Commentary: Episode #04

Notable old Evangelion threads from the AnimeNation Forums are preserved here.

Moderators: Monk Ed, Ornette

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:23 pm

omfg lmao!!1111 After gawd-knows-how-many-months, the first half of episode #04 is HERE!!! You all know what to do.

Now, if I don't get SOME psychology reading done this weekend... :sound of rapid footsteps:

Originally posted on: 13-Mar-2005, 22:28 GMT

Magami No ER [ANF]
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Magami No ER [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:24 pm

Ok, finally an episode I watched before doing commentary.

001: Rain. The most depressing and boring thing to look at in terms of weather. Much lik this episode is to many people :cough: Reichu:cough: But nevertheleass, I still like it for a few reasons, mostly character interaction and ect.

022, (Missing Number): She doesn't look like Misato, much less "discouraged". A lot of comments have been made about Misato's younger looking appearence in these early episodes, slightly bigger eyes, smaller mouth, and eylashes. They were still revamping her look, I guess.

033: I wonder what Kensuke and Touji thought that loud noise was, they couldn't have gone that far from the door.

043: Good thing Shinji's player was on (blowout sale on girls!?), though it probably wouldn't have nmade much difference, as completation in EOE reminded me so much of this scene. Once they went intp GNR, I mean.
053-62: Come back to senses? He seems more like he's lonely, or even wishes he could be in that situation, but knowing his weaknesses, he can't. Though, I guess he does seem to be a little more awoken.
I bet my eyes light up like that, it usually happens whenever I see people making out at school or the mall. -__-
62: No he looks a bit more frusterated, watching this "Living Hell on Earth".

More later.

Originally posted on: 13-Mar-2005, 22:51 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:24 pm

Magami No ER wrote:022, (Missing Number): She doesn't look like Misato, much less "discouraged".

It's a bloody storyboard! In some of them, the characters are disfigured blobs with South Park eyes. Image

Originally posted on: 13-Mar-2005, 23:06 GMT

Treize X [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Treize X [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:24 pm

...*grins*

Guess I might as well add my own stuff. Image

003: I've always thought of this as an interesting sequence, it's the first time we see Misato less bouncy than the previous episodes. It's also pretty amusing.

015: One of the first times we truly see Misato serious. It's an odd shot, in my opinion, putting Misato off to the side, but it's expected (she wears earrings to bed?).

020: You'd think that after what we'd seen (the letter, the security card in 014) she wouldn't expect Shinji to be back right away, if at all. Reveals a little of Misato's weakness, I suppose.

026: I'm curious, does Toji give strict military-style answers when dealing with beautiful women who aren't involved in the gov't? We never see him speak like this any other time.

027: And seeing as how she's the commander of operations and let them in in the first place, you'd think she'd know who they were simply by names, not needing confimation. =P

037: You would think they'd heard of compact discs. It is supposed to be the future...oh well. Might want to take note that the Walkman is in several integral scenes, including previously the flashback to the battle with Sachiel while Shinji lies in bed.

048: The first time I watched this, throughout the entire scene I was expecting an usher to kick these people out. Guess Second Impact changed things a little. =P

079: I think that little house looking structure is either a small shrine or...well, to put it bluntly, a toilet. A small toilet.

095: This strikes me as a little odd. Ritsuko is fairly cold, and has little to any sociable interaction with Shinji. Why is she so concerned? Perhaps it's just personal motives.

103: We just might get to see this room in a later episode...0.~

111: Cocky little Shinji...this always struck me as slightly odd as well. Shinji's behaving like he will in some later episodes, but it seems ironic since he's run away.

121: I LOVE this sequence. It's SO funny.

125: You might not notice immediately, but Kensuke is wearing a camoflauged uniform. It's the only time we ever see him in it, too.

My comments, for now.

Originally posted on: 13-Mar-2005, 23:09 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:24 pm

Treize X wrote:003: I've always thought of this as an interesting sequence, it's the first time we see Misato less bouncy than the previous episodes.

You miss out on the beginning of episode #03?

026: I'm curious, does Toji give strict military-style answers when dealing with beautiful women who aren't involved in the gov't? We never see him speak like this any other time.

He's not being military, just extremely polite. Like I said, he's trying to make a good impression. Lot of good it will do him. Image

037: You would think they'd heard of compact discs. It is supposed to be the future...oh well. Might want to take note that the Walkman is in several integral scenes, including previously the flashback to the battle with Sachiel while Shinji lies in bed.

I think we covered it when we did that episode. Image

079: I think that little house looking structure is either a small shrine or...well, to put it bluntly, a toilet. A small toilet.

