Commentary: Episode #03

Notable old Evangelion threads from the AnimeNation Forums are preserved here.

Moderators: Monk Ed, Ornette

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:15 pm

Well, I couldn't stand the lack of activity on teh f0rum, so I forced myself to finish the first half of #03. After this many months, it's about fscking time. Still, it was painful. Hopefully, the second half will come a little easier... (It's got EVA-01 and Shamshel. Of course it will.)

Meantime, though, comment away. You know how to get there. :points to signature:

And, yes, I will update #01, #02, and the OP, and actually create a page for FMTTM. Eventually.

Originally posted on: 28-Nov-2004, 21:27 GMT

Keisuke-kun [ANF]
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Keisuke-kun [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:15 pm

002: Its interesting to note that the level of understanding they need to learn when piloting the Eva is kinda like school. Japanese school is very stressful on students which is why Japan has teh highest suicide rate (last time I checked). The students are always pushed to continue studying and studying. And when they're done they study some more. The Japanese school system is prepearing for an entrence test to high school. Then preparing for High school tests. Then when your done with high school you take the college test. Then in college you don't really do anything. Then when you get a job you take another test. All this requires a lot of very serious study and some students can't handle it. Similar to memorizing all the eva features, exits, weapon depots ect.

002 (ctd.) The Evas were created with a limitation of technology?...

005: Reichu does it really say "her" in the script or are you just excercising your power?

032: Wow...Thats hot.

036: Another note on itteraaahai. Lets say Im gonna go to Tsutaya(or blockbuster. same thing). And I want my friend to go so I hint I want him to go by saying something like "Hey Im going to Tsutaya..." (boka wa Tsutaya ni iku). Well if he doesn't wanna go he can just say "Hai, Itterasshai." Meaning your the only one whos going.

Originally posted on: 28-Nov-2004, 21:55 GMT

Mr. Tines [ANF]
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:15 pm

Cut #002 - as shown in the boot sequence in ep1 cut #310, the display isn't just confined to the "cabin window" area.

Cut #020 - revealed as the one and only time that an Eva gets to play in the Holodeck/Danger Room. And one of the few times an Eva is active outside of a combat situation.

Cut #065 - must be the warm wet climate that makes the trees grow quickly (or is it meant to be a a bamboo forest?). That has to be where Sachiel was N2'd - but you'd expect to see flattened trees beyond the crater where the earth was excavated.

Cut #071 - there are less pupils here than there were in the survey of the class in 50-54.

Cut #084 - Did the chalk monitor forget to clear the board at the end of the previous lesson - or previous day?

The katakana give the subject of the current class, and have no relationship with the simple algebra that covers most of the board (and what a difference a few years make - no chunks here of the introduction to 'C' programming like there was on the board in SE Lain).

Cut #085 - the class is full again, ready to mob the new kid. Also the laptops only have one cable - so either they're all running on batteries or all using wireless networking. Ah, the innocence of the days when the 'net was only just starting to reach the general public.

Cut #087 - And what OS are they running? For once, it's a computer shown in the media that is not running some flavour of MacOS. They are clearly networked, but are just acting like "glass typewriters", 1970s style - a lot lower tech than in cut #002, whatever the means for achieving that display.

Cut #100 - Shinji's fangirls have no staying power. We never see them again after this.

Originally posted on: 28-Nov-2004, 22:28 GMT

Magami No ER [ANF]
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Magami No ER [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:15 pm

Problem solved with my computer, so I'll delete my above post.

Originally posted on: 28-Nov-2004, 22:43 GMT

Magami No ER [ANF]
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Magami No ER [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:15 pm

I know I said I wouldn't have anything to contribute, but I'm fickle so what the hell:
032: Evangelion's know for having many subtle messages that are important for understanding the plot, but it's weird how the Weather girl blantenly says "We have hot days all year now, but Japan once had four seasons" I guess they were testing the audience to see if they would pay attention, though it's a pretty clear message.It's rare to see such an easy clue in Eva.

076: To save you from a giant green monster with a bird-like face? But seriously, Touji has the right to be upset.

097:I wish my teachers would go off into their own little worlds. ;p But what the teacher says in these early episodes builds up our understanding of the setting.

123: It's nice that the show doesn't wreck this moment with uneeded fanservice, as a panty-shot. They go straight for nudity. ;p

127: Shamshel really does remind me of some kind of ocean dwelling organism(or prehaps a swimming dragonfly larva)

Originally posted on: 28-Nov-2004, 23:09 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:16 pm

Keisuke-kun wrote:002 (ctd.) The Evas were created with a limitation of technology?...

