Room of Guf (once again)

Notable old Evangelion threads from the AnimeNation Forums are preserved here.

Moderators: Monk Ed, Ornette

Dr. Nick [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:19 pm

Created because I don't feel like hijacking Zubon's Q&A-thread.

K2Grey wrote:There is no official explanation, but it should be noted that all the children are born after Second Impact. This may or may not be related to the decrease in children born yearly and the emptying of the Room of Gauf.

Dr. Nick wrote:Seriously, is there any evidence supporting this (IMO outragous) idea of "soul reserve running dry"? Yes, there is that comment about declining birth rates after 2I, but that in itself hardly proves anything. We've been flat out told that the religious symbols and names in the show are there only for the superficial coolness-factor. Why then is the Room of Guf often treated as some sort of exception to which this rule does not apply?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if I recall correctly, the Room is mentioned in the show twice, in episodes 23 and 26'. In both times it is used to refer to a tangible real-world place (the Reiquarium and the Black Moon respectively) and not to some mystical, metaphysical origin of souls.

K2Grey wrote:Why is it not possible for the Room of Gauf to be a tangible, real-world origin of souls? In EoE all souls are packed together in a tangible, real-world place, so it makes sense that the origin of all these souls may also be a tangible, real-world place, which happens to be called the 'Room of Gauf'.

In my opinion theories like that belong in the field of fan-fiction writing. I guess the soul reserve idea is "possible" in a way that it's not openly refuted in the show, but as a theory it is almost entirely unsubstantiated. A somewhat similar example would be "the events depicted in the game Girlfriend of Steel take place on the actual timeline of the tv-show". It's like a piece of a puzzle that fits in, but only if you disregard all the surrounding pieces.

If we ignore the statement about the declining birth rates (for which there can be dozens of different explanations), what evidence is there for the soul reserve theory?

Originally posted on: 03-Oct-2005, 22:18 GMT

OMF [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby OMF [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:19 pm

I'd have to say that you may be too quick in knocking down this "soul font running dry" theory. It would clear up a good many issues, not least of which is the theorised "inevitability" of third impact. If souls really were in short supply, then perhaps humanity's only recourse was to initiate third impact to "replesh" the supply of souls/soul enegry... or something.

Originally posted on: 03-Oct-2005, 22:57 GMT

thewayneiac [ANF]
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby thewayneiac [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:19 pm

I digress, but seriously, is there any evidence supporting this (IMO outragous) idea of "soul reserve running dry"? Yes, there is that comment about declining birth rates after 2I, but that in itself hardly proves anything. We've been flat out told that the religious symbols and names in the show are there only for the superficial coolness-factor. Why then is the Room of Guf often treated as some sort of exception to which this rule does not apply?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if I recall correctly, the Room is mentioned in the show twice, in episodes 23 and 26'. In both times it is used to refer to a tangible real-world place (the Reiquarium and the Black Moon respectively) and not to some mystical, metaphysical origin of souls.

While I agree with you that these "soulless children" theories are nonsense, I don't agree that Ritsuko is talking about the Reiquarium in ep. 23. She makes 3 relevant statements:

1. Rei has a salvaged soul.
2. The tank Reis have no souls.
3. The chamber of Gauf is empty.

I interpret this as meaning:

"We were originally going to use unborn souls from the Chamber of Gauf for the Reis, (and perhaps for the EVAs as well), but because the Chamber was empty, we were forced to use salvaged souls."

(Note: copied from Zubon's thread per Dr. Nick's request, but not deleted there because Magami No ER had already refered to it.)

Originally posted on: 03-Oct-2005, 23:15 GMT

K2Grey [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby K2Grey [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:19 pm

I must say that while I firmly believe that there are no soul-less children, I do believe that the fount of souls is running dry, and that the theory is not, in fact, firmly in the realm of fanfiction.