You insult the Shintou religion?!?

095: This strikes me as a little odd. Ritsuko is fairly cold, and has little to any sociable interaction with Shinji. Why is she so concerned? Perhaps it's just personal motives.

I think this just has more to do with Ritsuko and Misato consumating their surface-level "friendship".

103: We just might get to see this room in a later episode...0.~

We do?

111: Cocky little Shinji...this always struck me as slightly odd as well. Shinji's behaving like he will in some later episodes, but it seems ironic since he's run away.

Run away? This is a flashback.

125: You might not notice immediately, but Kensuke is wearing a camoflauged uniform. It's the only time we ever see him in it, too.

Aren't they normally called fatigues?

Originally posted on: 13-Mar-2005, 23:44 GMT

Treize X [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Reichu wrote:You miss out on the beginning of episode #03?

Apparently so. Image

Reichu wrote:He's not being military, just extremely polite. Like I said, he's trying to make a good impression. Lot of good it will do him. Image

Meh, it seems military to me for some reason.

Reichu wrote:I think we covered it when we did that episode. Image

There goes that...

Reichu wrote:You insult the Shintou religion?!?

No...but it does kind of look like a small toilet to me. I'm guessing it's a shrine though...

Reichu wrote:I think this just has more to do with Ritsuko and Misato consumating their surface-level "friendship".

Seems much more hollow than when they're at that wedding with Kaji.

Reichu wrote:We do?

Same room (or another identical one) in which Shinji is contained in #19, Ritsuko in #25'. It also might be where they hold Misato during Fuyutski's abduction, but we can't tell due to low light.

Reichu wrote:Run away? This is a flashback.

I meant he had run away and technically, we're in present time, seeing as how this is a flashback to the past. I phrased it weirdly, let's see if I can salvage it...

111: Cocky little Shinji...this always struck me as slightly odd as well. Shinji's behaving like he will in some later episodes, but it seems ironic since he's going to run away.

Reichu wrote:Aren't they normally called fatigues?

Technically yes, but I was slightly braindead today, I forgot what they called them. Came up with a suitable sub.

Originally posted on: 14-Mar-2005, 00:26 GMT

Ark [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Ark [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:24 pm

Some may disagree but in my opinion #4 is one of the most meaningful episodes in the series. I also appreciate it because it makes clear early in the series that this is not some simple mecha vs monster type show. I don't know why some people still act like Anno changed the direction of the series half way through even if they've seen this episode.

063 This movie theater must be run by someone as there are films playing but they don't seem to have a problem with people sleeping there.

072 I've always found Shinji's hallucination scene a little over the top. What are they trying to say that Shinji's inability to communicate with others causes the world around him to move around and become purple?

I think we shouldn't take the scene so literally. Basically I think he's just afraid of being out alone at night with no where to go. Maybe he finds the cicadas to be an oppressive presence. I've been to Florida and they can get pretty loud.

Originally posted on: 14-Mar-2005, 00:51 GMT

Treize X [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Ark wrote:Some may disagree but in my opinion #4 is one of the most meaningful episodes in the series. I also appreciate it because it makes clear early in the series that this is not some simple mecha vs monster type show. I don't know why some people still act like Anno changed the direction of the series half way through even if they've seen this episode.

063 This movie theater must be run by someone as there are films playing but they don't seem to have a problem with people sleeping there.

072 I've always found Shinji's hallucination scene a little over the top. What are they trying to say that Shinji's inability to communicate with others causes the world around him to move around and become purple?

I think we shouldn't take the scene so literally. Basically I think he's just afraid of being out alone at night with no where to go. Maybe he finds the cicadas to be an oppressive presence. I've been to Florida and they can get pretty loud.

...What part of Florida? I've been all over the state (and incidentally, live there) and don't notice them too much. It's quiet, usually.

Originally posted on: 14-Mar-2005, 00:54 GMT

Quiddity [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Quiddity [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:24 pm

Some may disagree but in my opinion #4 is one of the most meaningful episodes in the series. I also appreciate it because it makes clear early in the series that this is not some simple mecha vs monster type show. I don't know why some people still act like Anno changed the direction of the series half way through even if they've seen this episode.

I agree. This episode was an interesting change of pace compared to what you'd expect from the typical mecha show. For not only the action, but the plot to stop entirely for an episode was quite an interesting path to take. In saying that the plot stops I don't mean its a waste of an episode, but it certainly can't be put on the level of say an episode 14 or 17 which don't feature new Angels to fight but still are plot heavy episodes. Focusing entirely on Shinji and his early anguish with the Eva gives us a pretty good result. Although I have to admit the typing up/translation process certainly didn't enthrall me as much as the other 3 episodes I've worked on thus far (3,5,6).