She was talking about how long the "internal battery" lasts.

005: Reichu does it really say "her" in the script or are you just excercising your power?

Hey, that's my policy. Call the Evas "she"/"her" in the descriptions, and let all of the ignorant, insensitive characters call them "it". Image

Originally posted on: 28-Nov-2004, 23:20 GMT

Mr. Tines [ANF]
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:16 pm

Magami No ER wrote:123: It's nice that the show doesn't wreck this moment with uneeded fanservice, as a panty-shot. They go straight for nudity. ;p

And I don't recall Rei putting on a petticoat or slip in any other scene.

Originally posted on: 28-Nov-2004, 23:35 GMT

Magami No ER [ANF]
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Magami No ER [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:16 pm

Pretty sure that is the interior fabric(white cloth with a little bit of ruffles)sewn underneath the skirt. We see her get changed into her uniform in episode five, and she puts on no petticoat. Image

Originally posted on: 28-Nov-2004, 23:42 GMT

tv33 [ANF]
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby tv33 [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:16 pm

025 - Considering he is playing what is probably the most advance video game in the world you would think he could be more excited...

045 - I guess cell phones really are getting to small, seeing as how in the future they decided to make them the same size they were in, I don't know, say 1995?

053 - Mighty big words from Ritsuko. Is this a case of "takes one to know one"? A Pot calling the kettle black, perhaps?

060 - It occurs to me that Kensuke looks a lot like Jean Ratlique from Nadia. Which I guess make sense, as they had the same character designer.

069 - Reichu made a good point, that if the A-2 class was set up to consist only of Eva pilots why were some students allowed to leave?

070 - Why is it that Toji doesn't have to obey the dress code?

092 - Some more then others...

095 - Jeeze! What kind of secret origination is this? Hasn't Shinji ever heard the expression "loose lips sink ships?"

Originally posted on: 29-Nov-2004, 02:16 GMT

Magami No ER [ANF]
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Magami No ER [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:16 pm

tv33 wrote:095 – Jeeze! What kind of secret origination is this? Hasn't Shinji ever heard the expression “loose lips sink ships?”

Like most kids my age dealing with "secret organizations", he etheir forgot(what would've happened to me) or just didn't even care. However,I don't know how secretive Nerv would be in Tokyo 3 anyway.If those girls who asked Shinji if he piloted Eva were in a evacutation shelter, how did they know about a "gaint robot" in the first place?

Originally posted on: 29-Nov-2004, 02:27 GMT

Keisuke-kun [ANF]
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Keisuke-kun [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:16 pm

tv33 wrote:070 - Why is it that Toji doesn't have to obey the dress code?

Im not sure but in my school there are ome kids who don't where the whole uniform (hell I take off my jacket sometimes cause its hot. Most of the times the teachers don't care. In toujis case hes wearing gym clothes and some girls do that in my school for one class and the teachers tell them off. I don't think the teacher in Shinji class knows he has students.

038: Another indication that no one else lives at misatos apartement building.

041: Reichu: Did she say Kareshi? I can't check.

042: First time I saw this i though Goddamn she smokes a lot.

047: Reminds me of me when I was 9.

049: Misatos talking like blonde now...

054: Anyone else think this girl looks kinda like Akane Tendou?

065: Our little conspiracy theory boy Kensuke is...

070: Im guessing only the important candidates were made to stay.

075: I think all the candidates parents work or have worked for Nerv or Gehirn at one time.

078: Uhoooh Shinji doing a baddie baddie...

Originally posted on: 29-Nov-2004, 04:09 GMT

Keisuke-kun [ANF]
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Keisuke-kun [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:16 pm

080: Reichu this isn't a court its a classroom. Just "stand" is fine.

082: And all the other clasrooms are (most likely) empty.., Christ how many people live in Tokyo 3 Is it just Nerv Personnel? Probably.

Newbs don't be confused by the teachers babble. Just don't listen to him. Like all the other students in his class. Its all a conspiracy that kensuke hasn't picked up on. The most important thing in his speech is untrue. It wasn't a meteor.

Is it interesting how news reporst say it was a meteor only a few centimeters in diameter and the teach says it was massive? It could show that there was no cover-up. Second impact happened and then there was hundreds of stories about what caused it so SEELE thought to just leave it as it is. Or its its just a discrepancy in the story.