Originally posted on: 04-Oct-2005, 03:16 GMT

Takumi [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Takumi [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:19 pm

It's The Chamber of Guf

Originally posted on: 04-Oct-2005, 03:17 GMT

Magami No ER [ANF]
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Magami No ER [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:19 pm

^literal translational, not that that helps...
(OMG it's Gauf! Image )

Originally posted on: 04-Oct-2005, 03:23 GMT

Takumi [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Takumi [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:19 pm

Magami No ER wrote:^literal translational, not that that helps...
(OMG it's Gauf! Image )

It's in End of Evangelion...IT'S CANON! ZOMG

Originally posted on: 04-Oct-2005, 03:30 GMT

C_U_P [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby C_U_P [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:19 pm

Wow, why do you people have to write crap into everything? It's a figurative term, not a real-life place. It is used to refer to the Geofront when it collects human souls; not because it IS the Chamber of Guf, but because it has taken on the role of the Chamber of Guf.

Originally posted on: 04-Oct-2005, 03:45 GMT

K2Grey [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby K2Grey [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:20 pm

The Room of Gauf was referred to before EoE (when Ritsuko is talking about the Reis). Having said this I would agree that it is either the Geofront or somewhere in the Geofront.

Originally posted on: 04-Oct-2005, 17:31 GMT

OMF [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby OMF [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:23 pm

There were Gauf "doors" in the geofront at least. Maybe, there was a place in the geofront that was ferred to as Gauf's chamber, but from Fuyutsuki's tone and the context, I would hold that he is speaking largely metaphorically.

Fuyutsuki:
The Chamber of Guf (Hall of Souls) has been unsealed...
Has the door to the world's beginning and end finally opened?

Interesting that Fuyutsuki mentions that the Chamber is being unsealed or opened. Could this imply that the font of souls has been hitherto closed off or restricted?

Originally posted on: 05-Oct-2005, 16:45 GMT

Dr. Nick [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:23 pm

OMF wrote:I'd have to say that you may be too quick in knocking down this "soul font running dry" theory. It would clear up a good many issues, not least of which is the theorised "inevitability" of third impact. If souls really were in short supply, then perhaps humanity's only recourse was to initiate third impact to "replesh" the supply of souls/soul enegry... or something.

You pulled that last line out of thin air, didn't you? Image I don't see how 3I would cause something like that: an angel-induced 3I would simply have destroyed humanity. Seele's version doesn't really differ from it very much, as it permanently erases all individuality. And if 3I is aborted, humanity basically returns to its pre-3I status quo.

OMF, It greatly interests me what kind of issues the soul reserve theory (is that an OK name?) supposedly clears, because in my opinion it turns the entire story upside down.

Let's assume that there is some place from where all souls originate. Considering how 3I affected "all life", it must mean that all Terran organisms have some kind of soul which animates them, right? Now, if this soul reserve was indeed running dry, that would mean that the entire biosphere of the planet was on its way to a total extinction. That would make a gigantic plot point, possibly the biggest one in the whole show, don't you think? Why then is this plot point never brought up in the show? Why don't the characters talk about it? Why doesn't it affect to the key players' motives?

If the whole world was dying, then Seele would actually have had a more noble motive for their plan. If they succeeded, at least then one life form would remain, as opposed to none. That would also make Yui and Shinji the bad guys of the story, as they destroyed humanity's only hope of continuing to exist at least in some form.

But this obviously is not the case. When the gramps of Seele talk about their motives, they do not mention any such "lesser of the two evils" cause. Instead, they refer to the world as a "colony of worthlessness" that needs to be purged. Old, impotent cultists chasing after a false immortality because they suck at life.

Talking about motives, also think about the Lake Ashino flashback in the end of EoE: Why does Yui want to become "a proof of humankind's existence"? Because our race is going to wither away in a manner of few years? Nope. "Humans can only live on this planet, but Evangelion can live forever... together with the human soul that dwells within it. Even after 5 billion years, when the Earth, the Moon, and even the Sun have disappeared, it will still exist as long as even one person still lives." Basically, humanity will continue to live as long as our Earth is in a habitable state. Absolutely nothing about a quick extinction lurking in a near future.

thewayneiac wrote:While I agree with you that these "soulless children" theories are nonsense, I don't agree that Ritsuko is talking about the Reiquarium in ep. 23. She makes 3 relevant statements:

1. Rei has a salvaged soul.
2. The tank Reis have no souls.
3. The chamber of Gauf is empty.

I interpret this as meaning:

"We were originally going to use unborn souls from the Chamber of Gauf for the Reis, (and perhaps for the EVAs as well), but because the Chamber was empty, we were forced to use salvaged souls."