Hopefully I should have some actual commentary for this episode, eventually. At the very least I've already got some stuff for episode 5 ready.

Originally posted on: 14-Mar-2005, 00:58 GMT

Ark [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Ark [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:24 pm

Quiddity wrote:In saying that the plot stops I don't mean its a waste of an episode, but it certainly can't be put on the level of say an episode 14 or 17 which don't feature new Angels to fight but still are plot heavy episodes.

I don't really think you can compare 14 and 17 with 4.

#4 is esoteric (I like that word) whereas the other two are plot based but just without angels.

The only one that can really be compared with #4 is #15 cos thats completely character development with no plot at all (with the exception of kajis revelations in the last 2 minutes of the show).

I just felt that there was something very mature about this episode. There were hints of this in the previous episodes but they were balanced with moments of humour. This on the other hand was a depressing acid trip through the Japan.

Originally posted on: 14-Mar-2005, 02:20 GMT

The Eva Monkey [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:24 pm

Reichu wrote:Cicada-induced hallucinations? Can someone please tell me what the hell is going on?

071 - Film makers occasionally use a degree of surreal imagery or instances to convey something in a work of film. I believe this is essentially what we are seeing here. There is no logical reason why Shinji would be "hallucinating". Rather, I think that we are seeing his emotional state being conveyed by surreal imagery. Shinji is "feeling" his world closing in on and swarming about him, as if his present circumstances are tormenting him, regardless of how he runs from them.

Originally posted on: 14-Mar-2005, 02:24 GMT

thewayneiac [ANF]
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby thewayneiac [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:25 pm

021: I'm supprised their noses aren't bleeding.

023: I'm going to resist the obvious comment here.

032: Look out! She's going to blow!

034: Thrill to the dropped flowers scene! (Whoops, no. Wrong anime.)

038: He's paid his fare, now he's going to get the most out of this ride.

49-62: This always seems to be a really terrible movie.

79: It's a roadside shrine, isn't it?

92: This must be some of that "sabisu" Misato's been promising us.

107: Shinji's got a good point here. Maybe she should trust the pilot's judgement. After all, he was in the battle; she was safe in a bunker.

111: Another good point. Keep them coming. Of course the trouble is he doesn't mean it. He says "I'll pilot it; then he runs away.

120: Okay, I only allow one violation of the law of incredible coincidence per episode, and this is it.

Originally posted on: 14-Mar-2005, 02:32 GMT

Shin-seiki [ANF]
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby Shin-seiki [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:25 pm

003-008
This sequence demonstrates that no one is very beautiful or glamorous when she first gets out of bed... (the foot-scratching is a nice touch)

Somehow ADV turned "Shin-chan's room" into "Shinji's Lovely Suite" in the old (pre-Platinum) version.

Interesting that he used the formal honorific "-sama" here; that's something that I never caught on to before...

SUBTITLE:
Episode #04 "Rain, After Running Away"
Reichu wrote:According to Evangelion Original I, the original subtitle was "Samayoeru Third Children", or "The Wandering Third Children".

Perhaps this would be an opportune point to quote from the Renewal Episode Comments for #04 included with Platinum Vol 01:
In actuality, this episode was once omitted in terms of the series composition and it was planned that what is now Episode Five would come after Episode Three. But as production progressed, staff members voiced their opinion that perhaps there was a need to depict Shinji's relationship with the people around him after Episode Three, and thus, this episode was made, greatly changing the contents from what had originally been concieved. Because of this, the script for this episode was written after the script for Episode Five had already been finalized. This is the one and only episode of all the TV and movie episodes in which Director Anno did not have a direct hand in the plot and script.

Originally posted on: 14-Mar-2005, 02:57 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:25 pm

Magami No ER wrote:001: Rain. The most depressing and boring thing to look at in terms of weather.

Yeah, but it's nice to listen to!

Much lik this episode is to many people :cough: Reichu:cough:

No Evas, no Angels. Yes, I can be very shallow sometimes!

A lot of comments have been made about Misato's younger looking appearence in these early episodes, slightly bigger eyes, smaller mouth, and eylashes. They were still revamping her look, I guess.

IMO, she does look genuinely weird in this episode.

032(don't use this) the link doesn't work for me.

Works now.

043: Good thing Shinji's player was on(Blowout sale on girls!?)

Yep. Cheap, cheap, cheap!

though it probably wouldn't have nmade much difference, as completation in EOE reminded me so much of this scene.

Just because they're both noisy?