102: He noticed the chime but not the students? He must be senile...

112: When doesn't Shinji pity himself?

127: Im not sure if this was mentioned but Shamshels whole head (from aerial view) look like the owl face depicted on several angels.

Originally posted on: 29-Nov-2004, 09:41 GMT

Shin-seiki [ANF]
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby Shin-seiki [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:16 pm

Ritsuko here, as is so often the case, is serving as a conduit for background information and exposition for the audience's benefit (sort of like Nigel Exposition in 'Austin Powers').

002-004
This crap about the Eva being able to run at full power off battery for only one minute is set forth here, only to be disregarded just about every time it comes up later in the series; i.e. the Evas, for all practical purposes, have a five minute operating margin, not just one minute (see, for example, #25')

Geeze... He can hardly contain his enthusiasm [/sarcasm]

Wow, the computer simulation Sachiel has been somehow persuaded to not utilize his AT Field.

This sort of close-up, with the harsh, unnatural lighting, is utilized here, and in scenes in other episodes, to achieve a certain impersonal, dehumanized, "Kubrick-esque" effect...

It's fair to say that Ritsuko is reading Shinji "like a book" here, yet this episode will prove that Shinji is capable of acting on his own initiative, (however psychotic he seems while doing so...)

Uh, Shinji, the idea is that you pilot a "robot", not that you are one...

Originally posted on: 29-Nov-2004, 14:35 GMT

Shin-seiki [ANF]
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Yuka Miramura (Asuka's VA) is earning her paycheck by doing Weather Girl's voice here (since we still have a ways to go before Asuka shows up)

039-045
This scene is mirrored much, much later in NGE...

Ritsuko (OFF) "How's it going? Are you getting along with your boyfriend?"
A little dig, possibly referencing Misato's "It's not like I'm going to 'put the moves' on a kid" line from #02.

While I generally tend to regard Ritsuko as possessing above-average physical attractiveness, I must say that chain-smoking is a big turn-off. Kissing a girl who smokes is about as inviting as licking an ashtray.

On a side note, here's the first appearance of her little cat figurines, which symbolize something that doesn't come up till near the end of the series.

Misato (OFF) "He hasn't gotten any phone calls."
Episode title explained.

049-058
Ritsuko (OFF) "It's the same with some humans. Shinji-kun is probably afraid of pain... and has become a coward somewhere in his heart."
I don't see how you could possibly nail Shinji any more precisely than that.
Ritsuko seems to be remarkably insightful about everyone else but herself...

It's interesting how, while Ritsuko is explaining the "Hedgehog's Dilemma" (a major theme of the series, btw), we see most of the kids in Shinji's class socializing together in a normal manner; it's our two pilots charged with saving the world who seem to be almost autistic in the way they fail to connect with the others.

050-054
This sequence is mirrored several episodes later.

I always notice in this episode that Shinji's class seems to have an abundance of really cute girls. Unfortunately, with the exception of Hikari, we don't get to know any of them as the series goes on.

056-057
The quiet, mysterious girl staring out the classroom window, in her own little world, is a pretty common, recognizable type in anime...

Originally posted on: 29-Nov-2004, 16:11 GMT

Sharp-kun [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Sharp-kun [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:16 pm

You had to put this up the night before my big economics test didn't you >_>

Now I have to choose..... study, or Eva....

Originally posted on: 29-Nov-2004, 17:13 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

tv33 wrote:025 – Considering he is playing what is probably the most advance video game in the world you would think he could be more excited…

An ordinary boy Shinji is not.

045 – I guess cell phones really are getting to small, seeing as how in the future they decided to make them the same size they were in, I don't know, say 1995?

This recalls Dr. Nick's earlier comment about NGE's "futuristic technology" (or, ahem, lack thereof). It's "futuristic" only as needed. Image Create deities and transfer souls from one body to another? No problem! Get a battery to hold more than five minutes' worth of energy for the Evas? Erm...

069 – Reichu made a good point, that if the A-2 class was set up to consist only of Eva pilots why were some students allowed to leave?

I'll have to dig up the original thread... Do you remember which one it was/

070 – Why is it that Toji doesn't have to obey the dress code?

Cuz he'll beat up anyone who argues with it. But anyway, I do recall Toji wearing his uniform is some later episode or another, tho I can't remember which offhand.

