The "MediaWiki Techie Summon" Page

For discussion of and submissions for the EvaGeeks Wiki and Commentary. Open to all posters.

Moderators: UrsusArctos, Board Staff

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

The "MediaWiki Techie Summon" Page

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Aug 19, 2007 11:08 am

I couldn't think of a better title at the time.

Essentially, this thread is dedicated to technical matters. Let me exemplify by starting things off...

• We have no operational MediaWiki citational functions. I believe I e-mailed you about this, OMF. Right now, it's in your hands. And a necessity, one way or the other.
  • Pages like this demonstrate the need for a quote template.
  • We need to do something about that left nav-bar one of these days. :uhh:
Also, we could stick the old teacher in the upper left-hand corner (this won't make sense to the scribes) to replace the NGE logo sometime. Would make things more lively, pending an extensive graphical overhaul.

Over and out.
Last edited by Reichu on Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Sun Aug 19, 2007 11:51 am

I'm sorry I couldn't load the ref-template stuff but apparently, that involves loading a new program for the entire site (it's not just a template but deals with the site's actual software)

Meanwhile as I said; you can't get rid of the left navbar, at least not easily (I don't think you can), and why would you want to?

Working on template boxes is also on my to-do list today, I'm on that....
Who is "Codename V"?....
I'm pleased to meet you and I hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game...so catch me if you can!! (0:50)
"Superior ability breeds superior ambition" -- Spock, Star Trek TOS episode 1.24 "Space Seed"
You say you say you want a REvolution?...
-->It was only after I lost everything, that I realized: I was free to do anything...

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Sun Aug 19, 2007 2:38 pm

There's a Cite extension for Mediawiki which I've been looking into installing. I think this is what you want. It's the one used on Wikipedia for automatic reference generation.

There's an extensive list of quotation templates at Wikipedia, some of which require changes to the sites css. Let me know which ones catches your eyes and we'll see about adding them.

As to the left navbar, have you tried the test skin I was working on? It turns out the navbar, etc, etc, "portlets" are by default at the bottom of the page, and are only moved via css invocations. The test skin moves them up to the very top of the page. To use it, copy the myskin.css code to your username /myskin.css page, then go into your preferences, and change your skin to myskin.css. You will need to hit shift-reload to see the results.

As to the logo, it's located at /FGP/skins/common/images/Site-Main-Logo.png or /evawiki/skins/common/images/Site-Main-Logo.png (they're both the same file, don't ask). You can edit it at any time with the access you've got.

Edit: The citation extension miraculously worked without a hitch. See it in action here, though I think my usage is probably inappropriate for that page.
[Became an administrator on or before October 4th, 2007.]
May The Maths Be With You.

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Sun Aug 19, 2007 6:25 pm

Qapla'! (success!)

now, question: would you like to use this as the universal means of citing stuff? That is, unless I directly say "In episode 8....", if I just say "Asuka came to Japan in a massive UN navy convoy 1"
Who is "Codename V"?....
I'm pleased to meet you and I hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game...so catch me if you can!! (0:50)
"Superior ability breeds superior ambition" -- Spock, Star Trek TOS episode 1.24 "Space Seed"
-->It was only after I lost everything, that I realized: I was free to do anything...

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:30 pm

We're going to have to have some kind of rule of thumb for this, or else articles will be swarming with superscript hyperlinks. Personally, I think only information not from an episode or movie, or information that is not immediately obvious, should be cited.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:22 pm

That's... for another thread. I'm going to need to get a whip out for that one, I bet.

Since I lack adequate brainpower to comment on the additions at the moment, I better add that we need a template that contains all of the "Gainax/Khara please don't sue our asses" stuff to stick on image pages. (What a fun grunt task adding all of those will be.)

Also, a technical problem that's been irking me: In here, there are two versions of the same Zeruel animation. One of them, I uploaded with a "+" sign in the name, before I learned that MediaWiki choked on said symbol. I have no idea how to get rid of the image and its associated page; every time I try to access the latter, the + is converted to an underscore.

Thank you.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:00 am

The image has been deleted. However, Mediawiki never actually ever deletes anythings, always choosing instead to maintain full revertability. The image will always be there, but no one can access it or place it in a page. Unfortunately, it still seems to come up on the category page, but this could be because the page is waiting to be refreshed. In the worst case, it's a minor issue.

