Reichu's Revelations: The First Humans, Angels, and the DSS

Notable old Evangelion threads from the AnimeNation Forums are preserved here.

Moderators: Monk Ed, Ornette

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:30 pm

EDIT/DISCLAIMER: I was in a psychologically bizarre place when I began this thread, so I sound kind of like a rotten, egotistic Arschloch in places. Be assured that I was put on new medications as soon as the holidays were over, and Reichu was swiftly returned to her more typical self. Keep this in mind for the initial stages of the thread, and please forgive my unpredictable neurochemistry. Thank you.

========================================

The flood continues...

Another teaser, just because I have to vent some of the excitement resulting from today's latest findings. The Rosetta Stone that the Muses (or the intangible concept they represent, anyway) mercilessly lobbed at my skull* is proving its reliability again and again: I have finally cracked the code about the relationship between SOLs, LDOs (Lilith-derived organisms), and ADOs (Adam-derived organisms) — and the meaning of "Angel". (BTW, memorize those acronyms, because we are going to need them from this point on.) It is all coming into PERFECT focus, and the show has not tricked us AT ALL. This is not a deception, it is fact, and I will be giving you all of the proofs you need to find this truth for yourself. Everything fits once you figure out how the pieces go together. Some basic points to agonize you all:
The term "Angel" does not, in fact, refer to ADOs at all, despite the way many of us have been using it. This is a vaguery that has occured in a similar manner to the confusion over what "ATF" means: What we initially think is simply this protective field generated by Evas and Angels is a concept that, when all is said and done, encompasses something MUCH greater. It is the EXACT same thing with "Angel". Misato dishes out the final clues in #25', although, perhaps like Shinji, the audience is left wondering just what the fsck this crazy woman is talking about, if we bother to truly listen in the first place…

Also, pay close attention to my comment here -- even though I didn't realize it at the time, that observation is extremely revealing about the greater truth... The name "Angel", or shito (Apostle), was chosen for a very good reason. First consider the meaning of these two names from the etymological perspective, and then symbolically fit it into the average preconception of what either is…
--- Misato was not lying to us when she said that humans — or, rather, the LDOs that evolved to most closely resemble their Primordial Mother — are the Eighteenth Angel. She just neglected to tell us why… at least, in a manner that did not take care to omit the clues that Anno-tachi decided to chuck our way from other angles, at other times.
--- Nor was Gendo bullshitting us when he called Adam the "First Human". It's not completely right, although it is correct from a certain "world view". Think of NGE as a picture taken together with its frame. The idea that Adam is the "First Human" doesn''t take the frame into account. Although it ties into something we learn much later — from Seele and Kaworu.
--- Angels and Humans are two different concepts, although one encompasses the other.
--- The revelation of the "First Ancestor Civilization" given in NGE2, despite the resistence than MANY people have given it, is absolutely fundamental to everything. EVERYTHING. NGE2, in fact, isn't telling us anything that isn't in the actual show, it just provides greater focus to that which is hidden in plain sight (unlike certain other things…). These unseen, but key, players were not retconned or formulated as apocryphal nonsense. Their presence is felt from the moment we first see Sachiel swimming through the inundated city towards Hakone, to when we see Yui heading towards her fated destination. Like the "bookends" image of Rei 3 that vanishes as quickly as it appears, the FAR are there, from beginning to end. You cannot have an NGE without them, because they represent a concept about human nature that is a critical part of the greater whole.

And BTW, Shin-seiki, you prove yourself right yet again. Rei stumbles upon the truth of the FAR (First Ancestor Race – you will see why the term "race", rather than "civilization", will ultimately be required) during her rather mysterious introspection in #14. But this is hardly surprising. If we take into account who Rei really is, of course the deepest recesses of her mind will be very revealing…
Since I plan on tackling the brunt of Part 3 first, anything related to Angels in there will be laced with hints, but not fully spelled out until I reach the consumation of what I have begun here, Part 4 of the Book of Reichu's Revelation.

----

* The feeling is similar to getting a slap in the face, or a bucket of cold water thrown onto you while you sleep, and reaping some kind of psychic benefit even though it might not be very pleasant at first.