Magami no ER wrote:Like most kids my age dealing with "secret organizations", he etheir forgot(what would've happened to me) or just didn't even care. However,I don't know how secretive Nerv would be in Tokyo 3 anyway.If those girls who asked Shinji if he piloted Eva were in a evacutation shelter, how did they know about a "gaint robot" in the first place?

I think by that point, Shinji's willing to say stuff -- however "classified" -- just to make these crazy kids leave him alone. (It would've been a great opportunity to spin some elaborate BS; his classmates look like they would buy just about anything.) Also, the "robot incident" seems to be common knowledge, even if not many actually saw it firsthand (gossip is a powerful thing).

Keisuke-kun wrote:I don't think the teacher in Shinji class knows he has students.

:lol:

041: Reichu: Did she say Kareshi? I can't check.

Ritsuko does, but Misato just replies with kare. Can't "kare" mean "boyfriend" by itself anyhow? (Kind of like how kanojo can mean both "she" and "girlfriend".)

042: First time I saw this i though Goddamn she smokes a lot.

Any more than the average Japanese woman?

049: Misatos talking like blonde now...

She just says 'togetoge no', so I thought "spiky things" was an appropriate equivalent.

054: Anyone else think this girl looks kinda like Akane Tendou?

I can see that.

065: Our little conspiracy theory boy Kensuke is...

Image Is what?

070: Im guessing only the important candidates were made to stay.

Weren't all of the kids in 2-A of equal qualifications? (No idea why Toji was the only one to actually be used, though.)

075: I think all the candidates parents work or have worked for Nerv or Gehirn at one time.

I'm sure it would have been easier to arrange 'accidents' for the mums that way.

078: Uhoooh Shinji doing a baddie baddie...

Huh?

080: Reichu this isn't a court its a classroom. Just "stand" is fine.

Fine, I'll change it. :grumble grumble:

082: And all the other clasrooms are (most likely) empty.., Christ how many people live in Tokyo 3 Is it just Nerv Personnel? Probably.

There seemed to be an above-average number of people on the streets in episode #11. Maybe that's just hazy memory talking.

Newbs don't be confused by the teachers babble. Just don't listen to him. Like all the other students in his class. Its all a conspiracy that kensuke hasn't picked up on. The most important thing in his speech is untrue. It wasn't a meteor.

Aside from the meteor bit, though, the rest seems to be pretty accurate.

Is it interesting how news reporst say it was a meteor only a few centimeters in diameter and the teach says it was massive?

That wasn't a news report - it was Shinji's textbook. I'd say this is just an discrepancy -- or we can just blame it on the teacher's age. ;)

127: Im not sure if this was mentioned but Shamshels whole head (from aerial view) look like the owl face depicted on several angels.

I would have mentioned it eventually. :P

Shin-seiki wrote:002
Ritsuko here, as is so often the case, is serving as a conduit for background information and exposition for the audience's benefit (sort of like Nigel Exposition in 'Austin Powers').

Basil Exposition, dear. ;)

002-004
This crap about the Eva being able to run at full power off battery for only one minute is set forth here, only to be disregarded just about every time it comes up later in the series; i.e. the Evas, for all practical purposes, have a five minute operating margin, not just one minute (see, for example, #25')

And whenever it suits the plot, it lasts substantially longer. (#24 is the only example I can think of offhand. I never tried to actually time how long Sho and Ni were operating sans umbilical cable, but it always seemed to be a bit longer than 5 min to me.) They do adhere to the 1-minute rule for the 'dance' in episode #09, though.

Heh, #25' is in blatant disregard for this rule, considering we even see the internal energy monitor thingy at its highest setting, "Racing". (Things would have been quite a bit less interesting if Kyoko and Asuka were down after one minute. Then again, that would've given them the opportunity to go into bousou mode without having harpies to contend with...) Maybe the technology just improves marginally sometime after episode #09? :look:

While I generally tend to regard Ritsuko as possessing above-average physical attractiveness, I must say that chain-smoking is a big turn-off. Kissing a girl who smokes is about as inviting as licking an ashtray.

I imagine that to the Japanese, who seem to be where the US was in the 50's when it comes to smoking, this detail of Ritsuko's lifestyle doesn't detract any points.

On a side note, here's the first appearance of her little cat figurines, which symbolize something that doesn't come up till near the end of the series.

Can you explain here (me interested), or do I have to wait for the Ritsuko thread?

050-054
This sequence is mirrored several episodes later.

Which episode?

