the relevant episodes (because that is a long way off). That way, we have a concise page to cite every time the damn thing rears its ugly head again. I could probably throw them together, with a little effort, from preexisting material, and we can always revise them later.

Anyways, here are some that I can think of offhand. (Not all n00bisms; some are just things that have been proven wrong.)

- EVA-00 has the soul of Naoko
- Misato had no sexual interest in Shinji whatsoever
- Shinji had absolutely no real interest in Asuka, or vice versa
- Someone We Know Killed Kaji
- NGE Is Religious Propaganda
- Rei and Kaworu are Actual Albinos
- Shinji Accepts Instrumentality in EoTV
- Adam and Lilith Were Once A Single Being
- The Super Solenoid/Core Confusion
- EVA-01 has nothing to do with Adam

=EoE=

- Asuka Didn't Die
- Pre-3I Instrumentality Was All In Shinji's Head
- The Adam & Eve Scenario (or, Nobody Else is Coming Back)
- Only Humans Were Complemented
- The Asuka-Rei-Misato Amalgamation

I'm sure I'm forgetting some. Image

Originally posted on: 17-Dec-2004, 05:27 GMT

Shin-seiki [ANF]
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby Shin-seiki [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:25 pm

Reichu wrote:=EoE=

- Asuka Didn't Die

You know, you only just recently mentioned (on Evamonkey's forum) that there is an unused BGM track called "Asuka's Death"; I don't know why that hasn't come up before, but having read that, for some reason I am inclined to shut up about her somehow going sploosh at the last second before she would otherwise have croaked in a more 'normal' sense...

Originally posted on: 17-Dec-2004, 09:35 GMT

Quiddity [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Quiddity [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:25 pm

Without a doubt the worst misconception about Eva that I can think of is the "Anno made the Eva movies as revenge" garbage. Honorable mentions are the ridiculous labelling of too many shows as Eva-ripoffs, and the notion that Eva is religiously offensive when it in fact makes no commentary whatsoever about religion.

Originally posted on: 17-Dec-2004, 11:22 GMT

Shin-seiki [ANF]
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby Shin-seiki [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:26 pm

Quiddity wrote:Without a doubt the worst misconception about Eva that I can think of is the "Anno made the Eva movies as revenge" garbage.

Hear! Hear! Image

Originally posted on: 17-Dec-2004, 11:26 GMT

Ark [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Ark [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:26 pm

I don't see why anyone would find EoE offensive or see it as an act of revenge.

It seemed completely animesque to me.

Originally posted on: 17-Dec-2004, 12:05 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:26 pm

Shin-seiki wrote:You know, you only just recently mentioned (on Evamonkey's forum) that there is an unused BGM track called "Asuka's Death"; I don't know why that hasn't come up before, but having read that, for some reason I am inclined to shut up about her somehow going sploosh at the last second before she would otherwise have croaked in a more 'normal' sense...

Well, you know, it WAS unused... I guess that's why I decided not to mention it beforehand.

Oddly, another unused BGM track is "Theme of Love". Now, I wonder what Anno wanted to use THAT for?

Originally posted on: 17-Dec-2004, 12:56 GMT

Immortal Tech [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Immortal Tech [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:28 pm

Reichu wrote:Well, you know, it WAS unused... I guess that's why I decided not to mention it beforehand.

Oddly, another unused BGM track is "Theme of Love". Now, I wonder what Anno wanted to use THAT for?

So your saying, Asuka wasn't taken into instrumentality, or your just commenting that she never died in unit 02. I'm confused as to how you can say this when theres no evidence to support it.

Also i know im quite new to this, but how can you say someone we know killed Kaji when Anno himself said he was just killed by some random Government/nerv agent nobody.

Originally posted on: 17-Dec-2004, 13:52 GMT

Shin-seiki [ANF]
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby Shin-seiki [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:28 pm

Immortal Tech wrote:So your saying, Asuka wasn't taken into instrumentality, or your just commenting that she never died in unit 02. I'm confused as to how you can say this when theres no evidence to support it.

Also i know im quite new to this, but how can you say someone we know killed Kaji when Anno himself said he was just killed by some random Government/nerv agent nobody.

In both cases you're mis-interpreting our meaning (remember that Reichu is listing erroneous misconceptions): Asuka DID die (in EVA-02), and most certainly was included in Instrumentality; and Kaji was killed (on SEELE's orders) by some anonymous goon, NOT by any character in the show (Misato, Ritsuko, Gendo, or PenPen, to name the more popular "suspects"...)

Originally posted on: 17-Dec-2004, 14:16 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:28 pm

Dude, the list above is of COMMON MISCONCEPTIONS, not things we know. The context is important. Image

Originally posted on: 17-Dec-2004, 14:21 GMT

Magami No ER [ANF]
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Magami No ER [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:28 pm

Reichu wrote:- Rei and Kaworu are Actual Albinos

How was this disproved?

