Armisael in Ep23'

Notable old Evangelion threads from the AnimeNation Forums are preserved here.

Moderators: Monk Ed, Ornette

Shin-seiki [ANF]
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby Shin-seiki [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:22 pm

I was just doing the old step-frame deal with Ep23', when something very interesting just leapt out at me. Has anyone else noticed what's up in the scene where Armisael sorta blobs out? I can't believe that I'm the first one to notice this, but I've never seen it mentioned, so maybe I am... Image Anyway, it is a very revealing thing to go thru this scene step by step:

Here is where it starts to get interesting. If you look at the blob on the left, you'll notice that it looks like Shamshiel:

The resemblance is more obvious here; note also the hand of Sachiel in the center, and his arm on the right:

Sachiel's hand and arm are a bit easier to make out in the middle here:

Ramiel seems to be in the middle here, and the black and white bands on the left are, of course, Leliel:

The hand of Sachiel is easy to make out on the right, and Sandalphon's eye is to the middle left:

Originally posted on: 21-Aug-2003, 17:42 GMT

Shin-seiki [ANF]
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby Shin-seiki [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:22 pm

The two eye stalks of Sandalphon are in the middle, while the arms of Israfel stick out on either side:

The lobster claw on the right is, I believe , the business end of Gaghiel:

In the upper left, the mask and tentacles of "Toilet Paper Arms" (Zeruel) are clearly visible:

The triangle-eye markings of Matariel are coming into focus:

The wings of Arael sprout out of the top, and Matariel's legs are also visible:

Finally, Sahaqiel's appendage is on the left:

So... what does it mean, that Armisael contains the forms of the previous Angels? (Yrouel and Bardiel are a virus and a fungus, so they would hard to spot here.) Is this somehow implying that the Angels are all iterations of the same being?

Originally posted on: 21-Aug-2003, 17:43 GMT

Sharp-kun [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Sharp-kun [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:23 pm

Shin-seiki wrote:So... what does it mean, that Armisael contains the forms of the previous Angels? (Yrouel and Bardiel are a virus and a fungus, so they would hard to spot here.) Is this somehow implying that the Angels are all iterations of the same being?

I noticed this when I first watched Ep 23'.

Notice that it comes from EVA-00 though, not Armisael.

My theory (haven't put too much thought into it), that as all the Angels were born from Adam, and 00 being a clone of Adam, that Armisael somehow set off some process that might be similar to when the Angels were originally born, but in this case was messed up.

Originally posted on: 21-Aug-2003, 18:29 GMT

tv33 [ANF]
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby tv33 [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:23 pm

Never really noticed that, I did say to myself that it had the features of a few of the angels, I noticed it looked like it had the features of Matariel most distinctly, and a few others. Not to mention that seen happens very quickly, you would probably have to slow it down, or watch it a few times to notice to notice all of them.

Originally posted on: 21-Aug-2003, 18:57 GMT

Plum [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Plum [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:32 pm

when does theat take place just when Rei pulled the self blow up

Originally posted on: 22-Aug-2003, 08:28 GMT

Sharp-kun [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Sharp-kun [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:32 pm

Plum wrote:when does theat take place just when Rei pulled the self blow up

Simple Answer:

Its not on your DVD's.

Proper Answer:

Its in Ep 23', the "Redone Episode 23", the "Japanese Video Version of Episode 23" or the "New Production Cut of Ep 23". Whatever you want to call it. ADV will be releasing these eventually.

Originally posted on: 22-Aug-2003, 08:31 GMT

Plum [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Plum [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:32 pm

ok so i'll never see it?

Originally posted on: 22-Aug-2003, 08:32 GMT

felineki [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby felineki [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:32 pm

Errr.... you're definitely NOT the first one to notice this... it is one of the freakiest parts of Ep. 23', it's just never been brought up in discussion here beacuse: A) Not many people have the NPC episodes, and 2) It makes no sense whatsoever, other than to be visually cool/disturbing. Knowing you guys, though, you'll probably try to come up with some bizzare explanation for it (probably even involving Rei, you people seem to have a one-track mind with her)... Image Rachel and I always just said that Armi likes sculpting. Image

EDIT: Oops, too late, you already did... :dodgy:
My theory (haven't put too much thought into it), that as all the Angels were born from Adam, and 00 being a clone of Adam, that Armisael somehow set off some process that might be similar to when the Angels were originally born, but in this case was messed up.

Although, you are right on one point... something IS being "born" inside EVA-00 during that encounter... Image

Originally posted on: 22-Aug-2003, 08:33 GMT

Sharp-kun [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Sharp-kun [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:32 pm

Plum wrote:ok so i'll never see it?

Not unless you:
Buy the DVD's when they come outSomehow find a copy of the fansubbed episodes

Originally posted on: 22-Aug-2003, 08:36 GMT

saiyajin prince [ANF]
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby saiyajin prince [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:33 pm

At first I thought all this were just there and you were reaching...but when I saw Leliel I was surprised. Not sure what it means but maybe it has to do with Eva00 being close close to an Angel is more ways than one and what Misato said about the angels just being different possibilities of us. It's like that end of T2!!Image

Originally posted on: 21-Aug-2003, 21:28 GMT

zep [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby zep [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:38 pm

I ever see that thanks i will watch this more careful

Originally posted on: 21-Aug-2003, 21:34 GMT

Eva [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Eva [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:41 pm

Wow so i can seeit but was edit out on.Can anyone explain that for me

Originally posted on: 21-Aug-2003, 22:44 GMT

Sharp-kun [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Sharp-kun [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:41 pm

Eva wrote:Wow so i can seeit but was edit out on.Can anyone explain that for me

MDWigs on Everything2

The 26 episodes of Neon Genesis Evangelion were first aired on Japanese TV in 1995-1996. When they were screened the first time on TV the episodes had to be slightly altered to remove some actual brand names and "sexual content" (it was screened after the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles after all). Gainax also wanted to have 30-second previews of each episode, but had to shorten them to 15-second ones.
The Japanese videos of the series were then released one after another. Each video or Laser Disc contained 2 episodes and was named "Neon Genesis Evangelion - Genesis 0:01, Genesis 0:02, Genesis 0:03, etc...". These videos featured the Evangelion Episodes the way they were supposed to be in the first place, i.e. they had 30-second previews, actual brand names, added "sexual content" etc...