I always notice in this episode that Shinji's class seems to have an abundance of really cute girls. Unfortunately, with the exception of Hikari, we don't get to know any of them as the series goes on.

And whenever they need a cute female classmate in the various video games, they create one from scratch, as opposed to fleshing out one of the preexisting ones. (I suppose with Mana this was necessary, but what about the one in Second Impression?)

056-057

The quiet, mysterious girl staring out the classroom window, in her own little world, is a pretty common, recognizable type in anime...

Have you seen it anywhere aside from Azumanga Daioh, out of curiosity?

Originally posted on: 29-Nov-2004, 17:30 GMT

EVAN -1 [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby EVAN -1 [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:16 pm

048 - A view from the window of Ritsuko in her office.

Where the hell is this looking out to? She works underground?

Originally posted on: 29-Nov-2004, 18:05 GMT

Shin-seiki [ANF]
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Reichu wrote:This recalls Dr. Nick's earlier comment about NGE's "futuristic technology" (or, ahem, lack thereof). It's "futuristic" only as needed. Image Create deities and transfer souls from one body to another? No problem! Get a battery to hold more than five minutes' worth of energy for the Evas? Erm...

AWL and friends joke about the "futuristic" Mac Powerbook laptop Maya uses in EoE.
Basil Exposition, dear. Image

Whatever! (it's been a while since I watched it)
Can you explain here (me interested), or do I have to wait for the Ritsuko thread?

I don't want to give too much away, but we get a couple lingering close-ups of the cats on her desk in #23; I (as is my wont) figure that Anno Is Trying To Tell Us Something™... it has some relevance to "Commander Ikari, my cat died..." too. I will elaborate in the relevant thread whenever I get this massive mess of screencaps and comments organized into presentable form.
Which episode?

It would probably be funnier to point it out in context when the time comes (several commentaries from now), but I can elaborate now, if you're really interested.
Have you seen it anywhere aside from Azumanga Daioh, out of curiosity?

Geeze! doesn't a whole TWO examples qualify as a general trend?!
:edit:
OK, I just thought of another (Madoka Ayakawa, in KOR), but I don't have any screencaps handy...

Originally posted on: 29-Nov-2004, 18:20 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

EVAN -1 wrote:Where the hell is this looking out to? She works underground?

Her office might be inside the Nerv HQ pyramid (or random other Geofront building), in which case, yes, there would be an "outside". (Recall Gendo watching his beloved Yui rampaging in #19 from behind the window of his office, which is at the top of the pyramid.) Also, it's not completely out of the question for interior walls to have windows in them, however useless they oftentimes are.

Then again, this could just be a complete lapse of reason on the creators' part.

Shin-seiki wrote:I don't want to give too much away, but we get a couple lingering close-ups of the cats on her desk in #23; I (as is my wont) figure that Anno Is Trying To Tell Us Something™... it has some relevance to "Commander Ikari, my cat died..." too. I will elaborate in the relevant thread whenever I get this massive mess of screencaps and comments organized into presentable form.

NooooOOOOOOoooo!!

It would probably be funnier to point it out in context when the time comes (several commentaries from now), but I can elaborate now, if you're really interested.

I guess I'll hold my breath, then.

Geeze! doesn't a whole TWO examples qualify as a general trend?!

Two, no; three, maybe. Image (BTW, is Kimagure Orange Road an anime that you actually DON'T have on file somewhere?)

Originally posted on: 29-Nov-2004, 18:42 GMT

Mr. Tines [ANF]
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:17 pm

Reichu wrote:This recalls Dr. Nick's earlier comment about NGE's "futuristic technology" (or, ahem, lack thereof). It's "futuristic" only as needed. Image Create deities and transfer souls from one body to another? No problem! Get a battery to hold more than five minutes' worth of energy for the Evas? Erm...

One of the bits which stuck with more plausible tech, in fact : battery technology - indeed energy storage in general - is one of those bits of neat sci-fi tech that just haven't come to pass.

Reichu wrote: Quote: Is it interesting how news reporst say it was a meteor only a few centimeters in diameter and the teach says it was massive?

Aside from the meteor bit, though, the rest seems to be pretty accurate. Antoher one of the plausible bits - you don't need much rest mass to do planetary scale damage (with serious effective mass) if you crank up the velocity close to light-speed. Really, all you're doing is just dumping a lot of energy into a small area, and the actual rest mass is just there as a carrier.

Originally posted on: 29-Nov-2004, 19:34 GMT

Return to “AnimeNation Archive”