P.S. My heavy utilization of capitalization, bold-facing, and italics in these "Revelations" posts is not something I would ordinarily do, but I use them to draw emphasis to the bits which I consider the most important. If you find them bothersome, I give you my apologies. Image; I remember being annoyed as hell by RahOtaku's overutilization of these gimmicks, but hopefully the level of my work justifies their usage.

Originally posted on: 26-Dec-2005, 22:46 GMT

Mr. Tines [ANF]
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:30 pm

A piecemeal comment - I really can do no more until I can make clear to myself all the steps of your workings - concerns this

Reichu wrote:The revelation of the "First Ancestor Civilization" given in NGE2, despite the resistence than MANY people have given it, is absolutely fundamental to everything.

From my PoV, if the FAR/FAC did not exist, we would have to invent them; finding their mention in NGE2 long after I wrote this as invented background, answering for myself the question of where such a thing as the Black Moon might have originated:

me wrote:And how old was [the GeoFront shell]? There was no easy way to date it — it could be as old as the Gardeners, that first hinted wave of Mind, whose traces were inferred from the sharing of deep idiosyncrasies of biochemistry across the galaxy.

confirmed to me that I was on the right track in my own rather less constrained filling in of my Visualisation of the Cosmic All.

Originally posted on: 26-Dec-2005, 23:16 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Mr. Tines wrote:From my PoV, if the FAR/FAC did not exist, we would have to invent them; finding their mention in NGE2 long after I wrote this as invented background, answering for myself the question of where such a thing as the Black Moon might have originated:

The thing is, I don't believe that NGE itself could exist without them. Without them, we have no Angels, no Geofront, no Adam, no Lilith, no Spear, no Evas, no LCL, no Black Moon and White Moon, and, most important (in the context of the story), the chemical broth from which Shinji-tachi ultimately manifested would have never been spilt upon a once-barren world. It is fairly clear, I think, that Anno-tachi had them in mind from the very beginning.

We know of one of the intellectual species from which the beast NGE evolved, and that is contained in the promotional pamphlet, wherein the concept of Arka is revealed. The only real difference between Arka and the FAR is that the latter only left their touch on Earth via their me--

Er, just ignore that... Image

The notion of the "God-Humans", the humans that create humans, and the concept of the Human Lifecycle (humans creating humans creating humans creating...), is a long-standing sci-fi staple, and one of very many that NGE employs to its own ends. The idea that this concept was ret-conned into the narrative is absolutely ludicrous, since it's not taking into account the sources of the creative team's inspiration — which have been revealed in interviews and include stories that incorporate this very motif.

And BTW, I've finally realized the truth behind EVA-01's final appearance (that's two definitions of "appearance" there). Hint: It involves the pay-off for the image of Sammael that has eluded me for so long, and Shin-seiki's observations here form the basic building blocks. Scott, you completely underestimated the importance of the final item, since it serves, when all is said and done, as the icing that completes the cake… Not only are there no throwaway lines in this show, there are no throwaway visual motifs, either.

To start you off: What does Sammael represent? And I mean on the most basic level. Wherever Sammael ended up, according to his mythological legacy, is (IMO) completely unimportant in a show where the polar concepts of "good" and "evil" do not exist.

[EDIT: If you are going to respond to the EVA-01 stuff, do it here.]

Question: Are these revelations as painful for you as they are for me? Image

Originally posted on: 26-Dec-2005, 23:41 GMT

AchtungAffen [ANF]
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby AchtungAffen [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:30 pm

What is the source for the FAR info? I mean, the only place where I saw that was on evangelion.ca. It cited as source a post on gamefaqs. I checked its forums and couldn't find any post with the text evangelion.ca had. So, as far as evidence goes, this well could be a tarp.

Originally posted on: 27-Dec-2005, 01:19 GMT

Shin-seiki [ANF]
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby Shin-seiki [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:30 pm

AchtungAffen wrote:What is the source for the FAR info? I mean, the only place where I saw that was on evangelion.ca. It cited as source a post on gamefaqs. I checked its forums and couldn't find any post with the text evangelion.ca had. So, as far as evidence goes, this well could be a tarp.

