Notes

For discussion of and submissions for the EvaGeeks Wiki and Commentary. Open to all posters.

Moderators: UrsusArctos, Board Staff

Szmitten
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

Notes

•      
  •      

Postby Szmitten » Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:39 am

For several pages, the Notes sections are equal in size or larger than the articles themselves. This is a bad thing, right?

Can we agree on a way to decide if something is literally noteworthy? Or should we split Notes up into further subsections, like one for Trivia, Production Notes, Similarities/Differences, etc?

Also, some are very, very long winded. It's best to be economic with words.

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:42 pm

The Episode Notes are to be split off into subpages. Notes on other pages.... should be discussed here before a decision is made.
[Became an administrator on or before October 4th, 2007.]
May The Maths Be With You.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:31 pm

A better idea: Decide if episode notes really ought to be in an episode notes/analysis page, or if they should just be in Some Article.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:49 pm

It depends on the article. Yes, sometimes the article's Notes will be longer than the article itself, but we try to keep those situations to a minimum.

Under no circumstances "delete" anything; shift it around to other pages, etc. but don't destroy information.

For several pages, the Notes sections are equal in size or larger than the articles themselves. This is a bad thing, right?

Well on the episode guide articles, the notes are actually supposed to be longer than the Synopsis, because everyone coming her has either seen the episodes or has easy enough access to them that we don't need a scene by scene exact walkthrough.
Who is "Codename V"?....
I'm pleased to meet you and I hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game...so catch me if you can!! (0:50)
"Superior ability breeds superior ambition" -- Spock, Star Trek TOS episode 1.24 "Space Seed"
You say you say you want a REvolution?...
-->It was only after I lost everything, that I realized: I was free to do anything...

thewayneiac
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby thewayneiac » Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:07 pm

Reichu wrote:A better idea: Decide if episode notes really ought to be in an episode notes/analysis page, or if they should just be in Some Article.

That's a good point. For instance, there was a long note in the ep. 04 article about how pilots are chosen. It was there simply because Ritsuko mentions that the 4th Children hasn't been found yet. I moved it to the Marduk article on the grounds that it really had nothing to do with the episode.
Rejoice, glory is ours. Our young men have not died in vain. Their graves need no flowers. The tapes have recorded their names.
I am all there is.
Negative! Primative! Limited! I let you live.
But I gave you life.
What else could you do?
To do what was right.
I'm perfect, are you?

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:37 am

I think here are a couple of good guidelines:

Notes = Tidbits

Little bits of knowledge about something in the episode or about the episode. I think things like inconsistencies, interesting facts, misconceptions, etc. should go here. Anything that's more or less a one off that doesn't need further elaborating on.

Analysis = More in depth than notes

Analysis analyzes the episode from several angles that gives more important and relevant information than notes does. Analysis can regard dialogue, or some visual ideas, or further explanation on the episode and things in it.

Theory and Analysis = A super in-depth version of analysis.

Anything that's too deep to cover with analysis on the on-page Analysis should link to here. For examples: there can be some analysis on 24' that links to that T&A page. The Rei bookends should be mentioned in analysis on the page and be linked to the T&A article for more information. That kinda thing.
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:50 am

As a rule, Theory & Analysis should deal with specific (or, at least, as specific as humanly possible) issues, not broad items like "everything theoretical in such-and-such episode". In other words, that T&A page on Episode 24' is provisional. :tongue:

I should probably go around cracking a whip at various episode pages to exemplify...
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:57 am

Reichu wrote:As a rule, Theory & Analysis should deal with specific (or, at least, as specific as humanly possible) issues, not broad items like "everything theoretical in such-and-such episode". In other words, that T&A page on Episode 24' is provisional. :tongue:

Well, most episodes do not need that kind of analysis. What I'm talking about is that, for example, in episode one in analysis someone might mention the "Ghostly Rei" which can link to the T&A article.

I don't know why the 24' T&A should be provisional. In all actuality it deals with one specific subject and that is what the heck was Kaworu's intent and purpose?. This is WAY too much to cover on the main page, and besides the "Angel Rebirth" it doesn't digress into any other territories. There are bits that can be edited, but most of what's there deals specifically with Kaworu's 'mission' (for lack of a better word). I've tried to think of a more specific title (Kaworu's Intention?) in relation to what it specifically deals with.
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:19 pm

I'm writing up the guidlines on Rules and Regultions tonight (finally)
Who is "Codename V"?....
I'm pleased to meet you and I hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game...so catch me if you can!! (0:50)
"Superior ability breeds superior ambition" -- Spock, Star Trek TOS episode 1.24 "Space Seed"
You say you say you want a REvolution?...
-->It was only after I lost everything, that I realized: I was free to do anything...

Return to “Wiki Editing and Discussion”