Indeed, the tense here is problematic. When I wrote my initial post, I remembered Ritsuko saying "the chamber is empty", in which case the connection would have been quite clear. But now that I've checked different translations of the scene, I see I was wrong - it's always in a past tense: The chamber "was emptied" or "had been emptied". Image And therefore I admit it can't really refer to the Reiquarium.

But Wayne, your theory doesn't make sense: If the entire soul reserve of all living beings was emptied, let's say just before Rei's creation, there shouldn't be any living things left on Earth in 2015. Okay, that "all life forms must have souls" part was only my speculation; but even if we assume that the chamber only contains human souls, the problem doesn't really go anywhere: If no new children had been born in over 10 years, that whould be a massive plot point and definitely mentioned in the show (not to mention that the overall atmosphere everywhere in the world should be suicidally depressed). Two options, ladies and gentlemen: Either Anno miserably fails in storytelling, or some people here are chasing a big fat red herring.

To what does the chamber refer here, then? I haven't really thought this one out completely, but I'd like to propose a new idea: The chamber in this context refers to the "place" where Rei's soul originated - Lilith! When the original Rei was created, the "chamber" was emptied since there were only one soul to begin with, and thus the subsequent clones naturally became soulless. Come on, gimme feedback.

Takumi wrote:It's The Chamber of [b]Guf

Yes... I'll try to remeber that. Image

OMF wrote:There were Gauf "doors" in the geofront at least. Maybe, there was a place in the geofront that was ferred to as Gauf's chamber, but from Fuyutsuki's tone and the context, I would hold that he is speaking largely metaphorically.

Fuyutsuki:
The Chamber of Guf (Hall of Souls) has been unsealed...
Has the door to the world's beginning and end finally opened?

Why is the Spear of Longinus in NGE called that way? Because of its superficial similarity between the original item - it's a mystical, spear-looking thing that can pierce anything and has also other "magical" properties. Why are both Black and White moons called chambers of Gauf? Because of a same kind of similarity: They're both places where life began, angelic life from the White moon, human (and other Terran) life from the Black Moon. As simple as that.

Originally posted on: 05-Oct-2005, 22:02 GMT

Mr. Tines [ANF]
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:23 pm

Dr. Nick wrote:Talking about motives, also think about the Lake Ashino flashback in the end of EoE: Why does Yui want to become "a proof of humankind's existence"? Because our race is going to wither away in a manner of few years?

Episode 17 shows that something like that is public knowledge, even if the implication is not spoken about
Teacher: We, humanity, survived the hell called Second Impact, and got up afterwards.
Currently, the number of children is decreasing, year by year.
and I think one of the Yui/Fuyutsuki exchanges in 21' sheds more light on this inevitable end - I'll have to rewatch, as I don't have DC scripts to hand. But even without that, by the time I watched EoE, without having seen the DC material, there had been enough implication, without getting into the metaphysical, that the clock was ticking to a halt for humanity.

Originally posted on: 05-Oct-2005, 23:35 GMT

thewayneiac [ANF]
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby thewayneiac [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:23 pm

Dr. Nick wrote:To what does the chamber refer here, then? I haven't really thought this one out completely, but I'd like to propose a new idea: The chamber in this context refers to the "place" where Rei's soul originated - Lilith! When the original Rei was created, the "chamber" was emptied since there were only one soul to begin with, and thus the subsequent clones naturally became soulless. Come on, gimme feedback.

But why would Ritsuko draw such an analogy? The Chamber of Guf is the place where souls wait to be born. If Lilith has only her own soul, which is certainly the case, what is the similarity that causes Ritsuko to make the comparison? Also, why would Ritsuko think it worth mentioning that Lilith was empty of souls after donating hers to Rei? Doesn't the very fact that Ritsuko says there were no souls imply that they expected to find them there? Again, why does she emphasize the fact that they are using salvaged souls if she doesn't mean they are using them because no unborn souls are available?