The GameFAQs post concerning NGE2 is still available on Evaotaku's site:
http://www.evaotaku.com/blog/2004_05_23_archive.html

You'd have to ask Brendan whether he got that off the GameFAQs site itself, or was just reposting what appeared on evangelion.ca...

Originally posted on: 27-Dec-2005, 01:44 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

"A tarp"? I'm not sure where you're attempting to take this, AA, but I think you can trust everything that I have said so far. Read item (5) in my first post again, plus my response to Steve. I think that covers all of the bases. We do NOT need NGE2 at all to know about the FAR. All we need is the show itself.

Originally posted on: 27-Dec-2005, 03:02 GMT

AchtungAffen [ANF]
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby AchtungAffen [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:30 pm

Yes, a tarp. I'm evidence hungry. I don't deny the possibility of reaching to a FAR conclusion by logic, but the topos uranos sometimes doesn't work that well when taken to reality, or in this case, Eva. A possibility mayhaps, but without the hard stuff, it remains being a possibility, same as the Pen^2 being the hidden mastermind theory or Bardiel being a man-made Angel. Possibilities that can or cannot be true.

Thanks shin-seiki for that bit. I was looking for that for a long time.

Originally posted on: 27-Dec-2005, 04:35 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Ano... AA, it is all there, like I said. This is not a far-reaching conclusion, it is a fundamental one -- UTTERLY basic. I have dropped the first few hints for you. Until I get around to walking this particular dog, you can feel free to go back with your eyes wide open. Part of learning the "truth" is being ABLE to see something with your own two eyes, and, here, there is absolutely nothing stopping you from doing this but your own pre- (or mis-) -conceptions.

"Trust me." Or, better yet, "Trust Anno-tachi". No matter what horrible things Gainax does with the NGE name, the original show remains unchanged -- along with the remarkable veracity that makes this such an incredible and genuine work of film.

Originally posted on: 27-Dec-2005, 05:06 GMT

AchtungAffen [ANF]
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby AchtungAffen [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:31 pm

I don't feel uncomfortable by the FAR idea because I have faith that in the end the info on evangelion.ca might be confirmed. But without that single piece of hard evidence, that kind of first origin of the SoL's would only be a supposition. That you can establish a logical path towards that notion, doesn't mean it has to be necessarily true.

In times like these I'm quite glad I could finish reading Foucault's Pendulum. There, Eco makes a good case on well established logical paths. They can prove anything to be true, yet what they prove isn't necessarily true.

If there was no empirical comprobation on the FAR's, I know at least one theory which could compete fairly. A theory based on soul division too, a theory like the one I put on the other post: It all started with a mega-being which divided and from it 2 SOL's came to be. Without the hard evidence, how could you deny this one?

The path of logics is nice and dandy. But as it moves farther from the world of evidence, it's all up in the air.

Originally posted on: 27-Dec-2005, 05:21 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:31 pm

:sigh: I suppose this is nothing new to expect from you, AA, but, again, I think you are blinding yourself to what the show is giving you. You are letting your own inhibitions keep the critical clues from your reach. All I can hope, meantime, is that you will open yourself to this truth. Are you not interested in cracking the mystery of NGE? If NGE is a puzzle, the concept of the FAR is not unlike the border pieces. You cannot complete a puzzle if you refuse to acknowledge all of the pieces, despite the fact that what has already been pieced together gives us a very good idea of the shape of what is missing...

That is all I can say for now. Even if I can't make everyone happy, hopefully these revelations will at least touch a majority. I can only hope.

