[LAEM] Here's an idea

The place for all of the old Live Action Evangelion Movie threads.

Moderator: Board Staff

gasoline238
Embryo

Here's an idea

Postby gasoline238 » Wed Oct 13, 2004 5:23 am

This is an idea brought up on another forum I frequent. Instead of trying to make a trilogy of films based on the episodes themselves (the most common suggestion), which would cost a fortune while angering longtime fanatics with any changes made, why not start with a miniseries based on the US NERV base? This would allow for a totally different perspective that was never previously explored, focusing less on the action and more on what made the original great, character depth. It would be much less expensive, and WETA wouldn't be have cultural or "Americanization" issues because it would already be set in the US anyway. It would attract both old fans looking for a new spin and the average audience that would have never heard of EVA, making an excellent prequel for the movies, should there be any later.

Discuss.

MAGI
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby MAGI » Wed Oct 13, 2004 7:02 am

Personally, I wouldn't be that eager to watch it, then. The story wouldn't have been written by Anno, no characters we know of reside there, the US branch doesn't relate much to the original (at least character-wise as was the focus of the original series and movies), and it would have been written up by an American who may or may not know what s/he's going on about in the first place.
I'm going to watch that Live Action movie because it was based on Anno. If any action takes place in the branch, we'd have heard about it in the original series, and the general audience who've never heard of Eva wouldn't be too interested if it had no action and went on about characters' depth of whom we know nothing of, and go on discussing about some really cool fights and plots going on in Japan's branch whilst they loll around making two big machines that are never used there. After the explosion of one of them, the movie will end with the most ultimate anti-climax in the history of cinema as the second is being shipped off... to Japan.

I seriously think what you're proposing is a bad idea. Sorry. No hard feelings. Unless we make it a spy movie of a guy who sneeks into the branch, complete with its own theme-song, I won't like it.

Dave
Lilin
Lilin

Postby Dave » Wed Oct 13, 2004 2:45 pm

Two words: Stargate SG1. *Shudders* Bad idea, I want a trilogy!
Beatus vir qui suffert tentationem.

gasoline238
Embryo

Postby gasoline238 » Wed Oct 13, 2004 3:10 pm

The story wouldn't have been written by Anno

Anno isn't writing the script for the live action movie, either.
US branch doesn't relate much to the original

Like I said, this an entirely new take on the series. The main themes remain (of course) but aside from brief mentions of some big NERV/SEELE players, all the characters are new.
and it would have been written up by an American who may or may not know what s/he's going on about in the first place.

Let's assume for now that it would be made by WETA, whom claim to know quite a lot about Eva already (it's been on TV in New Zealand).
the general audience who've never heard of Eva wouldn't be too interested if it had no action and went on about characters' depth of whom we know nothing of

So Eva is boring without giant robot action, eh? What about the mysteries, philosophy, symbolism, and pychological sequences?

And I didn't say no action, just action on a smaller scale.

On the subject ot new characters, every time you watch a movie or TV show, read a book, or listen to a story, you're introduced to a brand new cast of characters you know nothing of. So I don't see the problem here.
and go on discussing about some really cool fights and plots going on in Japan's branch whilst they loll around making two big machines that are never used there

They don't just loll around. Just like the series, it will center around the psychologic problems of the characters and the ways they interact with each other.
After the explosion of one of them, the movie will end with the most ultimate anti-climax in the history of cinema as the second is being shipped off... to Japan.

EoE ended with not only the destruction of the evas, but the near-annhilation of the entire human race.

Hear's another idea that just came to me: why not tie the themes of EoE with the end of the miniseries?

Your criticisms are heartfelt, but are also close-minded. What matters most are that the themes from the original are preserved. This is simply a fresh start for Eva's mainstream debut, keeping the original themes while adding to them as well.

coff
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby coff » Wed Oct 13, 2004 3:53 pm

gasoline238 wrote:
and it would have been written up by an American who may or may not know what s/he's going on about in the first place.

Let's assume for now that it would be made by WETA, whom claim to know quite a lot about Eva already (it's been on TV in New Zealand).

WETA is not writing the script.

This sounds like a novel idea. It would be cool to see something like this at some point. However, a lot of Eva fans will go crazy if they try to break away from Anno's story too much, especially if they make up stuff that never happened in the series.

Hunter21
Pilot
Pilot

Postby Hunter21 » Wed Oct 13, 2004 3:56 pm

The thing is though most of the fans want to see a good quality movie about the Eva we love, not a knockoff which is what a relocated and rewritten movie would basically be. This isn't close-minded, it is just preference.
EVANGERIONANIME is stupid

Come Join the Sakaki Fan Club!

Remember you're on Evageeks, where preset personal delusions outweigh reality.