As for the declining birthrate, it's always best to assume that they don't put things like that in for no reason; that is we are supposed to draw some sort of conclusion when we hear this. My own theory is that you need Lilith in the Chamber undisturbed to generate souls. Chopping her limbs off and crucifying her has disrupted this process. Plus, it's quite possible that any reserve of souls she had built up were released and scattered when humans broke into the geofront, in the same way that the Angels were scattered around the world when Adam's Guf opened during 2I. Thus only a fraction of the souls are finding their way to where they should be in order to result in a human birth.

As for the seeming contradiction between the Chamber as a repository of human souls, and 3I releasing the souls of all Terran life, this may very well be an example of us thinking about this more closely than Anno.

Originally posted on: 06-Oct-2005, 00:29 GMT

drgenestarwind [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby drgenestarwind [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:23 pm

so if the doors to the chamber of Guf are in the geofront, do they lead into the black moon?

Originally posted on: 06-Oct-2005, 04:20 GMT

thewayneiac [ANF]
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby thewayneiac [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:23 pm

drgenestarwind wrote:so if the doors to the chamber of Guf are in the geofront, do they lead into the black moon?

The geofront is the Black Moon.

Originally posted on: 06-Oct-2005, 18:48 GMT

Dr. Nick [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:23 pm

Mr. Tines wrote:Episode 17 shows that something like that is public knowledge, even if the implication is not spoken about
Teacher: We, humanity, survived the hell called Second Impact, and got up afterwards.
Currently, the number of children is decreasing, year by year.

I'm sure this has been mentioned before. When lots of people perish in a massive natural disaster or in a war, the survivors soon start to churn out babies like rabbits on ecstasy. After a few years the demographic structure begins to stabilize again and living conditions improve, and as a result the birth rates turns into decline. This is nature's own way of balancing the population and there's nothing mystical about it. For example, the fertility rate of current day Finnish women is nothing compared to what it was in the 1950's, after the WW2, but only very few people consider this to be a sign of a coming apocalypse.

If the teacher of class 2-A mentioned something like "the number of children is decreasing, and nobody knows the reason why", then I'd say there's indeed something fishy going on here. But this is not the case - he's merely matter-of-factly stating a boring fact that all the kids in the class most likely already know. This is not some cleverly hidden major plot point.

I'm not very fond of applying Occam's Razor to outrageuos works of fiction like NGE, but in this case I think it comes very handy.

thewayneiac wrote:As for the seeming contradiction between the Chamber as a repository of human souls, and 3I releasing the souls of all Terran life, this may very well be an example of us thinking about this more closely than Anno.

Quite true. So, for the purposes of this debate, let's assume that the speculated chamber only contains human souls, okay?

But why would Ritsuko draw such an analogy? The Chamber of Guf is the place where souls wait to be born. If Lilith has only her own soul, which is certainly the case, what is the similarity that causes Ritsuko to make the comparison? Also, why would Ritsuko think it worth mentioning that Lilith was empty of souls after donating hers to Rei? Doesn't the very fact that Ritsuko says there were no souls imply that they expected to find them there?

Now I'm just pulling this out of my arse as I go along, but I believe Anno is here, through Ritsuko, dropping us hints about Rei's true nature. Remember that at this point the first-time viewers of the show don't yet know anything about Lilith. So, what does she reveal here, exactly? There are many Reis, but only one of them has a soul, and this soul is somehow unique. Rei didn't simply born, she received her soul from somewhere (from a place where there was only one soul available). Conclusion: Rei has some kind of non-human soul.

Again, why does she emphasize the fact that they are using salvaged souls if she doesn't mean they are using them because no unborn souls are available?

I agree that Nerv originally didn't plan to use actual human souls to make the Evas work. But what exactly were they planning to do, we've discussed about that on a different thread. The evidence seems to suggest they initially planned to imprint the Evas with a soul fragment / crappy copy / whatever, and that they only started to use the "human sacrifice method" after three consecutive failures. In my opinion that's plenty enough reason to emphasize it.

As for the declining birthrate, it's always best to assume that they don't put things like that in for no reason; that is we are supposed to draw some sort of conclusion when we hear this.

Yes - that the writers have done their homework. That line is there to create sense of wonder and that's all there is to it.