Originally posted on: 17-Dec-2004, 16:11 GMT

thewayneiac [ANF]
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby thewayneiac [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:29 pm

There's a lot of people who seem to think that that's really Naoko's brain we seen in the Magi in Ep. 13. (Only if they scraped it off the floor and pressed it into a brain-shaped mould first.)

Originally posted on: 17-Dec-2004, 16:17 GMT

tv33 [ANF]
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby tv33 [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:29 pm

thewayneiac wrote:There's a lot of people who seem to think that that's really Naoko's brain we seen in the Magi in Ep. 13. (Only if they scraped it off the floor and pressed it into a brain-shaped mould first.)

Add to that the idea that Naoko's soul is inside the MAGI.

And I cant believe no one mentioned the idea that first impact killed off the dinosaurs yet.

Originally posted on: 17-Dec-2004, 16:27 GMT

thewayneiac [ANF]
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby thewayneiac [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:29 pm

Whoops!! How could we forget this one: Keel is the Wandering Jew. Wrong, idiotic, and it perpetuates bigotry. This one could be the most obnoxious of the lot.

Originally posted on: 17-Dec-2004, 16:31 GMT

HeWhoPostsStuff [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby HeWhoPostsStuff [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:29 pm

.HackBackslash wrote:Wasn't some comment made on the Commentary for EoE that at one part (I believe it's all the souls filtering into Lillith's Egg) that those are parts of death threats that Anno got from the first Ending?

I think that at one point in EoE where a whole bunch of stuff is being flashed across the screen really fast, for a second or two a couple of e-mail threats which Anno received are displayed...I think evaotaku has an item on that...not sure whether that's what you refer to, or if it's something else.

Originally posted on: 17-Dec-2004, 18:05 GMT

Animematt55 [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Animematt55 [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:31 pm

If Naoko's soul isnt in Eva.....like I have hear a lot, who/what is? I also heard that Asuka's mother's soul is in her Eva.

Originally posted on: 17-Dec-2004, 18:20 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:31 pm

Magami No ER wrote:How was this disproved?

Real albinism has problems associated with it, such as bad vision and sensitivity to the sun. Despite their odd pigmentation that recalls albinism, Rei and Kaworu don't seem to have much to complain about.

Animematt55 wrote:If Naoko's soul isnt in Eva.....like I have hear a lot, who/what is?

You must not hang around here much...

http://www.animenation.net/forums/s...ead.php?t=88067

I also heard that Asuka's mother's soul is in her Eva.

Eye-firmative.

Originally posted on: 17-Dec-2004, 18:51 GMT

Animematt55 [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Animematt55 [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:31 pm

OK, I dont hang around here too much. So Eva00, has Shinji's mothers soul in it? and Asuka's has her mothers soul?
I REALLY need to watch this series again

Originally posted on: 17-Dec-2004, 19:29 GMT

HeWhoPostsStuff [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby HeWhoPostsStuff [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:32 pm

Reichu wrote:Real albinism has problems associated with it, such as bad vision and sensitivity to the sun. Despite their odd pigmentation that recalls albinism, Rei and Kaworu don't seem to have much to complain about.

Though it wasn't "officially" canon, there was a Dossier item in the manga about this...it said the same thing you did (about Rei specifically, anyways), that she didn't show a lot of the signs of albinism usually found in humans. However, it also said that she was "taking medication." I don't know offhand whether that's consistent with the anime or not, though in the manga she seems to get regular injections from Ritsuko...has there ever been a discussion on what the "medication" Rei takes (if any, canon-wise) is for?

Originally posted on: 17-Dec-2004, 19:38 GMT

The Eva Monkey [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:33 pm

Reichu wrote:Despite their odd pigmentation that recalls albinism, Rei and Kaworu don't seem to have much to complain about.

If you're going to brush off the belief that they're albinos for the fact that it isn't EXPRESSLY stated, then you might as well throw out the LCL state change theory, because that is never EXPRESSLY stated either. Lets not have a double standard. One will do fine.

Originally posted on: 17-Dec-2004, 21:35 GMT

Magami No ER [ANF]
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Magami No ER [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:33 pm

Reichu wrote:Real albinism has problems associated with it, such as bad vision and sensitivity to the sun. Despite their odd pigmentation that recalls albinism, Rei and Kaworu don't seem to have much to complain about it.

But we still don't know if they really suffer much from or are not even affected by these common symptoms. Rei doesn't talk about herself personaly(or much about anything, to be really.), and we see Kaworu for a total of about 15 minutes, and we know even less about him. I don't believe this disproves that they are albinos of some form. Though they could be light in color due to some gentic similarites of their former bodies(or perhaps even their unknown eyes. Image )

Originally posted on: 17-Dec-2004, 21:43 GMT

Return to “AnimeNation Archive”