Site Domain Name Vote

For discussion of and submissions for the EvaGeeks Wiki and Commentary. Open to all posters.

Moderators: UrsusArctos, Board Staff

Are you in Favour of the Domain Name Proposal declared in the First Post being passed?

Poll ended at Sun Sep 09, 2007 8:24 pm

Yea
88%
Nay
13%

Total votes: 8

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Site Domain Name Vote

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Sun Sep 02, 2007 8:24 pm

Call To Vote
There seems to be a good deal of consensus on the main site domainname at least, arguably the most pressing issue at the moment. So in an effort to get things moving, let's call it to a vote

Proposal
The proposal is that the primary site domainname be:
evageeks.org

and in addition that the secondary domainnames names be:
evageeks.com
evageeks.net
evangeliongeeks.org

And also that other secondary and tertiary domain names can be proposed and, if accepted, added at a later date.

End of Proposal

The voting will be by the thread poll, and anyone with the ability to vote in it can(this should mean everyone in this forum). Discussion in this thread is also available, but people can only vote once.

I'll leave the poll open for one week(7 days) in an effort to get things moving. This should give us enough time to register the primary and secondary domains in time for the 4th of October.

Finally, in the interests of validity, we will need a quorum of five votes for the poll to be accepted.

So you may now vote, Yea or Nay, on the proposal.

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Sun Sep 02, 2007 8:26 pm

I've voted "Yea", in favour of the proposal, but anyone should feel free to further discuss things before voting.
[Became an administrator on or before October 4th, 2007.]
May The Maths Be With You.

V
Banned

Postby V » Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:11 am

I vote "nay". We should invest the money in buying simply "Evangelion.com" even if we have to pay through the nose.

It's going to be the next Matrix or LOTR trilogy when the live action series comes out, and right now, attention on Eva in the states is fairly low but with Rebuild coming out will only get increasingly higher.

This is the cheapest that domain name will ever be.
Who is "Codename V"?....
I'm pleased to meet you and I hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game...so catch me if you can!! (0:50)
"Superior ability breeds superior ambition" -- Spock, Star Trek TOS episode 1.24 "Space Seed"
You say you say you want a REvolution?...
-->It was only after I lost everything, that I realized: I was free to do anything...

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:42 pm

HOW DO I VOTE THREAD? Seriously, there isn't a "cast vote here option" anywhere...Is dat sum only for the big cheese voting or did I miss something?

But can somebody please explain why the site (wiki, commentary itself, etc) CAN'T just be referred to as EvaCommentary.org for the URL and good ol the Fan-Geeks Commentary Project for the wiki and the commentary? ...Because it's NOT just episode-commentary now?

Oh and it sucks how that poll doesn't have a 3rd "Undecided/I don't know option"; that's personal the category I feel like I'm in, so I'm just going with my next initial thoughts instead: YEA ON THIS PROPOSAL.

Basic point copy/pasta:
1) The Fan-Geeks (Commentary) Project
2) ...Why's a new domain needed? I think I missed the memo with that. But if that's the case, then: evageeks dot which ever ending is available, though dot com for the win!

I think which should just stick with evacommentary.org for the main site. Since that's not an option however (and why the heck do we need a second domain name? Confused Stardust is confused :shinji_eyebrow:) then for the Primary site domain, AN EVAGEEKS.ORG IS FINE TOO.

evageeks.com for the secondary domain name is good, though Evangeliongeeks.org has a nice ring to it for my 2nd second domain-name choice if evageeks.com is unavailable for whatever reason.

Edit: Was a good citizen and made my voice heard. ;)

Edit # 2: I voted "Yea" if it's not obvious from this post.
Last edited by Sailor Star Dust on Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

V
Banned

Postby V » Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:08 pm

evacommentary.org

I have no problem with that as the name of the greater overall site. I too, SSD, have no idea how to vote in this poll as I can't see what to click.
Who is "Codename V"?....
I'm pleased to meet you and I hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game...so catch me if you can!! (0:50)
"Superior ability breeds superior ambition" -- Spock, Star Trek TOS episode 1.24 "Space Seed"
You say you say you want a REvolution?...
-->It was only after I lost everything, that I realized: I was free to do anything...

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:12 pm

Sailor Star Dust wrote:HOW DO I VOTE THREAD? Seriously, there isn't a "cast vote here option" anywhere...

Should be fixed now.

<snip> ...Because it's NOT just episode-commentary now?

Yup. Having it as the site name/URL/whatever has bothered me for well over a year now.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

Postby The Eva Monkey » Mon Sep 03, 2007 2:33 pm

V wrote:I vote "nay". We should invest the money in buying simply "Evangelion.com" even if we have to pay through the nose.

Never going to happen. The domain is owned by a company that does not resell domains, and does not even respond to queries about domain names. Their scheme is to create thousands of dummy websites to feed people into search engines and create ad/referral revenue. It's not impossible, but it's highly unlikely it will ever happen. It's the sort of thing that we would appoint someone to negotiate over an extended period of time.

I vote yay on EvaGeeks.Org, but it is my desire to see the following domains used as redirects, or controlled for various reasons:

EvaGeeks.Com (VERY IMPORTANT)
EvaGeeks.Net
EvangelionGeeks.Org
EvangelionGeeks.Com
EvangelionGeeks.Net
EvaMonkey.Com
EvaCommentary.Org

Dr. Nick
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Dr. Nick » Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:02 pm

Reichu wrote:Should be fixed now.

Still not working. But "yea" for Evageeks, anyway.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:24 pm

Dr. Nick wrote:Still not working.

Oh. Forgot your usergroup. -o-;
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End
The Beginning and The End

Postby UrsusArctos » Tue Sep 04, 2007 1:11 am

I say yea, it'll do...

Incisivis
Scribe
Scribe

Postby Incisivis » Tue Sep 11, 2007 6:06 pm

I'm for it.
"No live organism can continue to exist sanely within conditions of absolute reality; even dragonflies and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream"--Shirley Jackson
I liek Shinji
LiveJournal and Fan Fiction

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Sat Sep 15, 2007 8:01 pm

Well, with the poll closed for almost a week now, I guess the Ayes have it.

evageeks.org

evageeks.com
evageeks.net
evangeliongeeks.org

Will be our primary and secondary domainnames respectively.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon Sep 17, 2007 2:14 pm

"And there was much rejoicing!" :lol:
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:48 pm

Well this issue was settled long ago and it's time for a new name thread, so without further ado....

Return to “Wiki Editing and Discussion”