As for the declining birthrate, it's always best to assume that they don't put things like that in for no reason; that is we are supposed to draw some sort of conclusion when we hear this. My own theory is that you need Lilith in the Chamber undisturbed to generate souls. Chopping her limbs off and crucifying her has disrupted this process. Plus, it's quite possible that any reserve of souls she had built up were released and scattered when humans broke into the geofront, in the same way that the Angels were scattered around the world when Adam's Guf opened during 2I. Thus only a fraction of the souls are finding their way to where they should be in order to result in a human birth.

I see, this is your way around the basic problem which I was about to mention: Ritsuko says that the chamber had been emptied, but the senile teacher tells us that children are still being born, although fewer and fewer every year. But your theory is based on several purely speculative ideas: there's nothing in the show to suggest that Lilith somehow generates souls. There's nothing to support the idea that souls can fly around freely - on the contrary, what we see in the show suggests that souls are static things that can move from one place to another only if there is some force moving them.

This whole "the Chamber of Gauf in Eva is the mythological Chamber of Gauf" theory is a needlessly complicated piece of mess, which makes just as much sense as the "The Spear of Longinus in Eva is the actual Spear of Longinus" theory. I'll reiterate my key point: Either Anno sucks at storytelling, or this is a red herring.

Originally posted on: 07-Oct-2005, 08:52 GMT

Mr. Tines [ANF]
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:23 pm

If it were just a statement of the fact that 2015 was past the peak of a baby boom, I would have expected a different emphasis along the lines of
The burgeoning of new births in the following years shows that we have.
rather than, being combined with the empty classrooms, giving a sense of exhausted aftermath of catastrophe.

Originally posted on: 06-Oct-2005, 21:26 GMT

K2Grey [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby K2Grey [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:23 pm

To follow up on Mr. Tines, the birthrate is decreasing year by year. It's been 15 years since Second Impact, so presumably any baby-boom result of the disaster would have vanished by now and things would have stabilized. But instead, the rate of births keeps going down and down.

Originally posted on: 06-Oct-2005, 22:47 GMT

OMF [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby OMF [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:24 pm

Dr. Nick wrote:Yes - that the writers have done their homework. That line is there to create sense of wonder and that's all there is to it.

This does not appear to be the case. The decreasing number of children is probably not simply a moot plot point. It may even be a central aspect of the post Second Impact world. From Eva Monkey's archives:

The year: 2015. A world where, fifteen years before, over half the human population perished. A world that has been miraculously revived: its economy, the production, circulation, consumption of material goods, so that even the shelves of convenience stores are filled. A world where the people have gotten used to the ressurection-yet still feel the end of the world is destined to come. A world where the number of children, the future leaders of the world, is few.

More can be said, but now I must sleep. However this small snippet, though external, can tell us a lot about the post Second Impact World, and about the mood in fair Tokyo-3 where we lay out scene.

Originally posted on: 07-Oct-2005, 00:18 GMT

Dr. Nick [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:24 pm

K2Grey wrote:To follow up on Mr. Tines, the birthrate is decreasing year by year. It's been 15 years since Second Impact, so presumably any baby-boom result of the disaster would have vanished by now and things would have stabilized. But instead, the rate of births keeps going down and down.

Great demographic changes do not take place that quickly. In Finland the great post-war baby boom lasted for almost 15 years. The decline of birth rates began in the 1960's, and although there has been some normal fluctuation during the decades, the following downwards trend is obviously perceptible. Some numerical data.

OMF wrote:This does not appear to be the case. The decreasing number of children is probably not simply a moot plot point. It may even be a central aspect of the post Second Impact world. From Eva Monkey's archives:

The year: 2015. A world where, fifteen years before, over half the human population perished. A world that has been miraculously revived: its economy, the production, circulation, consumption of material goods, so that even the shelves of convenience stores are filled. A world where the people have gotten used to the ressurection-yet still feel the end of the world is destined to come. A world where the number of children, the future leaders of the world, is few.

That's a typical problem which results when the population pyramid starts to resemble a circle. It's quite a headache from a labor political point of view, but there's hardly anything apocalyptic in it.

Originally posted on: 07-Oct-2005, 11:20 GMT

Return to “AnimeNation Archive”