Rumors of my death have been greatly exaggerated

For discussion of and submissions for the EvaGeeks Wiki and Commentary. Open to all posters.

Moderators: UrsusArctos, Board Staff

V
Banned

Rumors of my death have been greatly exaggerated

•      
  •      

Postby V » Tue Aug 14, 2007 5:03 pm

You may have noticed I have only been making a handful of posts or edits in the past week.

My best friend from college showed up unexpectedly to stay for the whole week (YAY); she's my sister's friend and the person that introduced me to Evangelion: lets call her "Evey"

We have been catching up with anime marathons, designed to turn my from a noob into uberfan of demi-god like power. i.e. I haven't really seen many miyazaki films and today was spent watching all of them, in a row.

Also marathoned all of this "Avatar" show, Big O, etc. etc.

Sorry about this but real life friend stuff, had to focus on that. I have been checking in here as best I could but really wasn't able to get onto EvaWiki as much as I WOULD have LIKED to.

Nonetheless, While I cannot stop the clock, I can move it foward with my own hands: EvaWiki will be more or less operational by Monday. I plan on just staying up all night to finally make the big push to finishing; after which assignments will be delegated, and "land and title" handed out ^_^

Good that images are finally being uploaded for stuff; as stated in the "Plan for EvaWiki", I think we can be up to work on "EvaWiki Unit 02: Production Model" by Monday.

I appologize for the delay, but I have been just living in my house all summer, and this is the first time ANY of my college friends have had contact with me; they alllive in other states.

More updates as I get them, five by five.
Last edited by V on Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Who is "Codename V"?....
I'm pleased to meet you and I hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game...so catch me if you can!! (0:50)
"Superior ability breeds superior ambition" -- Spock, Star Trek TOS episode 1.24 "Space Seed"
You say you say you want a REvolution?...
-->It was only after I lost everything, that I realized: I was free to do anything...

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Tue Aug 14, 2007 5:21 pm

V, you're probably still making more edits than the rest of us combined. You can take time out without letting us know, you know.
[Became an administrator on or before October 4th, 2007.]
May The Maths Be With You.

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:21 am

Indeed. I'm wrapped up in similar life stuff at the moment and have been itching to work on more pages for the EvaWi-errrr, project. Hopefully I'll have everything sorted out within a week or two. Pretty hectic time right now, so I'm with ya. :)
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:32 am

Yeah, guys, don't sweat it. I'll be back in school on the 4th.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

This thread might have a long-term usability factor...
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Wed Aug 15, 2007 6:43 am

ObsessiveMathsFreak wrote:V, you're probably still making more edits than the rest of us combined. You can take time out without letting us know, you know.

I need to have this framed :devil:

There are few who deny, at what I do I am The Best. All my talents are renowned far and wide...
Who is "Codename V"?....
I'm pleased to meet you and I hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game...so catch me if you can!! (0:50)
"Superior ability breeds superior ambition" -- Spock, Star Trek TOS episode 1.24 "Space Seed"
-->It was only after I lost everything, that I realized: I was free to do anything...

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:57 pm

I'm still away on a "semi-vacation", sorry about that. But by the weekend I'll have everything finished as I said.

I'm still playing with "Evey" (my friend from college that first introduced me to Evangelion)
Who is "Codename V"?....

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:33 pm

Um, this is a good thread to have for long-term use! This coming week, I'll be in Disneyland for the first time EVAR. ^_^ (I went to Disneyworld twice, though both times I was a young'un so I don't remember it that well.) After that, I'm not going to be back in my area until around the 25/26th of August, IIRC. (I'll have internet access while away from home, but it'll be extremely limited, so no chance of me working on things then.)

And College starts up for me on the 24th of September, so when that happens, I'm sorry to say that contributions from me won't be THAT often. (Unless I use my limited free time for the sake of the Evawiki instead. Hmm... :uhh:)

Oh, and V rocks with all ver hard work! Ve is made of sheer awesomeness. (Yah, you're avatar's male, but I can't recall if you are or not.)

Ve, ver, vis? Gah, can't remember!
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:24 am

Alright, Sunday got shot driving my sister around on errands (yet again), so I'll have everything done by Tuesday now...
Who is "Codename V"?....

Incisivis
Scribe
Scribe

•      
  •      

Postby Incisivis » Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:34 pm

I'm on vacation this week, and also trying to get my notes on EoTV into some recognizable order. (What? To me, doing that *is* part of my vacation)

I'm keeping up with this forum and the AN board as much as I can, but at this point I don't have much to contribute to the discussion or the project. I'm just trying to absorb all the guides and protocols, and eventually work my way through the tutorials when I know I've got some free time, then convert my old notes into something that you guys could use.

Also, I managed to snag a Platinum thinpak for $80 CAD, which considering how much anime can go for up here, is a pretty damn good deal. Hopefully I can find someone to unload my Perfect Collection and ADV DC DVDs onto.
"No live organism can continue to exist sanely within conditions of absolute reality; even dragonflies and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream"--Shirley Jackson
I liek Shinji
LiveJournal and Fan Fiction

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:11 pm

I'm alive and well after my 1st evar trip to Disneyrando, though I probably won't contribute stuff till later this weekend (Sunday??) or next week after my relatives leave. (My uncle and grandma have been visiting me from Poland for the past 6 weeks, and I haven't seen them since I was 7, so...)