053-62: Come back to senses? he seems more like he's lonely, or even wishes he could be in that situation, but knowing his weaknesses, he can't. Thouh, I guess he does seem to be a little more awoken.

"Come back to his senses", i.e., that "Paper Mario"-esque vacancy in his eyes disappears.

Treize X wrote:Meh, it seems military to me for some reason.

Nah. Military Japanese is the sort of thing we hear at Nerv HQ. It's different, trust me.

Same room (or another identical one) in which Shinji is contained in #19, Ritsuko in #25'. It also might be where they hold Misato during Fuyutski's abduction, but we can't tell due to low light.

I think you're thinking of the room where Misato talks to Shinji before he 'resigns' from Nerv, in the second half of the episode. Like the script says, here they're just talking inside some Nerv vehicle after the battle with Shammy. (Shinji seems awfully sassy considering what he just went through, too.)

Ark wrote:Some may disagree but in my opinion #4 is one of the most meaningful episodes in the series. I also appreciate it because it makes clear early in the series that this is not some simple mecha vs monster type show. I don't know why some people still act like Anno changed the direction of the series half way through even if they've seen this episode.

As Shin-seiki already posted, Anno technically wasn't responsible for this one...

It's an all-night theatre... I guess whoever's operating it at all hours doesn't give a damn.

thewayneiac wrote:034: Thrill to the dropped flowers scene! (Whoops, no. Wrong anime.)

:wonders what Wayne is referring to:

Originally posted on: 14-Mar-2005, 13:37 GMT

Shin-seiki [ANF]
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

thewayniac wrote:034: Thrill to the dropped flowers scene! (Whoops, no. Wrong anime.)

Reichu wrote::wonders what Wayne is referring to:

WARNING! The screencaps linked here constitute a SEVERE SPOILER to the anime series Brother, Dear Brother (Oniisama E). Do not view if you are watching, or anticipate that you might someday be watching this series!
http://homepage.mac.com/csf2860/BDB-33/01.jpg
http://homepage.mac.com/csf2860/BDB-33/02.jpg
http://homepage.mac.com/csf2860/BDB-33/03.jpg
http://homepage.mac.com/csf2860/BDB-33/04.jpg
http://homepage.mac.com/csf2860/BDB-33/05.jpg
http://homepage.mac.com/csf2860/BDB-33/07.jpg
http://homepage.mac.com/csf2860/BDB-33/08.jpg
http://homepage.mac.com/csf2860/BDB-33/09.jpg
http://homepage.mac.com/csf2860/BDB-33/10.jpg
http://homepage.mac.com/csf2860/BDB-33/11.jpg

Originally posted on: 14-Mar-2005, 14:27 GMT

Shin-seiki [ANF]
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Note how, despite her blasé reaction to Shinji running off in cut 018, it is obvious from her demeanor here that Misato is very worried about him. Throughout the series there are instances like this where what the characters say (even to themselves) is undercut by their actual behavior a scene or two later. (For example, note how Asuka, as she is about to sortie in Unit-02 in #23, tells herself that she doesn't care about anything anymore, but then is obviously traumatized by the fact that her synch-rate has got so bad she can't even get EVA-02 to move...)

026-028
The look on Kensuke's face thru this sequence is the funniest part of this whole episode.

Misato is quite a facile liar when she needs to be.

032-033
Her extravagant reaction here is probably a result of her disgust with herself at having to tell a lie (the credibility of which is undermined by her behavior in cut 020). The head-shrinks call this sort of thing "projection"...

Originally posted on: 14-Mar-2005, 15:27 GMT

Magami No ER [ANF]
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Magami No ER [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:25 pm

Quick comment:
121: Is that a Z1 at the top righthand corner of the screen?(Doesn't much like that pampas grass)

Originally posted on: 14-Mar-2005, 17:13 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:25 pm

Magami No ER wrote:Quick comment:
121: Is that a Z1 at the top righthand corner of the screen?(Doesn't much like that pampas grass)

It's supposed to be "ZI" for "zoomed-in"... In the cuts where action is only happening in a relatively small portion of the screen, I opted to make the first screenshot the full frame, but to make subsequent ones cropped so that more details would be discernible from a thumbnail. I suppose for the future I'll put "CROP" in the corner instead in such cases. C-029 inspired me to do this -- since all of the thumbnails would have been indistinguishable if I didn't crop them -- and it seemed worthwhile to utilize with other cuts, as well...

