Common Misconceptions

For discussion of and submissions for the EvaGeeks Wiki and Commentary. Open to all posters.

Moderators: UrsusArctos, Board Staff

Dr. Nick
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Common Misconceptions

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick » Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:23 pm

A quick'n'dirty list of common misconceptions has been created, discussions go here. It's nothing fancy, but I have no doubt it will eventually become the best page in the universe.

I pussied out and didn't include "Shinji accepts instrumentality in EoTV" on the list yet, because it is THE monster relic of all fandom controversies and it's going to need a very special treatment.

Likewise, I didn't include the following two items, because are we, like, totally-dingly sure about these?

- EVA-01 has nothing to do with Adam
- Only humans were complemented

These sound more like T&A pages to me... But then again, I have distanced myself from the seething core of the fandom so I don't know about any recent findings. Please edit if need be.

Then, a request: can we have a "part of the common misconceptions series" template (preferably with a small pic of Fuyutsuki facepalming)? LCL is a good example of a page where it could come in handy, after the "notes" subheading. We want to make these suckers stand out.

And then, we want them to die.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Common Misconceptions

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:36 pm

Dr. Nick wrote:I pussied out and didn't include "Shinji accepts instrumentality in EoTV" on the list yet, because it is THE monster relic of all fandom controversies and it's going to need a very special treatment.

Although, I think something like this should be included (not in misconceptions, mayhaps), but the argument has been pretty well summed up on MDWig's site; and I don't mind it being rewritten here.

Likewise, I didn't include the following two items, because are we, like, totally-dingly sure about these?

I don't know if they should be part of the "Common Misconceptions", as far as I know, there's plenty of good argument on both sides under the microscope.

hen, a request: can we have a "part of the common misconceptions series" template (preferably with a small pic of Fuyutsuki facepalming)?

That image rocks for a misconceptions page.

Also: http://evacommentary.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=114 which was kind of old, and there was a slightly newer one on ANF (used to be) that didn't have nearly as much discussion.

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:59 pm

I'm glad that you started work on this.

However, a single page like this should not exist.

It should be spread out amongst the relevant Theory and Analysis pages which will develop.

This might rapidly spiral into basically having something saying "it's a common misconception that the soul in Eva 00 is Rei I, it's really Naoko Akagi"

it basically reduces the "Theory and Analysis" pages from long, educational walk throughs of the arguement, to simply ordering people what to believe.

I'll leave up what you wrote for the moment but merge it into other things as it progresses.
Who is "Codename V"?....
I'm pleased to meet you and I hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game...so catch me if you can!! (0:50)
"Superior ability breeds superior ambition" -- Spock, Star Trek TOS episode 1.24 "Space Seed"
You say you say you want a REvolution?...
-->It was only after I lost everything, that I realized: I was free to do anything...

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:16 am

I agree with V, but the idea of having a slight separation between T&A and Misconceptions might be a good idea. I was trying to think of stuff that people think that has actually been flat out proven false... Maybe something like the Rei/Misato/Asuka beach hybrid girl? What else?
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:02 pm

Maybe something like the Rei/Misato/Asuka beach hybrid girl? What else?

Oh, there's going to be an entire article devoted to that :devil:

I've been thinking this over: don't worry yourself and just write what you feel like now, however you want.

The actual information you're writing is fine I just thought it might be better to shuffle it off onto more germane sections of other pages, but that's just me fiddling with it once you're done.

Continue as you were.
Who is "Codename V"?....
I'm pleased to meet you and I hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game...so catch me if you can!! (0:50)
"Superior ability breeds superior ambition" -- Spock, Star Trek TOS episode 1.24 "Space Seed"
-->It was only after I lost everything, that I realized: I was free to do anything...

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:21 pm

Dr. Nick wrote:Then, a request: can we have a "part of the common misconceptions series" template (preferably with a small pic of Fuyutsuki facepalming)?

It is done!
[Became an administrator on or before October 4th, 2007.]
May The Maths Be With You.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:47 pm

Dr. Nick wrote:are we, like, totally-dingly sure about these?

These sound more like T&A pages to me...

I agree.

BTW, DotS was implanted into the community consciousness well enough that I and others actually need to remind people that the idea was falsified. Maybe "Adam and Lilith never had a bitch-fight" should be on there, too... :bigeyes:
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Dr. Nick
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick » Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:06 am

02:57, 14 August 2007 UrsusArctos (Talk | contribs) (Andromeda Strain similarities completed, please let messenger theory stand until I find citations)

Holy shit, Ursus, that is some awesome work! I haven't even read the book myself, only seen the movie. I haven't read any of Crichton's works after reading Congo... -o-;

Do you own the movie yourself? If not, PM me your snail mail address and I'll send you the dvd once it arrives. Seriously, I'll give it to you for free, because it's proven that you are so much more qualified to dissect it than I am.

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:28 am

No, I don't own the movie. As a matter of fact, I have a 30-year old hardcover version with the pages threatening to fall off the spine, and I don't have the movie. I came across the "601" reference by sheer coincidence, and it was only when I was looking at the Wikipedia talk page for the NGE article that I spotted someone mentioning bits about the messenger theory and remembered what Andromeda was all about! I almost did a facepalm when I remembered that Andromeda was a grid of hexagons, one that switched itself on and off!