Originally posted on: 27-Dec-2005, 05:27 GMT

AchtungAffen [ANF]
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby AchtungAffen [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:31 pm

:sigh: I suppose this is nothing new to expect from you, AA

What does that suppose to mean?. I'm sorry if I don't accept everything instantly (sp?), but after all I come from the spaniard eva forums. There, things which seemed to close the circle nicely I've seen a plenty. Yet few were supported by inside-Eva evidence, others denied by it. In the best case they could not be denied, like the Bardiel as a man-made Angel one (well, this one more or less), but that doesn't give me any security as for the answers. They can or cannot be, but what I want to know is what necessarily is, what can't be any other way. And if it can be in more than one way, I want to know exactly in how many. As I love Eva, I respect Eva and don't take it too lightly. Possibilities are nice and dandy as they give you an idea, but they fall short of being the truth. That truth that once seen cannot be ignored, the same that can only be in one way. The north in Eva, please save Yuri.

In Foucault's Pendulum they closed the circle from the Templarian (sp?) to Hitler. All ends were tied. Yet, they were playing a game and in the end it wasn't true, no matter how well they tied it up together.

Probably what you might post will convince me. But probably not. It will depend on how well fundamented it is, logically and with evidence. Because I do accept as the "truth" somethings that are not so hardly evidenced, just because its logic was overwhelming.

Because a lesson I learned with fire these past 2 years is that in the world of ideas anything can be true. But in the real world, few things can if any. I'd love to crack Eva, I'd better like to see Eva cracked by someone else so I don't have to think that much (I'm from spaniard descent after all, 'ts only natural). But I'd love that cracked Eva to be certain and not just a possibility among many. I hope you understand.

Originally posted on: 27-Dec-2005, 06:11 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Being as the ideas I am uncovering leave pretty much no stone unturned, I feel fairly confident that I have stumbled across the answer to the Equation of NGE. If a theory takes everything in account and holds true across multiple applications, then is it not generally considered a "law"?

You need only be patient, and all will come to light.

[EDIT: "Equation" my arse. I'm still working on it. Image ]

Originally posted on: 27-Dec-2005, 06:23 GMT

OMF [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby OMF [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:31 pm

Reichu wrote:Being as the ideas I am uncovering leave pretty much no stone unturned, I feel fairly confident that I have stumbled across the answer to the Equation of NGE.

Solution to the Equation eh? You've really whetted my appetite now. However, are the solution to this paticular Equation unique? Of course it's also legitimate to ask if this paticular problem is well posed in the firstplace.

As to the "acceptability" of the "FAR" or "Ancestor race", as mentioned before, deduction would invariably have either lead us to this conclusion, or instead to postulate that the Angels were left "by the divine" to test humanity. The more agnostically minded amoung us would more readily grasp for the former, but given the "swords and sandals" nature of NGE, it's understandable that some might choose to ascribe everything to divine will.

Originally posted on: 28-Dec-2005, 01:39 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Too bad "divine will" is completely inconsistent with what the show tells us. Rei herself, even.

What do you mean, are they "unique"? What's important is that they work. The problem is the problem of NGE. And I have found what I believe is the ultimate solution.

Unless you can find something that takes EVERYTHING into account as well as my revelations, I think you might be better off putting your inhibitions into a bag and taking it here.

I'm not trying to be rude. I just don't want to be treated like poor Doctor Katsuragi -- being prejudged before I am given the opportunity to fully establish the worth of my ideas.

[EDIT: Wow. I really was high on Christmas cookies when I wrote this. Please forgive me.]

Originally posted on: 28-Dec-2005, 01:52 GMT

OMF [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby OMF [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:31 pm

Reichu wrote:What do you mean, are they "unique"? What's important is that they work. The problem is the problem of NGE. And I have found what I believe is the ultimate solution.

Just some Terminology from mathematics. Some equations have more than one solution. For instance x^2 -1 = 0 has two solutions, x=1,x=-1.

Similarly perhaps the NGE Equation has more than one solution. Perhaps as many solutions as there are fans who watched it.

The problem being not well posed means that the equation has no solutions at all. Hopefully this is not the case for Evangelion. i myself am firmly in the "It can make sense" camp, along of course with the newly invigored Reichu.