Booklet Commentary wrote:In actuality, this episode was once omitted in terms of the series composition and it was planned that what is now Episode Five would come after Episode Three. But as production progressed, staff members voiced their opinion that perhaps there was a need to depict Shinji's relationship with the people around him after Episode Three, and thus, this episode was made, greatly changing the contents from what had originally been concieved. Because of this, the script for this episode was written after the script for Episode Five had already been finalized. This is the one and only episode of all the TV and movie episodes in which Director Anno did not have a direct hand in the plot and script.

It seems odd to consider the prospects of episode #04 being altogether absent... if for no other reason that, at the beginning of #05, Shinji would be mysteriously buddy-buddy with Kensuke and Toji. We really do need the events of #04 to explain how the friendships formulate; just letting them into the entry plug in #03 is hardly enough!

Originally posted on: 14-Mar-2005, 17:47 GMT

tv33 [ANF]
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby tv33 [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:25 pm

004 - You would think NERV has better things to do then manufacture cheap merchandise. Maybe they have LCL lava lamps in the gift shop too.

033 11; I wonder if Toji and Kensuke are still by the door30;

065 11; Ooooh! Pretty!

112 11; Of course he will still pilot it. I mean, after all, we still have 22 episodes, and two movies left to go!

(I17;m just full of useful comments, huh?)

Originally posted on: 14-Mar-2005, 18:51 GMT

Mr. Tines [ANF]
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:25 pm

Without looking at what anyone else has said...

004: As resident technology watcher, I'll say that's a very reassuringly old-fashioned analog alarm (so old-fashioned it's trendy again). And with a NERV logo on the dial too!

016: This shows that Shinji hasn't acquired any significant new personal possessions in the weeks since his arrival, if he's still able to pack everything in the bag in cut 035...

028: She's grown up, she's in a position of authority - and she's hawt! Of course it's best behaviour time. (smarm, smarm)

033: Emotionally and professionally invested. She went out on a limb to get him to stay with her rather than by himself (apartment 403, perhaps?) in the first place.

035: though this bag is bigger than his rucksack from ep#1 scene #1, which appears to be all he arrived with.

038: Rush-hour to mid-morning pass, at least. This isn't any sort of local train, if the guy with the book is there long enough to have a nap after the bulk of the commuters have left. Even with a frequently stopping service I'd reckon he's covered more than 50 miles by now, which makes the loop-line quite impressively long

054: this sounds like a long-term sort of change (fast axial change would simply melt the whole crust and game over); but...

057: ...that sounds like a prompt effect

062: If we saw the screen, we'd see the movie-maker's version of some of our actual characters

065: "Red sky... The colour I hate." If blue sky with cloud is symbolic elsewhere, is this too? Or is it a case of "sometimes a cigar is just a cigar"?

067: It's already gone beyond morning cool into heat.

071: Overwhelmed by heat/lack of food/lack of good sleep, feeling hung over without the preceding high of drunkenness?

072: Just want the din to shut up! The background noise can get to be like tinnitus.

079: Waiting for Totoro?

080: We'll see this again

081: and this one, repeatedly.

088: and this one

089: Like times and dates, distances are "as long as they need be". he's had the chance to turn this into a road movie, but he's just been moving in circles (literally, as well as metaphorically).

091: Well, now we know he's neither a jumper (or a drowner)

092: Well, they keep up the fiction that Rei is 14. And this is our first panty-shot of the series. Otherwise her bandaging is "convenient" in places.

094: the red lines suggest some form of optical tomography, possibly to calibrate the other optical scanner.

102: Shinji in his secret identity as "Mr. Gomen"

105: In the army, that's called dumb insolence. Put him on KP for the next month. No, wait, Misato already did that when sharing out the chores.

109: NERV health insurance sure doesn't include counselling. He ought to be off down the MO tout suite; as it is, he gets Catch 22'd.

111: Send in the clones! (well, if they didn't have to make do with one soul between the lot of them, that is).

121: Ah, sweet cliché, reminiscent of every tale of GIs slogging their way up past Monte Cassino.

124: Last sunlight reflecting off lenses - just like Gendou.

And after looking at other comments

Magami No ER wrote:053-62: I bet my eyes light up like that, it usually happens whenever I see people making out at school or the mall.

I'd put that down to looking up, and now reflecting the screen. He looks like he's watching the courtship ritual of some alien species - I guess I would have done at his age.

Treize X wrote:015: (she wears earrings to bed?).

There's a reason they call studs like that "sleepers".

Treize X wrote:048: The first time I watched this, throughout the entire scene I was expecting an usher to kick these people out.

064: This says something about an all-night showing, according the the ADV titling

Originally posted on: 14-Mar-2005, 19:40 GMT

Return to “AnimeNation Archive”