I don't have the DVD, and God knows where it's available where I live (India). I've fished out the old book, and I'm still reading it...I managed to pull off the whole decontamination thing and the race to stop a nuclear explosion out of my head, and I remember one of Leavitt's dreams: that of a house isolated from the rest of the world. I hope too many juicy details aren't gone with the missing pages, I'll get back if I find more references.

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Tue Aug 14, 2007 5:07 pm

ITDMMA, why do you live in India?
Who is "Codename V"?....

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:42 pm

ITDMMA? I'm not familiar with that acronym.

I'm an Indian from India, that's why I live there. (Curiously enough, I'm a native speaker of English- I was in the U.S. as a kid)

Just a reminder...umm...we're going a little off topic here.

As for Adam and Lilith having a b*tch fight, no, I don't see them waving those huge pitchforks about or tossing punches over their kiddies. CI be damned, it all makes more sense if FAR staged the Giant (First) Impact after all. With Adam put to sleep, Lilith on Earth, and Earth with a Moon (The Moon absorbs a lot of meteorites that could cause serious trouble for Lilim-type life), the FAR leave one or more copies of the Dead Sea Scrolls for the Lilim to find, and keep Adam skewered.

Adam and Lilith were within their original Moons (Satellites...I guess both of them were in orbit around the Earth and Moon billions of years ago), and the FAR hoped that the Lilim would send the two original seeds and the fourteen/fifteen children of Adam on their way as well as any new Seeds of Life that they might create. More messenger bugs! Humanity would live on from the creations of both the First (FAR) and Second(Lilim/Homo Sapiens) human races.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:56 pm

UrsusArctos wrote:As for Adam and Lilith having a b*tch fight, no, I don't see them waving those huge pitchforks about or tossing punches over their kiddies.

You know you'd be won over if Anno and company animated an awesome battle sequence driven by an apocalyptic classical chorus.

I don't think the FAR made any trips off their Homeworld. That's what the Seeds were for; and the Spears were there to do various mysterious things in the FAR's absence. Like skewering the Seed who rightfully "owns" a particular planet once another Seed crashes the party by virtue of "bad luck".

Satellites...I guess both of them were in orbit around the Earth and Moon billions of years ago

"Moon" is just what the carriers are called; they're not satellites.

Anyway. I think I'm going to add the "bitch fight" to Misconceptions, since it comes back to "torment" me often enough.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Dr. Nick
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick » Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:02 pm

Reichu wrote:The Dummy Plug Plant is the Chamber of Guf

Source/rationale, please? At least in the past anything and everything related to Guf used to be one big swamp of speculation...

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:38 pm

(Deleted)
Last edited by UrsusArctos on Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:38 pm

Reichu wrote:You know you'd be won over if Anno and company animated an awesome battle sequence driven by an apocalyptic classical chorus.

I don't think the FAR made any trips off their Homeworld. That's what the Seeds were for; and the Spears were there to do various mysterious things in the FAR's absence. Like skewering the Seed who rightfully "owns" a particular planet once another Seed crashes the party by virtue of "bad luck".

I'm not sure I would in this particular case.

How else do you explain the scrolls, or the spear in Adam? Or the fact that Lilim came so many billions of years after the FAR? They'd been about- I'm sure of that. They just wanted to leave lasting communication for those who came after them, since their own civilization wouldn't last forever.

Oh, and CI be damned.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:46 pm

Hmm, if the doors of guf implies that there is a chamber of guf, then unless there was a dummy plug plant in the white moon, it would imply that a chamber of guf != dummy plug plant because they said the doors of guf was opening during Adam's rampage.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:49 pm

Dr. Nick wrote:Source/rationale, please? At least in the past anything and everything related to Guf used to be one big swamp of speculation...

EoE wrote:Fuyutsuki:
The Chamber of Guf has been unsealed...
Have the doors to the world's beginning and end finally opened?

This is after big vulvae (which the script calls "Doors of Guf") form on GNR's palms. Whatever the Chamber of Guf is, it would require a great manifestation of Fuzzy Logic to conclude that it is a tank full of (dismembered) Rei clone corpses.

UrsusArctos wrote:They'd been about- I'm sure of that.

Blatant Speculation!

Oh, and CI be damned.

I don't see you rejecting it in its entirety...
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:51 pm

Let's just send a few messenger bugs to Anno-tachi and make sure that there are no miscommunications.

Dr. Nick
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick » Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:28 am

Reichu wrote:This is after big vulvae (which the script calls "Doors of Guf") form on GNR's palms. Whatever the Chamber of Guf is, it would require a great manifestation of Fuzzy Logic to conclude that it is a tank full of (dismembered) Rei clone corpses.

Okay, thanks for clarifying.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:40 pm

In terms of Common Misconceptions, were

"Anno made EoE as revenge"

and "Those death-threats were for EoTV" mentioned anywhere?

The latter especially is one I see A LOT on fan's web pages, though the former's a close second. People just don't seem to get those death-threats were written due to Death & Rebirth ending where it did.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Return to “Wiki Editing and Discussion”