Dark FireStar
Arael
Arael

Postby Dark FireStar » Wed Oct 13, 2004 3:58 pm

I wouldent trust anyone from the US to make it they all way mess it up.
Don't ban me for a limited time! Either ban me for good or let me be. (I only hold grudges for a few years lol)

gasoline238
Embryo

Postby gasoline238 » Wed Oct 13, 2004 4:02 pm

Hunter21 wrote:The thing is though most of the fans want to see a good quality movie about the Eva we love, not a knockoff which is what a relocated and rewritten movie would basically be. This isn't close-minded, it is just preference.
I never said this would replace the movie, just give an introduction to the themes present in the series.
I wouldent trust anyone from the US to make it they all way mess it up.

Now that is closed-minded. :roll:

Dark FireStar
Arael
Arael

Postby Dark FireStar » Wed Oct 13, 2004 4:03 pm

close minded thats a good thing right :?:
Don't ban me for a limited time! Either ban me for good or let me be. (I only hold grudges for a few years lol)

gasoline238
Embryo

Postby gasoline238 » Wed Oct 13, 2004 6:03 pm

We had something going for awhile; more constructive criticism please!

Dave
Lilin
Lilin

Postby Dave » Wed Oct 13, 2004 7:47 pm

As you said gasoline###, the idea you propose would have a much smaller budget. I don't want a smaller budget. I want a movie that doesn't have to use crappy plastic props and grade school CG effects. Also, the whole point of making a live action movie is see the animated characters brought to life! I want to see a giant Unit 01 that looks REAL! And personally, I don't think adding anything to the world of Eva is good. It is a completed work. Transferring it into another medium is fine, but adding to it will only dilute it.
Beatus vir qui suffert tentationem.

MongolSquad
Matarael
Matarael

Postby MongolSquad » Wed Oct 13, 2004 9:27 pm

Let's see how the movie turns out first...I think the community couldn't take another shock of another Eva project.

MAGI
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby MAGI » Wed Oct 13, 2004 9:56 pm

As much as we dislike close-mindedness, you must know that a significant portion of all people who watch movies are. They'll be looking at philosophy and characters and all, but is that what they want?
I know very well that the script won't be written by Anno, but at least it's based directly on his work. When a guy makes his own things up and places it in another setting, we won't know for sure if it's any good.
Besides, I really don't want to watch a movie about the US branch.

I guess I don't mind seeing it in reference to the main plot (flash-backs or whatever), it'd be nice, actually. I just don't want a whole new story.

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

Postby Hexon.Arq » Thu Oct 14, 2004 5:37 pm

gas, are you Nate The Monkey?

This idea would be too awkward an attempt to relocate the film to the U.S., despite not relocating the actual story. Would you really want to cheat an audience out of Angel battles just to keep them from having to see a movie set in Japan? Would they want that?

_you can't do anything, so don't even try
_get some help
_don't do what sonic does

gasoline238
Embryo

Postby gasoline238 » Thu Oct 14, 2004 10:37 pm

This idea would be too awkward an attempt to relocate the film to the U.S., despite not relocating the actual story. Would you really want to cheat an audience out of Angel battles just to keep them from having to see a movie set in Japan? Would they want that?

You're missing the point. This isn't "cheating the audience out of angel battles," since the movies are still most important and take priority over any miniseries. The main reason for a miniseries isn't to get it away from Japan - it's to give a new perspective.

Perhaps I'm not going into as much depth as I originally intended, which is confusing things. I'll try to write up a better summary later.

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

Postby Hexon.Arq » Thu Oct 14, 2004 10:47 pm

Oh, I see. I really shouldn't read so half-assedly. "Miniseries." Gotcha.

It's not so bad, except it would still probably cost a pretty penny even without battles.

_you can't do anything, so don't even try
_get some help
_don't do what sonic does

gasoline238
Embryo

Postby gasoline238 » Thu Oct 14, 2004 10:53 pm

True enough, though it's still a safer alternative to test out the interest level before plunging headfirst into a $100 million CGI-fest.

MAGI
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby MAGI » Fri Oct 15, 2004 4:31 am

I'd like to see it start with a bang! :twisted:
I can't explain exactly why, but I don't like the approach being suggested, here.

It's like I'd always like to say: "If you're gonna do it, do it right!" :P

gasoline238
Embryo

Postby gasoline238 » Fri Oct 15, 2004 1:51 pm

MAGI wrote:I'd like to see it start with a bang! :twisted:
I can't explain exactly why, but I don't like the approach being suggested, here.

It's like I'd always like to say: "If you're gonna do it, do it right!" :P

You're proving my point. For the love of God, open your mind a little.

Dark FireStar
Arael
Arael

Postby Dark FireStar » Fri Oct 15, 2004 4:29 pm

What if the production team was low on $, and they asked the fans for some $ would you give cash to them?

Return to “Live Action Evangelion Movie”