Originally posted on: 28-Dec-2005, 02:30 GMT

Arkard [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Arkard [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:32 pm

Well, I think (hope) it does indeed have a solution, or else Anno wouldn't have in fact said so himself. I don't see the point about that. I must accept, however, that I did, for a very long time feel that it made no sense, but after watching the DC's, which make some issues in the series much clearer, I came to the conclussion that Anno and co. released them after all this years in order to make us all realize that the answers are indeed there and answer some of them questions. (That and making money, of course. xD)

Originally posted on: 28-Dec-2005, 02:40 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:32 pm

OMF wrote:Just some Terminology from mathematics. Some equations have more than one solution. For instance x^2 -1 = 0 has two solutions, x=1,x=-1.

Similarly perhaps the NGE Equation has more than one solution. Perhaps as many solutions as there are fans who watched it.

The problem being not well posed means that the equation has no solutions at all. Hopefully this is not the case for Evangelion. i myself am firmly in the "It can make sense" camp, along of course with the newly invigored Reichu.

Anno's statement about NGE's puzzle status is absolutely true. The puzzle can be pieced together, but there will forever remain that aspect of NGE, the deeper, human element, for which no ultimate answer exists. This "soul" of the show will become clearer and clearer the deeper you follow me into this "Hell", trusting that I will safely bring you out the other end...

I believe that the "body" of NGE is the puzzle that can be solved, and the "soul" is what we are left with afterwards to find our own meaning for (tying into another guidelines the actual directors give us; anyone care to dig it up?). This, IMO, is the most important ramification of finally cracking the cipher -- we will finally be able to turn our focus on "what really matters", even though, as I have said, putting ALL of the pieces together is, like the prerequisites for 3I, what will allow us to do this in the first place.

Arkard wrote:Well, I think (hope) it does indeed have a solution, or else Anno wouldn't have in fact said so himself. I don't see the point about that. I must accept, however, that I did, for a very long time feel that it made no sense, but after watching the DC's, which make some issues in the series much clearer, I came to the conclussion that Anno and co. released them after all this years in order to make us all realize that the answers are indeed there and answer some of them questions. (That and making money, of course. xD)

Actually, from a storytelling perspective, the deliverance of the New Production Cuts is, in fact, a very honest and sensical move. The stress the creative team encountered during the initial production of the "Bitter End" Arc should be common knowledge, and that, I believe, contributed to an inability to completely "discover" the story that they had been telling us -- and telling themselves, for that matter. Once the tension settled down and the possibility of the NPCs and EoE presented themselves, the team had "been revealed" the pieces that they were missing before, and that is what they gave to the fans with the NPCs and EoE. These are the "final version" because NGE had, on a creative level, finally been allowed to run its course as a creative entity.

Originally posted on: 28-Dec-2005, 04:41 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Oh dear... It's happening again... How come EVERY time I lay down with the intention of getting sleep, those dad-gum Mus-

Well, in any case, yet another agonizing teaser so that I may get some twisted pleasure out of my own suffering (at least, until I get around to completing each of the Chapters):

I figured it out... I figured Armisael out... And she, and everything she does in #23', makes so much sense now, it's amazing.

Her very short interchange with Rei is EXTREMELY revealing.

With what concept is Armisael associated?

Loneliness.

Why is this? Consider that she is the 16th Angel. The second from last, and the last of Adam's "natural" Children. Consider what Misato has intimated at -- the genuinely human nature of the Angels. How would you feel if you were the 16th -- if you finally "woke up" and was greeted by the familial desolation which Armisael encountered? Would you feel lonely?

If, in your wanderings, you finally encountered an entity very similar to your own True Self, what might you be compelled to do? Especially if you are a reckless Child who doesn't know any better...?

I will provide a thorough analysis of this most revealing interaction (I now understand why it wasn't lengthened for the NPC -- because it did everything that it needed to do...) later on, but something to mull over in the meantime:

Rei
"You hate being alone, don't you?"
"We are many, but you hate being alone, don't you?"
"That's what we call 'loneliness'."

This meeting of minds establishes something about both individuals involved: They are both lonely. Armisael's innocence -- although it appears, at first glance, to be something entirely insidious -- takes shape soon after, as she uses the Eva in an attempt to sate her own desolation (what happens immediately after the "psychic interchange" ends is NO ACCIDENT), while "repaying" her debt to Rei (and Rei) by ... well, you figure it out.