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Sat Aug 25, 2007 5:02 am

YIPPEE! New computer installed and running relatively smoothly. Okay, a few hiccups here and there but nothing major yet (they didn't transfer my bookmarks so I had to set up my old computer, rar the files, and send them to myself to download on the new one... grrrr).

Switched from a single processor to a quad, from 80Gb hard drive to 640, from a 500Mb memory to 3Gb one, from a 17in 4:3 monitor to a 22in LCD widescreen, from XP to Vista so... yeah, it's quite a change. Good news is my CD/DVD drive is up and running so I'll be able to play NGE in here if I need to research anything.

Also, does anyone know how to capture screen caps from the series? I might be able to help out on that front if needed, I'm just not sure how to capture them when running the DVD.
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

Shin-seiki
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Shin-seiki » Sat Aug 25, 2007 7:38 am

Eva Yojimbo wrote:Also, does anyone know how to capture screen caps from the series? I might be able to help out on that front if needed, I'm just not sure how to capture them when running the DVD.
Use VLC to play the DVD, snapshot function is on the drop-down menu under 'view', IIRC. For getting an image dump of a whole sequence (i.e. a cap of every frame) you''l probably need MPlayer; Ornett would know more about that.

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Sat Aug 25, 2007 7:41 am

Shin-seiki wrote:Use VLC to play the DVD, snapshot function is on the drop-down menu under 'view', IIRC. For getting an image dump of a whole sequence (i.e. a cap of every frame) you''l probably need MPlayer; Ornett would know more about that.
Thanks. I'll PM Ornette if he doesn't see this.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:34 am

Sorry, was at a conference in Atlanta, copypasta from another thread:

the minimum you'd need to know to save frames:

mplayer <options>

and the options can be in any order and must contain this:
dvd://1

which means to play the dvd and to play the first title. It may be the case that the first title is just a trailer or something, so scrolling through the dvd://2, dvd://3, etc until you find what you're looking for

-ss HH:MM:SS
This is for seeking into the stream, to bring up the onscreen display (OSD) you can press "o" while watching the dvd through mplayer, you can also omit the HH: if you're seeking to within 60 minutes. Example: -ss 15:22 seeks to 15 minutes and 22 seconds into the stream. Also note that in some cases, seeking precision can be better or worse depending on the encoding, but for DVDs, it should be very accurate.

-vo png
This option changes the video output driver to "png", which makes mplayer save each frame as a png instead of displaying it using the default video driver. These images will be saved in whatever directory you invoke mplayer in so you should "cd" to the directory you want your images or move them there later.you can also optionally add a :z=9 to the end of it to make mplayer compress the pngs. Example: -vo png:z=9

-vf scale=w:h
This scales the image to a specific "width" and "height". This option is just to ensure that mplayer doesn't scale to something else. For TV, you'd say -vf scale=706:540 and for EoE -vf scale=838:479.

-frames #
This option makes mplayer only play (or save) # number of frames. If you only wanted to save 1000 frames, you'd use -frames 1000

-nosound
This option turns off sound. If you're saving frames as images and using png with max compression (9), it often saves slower than real-time, thus you'd get a lot of broken out of sync sound.

So an example invocation of mplayer:
mplayer dvd://1 -ss 43:29
play dvd title 1 and seek to 43 minutes 29 seconds

mplayer dvd://1 -vf scale=838:479 -vo png:z=9 -nosound -ss 1:04:55 -frames 1500
play dvd title 1, scale to 838x479, seek to 1 hour, 4 minutes and 55 seconds, turn off the sound, save each frame as a max compressed png, and only save 1500 frames.

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:22 am

Thanks for the lesson Ornette. It might be a bit over my head, but I will give it a try later anyway.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:51 am

Ornette wrote:programmin type stuffs

I will I have me some fun with this later tonight.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Mon Aug 27, 2007 3:07 pm

I'm going to be really busy with a deadline this week, I have to fly back to NYC then fly to Nagoya for 2 weeks. I'll have internet connectivity there, and all I really want to do is watch Rebuild and spend a few days in Akihabara, but my GF's going to want to do all this stuff so I doubt I'll be spending much time geeking out in front of my laptop.

Also, should I wait until the forum gets moved before archiving any more threads? The actual archiving part is automated, so that's like zero work. Just the creation of new users and a few that we have to work out, like Reichu, Shin-seiki, Mr. Tines, essentially anyone who has an account here that has also posted on ANF. Should we duplicate the usernames and add a "[ANF]" to the end? (Probably should go in another thread in inner sanctum, sorry, in a hurry)

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Mon Aug 27, 2007 5:15 pm

Can you smuggle a camera in?
Who is "Codename V"?....

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:47 pm

......What V said. :shifty:

(Hell, I plan on buying the Japanese-release DVD once it comes out, so...)

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:27 pm

Sailor Star Dust wrote:(Hell, I plan on buying the Japanese-release DVD once it comes out, so...)

How terrible the months before that will be. And I'm not just talking about the wait itself.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Return to “Wiki Editing and Discussion”