However Anno Hideaki decided to slightly improve the quality of episodes 21 to 24 as well as adding new scenes. He also decided to remake entirely episodes 25 and 26 for this video release (he thought that he "owed" this to the Gainax staff, since he took complete control of the last two TV episodes).

So the video release came to a stop with "Genesis 0:10", which contained Episodes 19 and 20, because they had to work on redoing episodes 21 to 24 to get them ready for video release, they also has to work on the movies! Hideaki Anno's idea to redo the last two episodes eventually spawned "Evangelion: Death and Rebirth", "The End of Evangelion" and finally "Revival of Evangelion".

Now at this point (when the Japanese Video Releases stopped), AD Vision bought the rights to English Dub and release the TV series. They released episodes 1 to 20 of the Japanese Video Version but they didn't want to wait until the completion of the Redone Evangelion Episodes 21 to 24 by Gainax, so they released the TV Version of episodes 21 to 26.

This is where the problem lies. The Redone Evangelion Episodes are available on LD, VHS and DVD in Japan but are unavailable in other parts of the world. Most English speaking people have seen the ADV dub of Evangelion. They have seen "outdated" versions of Episodes 21 to 24 and thus when they hear about these extra scenes they instinctively think that they were cut from the versions that have seen. This is not the case. These extra scenes had not even been made when AD Vision bought and released its tapes. Don't blame Gainax because you are missing out on about 15 minutes of extra Eva goodness, blame AD Vision for not having any patience.

Now over in Japan Gainax finally released "Genesis 0.11" and "Genesis 0.12". They contained the redone episodes 21 to 24, improved and with added scenes. Some of these added scenes were featured in "Evangelion: Death and Rebirth" so if you can't get a copy of the redone episodes, try and get a copy of Evangelion: Death. The added scenes are worth seeing, they provides a lot of information you otherwise wouldn't find out.

Originally posted on: 21-Aug-2003, 22:47 GMT

Kaworu_Asuka [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Kaworu_Asuka [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:44 pm

Never noticed that, but I only have the box set and I'm guessing it's not on there - that's really cool though. ^.^

Originally posted on: 21-Aug-2003, 22:50 GMT

Eva [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Eva [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:44 pm

That was helpful.So there were'nt edit out but need add to show in Us Evangelion Dvd.I will get death and rebirth later and EoE but i never heard of the revial of Evangelion can you explain that one-o-; sorry about this

Originally posted on: 21-Aug-2003, 22:54 GMT

Sharp-kun [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Sharp-kun [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:45 pm

Eva wrote:That was helpful.So there were'nt edit out but need add to show in Us Evangelion Dvd.I will get death and rebirth later and EoE but i never heard of the revial of Evangelion can you explain that one-o-; sorry about this

Revival is Death and EoE as one.

Originally posted on: 21-Aug-2003, 22:55 GMT

Eva [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Eva [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:45 pm

Is there for that in english or was only released in Japan i can that instead if it here.

Originally posted on: 21-Aug-2003, 23:06 GMT

saiyajin prince [ANF]
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby saiyajin prince [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:45 pm

Eva wrote:That was helpful.So there were'nt edit out but need add to show in Us Evangelion Dvd.I will get death and rebirth later and EoE but i never heard of the revial of Evangelion can you explain that one-o-; sorry about this

The Manga release of D&R does not have the DC if your hoping...ONly the first version of Death has the DC, the other most of them were taken out. If you want the DC, just wait for ADV's release sometime soon.

Originally posted on: 21-Aug-2003, 23:27 GMT

Shin-seiki [ANF]
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby Shin-seiki [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:45 pm

Sharp-kun wrote:I noticed this when I first watched Ep 23'.

Notice that it comes from EVA-00 though, not Armisael.

I think that it is the Angel; remember that Unit 00 is being 'bio-fused' by Armisael. When Rei reverses the A.T. Field, both the blob and the 'snake' are drawn into Unit 00's core. Nevertheless, I think you are onto something, in that what we're seeing in these screencaps may be the result of "First Contact', as Ritsuko puts it, between an Angel (with the Fruit of Life), and a clone (Unit 00) of Adam.
I don't think that this should be so easily dismissed as being there 'to look cool'. I feel that all the new or modified scenes in the DC eps are there for a reason, as, for example, the very significant new scenes involving Asuka in ep22' and ep24', which are there (besides filling out her character) largely to explicate the otherwise incomprehensible antipathy and bitterness that she unleashes on Shinji in ep26'. I think that all the DC material is, sort of by definition, important; otherwise Anno wouldn't have gone to the trouble of including it. I have a feeling that he was making some sort of important point about the nature of the Angels in this scene, I just haven't quite figured out what that point might be, just yet...
felineki wrote:Although, you are right on one point... something IS being "born" inside EVA-00 during that encounter... Image

Hmm... care to elaborate on that, felineki?

Originally posted on: 22-Aug-2003, 15:55 GMT

Pepperidge [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Pepperidge [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:45 pm

Is the original theatrical cut of Death even available anywhere? Or did they burn the negatives or something? Image

Originally posted on: 22-Aug-2003, 17:02 GMT

Return to “AnimeNation Archive”