Having stumbled upon the truth here, I must say: The story of Adam's Children is becoming more and more sad, in a very genuine way. Image

EDIT: That gives me an idea for this thread: Since each COA is a "beautiful and unique snowflake", I think it will be worthwhile to consider each one from this new vantage point I have found, and what each one might reveal about ourselves. You know, "The Case of Sachiel", "The Case of Shamshel", etc. Like much else here, it's something I suspect has never been done before, because most of NGE's viewers never gave these Children the credit they deserved.

The story of Zeruel -- who has always been one of my favorites, owing to my (very justified, when all is said and done) impression that his personality was developed more than most others -- is one that I find especially intriguing, if you take into consideration what he does -- and does NOT -- do during his visit to Tokyo-3 and the Geofront... Let's just say that he comes in with more than a little grudge towards those who have systematically been destroying his family, although, initially, whatever ill will he might have for CERTAIN individuals he encounters is expressed in a fairly compassionate, and justified from his POV, manner. (There is a VERY GOOD reason for this default policy.) But, much like any one of us, Zeruel's patience and tolerance only lasts so long...

Originally posted on: 28-Dec-2005, 06:42 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Another thought comes into my head... This one is leveled at such skeptics as ol' AA. Image

Many, many, MANY of the NGE fans I have encountered in my journeys have stalwartly refused to acknowledge, or even consider in the first place, that SoLs, Evas, hell, even the Children of Adam have sex, that is, are capable of being female or male. This flies in the face of EVERYTHING, although until now I didn't have the full picture as to why. (Although my own recognition of the Evas' biological precedent has certainly proven itself on the deepest possible level, in a way that others will hopefully comprehend by the time I have cried my final "tear".)

I have long suspected that this frequent determination has something to do, fundamentally, with the Eva-tachi's somewhat "alien" nature -- the foot taken into "uncanny valley", wherein we are presented with something very, very human, but it doesn't quite fit our own expectations and causes that commonplace psychic dissonance I've frequently encountered in the reactions to my artwork*. I have little doubt that if the Evas were padded down with ample fat deposits in the "appropriate places", this problem wherein their femininity is not acknowledged would not even exist. Breasts - m00bz = female. This is a basic, albeit very flawed and restrictive, expression of human logic that proceeds like so:

Human + no breasts = not female.
Human + no breasts + not male = genderless.

Again, a very, very restrictive world view. The variety of other animals on this planet amply demonstrates that the same basic morphological framework can express itself in a huge variety of ways, thanks to the flexibility of genetics and the power of evolution. We have not been witness to the full potential of the humanoid form because (1) all other hominids are extinct, (2) we ourselves have stopped evolving (due to our technologically-aided severance from natural selection), and (3) because the humanoid form is somewhat counterintuitive in the grand scheme of Terran biology. (The only other animal I am aware of that takes on an even remotely similar stance for bipedal locomotion is the PENGUIN, a bird specialized for an aquatic environment.) Evas, ultimately, stem from (bunshin, anyone?) a variation on the humanoid form wherein the male/female sexual dimorphism prevalent in our own species does not exist. (Then, we never see what the males look like, so who knows where their species might have taken it...)

Another thought that occurs to me about why Anno and Yamashita chose such a design for the Evas may have some kind of connection to one of NGE's many recurring themes: that is, the audience is confronted with something that encourages them, forces even, to question their own preconceptions and expectations about various aspects of human nature and the human condition. Shinji exemplifies this to the full, owing to his "femininity" and the outrageous backlash his character has received because of it. This says, I think, MUCH more about the audience in question that anything else: It is no secret that advances in gender egalitarianism are often impeded by the frequently passe preconceptions about how females and males are "supposed" to behave and take expression as individuals, and the way in which NGE questions this ultimately ties into the theme of human potential (i.e., being restricted by nothing in life but our own search for happiness), which is something for another time and place.