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:23 am

ObsessiveMathsFreak wrote:We're going to have to have some kind of rule of thumb for this, or else articles will be swarming with superscript hyperlinks. Personally, I think only information not from an episode or movie, or information that is not immediately obvious, should be cited.

I agree.
Who is "Codename V"?....

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:41 pm

ObsessiveMathsFreak wrote:However, Mediawiki never actually ever deletes anythings, always choosing instead to maintain full revertability.

What if you, like, have limited server space or something? (Theoretical case.)

Regarding citations, I'll try to barf up something soon. In a different thread. Too much shit to do...

BTW, the "SAUCE" template make me chuckle. But don't forget that "image copyright bullshit" template.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:54 pm

you're handling the image copyright bullshit (not my field)
Who is "Codename V"?....

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:37 pm

Reichu wrote:Also, a technical problem that's been irking me: In here, there are two versions of the same Zeruel animation. One of them, I uploaded with a "+" sign in the name, before I learned that MediaWiki choked on said symbol. I have no idea how to get rid of the image and its associated page; every time I try to access the latter, the + is converted to an underscore.

With a little URL tomfoolery, I managed to remove that broken image from the categories:
http://evacommentary.org/FGP/index.php?title=Image:19_C158%2B160_zer-arms.gif&action=edit

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Tue Aug 21, 2007 4:41 pm

Reichu wrote:What if you, like, have limited server space or something? (Theoretical case.)
You buy more.... or I go looking for a technical solution. I'm sure there is one.

Reichu wrote:But don't forget that "image copyright bullshit" template.

You're going to have to supply me with some kind of text before I can create that.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:55 pm

I'll see what I can barf up in terms of "please don't sue us" text... More from me later on quote templates, too.

Before I forget, what would be the best way to handle pages involving multiple text entries, each one (typically) having an accompanying thumbnail image? Traditional ways of embedding images wouldn't work here -- there would have to be a way of defining the spacial relationship, e.g., with a table or something. But I don't know if tables are the preferred method.

Hopefully that made an iota of sense.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:02 pm

The Notebox demo might be something along the lines of what you're looking for. Failing that, you could try extra subsections of the "line break" {{-}} template. Neither option looks great.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:42 pm

I think we need something else.

Also, it is possible to set certain Wiki pages to be accessible/viewable by editors only?
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:47 pm

Reichu wrote:I think we need something else.

Tables would be the standard method of keeping images "linked" to their appropriate text. Floats can also be used to an extent, but they are cunning and treacherous beasts. If you want I can try a more squat notebox template with the image floating in one of the upper corners? But there's really only so much that can be done. Mediawiki is designed for a lot of text with only an image here and there.

Reichu wrote:Also, it is possible to set certain Wiki pages to be accessible/viewable by editors only?
Yes. This was done for the commentary pages on the Beta Wiki. Do you want the same done here?

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Tue Aug 28, 2007 6:27 pm

something happened to the wiki?

I was in the middle of adding stuff to the Rebirth vs Episode 25' page and it won't let me save nor look at it. I hope it didn't get lost, it was a LOT of stuff and I'd like to get all this new stuff in my text area saved.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:01 pm

SUMMON!

when I attempt to save my changes for the "Guides:Rebirth vs Episode 25'" I get this:

[code:1]
Page creation limited
From The NGE Fan-Geeks Project
Jump to: navigation, search

This site has restricted the ability to create new pages. You can go back and edit an existing page, or log in or create an account. [/code:1]

When I try to look at it in another window, it says that the page doesn't exist.

When I try to click it from the Guides MainPage, I get the same error

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:02 pm

I've been doing some open heart surgery on the wiki over the last few hours. I don't know the specifics of what happened to your edits. Did your browser save them for when you click back? If not they may have been swallowed into digital oblivion. Deepest apologies if this is the case.

Personally, I've had sites go down, power cuts, and browsers crash several times when making large edits or posts. When making large edits, it may be best to use an external editor and to save periodically. With firefox, you could also try extensions like It's All Text or Save Text Area, as the session recovery extensions don't always recover typed text, or it may not be a crash type problem, as with what probably happened here. There should probably be something in the wiki guidelines/tips about this.

Again, very sorry if you've lost your edit. I know how frustrating it can be.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:06 pm

I managed to go back and copy it into a text buffer.

However, I can't create ANY pages now. I've also noticed that all of Reichu's Rebuild vs Episode ## pages are all gone too

Return to “Wiki Editing and Discussion”