The Evas -- and the SoLs -- serve as a variation upon this, as they stir up the audience (or the more perceptive members of the audience, anyhow) in a similar, but somewhat more obvious, manner as the COAs, wherein we are presented with a vision of humanity that does not conform to our own standards.

But to get back to the point of where this is all going, and how it all ultimately fits. Indeed, WHY it must be so for NGE's premises to work.

An integral, INSEVERIBLE part of what makes humanity what it is: sexuality. Our species' own ... unique approach to the subject of propagation and how we've let it complicate our ways to such an enormous degree, for better or for worse. But the point is, without human sexuality, you only have a very incomplete picture of "human". This is why NGE, a show about human nature, touches upon sexuality from most of the available angles: man-woman, boy-girl, man-girl, woman-boy, woman-woman, boy-boy, man-man, man-boy... You can find at least one example, however deeply hidden, for each of these many possibilities. (Also worth noting is how NGE does not skirt the issue of sexual tension and magnetism among RELATIVES, either, which is a very daring and honest move, IMO. "Leave no taboo unturned.")

In NGE, the sci-fi motif of the Human Lifecycle comes into play with the FAR (and how the Lilim -- or, rather, one among their numbers "chosen" for the privilege -- eventually fulfill their role in this eternal legacy). Now, while I won't get into the gruesome details yet, the FAR are intended to represent a prior incarnation of US. Or, rather, we are an offshoot of THEM. They are the humans without whom all other humans (SoLs, Lilim, Children of Adam, Evas) could not have been. Not only is the basic human mold passed along (even though our status as highly specialized apes makes us a variation on a theme and an example of "fated convergence"**), but the contents of the human heart and the basic human condition are, as well. On a metabiological level, we receive what the FAR have bequeathed upon us; that we are the only LDOs on Earth to achieve the "human mold" symbolizes our special status among LDOs, which I will keep to myself for now...

That said, sexuality is SUCH a basal and primitive aspect of humanity, there is no way that this could not have had precedents in our "First Ancestors". We are a version of them that simply looks slightly different. The idea that they themselves did not have males and females, sex, intimacy, eroticism, etc., is a ludicrous violation of the "endless propagation of humanity" theme. (Also consider why in the world sex would be missing from the FAR's legacy.) Adam and Lilith are Mothers, precisely because of "where they are coming from". It is no accident that females or, more specifically, mothers -- due to their importance to the Human Existence -- are the ones who are chosen to ultimately fulfill the Human Lifecycle. There is a reason why we only ever see females -- and mothers, at that -- put into Evas. Likewise, I suspect that my "policy" of "assigning genders" to Adam no kodomotachi was not a totally whimsical idea after all, but a very justified one.

As I will detail in another place, too, this will eventually tie into my own thoughts about the untainted eroticism and sensuality that Kaworu fundamentally represents. And how it relates back to his blue-haired counterpart. And who both of them originally were / truly are.

Please, people, have a little faith. Cut those Evas open, and you will find ovaries after all. Image

* In case you are unfamiliar with it, it explores the Evas' inherent biological nature to the full. Over the years, I have systematically stripped away the artificial covering to reach the pure entity beneath, while attempting to formulate the most logical and intuitive depiction of them. (Interpretation is necessary due to the oftentimes extreme level of inconsistency in the show and external sources.) This "urge" ultimately stemmed from my passionate interest, in the latter half of the 90's, in the field of paleontological restoration, that is, illustration that attempts to "recreate", from the available biological remains, a plausible recreation of what extinct animals may have looked like in the flesh.

** And I am only now considering the means by which metaphysical biology may ultimately account for, in a very logical manner, why this happened...

Originally posted on: 28-Dec-2005, 15:51 GMT

OMF [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby OMF [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:32 pm

Reichu wrote:It is no accident that females or, more specifically, mothers -- due to their importance to the Human Existence -- are the ones who are chosen to ultimately fulfill the Human Lifecycle. [b]There is a reason why we only ever see females -- and mothers, at that -- put into Evas.

What about "Akira"?

Originally posted on: 28-Dec-2005, 17:41 GMT

Return to “AnimeNation Archive”